Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,432 members, 7,823,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

Dos And Don’ts For Losing Weight - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dos And Don’ts For Losing Weight (1199 Views)

Getting Pregnant Fast: 6 Dos And Don’ts / The Dos And Don’ts Of Taking A Bath (and You Thought Baths Were No-brainers…) / Price Of Edmark Meal Replacement Therapy For Losing Weight 07085055001 Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dos And Don’ts For Losing Weight by Adesiji77: 10:42pm On Nov 10, 2014
Don’t skip meals: During the day when you’re active, your body needs maximum calories and nutrients. Missed meals may result in an unhealthy diet and may increase your risk of obesity. Eating meals, including a healthy snack at fairly regular times, may reduce impulse snacking, meal size and calorie intake.
Limit meat consumption: Meat is a major source of fat – keep portions under six ounces daily. Eat more servings of vegetables, fruits and whole grains.
Don’t starve yourself: If you’re on a diet that’s too strict, eventually you’ll go back to eating regular food. Unless you’ve learned how to eat a variety of healthy foods and still lose weight, you won’t achieve long-term weight control.
Exercise regularly: Any exercise burns calories. To promote weight loss from body fat, exercise at a moderate intensity for at least 30 to 60 minutes on most days of the week. Walking is a good form of exercise.
Drink water: Drinking water with your meal can help fill you up. Drinking water also slows the pace of your eating – and people who eat fast tend to overeat.
Weigh wisely: Daily weighing can be a helpful tool for some people who are trying to lose weight or prevent weight gain. But daily shifts in body water can show up as pounds on your scale. So keep this in mind and pay greater attention to trends in your weight.
Source: mayoclinic.com

Punch

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Dos And Don’ts For Losing Weight by Seun(m): 10:27am On Nov 11, 2014
In my opinion, meat is not what makes people fat; it's carbs. Carbohydrates are very cheap and easy to digest and so it's easier to over-eat when your diet is high in carbs. They digest quickly and soon you are hungry again, and they provide nothing but calories to your body.

Protein is hard to digest; 20-30% of the calories in protein are used to digest the protein, so the effective calories are low, and also helps to build your muscles if you exercise a lot, which is good because muscles burn calories. Fat is very rich in calories, just like carbohydrates, but hard to digest, so meals high in fat tend to make you feel full, thus contributing less to weight gain than carbohydrates.

In my opinion, based on my experience, the first step in every weight loss program should be getting rid of high carb foods like rice, indomie, eba, amala, fufu, yam, pap/custard, soft drinks, bread, and even most types of fruit juice. It's an effortless way to reduce your calorie intake. Replace them with beans, moin moin, akara, fish/meat/chicken in moderation, whole fruits (not juice), iced water, etc. I call it "effortless" because many low carb foods e.g. the ones above taste just as nice as high carb foods, so you're not missing much by sticking to them.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dos And Don’ts For Losing Weight by UjSizzle(f): 11:24am On Nov 11, 2014
Seun:
In my opinion, meat is not what makes people fat; it's carbs. Carbohydrates are very cheap and easy to digest and so it's easier to over-eat when your diet is high in carbs. They digest quickly and soon you are hungry again, and they provide nothing but calories to your body.

Protein is hard to digest; 20-30% of the calories in protein are used to digest the protein, so the effective calories are low, and also helps to build your muscles if you exercise a lot, which is good because muscles burn calories. Fat is very rich in calories, just like carbohydrates, but hard to digest, so meals high in fat tend to make you feel full, thus contributing less to weight gain than carbohydrates.

In my opinion, based on my experience, the first step in every weight loss program should be getting rid of high carb foods like rice, indomie, eba, amala, fufu, yam, pap/custard, soft drinks, and even most types of fruit juice. It's an effortless way to reduce your calorie intake. Replace them with beans, moin moin, akara, fish/meat/chicken in moderation, whole fruits (not juice), iced water, etc. I call it "effortless" because many low carb foods e.g. the ones above taste just as nice as high carb foods, so you're not missing much by sticking to them.
Well said. You should add bread to the list of foods to avoid.

1 Like

Re: Dos And Don’ts For Losing Weight by nwaobitex: 8:07pm On Nov 11, 2014
No Wonder ***

(1) (Reply)

NMA Vs JOHESU Vs FG: An Unnecessary Battle / Pls Help How Do I Burn My Buttocks Fat / If You Want To Live Long,read This (part 1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.