Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,402 members, 7,815,876 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

How To Charge 10x - 100x More Than The Average Nigerian (web) Programmer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How To Charge 10x - 100x More Than The Average Nigerian (web) Programmer (1273 Views)

Are Nigerian Web Devs Scared Of Java? / Make Mozilla 10x Times Faster / What Is The Average Salary Of A Php Programmer In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Charge 10x - 100x More Than The Average Nigerian (web) Programmer by sadcheese: 5:33pm On Nov 11, 2014
I just got back to Nigeria (after about 5+ years in California) and have been pretty disappointed with the standard programmer wage over here.

As a programmer in SF(San Fransisco), I was making roughly $1000 per web project and getting about 4-6 projects a month.

So you can understand my shock when a well respected company offered to pay me less than N100,000 to do some web work for them.

This is what they call an "insulting rate"

Since then I've been able to score some freelance gigs and brief employment opportunities that have brought me back up to my rate ($55/hour).

I'll get to how in a minute

From what I've seen, programmers over here allow themselves to be taking advantage of and in doing so. This is what is driving our average salary into the ground.

If you're curious on what I did to start charging Nigerian companies and Individuals about N9000 for an hour of my time, feel free to look up the following concepts

Copy writing(Marketing)
Content Marketing
Problem Isolation
Market Differentiation
Idea generation(in regards to monetization)
How to sell a Quality product

If your time is too valuable to go through the ups and downs of learning these skills on your own(or you just want to see my handsome face), I'll be happy to teach a month-long class where I help you make your first N50,000+

This class will not be free and will not happen if less than 9 people sign up(Not worth my time).

Also, a prerequisite to this class is to be able to program in Html/Css at the basic level.

The Class would be focused on learning to make that first N50,000 and then learning to double and triple your results. This is how I got started in SF and Lagos so I know it works.

Let me know what you think.

PS: I can't really understand how you guys write here in Nairaland so please use some plain English on me.

PSS: I'm leaving for South America in February so offer ends then.
Re: How To Charge 10x - 100x More Than The Average Nigerian (web) Programmer by WhiZTiM(m): 7:37pm On Nov 11, 2014

2 Likes

Re: How To Charge 10x - 100x More Than The Average Nigerian (web) Programmer by YourCrush: 10:18pm On Nov 11, 2014
Op, try and upgrade dis outdated trick of urs, else u go old o.

1 Like

Re: How To Charge 10x - 100x More Than The Average Nigerian (web) Programmer by sadcheese: 8:13am On Nov 12, 2014
YourCrush:
Op, try and upgrade dis outdated trick of urs, else u go old o.

Well I already gave out what I'm going to teach for free so you can choose to believe that it's helpful or not.
Here are some more resources

Research:
Derek Halpern(how to sell without being salesy video)
Fizzle Show Podcast
Foolish Adventure podcast.

If these dont make you over N50k in the next week then yes I am fool of shit. Otherwise, Shut the hell up.
Re: How To Charge 10x - 100x More Than The Average Nigerian (web) Programmer by stonemind(f): 3:35pm On Nov 12, 2014
lol Mr Americana god dey watch you through my IPhone 6+ HD camera oooo

(1) (Reply)

Testing My Codeigniter Skill / Steps To Sign In Facebook Account, Facebook Sign In, Facebook Sign Up / Get A Crash Course In Python #learnpython Part1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.