Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,337 members, 7,815,664 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech (2660 Views)

Buhari Inside His Presidential Jet (PHOTO) / Should Jonathan Have Declared His Presidential Ambition Despite The Bomb Blast? / Atiku Presidential Intent Declaration Speech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by ochejoseph(m): 6:11pm On Nov 11, 2014
Overall the GEJ’s presidential declaration was unique, no insults, no vulgar words, no abusive language very civil and gentlemanly

Over the years, the Almighty God has made it possible for me to develop a bond with you and I am grateful for your support and understanding in the difficult periods we have journeyed through.

Distinguished ladies and gentlemen, our stewardship has not been without challenges. We have had to deal with the wave of insurgency that has swept through some parts of our dear country. Only yesterday, Government Science Secondary School in Yobe State was bombed by insurgents, killing our promising young children who were seeking education to build the country and support their parents. Many Nigerians have lost their lives and property to these mindless killings. Let me crave the indulgence of all present here to stand up to observe a minutes silence in honour of these young lads who lost their lives. Clearly, this has cast a dark cloud on our Nation but we will surely win the war against terror. A number of young men and women have been kidnapped by these criminal elements including our daughters from Chibok. We will free our daughters and defeat terrorism.

This day affords me the opportunity to continue the conversation of development we started together

Our power generation and distribution companies have now been privatized. We are firmly on the road to guaranteed regular power supply in the months ahead. This our bold move, is paying off!
We are committed to environmental protection and conservation and reducing vulnerability to climate change. In this regard, we have embarked on a number of projects across the country. Of particular note is the African Great Green Wall Programme, where we have released about 16 billion naira for implementation. The project will create a green belt across 11 states from Kebbi to Borno.

Before the advent of this administration, the Railway system was practically dead. Today, we have revived the rail sector. The narrow gauge line from Lagos to Kano has been rehabilitated with improved coaches providing regular services. The rehabilitation of the Port Harcourt-Maiduguri rail line is progressing with the Port Harcourt-Gombe segment as well as the branch line from Kafanchan to Kaduna expected to be completed and fully operational by December 2014.
. Already, work on the Abuja-Kaduna standard gauge rail line, is progressing. The tracks of the rail line will be completed by December this year 2014. Upon completion of the project in the first quarter of 2015, it will be possible for Nigerians to live in Kaduna and work in Abuja. The Itape-Ajaokuta-Wari standard gauge line has attained an advanced stage, with the track completely laid. We hope to commence full operation before the end of 2015.

I am happy to also report that our ports now operate 24 hour service, which has led to the reduction of clearing time and improved efficiency.
When I assumed office in 2010, out of the 35,000km of federal roads nationwide, only about 5,000km were motorable. Today, that number has increased to about 25,000km. We expect to complete the remaining 10,000km in three years while initiating new ones.

. I made a commitment to build two new major bridges across the River Niger and River Benue. Today, the new bridge over the River Benue, connecting Loko in Nassarawa State to Oweto in Benue State has reached an advance stage of completion, while work has commenced on the Second Niger Bridge.[b][/b]

We have also succeeded in eliminating the long queues that previously characterised our filling stations, through regular and sustained product supply.

. Gas infrastructure to ensure adequate Gas to Power and Gas to Industry, is being aggressively put in place. Over 450km of gas pipelines have been installed over the last 3years. Another 2,000km is planned over the next 4years. Critical petrochemical and fertilizer facilities have commenced including the gas industrial park in Delta State, for which I am scheduled to perform the ground-breaking this Friday. This will create millions of jobs and make Nigeria a regional hub.

[b]We have changed the face of agriculture. We moved agriculture away from a development Programme to agriculture as a business. My vision is to create wealth for our people through agriculture.

We ended decades of corruption in the fertilizer and seed sectors. We developed a transparent and efficient system of reaching farmers directly with subsidized farm inputs. Before our reforms, fertilizer procurement and distribution took from the needy and gave to the greedy. We restored dignity back to farmers. Today, 14 million farmers, of which 2 million are women, access fertilizers with their mobile phones, through an e-wallet system. Nigeria is the first country in the world to develop an e-wallet system to reach farmers with subsidized farm inputs on their mobile phones. Several African countries are now borrowing this transparent and efficient e-wallet system for their own countries.
Our national food production expanded by an additional 21 million metric tons between 2011 and 2014, a record, exceeding our set target of 20 million metric tons set for 2015. The Dangote Group, has committed to invest $US 1 billion in commercial rice production and processing. With all these developments, we are expected to be an exporter of rice in the next five years. This will be a new dawn![/b]

The benefits are showing on our food imports. Our food import bill has declined from 1.1 trillion Naira in 2009 to 684 billion Naira by December 2013, even with our increasing population, a reduction of 40%.. Nigeria met its Millennium Development Goal One on reducing hunger and extreme poverty, two years ahead of 2015 target set by the United Nations, and was given an award by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.

In our journey to progress, knowledge is indispensable. Knowledge is power! This is why my administration established 14 new Universities out of which 12 are conventional and two are specialized Police and Maritime Universities. Under my watch, every state in Nigeria, now has a Federal University.

Fellow Nigerians, our country was faced with a major National security, humanitarian, and economic threat in the form of the Ebola Virus Disease, which arrived in the country on July 20, 2014, by way of a foreign national, Mr Patrick Sawyer..
Realizing the imminent threat, I declared a national emergency, pulling states, local and federal government into action as well as individual Nigerians to combat this disease. Without the quick action of patriotic Nigerians in the First Consultant Hospital, as well as the co-operation of Lagos and Rivers State, where the disease occurred, working with the Federal Ministry of Health and the co-operation of all Nigerians we could not have succeeded in overcoming this deadly disease. Fellow Nigerians we stopped Ebola together.
Our support for cement production is unprecedented. We have increased our installed capacity from 16.5 million metric tons per annum in 2011 to 39.5 million metric tons per annum in 2014. Nigeria is now exporting cement. We are moving forward! We must produce what we consume and consume what we produce.

. Our efforts to create an enabling environment for job creation in different sectors of the economy including the MSME sector, agriculture, housing and manufacturing have yielded results. Between the third quarter of 2012, when we started tracking jobs created and the end of 2013, 1.9 million jobs were created. To deepen our success in this area, I have created a Presidential Jobs Creation Board headed by the Vice President with the mandate to create at least two million jobs a year.
My brothers and sisters, our economy is heading in the right direction and our efforts are yielding positive results. Our economy continues to grow at the rate of 6 to 7 percent annually, one of the highest in the world. Our country is now the top investment destination and the largest economy in Africa, with a GDP of 80trillion naira (510billion dollars) as well as the 26th largest economy in the world.
. Specifically, I doubled the percentage of women in the cabinet and gave them more challenging assignments.

The Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA), is now admitting female cadets as regular combatants and it is now possible for a woman to rise through the ranks to the peak in military service, and become a full general.

We must continue to sustain the banner of freedom and justice that we have held high in our country. I am proud to say that there are no political prisoners in Nigeria today. No Nigerian has been driven to exile and no one will be, under my watch.
It is in furtherance of a peaceful, participatory and inclusive democracy that I signed the Freedom of Information (FOI) Bill into law, to expand the frontiers of our fundamental freedom.
Let me re-affirm that under a Jonathan Presidency, your views, no matter how freely expressed, will not send you to prison or into exile.

. So many things have inspired me in the journey to this moment. I want to appreciate ordinary Nigerians, especially young people, for the solidarity shown to me by contributing their meagre resources to enable me arrive at this point.
. I appreciate the kind gesture of the Cattle Breeders Union, Miyetti Allah, and the Market Women Association, who encouraged me by coming together to contribute to the purchase of my Nomination form.
In the same vein, I am touched by the National Association of Widows who also encouraged me with their widow’s mite.

. This labour of love, from ordinary Nigerians, has increased my appreciation of your solidarity, my trust in our joint destiny, and all we have achieved together these past three and half years.
. Therefore, after seeking the face of God, in quiet reflection with my family and having listened to the call of our people nationwide to run, I, Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan, have accepted to re-present myself, on the platform of The Peoples’ Democratic Party, for re-election as the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, in the 2015 general elections.
. My brothers and sisters, we cannot go back to the old ways! Our railways were allowed to rot in neglect, we have revived and are modernising them.
. We cannot go back to the old ways! Our road infrastructure collapsed. We are reconstructing, and expanding federal roads across the country.
82. We cannot go back to the old ways! Our airport terminal buildings were dilapidated and our airspace unsafe. We are fixing this.
We cannot go back to the old ways! Our agricultural practices did not benefit our farmers and our people. Fertilizer distribution was a major source of fraud and we were importing food more than our budget can carry. Now we are on our way to self-sufficiency in food production.
Do you want to go back to the old ways?
. We cannot go back to the old ways, where there were long queues at our filling stations due to irregular supply of products and our people were exploited.
We cannot go back to the old ways, when women and youths were denied opportunities in government and in responsible positions.
Do you want to go back to the old ways?
We cannot go back to the old ways! We had skewed distribution of tertiary institutions. Whereas some states had more than one degree awarding institution, some had none. We have now made sure all states have at least one Federal University.
We cannot go back to the old ways! Our economy is now the largest in Africa. Once, we were virtually importing everything, now we are exporting several products, including cement.

We cannot go back to the old ways! In 2009, average life expectancy was 47 years, by the end of 2013, it was 52 years. Some of our hospitals now perform open heart surgeries, kidney transplants and other challenging operations as we reposition our health service to end decades of medical tourism that drains our scarce resources.

. We cannot go back to the old ways where individual freedoms were trampled upon and citizens were locked up for expressing their views or criticising government.

[b]
. We have to move forward! Only forward!!, my dear people, Forward!!!
In moving forward, I see a Nigeria that thirsts for progress with children across the nation, eager for knowledge and safely in schools!
. I see a Nigeria where all who have taken up arms, would again embrace peace!
I see a Nigeria where our women can aspire to any heights, without hindrance!
. I see a Nigeria where the flames in the Eagles will rekindle, and the Falcons soaring higher in victory!
. I see a Nigeria where the children of Mustapha, and Christopher, Ade and Ada, Timi and Bunmi, Nnamdi and Namadi, do not go hungry!
I see a Nigeria where all, no matter their beliefs, live in peace and harmony!
. I see a Nigeria where the green passport is accorded a royal reception the world over!
. I see a Nigeria where one day the next generation will take us to outer space.
Distinguished ladies and gentlemen, leadership is about staying focused to achieve goals despite challenges. I have been faced with many challenges since coming to office as President. With your support and encouragement, we have stayed the course.
. We are succeeding, against all odds. For the young Nigerian child, who grew up in the rural area, just like me, we are expanding opportunities and giving them hope. For the market woman, we are expanding opportunities. For our young entrepreneurs, we are expanding opportunities. For the right of our people to vote and for their voices to be heard, we are expanding opportunities. For Nigerians to have the right to free speech, we are expanding opportunities. For the job seekers, against all odds, we are expanding opportunities.
My people, Nigeria is destined for greatness. Today, here at Eagle Square, I say to Nigeria, that working together in love, in strength and in faith, we will build a nation of one people, united in purpose and in action.

. Fellow Nigerians, it is forward ever! We must put our hopes to work! Together, we will realize our collective destiny.
Thank you!. God bless Nigeria!!
[/b]

19 Likes

Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by mrvitalis(m): 6:24pm On Nov 11, 2014
this man is a joke

4 Likes

Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by Sibrah: 6:24pm On Nov 11, 2014
After so much blood has been shed, jona finally declear . . . PDP should learn to settle conflicts internally on time.
Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by klodike(m): 6:25pm On Nov 11, 2014
Well aside the insurgency thing, jonathan has done fairly good.

22 Likes

Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by denko(m): 6:25pm On Nov 11, 2014
masterstroke

10 Likes

Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by stebell(m): 6:26pm On Nov 11, 2014
nice write up.
Great men give such inspiring speech whereas
desperate men tell their masses to vote only a muslim in the election.
desperate men hav nothing to say other than to attack a great man and his party in all their speeches.

GEJ the masses are behind yu.
No desperate man will take over.
Never.

27 Likes

Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by gtrust: 6:27pm On Nov 11, 2014
Yes oh!
Carry go my presidio!!

You got my vote!

11 Likes

Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by Nobody: 6:31pm On Nov 11, 2014
You expect me yo read this long thing because of GEJ?
Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by Nobody: 6:42pm On Nov 11, 2014
Nice Speech

4 Likes

Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 11, 2014
That is a Presidential Candidate talking!

Some others are calling for blood.

Jonathan we solidly behind you.

15 Likes

Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by kasiem(m): 6:52pm On Nov 11, 2014
hypocrisy is when a person would rather support his father who has been enslaving him with almajiri plate than his neighbour who emancipated him with almajiri school, then, tell us he is progressive.

11 Likes

Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by Dannyset(m): 7:04pm On Nov 11, 2014
Written by Abati
Edited by Okupe
Read by Drunken fisherman.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by omenka(m): 7:07pm On Nov 11, 2014

Before the advent of this administration, the Railway
system was practically dead. Today, we have revived the
rail sector. The narrow gauge line from Lagos to Kano
has been rehabilitated with improved coaches providing
regular services....

Now tell us Mr President, before the advent of your admin:

- How many politicians were convicted for corrupt practices?? How many have been convicted under you??

- How many convicted felons were granted state pardon and given National honours?? How many have been granted and given under your admin??

- How much was spent on fuel subsidy?? How much is being spent and why?? Despite the fact that you partially removed subsidy with Nigerians paying higher for the product.

- How much was the price
- How much was being spent on feeding by the presidency?? How much do you spend??

- How many bombs went off in the country?? How many have under your watch??

- How many soldiers were lost in battle?? Have many have been lost under you??

- How many unemployed youths died in a recruitment exercise?? How many have died so far under your admin??

- How frequent were nationwide strikes?? How frequent are they now??

- How many bombs went off in the country?? How many have so far??

- How many kids were whisked away in their sleep by some marauding ragheads?? How many have been so far??

- What was the size of territory lost to some enemies of State?? What size is under their control now??

- What was the defense budget and how efficient was the NA?? What's the story now??

Etc etc etc.

Nigerians are not foolish Mr president.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by omenka(m): 7:10pm On Nov 11, 2014
Heard in the news this evening: "Jonathan declares to contest presidential election in 2015. Pledges to eradicate poverty and end corruption".
And I was like "wtf"!! grin

1 Like

Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by Nobody: 7:12pm On Nov 11, 2014
cool cool

5 Likes

Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by stebell(m): 7:19pm On Nov 11, 2014
Dont deceive yourself spokeswoman of Nland Janjaweeeeds, ur Buhari the Taliban cannot be president.

Like seriously, is Buhari the best yu rodents can offer?

I see a landslide, waterslide, airslide for GEJ come 2015.

11 Likes

Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by kasiem(m): 7:27pm On Nov 11, 2014
omenka:

- How many politicians were convicted for corrupt practices?? How many have been convicted under you??

- How many convicted felons were granted state pardon and given National honours?? How many have been granted and given under your admin??

- How much was spent on fuel subsidy?? How much is being spent and why?? Despite the fact that you partially removed subsidy with Nigerians paying higher for the product.

- How much was the price
- How much was being spent on feeding by the presidency?? How much do you spend??

- How many unemployed youths died in a recruitment exercise?? How many have died so far under your admin??

- How many kids were whisked away in their sleep by some marauding ragheads?? How many have been so far??

- What was the size of territory lost to some enemies of State?? What size is under their control now??

- What was the defense budget and how efficient was the NA?? What's the story now??

Etc etc etc.

the state pardon is meant for ex convicts and not for people that have not done anything, just like aregbesola pardoned two murderers in osun state and the way christ forgave a criminal on the cross of calvary. before this president we lost the entire country to few oligarchs without who controlled us without challenge like the way our gallant soldiers are out challenging the cowards that are just trying to flex muscle in few parts of the north. before, the president there was no much job opportunities let alone having recruitment exercise that would endanger lives rather the jobs were shared by govt cronies and our youths died unnoticed in their rooms. before the president people feared of going on strike cos we practiced pseudo democracy but now everybody does what he like cos we have full democracy workin remember what peter esele said at the convention. before this president the defense budget was lesser cos we never had any bigger challenge like we are having now etc

6 Likes

Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by san316(m): 7:28pm On Nov 11, 2014
I would have been amazed if this were not a speech written by a group of professional speech writers. I have never voted but now I will, and my first vote would be a vote to remove GEJ. Even though he wins, I know I will never regret voting him out. #AnyOneElseButGEJ

2 Likes

Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by ichidodo: 7:30pm On Nov 11, 2014
Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by tope777(m): 7:36pm On Nov 11, 2014
stebell:
Dont deceive yourself spokeswoman of Nland Janjaweeeeds, ur Buhari the Taliban cannot be president.

Like seriously, is Buhari the best yu rodents can offer?

I see a landslide, waterslide, airslide for GEJ come 2015.
Humanityside, spiritualityslide grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by gists: 7:41pm On Nov 11, 2014
kasiem:
the state pardon is meant for ex convicts and not for people that have not done anything, just like aregbesola pardoned two murderers in osun state and the way christ forgave a criminal on the cross of calvary. before this president we lost the entire country to few oligarchs without who controlled us without challenge like the way our gallant soldiers are out challenging the cowards that are just trying to flex muscle in few parts of the north. before, the president there was no much job opportunities let alone having recruitment exercise that would endanger lives rather the jobs were shared by govt cronies and our youths died unnoticed in their rooms. before the president people feared of going on strike cos we practiced pseudo democracy but now everybody does what he like cos we have full democracy workin remember what peter esele said at the convention. before this president the defense budget was lesser cos we never had any bigger challenge like we are having now etc
dumbest post ever. At the bolded. Hasn't the situation worsen under this administration?
Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by gulfer: 7:43pm On Nov 11, 2014
Only 4likes for this epistle, pointer that Nigerians ain't impressed.
Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by Nobody: 7:44pm On Nov 11, 2014
omenka:

- How much was the price

Etc etc etc.

Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by samilo88(m): 7:44pm On Nov 11, 2014
When u watch Mr president's declaration, u ll see the difference between a born winner and a wannabe craving attention. The oppositions were given a total knock out by the speech and declaration today. Having watched various declarations by the APC, all I can say is they have no agenda for Nigeria. They are only concerned about removing GEJ hence the constant mention of his name. Besides, am yet to see the president mention APC in any of his speeches. Does it mean he is so clueless that he doesn't know the party exist.

6 Likes

Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by kasiem(m): 7:45pm On Nov 11, 2014
gists:

dumbest post ever. At the bolded. Hasn't the situation worsen under this administration?
i would've been the dumbest person if i'd expected u to say the contrary. the facts, truth and common sense are enemies to u guys nah

3 Likes

Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by vedaxcool(m): 7:46pm On Nov 11, 2014
Aljazeera jonathan declares for presidency 24hrs after 50 people died in a sucide bombing!

That is sort of cord he has with nigeria, one were life is short, brutish and unacknowledged!

Vote incompetence out 2015
Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by Kinkale(m): 7:49pm On Nov 11, 2014
Nairaland meets here too.. Try to attend the Nairaland presidential declaration campaign o
Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by hillsate: 7:53pm On Nov 11, 2014
Guys,
anybody can read a written speech.
We need a presidential aspirant who can face other contestants in debate to drive home what he stands for and what he intends to achieve and not just to read. Stop expressing the old ways to us.
Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by gists: 8:03pm On Nov 11, 2014
kasiem:
i would've been the dumbest person if i'd expected u to say the contrary. the facts, truth and common sense are enemies to u guys nah

Pls read what you posted again and sincerely answer my question:

kasiem:

I will ask the question again: Has the situation not gotten worse under this administration?
Has the entire nation not been hijacked by few oligarchs without who controlled us without challenge? How do you explain a situation where a nation's territorial water security has been removed from the navy and given to a known militant?
Has the common wealth of the nation not being stolen at a rate never seen before to the extent that the oil companies are complaining of oil theft and are now down-sizing heavily?
Has the coward flexing muscles in the north not made Nigerian Army run for their dear lives for the first time in the history of this country? Have those cowards not taken control of an entire community in this country while our president is not even bordered and is busy commissioning stadium?
Have the employment situation improved? How many of those thousands of applicants that sat for the NIS recruitment (which sadly claimed the lives of some Nigerians) have been employed after being scammed of their money?
Were there no strike under OBJ? How come you attribute the strike under GEJ as his gift of freedom of speech for us -this is really shameful.

You and I know the list is virtually endless. But you said the facts, truth and common sense are enemies to us. Pls tell us how these are not the facts?
Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by OreMI22: 8:27pm On Nov 11, 2014
Truth be told, GEJ is steadily transforming Nigeria.

The same politicians that stole and created all these problems in Nigeria have today run to APC to give them another opportunity to comeback and loot again. Why can't APC get fresh blood and discard all these former coup plotters, Hell rufai and Atiku with his stinking corruption profile?

[size=19pt]Abeg GEJ deserves a 2nd term!!! [/size]

Away with the Janjaweeed thieves and terrorists.

6 Likes

Re: Major Cords Struck By The President In His Presidential Declaration Speech by Chigold101(m): 9:32pm On Nov 11, 2014
Onething i like about this speech is that it is void of name calling. I didnt see nywhere where APC, APGA, or any other opposition party or human being was mentioned. This is what is called MATURITY

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tambuwal: Tension Mounts As Reps Reconvene Today / Who Is The Best APC Aspirant For President? / A Nairalander Prophesied Buhari Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.