Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,245 members, 7,836,165 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:49 PM

Why Is This Section Boring? - Art, Graphics & Video (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Why Is This Section Boring? (3675 Views)

Pictures Of Me; That's What This Section Is For. / Is This Section(graphics And Video) Becoming Boring? / Beautify This Section With Your Works. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is This Section Boring? by sojioguns(m): 2:06pm On Nov 28, 2008
Like i have said in a similar thread, I am trying to do what i can. It isn't that easy running a production company, budgets, director's treatments, meetings, actual project executions and still have time for a lot of 'Nairaland' time. Let's not forget that I am a family man with a daughter. Whew!
Re: Why Is This Section Boring? by uspry1(f): 2:19pm On Nov 28, 2008
sojioguns:

Like i have said in a similar thread, I am trying to do what i can. It isn't that easy running a production company, budgets, director's treatments, meetings, actual project executions and still have time for a lot of 'Nairaland' time. Let's not forget that I am a family man with a daughter. Whew!

@sojioguns

I am the same boat as you are, I am single mother of nearby grown adults(actually teenagers). One at age 15 still in high school and the other 20 still in college.

I still have my own time management to balance everything working at home including Nairaland time as moderator everyday exclude holidays and my birthday.
Re: Why Is This Section Boring? by neo2(m): 2:38pm On Nov 28, 2008
gotta say wow! shocked . u na dey try. but u guys, seriously do u think we have a lot of good (international standard) graphics guys here. i know we have some, which i happen to know peresonally but do we really have alot of them here on this forum? i see alot of people's works and it's just ok. like a friend likes to say "learners edition" kinda work. but overall if i was to rate i'll say 30%.
Re: Why Is This Section Boring? by sojioguns(m): 3:52pm On Nov 28, 2008
Neo, If all you want to do is evaluate the level of graphics expertise on Nairaland, why don't you start with yourself? What the industry needs is encouragement that would lead to improvement not your kind of attitude. We are a growing industry.
You are not in any position to rate the work here and the term "learners' edition" is more like an insult to people who have actually contributed to the industry. You should encourage people.
Re: Why Is This Section Boring? by sojioguns(m): 4:41pm On Nov 28, 2008
@uspry1
I just went through your profile page and read your posts and, Oh my God! You are such an inspiration. I can't believe I have missed that all this while. We need more people like you around. God bless you madamme.
Re: Why Is This Section Boring? by neo2(m): 4:48pm On Nov 28, 2008
i did'nt mean it that way! i try to encourage people who's works i find good.this is'nt primary school man. how am i suppose to encourage someone who's work is'nt good? tell them it's ok? oh, or tell them its good abi? this is graphics we are talking about, it either good or it's not. and i can rate anybody's job here,i dont need to be an administrator or work in an advertising acency or a television station. and i'm sick of this nigerian approach to things "we are a growing industry", "what the industry needs is encouragement". what industry. the industry is grown enough my brother. i was talking about nairaland graphic artists not  "the industry". And evaluation bros, is a way of encouragement. believe it or not. you make me sound like some bad guy, i'm just expressing my feelings man.
Re: Why Is This Section Boring? by uspry1(f): 4:59pm On Nov 28, 2008
sojioguns:

@uspry1
I just went through your profile page and read your posts and, Oh my God! You are such an inspiration. I can't believe I have missed that all this while. We need more people like you around. God bless you madamme.

Thank you for compliment!
Re: Why Is This Section Boring? by sojioguns(m): 5:09pm On Nov 28, 2008
No pun intended to Seun or other moderators, but what form of regulation is in place for Nairaland graphic designers? Nairaland is a forum and when signing up we are not asked to fax our graphic design CVs. Whether you are sick or not of my statement doesn't change the fact that we are actually a growing industry (graphic design). I am now a TV producer but started my career as a graphic designer. How may schools/institutions offer either as a course? Apart from being self-taught how else do newbies get on the train? Yes a few people are exceptional and learnt a lot themselves but as D'banj said, "Ori yato s'Ori"
Evaluation can be a form of encouragement but your kind of evaluation could be derogatory to people. Please let us help them. If you are a practitioner in the industry, you could easily take on an intern or two and after a while, they get better and the chain reaction goes on. I have been doing it for a while and I am happy at the outcome.
Re: Why Is This Section Boring? by neo2(m): 6:55pm On Nov 28, 2008
although i dont agree with you, i'll rest my case. this particular post is'nt for our arguements. so more works please!
Re: Why Is This Section Boring? by smartsoft(m): 7:43pm On Nov 28, 2008
omo sojio you get time ooo, i don't like contributing to trash like this, i respect you oo sojio, bone abeg,
Re: Why Is This Section Boring? by uspry1(f): 8:57pm On Nov 28, 2008
There is nothing wrong with posting your own graphic design CV here! Even TV producer CV! 3-D Developer CV! Whatever CV is as long as you adhere NL rules. NO SPAMMING! NO ILLEGAL/PIRACY GRAPHIC-VIDEO EDITING SOFTWARE! NO OFFENDED POSTING!

Never know one or two of those NL members could be company human resources staff look for GOOD QUALITY GRAPHIC/VIDEO DESIGNERS to hire when they spot CV enclosed on NL posting on GRAPHICS/VIDEO section.

If i was in your shoe as TV producer recruit more experienced creative designers, I would build my own Flash-PHP based mini-job seeker registration email form submission with limited 3 required sample work/url links directly to your website email address setting on your own limited deadline hiring application date.

Use "Insert Flash" tag button above the relying a post, like this below code and see sample picture what flash-based mini-registration form looks like posting on any forum/blog/website of your own:

[flash=300,344]www.yourflash_registration.swf[/flash]

Re: Why Is This Section Boring? by Yolu: 9:36pm On Nov 28, 2008
Ok, here's my two cents (pence? kobo?): There's nothing wrong with being honest about one's opinion of other people's work. I'm of the opinion that if you don't want people to criticise your work then don't put it up in the public domain. However, there's a difference between tearing down someone's efforts and giving constructive criticism.

Tearing down: OMG your work sux!!!!111oneone
Constructive criticism: Your work is ok but it looks like there's too much,  or I would've done it like this,  or you could do this,

I've been in and out of a few forums in my day (oh to have that kind of time again!) and the common reasons for the early demise of graphics showcase threads is due to non-constructive criticism. In addition, I don't think there's anything particularly Nigerian about encouraging anyone who contributes their work on the forum - I would have thought it was just common courtesy. I believe firmly in the saying, "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all." Besides, as others have mentioned, Nairaland isn't our main gig - I myself I'm in the middle of a PhD and run a Graphic/Web design business so time is a precious commodity. In any case, I would think many of those who showcase their work would reserve their best for paying clients wink

Thank you to those who commented (positively or otherwise) on my submission. I really hope this thread sees more contributions. Keep up the good work Soji smiley
Re: Why Is This Section Boring? by neo2(m): 10:53pm On Nov 28, 2008
[size=18pt]Q:[/size]
but u guys, seriously do u think we have a lot of good (international standard) graphics guys here. i know we have some, which i happen to know peresonally but do we really have alot of them here on this forum? i see alot of people's works and it's just ok. like a friend likes to say "learners edition" kind of work. but overall if i was to rate i'll say 30%.

[size=18pt]A:[/size]
Neo, If all you want to do is evaluate the level of graphics expertise on Nairaland, why don't you start with yourself? What the industry needs is encouragement that would lead to improvement not your kind of attitude. We are a growing industry.
You are not in any position to rate the work here and the term "learners' edition" is more like an insult to people who have actually contributed to the industry. You should encourage people.

[size=18pt]A:[/size]
omo sojio you get time ooo, i don't like contributing to trash like this, i respect you oo sojio, bone abeg,

, and sooooo on. what exactly did i say wrong?
Re: Why Is This Section Boring? by OKX(m): 11:05pm On Nov 28, 2008
my thots:

be nasty, nice, rate, encourage, critique even insult- bottomline, its just an opinion/statement NOT necessarily fact/truth!

one mans 'crappy' is another mans 'genius', so who cares anyway?
Picasso cant draw to save his life- (my opinion!) i am sure over 2 billion people disagree,

like uve all said, this is a public forum- expecting people to act the way u approve of is an unrealistic thing 2 do.

@ neo
if u think the graphics here suck, go ahead n say it! its called freedom of speech.

on the 'boring' thing, its highly subjective. what defines 'exciting' and 'boring' 4 u?
was surprised everyone seemed to just go along with it, like the statement was fact- i personally dont think the section is boring.

however, if the statement were to be true, then the section would be boring cos the people are boring, as are their lives- cos for a true graphic artist, his art is his life.

, and there u have it!
Re: Why Is This Section Boring? by neo2(m): 11:31pm On Nov 28, 2008
no no, i dont think the graphics here suck! atleast not all of it. i just dont understand why im being attacked. and the funny thing is soji might not know it but he doesnt really mean this section is boring,what he means is there is'nt a lot of work & ideas in this section. it not necessarilly boring if u ask me, but the works are (kinda) which was the exact reason i made that comment. anyways, whatever.
Re: Why Is This Section Boring? by OKX(m): 11:48pm On Nov 28, 2008
dude, if u say ur overall rating for the work uve seen is 30%- thats like saying the graphics suck- and thats precisely why u r being attacked.
u even expanded further by calling the works boring- thats like calling everyone to battle, the one useful thing uve said tho is 'anyways, whateva', cos thats the general attitude.
u just expressed ur opinion, u dont have to defend it!

i think some entries r crappy, have even posted a few of those myself.
like i said, one mans exciting is anotha mans boring.
Re: Why Is This Section Boring? by neo2(m): 12:07am On Nov 29, 2008
but its true. if i was to rate nairaland graphics section (vs worldwide) i'll be 30%. i'm sorry man but its true. this is based on what i've seen here. it doesnt mean these guys dont have better works locked up somewhere. and i didnt call anybody's work boring. pls quote me if i said so. i would have ask you to generally rate this section too but im you might be affraid of being attacked. lol. it only makes sense to be able to defend what you say man but i get what you're saying though.
Re: Why Is This Section Boring? by OKX(m): 12:29am On Nov 29, 2008
wouldnt rate, not for fear of attack but cos it doesnt achieve anything 4 me.
am done with this particular conversation tho, have made all my contributions to it.

cheers man
Re: Why Is This Section Boring? by smartsoft(m): 1:11pm On Nov 29, 2008
Welcome back neo !you the best  shocked
neo.:

but its true. if i was to rate nairaland graphics section (vs worldwide) i'll be 30%. i'm sorry man but its true. this is based on what i've seen here. it doesnt mean these guys don't have better works locked up somewhere. and i didnt call anybody's work boring. please quote me if i said so. i would have ask you to generally rate this section too but I'm you might be affraid of being attacked. lol. it only makes sense to be able to defend what you say man but i get what you're saying though.

(1) (2) (Reply)

50% Discount On Flyer Designs Now!!! / USA Used Nikon D5200 Camera, 24.1 Megapixels(Sold) / RCCG Logo In Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.