Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,863 members, 7,824,590 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art (3798 Views)

A Lady Turned To Michael Jackson By A Makeup Artist (pics) / Check Out This Pen Art Of Michael Jackson / Free Photoshop Cs5 E-book!!! Beginners & Advanced!!!! Grab Your Free Copy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by Surplus90(m): 12:30pm On Nov 13, 2014
Artist Michael Grab is a master of rock balancing
– he can pile them up in all sorts of gravity-
defying formations, and believe it or not, there’s
no glue involved.
Michael calls his art a ‘contemplative stone
arrangement’ that involves ‘patience, adaptation,
slow-breathing, steady hands and a plethora of
other practiced skills’. His project, called ‘Gravity
Glue’, has him balancing rocks of all shapes and
capturing the impossible-looking structures on
camera.
“I began balancing rocks through somewhat of a
whim in the summer of 2008 while exploring
Boulder Creek in Boulder, CO, USA,” he says.
“Since then, simple curiosity has evolved into a
prolific creative passion, and daily meditative
practice.” He claim that his creations have a
unique effect on himself and others – they inspire
a sense of magic and peace, a sense that
anything is possible.
According to Michael, the balancing technique
requires a minimum of three contact points. While
every rock is covered with several indentations
that could serve as contact points, his job is to
find the ‘finest point balances’ by paying close
attention to ‘vibrations’. He does this by ‘getting
to know’ the rocks, and his intuition and
experience come in handy while trying to locate
these particular points of balance.
“The most fundamental element of balancing in a
physical sense is finding some kind of ‘tripod’ for
the rock to stand on. I’m basically feeling the
vibrations of the rocks as they kind of roll over
one another,” he explained. “Whenever it rolls over
one of those notches, it kind of clicks or locks
until you really can’t go anywhere else.”

Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by Surplus90(m): 12:34pm On Nov 13, 2014
The idea of rocks simply ‘clicking’ together like
lego blocks sounds too fantastic to be true, but
that’s what makes it more fun for Michael. “When
somebody sees something they think is
impossible, it has a really interesting impact on
the person’s mind as they try to argue with their
senses,” he said.
Michael uses his rock balancing skill as a
performance art – he creates unique rock
formations in front of spectators, who are simply
amazed by what he can do. “Mystical”, “magical”,
and “impossible” are some words people have
used to describe his work. And Michael likes to
add a bit of mischief to his performance as well:
“I just go up and tap one in the middle and it just
collapses. And everyone is like [gasp!] So I just
like, get down, start making it again. Make it a
tiny bit different.”
Michael guesses that he might be one of only five
professional rock balancers in the world. He said
that he’s passionate about it because it is a ‘fun
way to relax, release stress, play, create, learn’.
He also described it as a ‘fairly involved
meditative practice, which seems to reveal very
personal, and sometimes profound insights to the
seasoned practitioner’.
“There is nothing easy about it,” he admitted. “It
can frustrate me to my limits, and then I learn. Or
it can reveal magic beyond words, and I learn.
Sometimes the rock wins, but most of the time I
win.”
You cancheck out more pictures of his
spectacular work at his website: www.gravityglue.com

Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by Surplus90(m): 12:37pm On Nov 13, 2014
more...

Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by Surplus90(m): 12:38pm On Nov 13, 2014

Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by Nobody: 1:00pm On Nov 13, 2014
na jazz
Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by Edwinmason(m): 1:04pm On Nov 13, 2014
Big jazz
Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by coreseam: 2:34pm On Nov 13, 2014
See one of his You tube videos.
its simply shocked shocked shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHVLi8LA_0Q

a 13 minutes plus video.

its really about patience imagine from 6:40 minutes to 11:48minutes (5 minutes) he was trying to balance the last rock.

Skill of amazing depth. cool
Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by Onegai(f): 4:08pm On Nov 13, 2014
Heavenly Father, in my next life, you HAVE to make me a white person. My brain must be this evolved. grin grin

These are like zen, so calming and inspiring.
Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by iyisco2001(m): 4:20pm On Nov 13, 2014
shocked jisos. this is pure witchcraft o(Nigerian grin mentality). nice one.
Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by Surplus90(m): 4:39pm On Nov 13, 2014
Edwinmason:
Big jazz
everything na jazz?...sometimes, it takes him 5 to 6 mins to balance a single rock...u can learn from his patience, endurance and concentration... if u like
Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by Surplus90(m): 4:44pm On Nov 13, 2014
coreseam:
See one of his You tube videos.
its simply shocked shocked shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHVLi8LA_0Q

a 13 minutes plus video.

its really about patience imagine from 6:40 minutes to 11:48minutes (5 minutes) he was trying to balance the last rock.

Skill of amazing depth. cool
when I watch his video I find it inspirational... his concentration, calmness, Patience... its amazing
Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 13, 2014
Surplus90:
everything na jazz?...sometimes, it takes him 5 to 6 mins to balance a single rock...u can learn from his patience, endurance and concentration... if u like

very jazz-like concentration, jazz-like patience and jazz-like endurance.. but its cool. seen magicians do feats that surpass this. not saying that he is possessed but you got to admit it does seem beyond human faculties
Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by Surplus90(m): 9:52pm On Nov 13, 2014
voltron:

very jazz-like concentration, jazz-like patience and jazz-like endurance.. but its cool. seen magicians do feats that surpass this. not saying that he is possessed but you got to admit it does seem beyond human faculties
yea I understand...it does seem out of human faculties but no great accomplishments ever seem possible...
Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by Emmaesty(f): 11:12pm On Nov 13, 2014
Wow!!!! I can't keep my mouth closed, this is really amazing. He is really talented but in countries like Nigeria, the talent would have been discouraged. I think i should try and balance spoons(who knows, i might have the talent) grin grin grin
Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by sunddy: 8:19am On Nov 14, 2014
I knows! (dat igbo man) He was living at the back of our house in d 1880s
Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by prof800(m): 8:33am On Nov 14, 2014
Emmaesty:
Wow!!!! I can't keep my mouth closed, this is really amazing. He is really talented but in countries like Nigeria, the talent would have been discouraged. I think i should try and balance spoons(who knows, i might have the talent) grin grin grin

Me too!

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

When you think there is no more talent and you see this unbelievable work... shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by Surplus90(m): 11:08am On Nov 14, 2014
prof800:

Me too!

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

When you think there is no more talent and you see this unbelievable work... shocked shocked shocked shocked
just when u think theirs no more talent bro...
Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by Edwinmason(m): 6:08pm On Nov 16, 2014
Surplus90:
they are something endurance and patience can nt do check the brigde he made
Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by NoContract(m): 1:51pm On Nov 17, 2014
This is beyond amazing!

The human mind is filled with a plethora of untapped potentials.

Oh, if na Nigeria now, dem go sey na Witchcraft and the guy go don open one Church sharperlly.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery people.
Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by Godmother(f): 6:17am On Nov 18, 2014
Onegai:
Heavenly Father, in my next life, you HAVE to make me a white person. My brain must be this evolved. grin grin

Thank you! I support
Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by Tymax(m): 9:41pm On Nov 18, 2014
shocked shocked shocked
Balancing against their various CG's is not beans o.

Amazing skill and patience.

Seun, front page please o!!!
Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by xothermik(m): 4:43pm On Nov 19, 2014
sorceror!!!!!!! grin
Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by Surplus90(m): 4:38pm On Dec 09, 2014
Godmother:

Thank you! I support
seriously?
Re: Gravity Glue – Michael Grab’s Gravity Defying Rock Balancing Art by NaLaugh: 12:48am On Dec 11, 2014
Onegai:

This is perhaps the most ignorant thing i've ever heard.

(1) (Reply)

Free Tutorial On Video Editing / Check These Mind Blowing Paintings! / Blackberry Animated Avatars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.