Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,627 members, 7,816,584 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:29 PM

Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? (54178 Views)

Naira Now N225 In Paralllel Market On Friday 25th June 2015 / Devaluation: Naira Now N183 To The Dollar / Naira Now N166 To $1. Can Someone Tell Me What Is Happening? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Nov 13, 2014
mayorall:
Naira is now ₦172.4.
Naija which way?
External reserve depletion or stealing?.

http://ngn.fxexchangerate.com/

Naija which way
Dis country sef.

1 Like

Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by PapiDShipCapt(m): 5:56pm On Nov 13, 2014
I C
Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Nov 13, 2014
Built2last:
Some clueles ones with no knowledge about the present oil dive and how the money market operates will flood this thread and insult people.....

But before then, you will do the right thing and educate them grin
Oil prices will have to rise as high as $130/Barrel to get the Naira back on its feet. Else, we'd join Ghana in their quest for recovery. cry embarassed
jcflex:
still GEJ fresh air.

and smpple still wnt us to continue wit the man. I jst nid a change, either fr the same ss, north, sw, se, I dnt care.

Pikin enter house...

We're talking value here and you're talking nansense.

1 Like

Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by davide470(m): 5:57pm On Nov 13, 2014
destante:
davide470 have you seen this?
Yes. Scary. Economic Outlook at the moment is not so good.

Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by dawealthiestman(m): 5:59pm On Nov 13, 2014
can't think of anything to comment so I'm just going to post a pancake recipe.

1 1/2 cups milk
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/3 cup caster sugar
25g butter, melted
Whisk milk, egg and vanilla together in a jug. Sift flour and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Stir in sugar. Make a well in centre. Add milk mixture. Whisk until just combined.

Step 2

Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Brush pan with butter. Using 1/4 cup mixture per pancake, cook 2 pancakes for 3 to 4 minutes or until bubbles appear on surface. Turn and cook for 3 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Cover loosely with foil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining mixture, brushing pan with butter between batches. Serve.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by duni04(m): 5:59pm On Nov 13, 2014
UkwuNnu:
This is simple economics matrices. We are in a season when importation is at its peak and more people are going into importation business, this does not help our foreign exchange, its simple demand and supply from basic economics coupled with the oil price dive

Shouting government this and that when we react to banning of some imported products. embarassed embarassed embarassed

Consume made in NIGERIA Products!!! angry angry angry
REAL demand is not that high, even though we're approaching christmas. Its speculators that are forcing the naira up. Its the people that expect the naira to still fall against the dollar that are buying dollars unnecessarily and creating this artificial demand and forcing the exchange rate up.

1 Like

Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by Thespecialone(m): 5:59pm On Nov 13, 2014
Going forward, I can't shout.

Na to dey receive payments in dollars for the time being.

Basing international transactions in Naira at this time is going to be bloody.
Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by Anthony3850(m): 5:59pm On Nov 13, 2014
Omo! Imagine if person just send 1000 dollars to u,,,, excess cash

1 Like

Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by honeric01(m): 6:00pm On Nov 13, 2014
If you have cash, start hoarding dollars, by Jan-Feb Next year, naira to a dollar should be around N190-N220.

Quote me.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by Anthony3850(m): 6:00pm On Nov 13, 2014
Omo! Imagine if person just send 1000 dollars to u,,,, excess cash... This is good news and bad news
Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by gnykelly(m): 6:00pm On Nov 13, 2014
in lay man language. our economy is going to recession. if not depression.
the effect to the common man is

prices of goods manufactured with foreign raw materials will increase.

foreign reserves will deplete( though foreign exchange has been stopped).

good news

prices of petroleum product will drop in international market.( but to import will be very expensive as we are not buoyant enough to pay for any of it derivatives even when it is cheap)

on the large scale Nigeria ability to earn will be poor since our earning is largely from crude oil which the price has drop beyond our budgeting price of $77 (in lay man language it means government might not be able to pay contractor, civil servant,etc)

let me stop here

3 Likes

Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Nov 13, 2014
honeric01:
If you have cash, start hoarding dollars, by Jan-Feb Next year, naira to a dollar should be around N190-N220.

Quote me.

It may not be that early....but it may come after the elections.

Nigeria has got to stop relying on oil.

1 Like

Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by CyracksMrBlogger(m): 6:01pm On Nov 13, 2014
eddiebruk:
I received WU Today via quickteller and got Credited @171 per dollar. cool cool cool cool It is good in a way tho, Nobody should quote me sha, More reason why you should embrace Foreign Investment, mostly in Real Estate
Guy na true talk, i must quote u for this one. Foreign investment na d profit for this era of dollars swelling up against Naira. If the CBN governor wants, he should make it reach 200 per dollar my Google Adsense money just dey swell.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by swagwu(m): 6:03pm On Nov 13, 2014
if we dey complain like dis wetin ghana go do

1 Like

Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by zubby29(m): 6:03pm On Nov 13, 2014
nothing suprises anymore in dis country
Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by duni04(m): 6:03pm On Nov 13, 2014
honeric01:

Quote me.
Na una dey cause problem.

1 Like

Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by coolvitus(m): 6:03pm On Nov 13, 2014
If u wake up just bgn to cry 4 nigeria we are born to suffer becoz there will be no naija 4 our children.
Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by Montaque(m): 6:03pm On Nov 13, 2014
mayorall:
Wow I made FP

special dedication to my lady *missmayorall*. My business partner *kennyman20* . My business friends. ymodulus, mcfynest, youngzedd, madam Tyconcepts, merit, oga steven. My pb buyers, ojestas, oga damc, octavo, juwonmannia, rasco, Beckham. And many I can't remember. Special thanks to my CSO (walker). My six months old GSD

Now feeling on top of the world, goods just hit me from Asia, my goods had arrived gringrin. Good news on nairaland. nairaland FP is intoxicating. grin. I never knew this is how it is until I heat FP the second time.

To those that are jealous of me , You will also hit FP in the nearest future, just a matter of timegringringrin

Long live seun

long live the mod and super mods

Long live nairaland

Long live Nigeria
imagine? Face the topic bro
Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by grandstar(m): 6:04pm On Nov 13, 2014
There are 2 reasons for this. One is that dollar receipts from crude oil has reduced and demand for forex has shot up as we approach winter. Double wahala for deady body and the owner of deady body.
Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by destante(f): 6:04pm On Nov 13, 2014
davide470:
Yes. Scary. Economic Outlook at the moment is not so good.
Lol see that last end. It means it even has the potential to depreciate more. Really scary.
By the way, I needed to use my glasses for that.
Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by timmyboy5050(m): 6:05pm On Nov 13, 2014
grin Thank God say I Neva withdraw d 800$ wey dey my bet365 account..abeg make d naira hit 250

2 Likes

Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by nijanigga: 6:05pm On Nov 13, 2014
End of oil is coming to an end. We've been warned longtime that oil will soon become useless. A CNBC analyst is forecasting $30/barrel soon.
CBN have been shoring up the naira for too long using reserves, but reserve itself is drying up because price of oil is plummeting and Nigeria's budget is based on $78/barrel with 70% of Nigeria's budget going towards recurrent expenditures. Less than 30% is going towards capital projects.
Nigeria has eaten deep into future generation. GEJ can hardly pay salaries to federal workers now.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by Mathematical(f): 6:05pm On Nov 13, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Consider this not a defence of PDP.

Yes, we must vote PDP out. But the APC, or indeed any of the opposition parties are just as bad ''economically speaking''. Let me explain.

APC has no plan to get Nigeria off its dependency on oil ....which is the real reason why we have troubles with our naira.If we had had an industrial economy, exporting goods to Africa and Asia and even Europe (Inida sells Tata cars worldwide)....we would have had a strong industrial economy.....and a strong currency.

(Note that I do not mention agric. That is resource dependency under another name. Many African countries that produce cotton are in serious trobule because of falling cotton prices. Ditto for metals....ask Zambia).

APC and PDP are both clueless about the economy and how it should be run. Both of them don't want to make the hard choices needed to make the economy run well. Likewise, many of you Nigerians blame the problem on ''corruption'' (true)....but the big issue is that the pot they are stealing from is not big enough.

Oil rich countries that do well have small populations and/or diversified economies. I notice a lot of you Nigerian admire Libya under Ghaddafi. Libya had/has a population under 6million....and produces far more oil than Nigeria. Libya had so much cash that the Gaddafi family and the elite could siphon off cash....and there would still be surplus for the people. But Libya fell to the West in battle because that oil they loved was used to import weapons from the same West....which proved to be their downfall.

What I want you Nigerians is to stop saying GEJ is bad, or APC are cankers. Ask both parties, at all levels....do they have an immediate plan for our industrialisation. Because what is happening now is an instant replay of 1982....and back then, we still had a somewhat diversifed economy. Now we do not. And unless you Nigerians stop thinking that we have more than enough oil money to play around with....and vote for leaders, regardless of party, with that mindset....that we are not a rich nation, and riches come with work....then we will move out of our oil dependency and into a glorious future.

Nigerians what will it be? The choice in 2015 really is not between PDP and APC....RATHER....it is a choice every Nigerian must make....will we forever pretend that we are rich....or accept that we are poor and start using what we have to make ourselves rich?

Oil is a curse.

Nice one brah.... Buh do you realise that 87.99 % Nigerians want change.. buh slightly 30.34% Nigerians will make move to having that so called CHANGE.... Comes 2015 those poverty stricken citizen and seniors will be clamouring just to have a slice share of the national cake... Vote for transformation, transparency... They're voting... Ain't they?
Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by nijanigga: 6:07pm On Nov 13, 2014
grandstar:
There are 2 reasons for this. One is that dollar receipts from crude oil has reduced and demand for forex has shot up as we approach winter. Double wahala for deady body and the owner of deady body.
and strong $
Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by firstolalekan(m): 6:07pm On Nov 13, 2014
YES OH!
GOOD DEVELOPMENT.
THANKS TO NGOZI AND JONATHAN
GEJ TILL 3030
Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by duni04(m): 6:07pm On Nov 13, 2014
nijanigga:
End of oil is coming to an end. We've been warned longtime that oil will soon become useless. A CNBC analyst is forecasting $30/barrel soon.
CBN have been shoring up the naira for too long using reserves, but reserve itself is drying up because price of oil is plummeting and Nigeria's budget is based on $78/barrel with 70% of Nigeria's budget going towards recurrent expenditures. Less than 30% is going towards capital projects.
Nigeria has eaten deep into future generation. GEJ can hardly pay salaries to federal workers now.
scary outlook

2 Likes

Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by MKO4ever(m): 6:09pm On Nov 13, 2014
Emefiele vows to defend Naira on falling oil prices:
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor, Mr. Godwin Emefiele has said he will continue
to defend the naira after the currency plunged to a record low last week. “There’s no need for anybody to panic or worry,” Emefiele told Bloomberg.
“The central bank has always intervened. We know our reserves can support nine months of imports, which is far above the minimum expected.
We believe we’re very safe.” Source: thisdaylive.com

1 Like

Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by ichidodo: 6:10pm On Nov 13, 2014
ichidodo:
[b]....The Naira has always been buoyed up artificially by the CBN since 1900 with the use of our external reserves which is mainly funded by our crude oil sales.This CBN policy though patriotic is economically unviable imaddition to the fact that it opens doors for sharp practices,corruption and serious depletion of the reserve -something that has been going on for years- never mind it being a very short term method to building a strong Naira. So the CBN has stopped that policy thus leaving this exchange to demand and supply(hence the current dollar reflex) which in this case allows the sheer size of Africa biggest economy to 'pull its weight' allowing the dollar price to get to its natural equilibrium point at par with Nigeria's current economic growth rate instead of steady currency attrition akin to burning dollars just to fund consumerisms that is the Nigerian populace and political class.Thus our external reserves becomes very buoyant leaving a golden nest egg for generations unborn and the strenght of the Naira ,naturally (without help from the cbn but from the power of the Nigerian people and their economic activites) matches the sheer might of Africa biggest economy.This is going to be an interesting scenario to observe from an economic perspective..****grabs seat and popcorn***[/b]

1 Like

Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by davide470(m): 6:11pm On Nov 13, 2014
destante:
Lol see that last end. It means it even has the potential to depreciate more. Really scary.
By the way, I needed to use my glasses for that.
Yeah, Oil prices below or at par with our benchmark, depleting of Excess Crude Account has started. Won't b surprised if it gets to 190 (-10.23% Ytd) before next year.

You look cute with your glasses on.

1 Like

Re: Naira Now 172 Naira To A Dollar. Why? by JideTheBlogger(m): 6:11pm On Nov 13, 2014
More money from adsense grin and other payments from foreign clients. Internet biz rocks wink but bad in another way sha angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Items You Feel Embarrassed About When Buying. Share / How To Buy From Alibaba And Ship To Nigeria. / My Experience With UBA Bank. (must Read!!!!!!!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.