Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,409 members, 7,846,734 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 09:58 PM

The Sorry State Of Nigerian Education - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Sorry State Of Nigerian Education (1013 Views)

Sorry State Of A Secondary School In Surulere (Photos) / Nigerian Education Sector Needs Attention (fynestboi) / Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Sorry State Of Nigerian Education by romme2u: 4:56am On Nov 14, 2014
I came to notice that some fellas on Nairaland in a get rich quick schemes started suggesting which disciplines in tertiary institutions are marketable in Nigeria. All tom dick and harry proffered their solutions in a million and one ways.

Let me start by saying, there is no shortcut to success (Recognition). Smart and hard work with perseverance would take you to any position in life.

It seems that the fate of Nigerian Youths are left hanging in the balance. This mentality exhibited by youngsters is a result of lack of direction and goals in life which should have been hammered home during their days in secondary schools. But what did our teachers do? They glorify one discipline more than the other that children became stereotyped to some courses. Those days when we were younger, if a student is ask what discipline do you want to study when you get to the university, if u don't mention Engineering, Law and Medicine, then you are considered a candidate for failure. This mentality rock bottom the self esteem of children who didn't have a direction early in life like me or those who wanted to study other courses that were considered less lucrative. Like when i was growing up, businessmen were look upon with disdain and considered dishonest in their dealings. Instead a professional job with a steady paycheck was preferred in our locality plus the fact that you were considered a saint. When i was in my early twenties, i discovered that businessmen rock n rule the town, so i decided to join the party and discard all other opinions including that of my immediate family.

The problem with education in Nigeria is that our Lecturers/Teachers don't encourage creative thinking and problem-solving among students. the prefer to spoon-feed students thereby stifling creative thinking. if you don't give back exactly what was given to u in class, your chance of failure is above 70%.

See what lack of good counseling and career guidance in our secondary schools have caused. these teenagers now equate success with money. OH what a bastardize minds. it would not be better for our teachers/leaders who refused to lay a solid foundation for their wards whom they were supposed to groom. having access to internet has become a cursed than blessing because youngsters are not taught how to think for themselves and to separate opinions from facts. it is a pity that people who are supposed to be leaders of tomorrow don't have guidance of what to make of their life. NIGERIA is greatly doomed, for our founding fathers (past government administrations starting from 1960 till now) did not lay a foundation for this country leading to what i term SUCCESSIVE GENERATIONAL FAILURES (I need to write a book on this).

With the annoyance in me, if i want to finish this piece, it may take a day for nlders to go through this. So for the sake of brevity and the fact that i would love contribution from matured minds, lets keep this rolling. Do you really need to read a lucrative course in tertiary institution to be successful (or make money as some youngsters here associate success with plenty money)?

Let me end with this advice (or should i say a little secret). When you have a quality product (which is yourself, skills and services) and know how to market it (not with bragging), the sky is your beginning. BE THE BEST YOU CAN IN YOUR CHOSEN FIELD OF ENDEAVOURS wink

Contributions are welcomed. ##team summarise - don't look for summary because this is how i can summarise it. maybe i wasn't good at summary during my secondary school days##

***To moderators, if this post is not the right section pls move it there for me wink***

2 Likes

Re: The Sorry State Of Nigerian Education by PROCTOR: 5:43am On Nov 14, 2014
What else should they equate success to if not money
Re: The Sorry State Of Nigerian Education by Thewhizzkid1(m): 5:55am On Nov 14, 2014
Those nairalanders who gave d marketable courses suggestion are right. An average doctor will graduate and get a job faster than an average engineer. So will an average dentist graduate and get a job faster than an average biochemist. So d fact that someone gave dat suggestion does not mean he is a scheme to get rich quick. In fact, anyone who wants to get rich place little or no value in education. How can someone who wants to get rich quick study medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, law, etc? The truth of d matter is dat there are indeed marketable courses but our aim of studying a given course in school should not b mainly based on d marketability.
Jux study what u like and what u want and keep praying and studying hard so that u find a gud job afterwards. Peradventure u don't get ur desired course, still study hard and pray in wherever u find urself.
Re: The Sorry State Of Nigerian Education by romme2u: 6:54am On Nov 14, 2014
PROCTOR:
What else should they equate success to if not money

Being recognised in your chosen field of endeavour as an authority is success. the likes of dangote, wole soyinka, femi falana and many others can be considered success in their fields because they excel at what they do.

Making money is a skill that if you don't know, no matter the course you study, you will remain a pauper. No one course guarantees you the kind of money you may need OR haven't you seen people in so called lucrative profession live a wretched life.

if u want money, then learn how to make a living from your discipline afterall you have people in every profession that are making money most atimes without being recognised.
Re: The Sorry State Of Nigerian Education by romme2u: 7:59am On Nov 14, 2014
Thewhizzkid1:
Those nairalanders who gave d marketable courses suggestion are right. An average doctor will graduate and get a job faster than an average engineer. So will an average dentist graduate and get a job faster than an average biochemist. So d fact that someone gave dat suggestion does not mean he is a scheme to get rich quick. In fact, anyone who wants to get rich place little or no value in education. How can someone who wants to get rich quick study medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, law, etc? The truth of d matter is dat there are indeed marketable courses but our aim of studying a given course in school should not b mainly based on d marketability.
Jux study what u like and what u want and keep praying and studying hard so that u find a gud job afterwards. Peradventure u don't get ur desired course, still study hard and pray in wherever u find urself.

is this a consolation to console yourself or others? i repeat when you are good with what you are doing, you won't be looking for a job.

Most times you guys fail to realise that you are competing with somebody else including your classmate n that bosom friend of yours for a limited space. there is no where in the world that job space are reserved so that when you graduate, you immediately fill in (except for your papa company). the process of employment is always open so that the employer can get the person they think is perfectly fit for the job. that is why it is called labour market. Every graduate whether studying medicine, nursing, dentistry or any other course you think is lucrative automatically enters the job market except the person does not want to work
##just think about what happens in the market btw sellers n buyers==* clue the best (a good) service gets a higher pay*==##

Even the bible says "seest thou a man diligent in his business, he will stand before kings and not mean men"
Re: The Sorry State Of Nigerian Education by Thewhizzkid1(m): 8:33am On Nov 14, 2014
romme2u:

is this a consolation to console yourself or others? i repeat when you are good with what you are doing, you won't be looking for a job.

Most times you guys fail to realise that you are competing with somebody else including your classmate n that bosom friend of yours for a limited space. there is no where in the world that job space are reserved so that when you graduate, you immediately fill in (except for your papa company). the process of employment is always open so that the employer can get the person they think is perfectly fit for the job. that is why it is called labour market. Every graduate whether studying medicine, nursing, dentistry or any other course you think is lucrative automatically enters the job market except the person does not want to work
##just think about what happens in the market btw sellers n buyers==* clue the best (a good) service gets a higher pay*==##

Even the bible says "seest thou a man diligent in his business, he will stand before kings and not mean men"
Ok sir
Re: The Sorry State Of Nigerian Education by Godfullsam(m): 8:36am On Nov 14, 2014
True talk
Re: The Sorry State Of Nigerian Education by Boyooosa(m): 5:09pm On Nov 15, 2014
Story for the gods ... singing in a playful manner!

(1) (Reply)

Uk Masters Degree (mba), (pgd) And Advanced Diploma Holder - Nysc? / University Of Nigeria Nsukka 2015/2016 Thread For Admission/pume Updates / Complete Project Topics And Materials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.