Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,903 members, 7,828,184 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

Nigeria's worst President??? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's worst President??? (2421 Views)

Buhari Is A Useless Nonentity Kunu Drinker And The Worst President In The World / Buhari Will Be Nigeria Worst President / Seun Kuti Blasts IBB ,mark, Says Jonathan Is The Worst President Ever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's worst President??? by ugborikoko(m): 2:18pm On Nov 25, 2008
Obasanjo brought mobile phones to the common man by providing telecom licenses. He initiated moves to clear the IMF debt of over $35billion. He commited his share of attrocities too, but doing nothing would have been a disaster.

After over a year in Office, Mr Umaru has done very little looking foward. He has beat up news agents, and generally done nothing else, other than look backwards.

Its a weird thing to say, but i think an Obasanjo third term would have been better than, "Mr do nothing", "Mr rule of law".

How many votes for Uncle Shegge
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by DRANOEL(m): 2:46pm On Nov 25, 2008
try using 50bn for a satelite (which is now lost) as a priority project for nigeria

try 37bn for abuja stadium and games village also as a priority project

what about the billions on electricity?

should i remind you of the aviation billions?

dont let me go to transcorp

or the case of ribadu-puppeteer and puppet

should i remind you of the political assasinations?

and for your information gsm technology was where the world was going all you needed do was give out liscense which was all aremu did period (besides abacha actually started the gsm thing,remember the mts liscense?) and as for imf,can you tell us the first nigerian head of state to go on a borrowing spree? OBJ
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by vwvw(m): 3:02pm On Nov 25, 2008
The trendiest aftermath phrase after every failed adventure in Africa’s most populous nation is ‘getting back to the drawing board’. From Nigeria’s national soccer team- the super eagles, to the recently failed and ambitious space project- NIGCOMSAT1, everyone’s got a T-square plotting straight and crooked tangents on an already overcrowded national drawing board, perhaps the most crammed up board in existence. But who’s fooling who? The country’s national development rolling plans have been abandoned for nearly 3 decades but even then where at best subterfuges-white elephant projects moving in an unending cycle of pretentious motion. My concern today isn’t with the amorphous board of carpenters acting as ministers or hairdresser s and cosmetologists teaching us about the dynamics of the crude oil market or democratic governance. It is unfortunately about an ailing schizophrenic Nigerian leader who is lost in touch with the Nigerian reality. True he may not possess the charm, guile and evil mien of military despots like Babaginda and Abacha, but even the crudest of the ilk; Olusegun Obasanjo at his worst –like when he feigned ignorance that a bottle of cooking oil was more expensive than a litre of fuel or when he publicly whipped a security operative for assaulting an overzealous political enthusiast -would win a popularity contest by a landslide when pitched against Umaru. Nigeria’s Leader President Yar ‘Adua more than a year in office still can’t find his voice in the conscience of Nigerians. Sometimes I think he is surprised at the sound of his voice, flabbergasted at the insincerity of his dreams. His press parleys if they ever happened are best described as stifling and lack-lustre. This pervasive immobility runs thick through the President’s cabinet; twenty ministers dropped meant twenty new-fangled ministers to thinker Yar’ Adua’s vision 2020 but the list of ministerial nominees after it took more than an eternity to materialize left sawdust in the mouths of not a few political watchers. What does Rilwan Lukman for example have to offer after more than 40 years in Government?

Last weekend another nauseating event played out, I watched in stupefaction the NIPSS graduation. The story however was the missing former Anti-corruption tsar, Nuhu Ribadu from the ceremony, though he had met the requirements necessary for his graduation, the Institute preferred to play the hard ball. No certificates and no explanations; and like has become the norm, mum is the word. This stultifying aloofness is redolent of the Abacha years of ‘NO COMMENT’ –for the President has suddenly found it economical to keep silent on all issues. The truth lies in this; this president doesn’t score. His pallid look and bogus babariga wearing knights have failed to inspire confidence in a very impatient electorate. Before the bubble burst on high crude oil prices-Nigeria’s external foreign reserves is near $70 billion-there was never a trickledown effect on its impoverished populace-inadequate infrastructure and social services, unemployment are still rife. The Government isn’t talking because it is caught in a vicious cycle of inactivity; this government is slumbering and is snoring shamefully loud. Ribadu was a good man, during an interview last year he’d told me that there were bad people threatening to scupper all he’d done. Brutus considered Caesar’s goodwill ambitious and Dante remarked the road to hell is laden with good intentions consequently Ribadu was exiled to Kuru, but then this woolly Government performed a ‘Usain Bolt’ rebuttal denying any vindictiveness in Ribadu’s removal. Its silence so far is a pointer to the mendacious diabolical political system that has and continues to hoodwink this nation’s quest toward greatness, http://connectafrica./2008/11/25/an-aloof-king-and-his-misfit-knights/
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by Tonim(f): 3:08pm On Nov 25, 2008
ugborikoko:

Obasanjo brought mobile phones to the common man by providing telecom licenses. He initiated moves to clear the IMF debt of over $35billion. He commited his share of attrocities too, but doing nothing would have been a disaster.

After over a year in Office, Mr Umaru has done very little looking foward. He has beat up news agents, and generally done nothing else, other than look backwards.

Its a weird thing to say, but i think an Obasanjo third term would have been better than, "Mr do nothing", "Mr rule of law".

How many votes for Uncle Shegge

Don't forget that:

- He also introduced private universities in Nigeria
- He formed the National Pension Commission - Pecom
- He had more women in top positions than any other head of state
- He formed the Niger Delta Development Commission - NDDC
- Thirteen percent (13%) derivation for oil producing states
- He cleaned up abuja and largely restored it to its original master plan

At least OBJ did something, What has Yar'adua done with $60 billion dollars in reserves ?
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by DRANOEL(m): 3:18pm On Nov 25, 2008
Tonim:

Don't forget that:

- He also introduced private universities in Nigeria
- He formed the National Pension Commission - Pecom
- He had more women in top positions than any other head of state
- He formed the Niger Delta Development Commission - NDDC
- Thirteen percent (13%) derivation for oil producing states
- He cleaned up abuja and largely restored it to its original master plan

At least OBJ did something, What has Yar'adua done with $60 billion dollars in reserves ?

obj introduced private universities? ibb will cry for this! igbinedion university

obj formed nddc? actually it was ibb (ompadec) and  13% derivation was started by abacha, abdulsalam made13% the minimum constitutionally requirement

credit for abuja should always be given to ibb

yar adua actually has more women in govt

you see girl your obj did nada!
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by ugborikoko(m): 4:59pm On Nov 25, 2008
Call Uncle Shegge any name, but it is on record that the guy touched the lives of many nigerians. He oppressed some, but he tried, for an ex-military guy.

I challenge nairaland to list 5 things Umaru has done in the last over 600days

Any opponent?
shocked
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by kokorunna(m): 6:09pm On Nov 25, 2008
OBJ without no doubt grin
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by emeystan(m): 8:58pm On Nov 25, 2008
I do constructive criticism. Obj tried but he still had so many lapses. I believe if a person have more failures than passes dat person is a failure. I dont know where u wil classify obj. As 4me he had a pass mark of 40%. He tried a lot but he failed 60%. As 4 yar' adua, scoring him 4his 1yr tenure would be very difficult cos he wil owing us about minus10%. He lacks d speed,focus,ideas & creativity 2stir d nation niaja. Obj used professionals such as d cbn governor & d finance minister to stir his boat by givin them free will to achieve d nation's goals. But yar adua decleared a power emergency by forming a committee where there is no presence of technocrats instead its made up of politicians. He form a new ministerial team where politicians are filling up d positions instead of professionals. Wat is d person achike udenwa doing in d list? After he has no score card as d governor of imo state for 8yrs. Our president is a slow worker & needs to be given drugs such as herione so dat he can think & act fast.
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by ikeyman00(m): 11:19pm On Nov 25, 2008
for where!

slowpoke like obj, had his chance to turn around nigeria he blew it. he was thinkin by providin mobile phones and cancelin the debt that heaven shall move but i think he got it wrong as always. He just wasnt clever enough.

'How Obasanjo wasted billions in agric sector' punch mon nov28 2008

By Sunday Aborisade

Chief Olusegun Obasanjo

The Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Agriculture, Mr. Gbenga Makanjuola, has said that former President Olusegun Obasanjo was inconsistent in the implementation of agricultural policies throughout his eight year-tenure.

He said the development made the nation to waste billions of naira as the relevant agencies that could implement strategies for policy formulation were neglected.

He added that the situation resulted in making a few individuals the beneficiaries of the huge government investment in the sector.

His declaration came barely 72 hours after the National Secretary of Association for Fish Farmers and Aquaculturists of Nigeria, Mr. Ayodele Okeleji, also blamed the former president for aggravating the current food crisis facing the country as a result of poor implementation of agricultural policies during his administration.

Makanjuola, spoke on Friday when he led other members of his committee to the National Institute of Horticultural Training in Ibadan for an oversight interactive session with authorities of the agric-based institutes and colleges in the city.

He said it was the House that mandated the Federal Government, through the Minister of Agriculture, to submit short and
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by ikeyman00(m): 12:27am On Nov 26, 2008
this one mistaken nigeria for kastina state! hmmm slowpoke eveywhere lipsrsealed

President Yar'Adua is dragging Nigeria backwards — Rev. Okotie
Written by Sam Eyoboka
Monday, November 24, 2008 financial vangurad

Pastor Chris Okotie

* Obama: There are lessons Nigeria should learn

* Explains: “Why I respect Obasanjo”

* Insists PDP should learn from Abacha's boastfulness

THIS interview with two-time presidential candidate, Reverend Chris Okotie, was first scheduled for a week earlier but he had to travel to the UK for some urgent assignment. He called from there to apologize for the failure. When we cornered him last Tuesday at his church office after his honeymoon, he was looking every inch a happy man and he actually confessed that his recent marriage to dashing beauty, Stephanie, is the secret. He agreed to speak on the state of the nation and his future ambition for the country.

You may not like the fearless preacher because of his dreams, but you cannot help but like him for his intelligence and vast knowledge of happenings around him. What was his reaction to the Appeal Court on Adams Oshiomhole? His reply: "We are exhilarated by that judgment because it goes to establish that there’s still law and order in our country and foretells good things to come.”

On President Umar Musa Yar’Adua, Rev. Okotie has harsh words: “Treachery. The PDP duplicity has made it impossible for Yar’Adua to trust anyone. Friends today, enemies tomorrow. It’s been very difficult for him, from my view point, to establish a network of loyalists that will enable him carry his programmes forward.

The 7-point agenda is so amorphous because he doesn’t have definition; no direction and, therefore, he’s still in his initial stage and I do not think he can ever go beyond that - mere academic that have no practical reality to them. Excerpts: Who will you hold responsible for the woes of this nation? Is it President Yar’Adua or the PDP?

It is the PDP definitely. That’s why I respect Obasanjo, because I know how hard he fought his political party. I know the enemies that he made within his own party, just because he wanted to establish a direction for this country. And for people who are in leadership, you’ll admire that kind of bravado and strength. That is what I respect most about him.

President Yar’Adua has found himself in this balloon that could so easily burst. And because he has not worked hand in hand with his predecessors, he has difficulties. But the main problem of the country is the PDP. It’s that dragon that is seeking to devour this nation that definitely will not be able to do so.

What lessons can we learn from the judgment?

To understand that power is transient and that you may be at the corridors of power at a moment and, the next moment, you’re out of it. And if you do not have a sense of responsibility to the people, then, popularity becomes notoriety and, at the end of the day, it backfires. I think that Nigerians need to understand that there’s still someone above who governors the affairs of men.

Will you say that we have arrived democra-tically?

Not at all! In the kind of society which we live, news is ugly when it passes the poll. We are hearing, true or false, that this is the robust tactical negotiation between the AC and the PDP. We can't authenticate it, but time will tell.

We are hearing from the grapevine that it has something to do with the Presidency and that the adjournments and postponements of the verdict at the centre was to create room for this, so as to placate Nigerians, no matter which way the verdict eventually turns at the centre. Like I said, its still rumour, but time will tell.

Are you saying that the PDP is trading some of its offices to cling on to the Presidency?

That is what we are hearing and, like I said, I don’t want to take responsibility for that, it’s just birds flying in the air. But, that’s what we are hearing that it's some kind of trade. But time will tell because, given the situation at hand, what the Supreme Court does will be able to either authenticate the rumours or completely desmiss them.

If your fears come to pass, what does that portend for this country?

It just shows that we are still experiencing what I call birth pangs. There’s going to come a time when it will be impossible to manipulate the apparatus of government and that time is already here. What happened in America is a sign to the entire world that these are the days of a new order. We are just seeing the last vestiges of our past, of our anachronism.

Will you say the Appeal Court's ruling was a reflection of the will of the people of Edo State or a mere manipulative measure?

We believe that Comrade Adams Oshiomhole won the election in the first place. That is my position and I have my reasons. And he did the right thing by going to court and I think there was sufficient evidence to establish that he won. And there would have been no other way to go. So the will of the people has been established. Oshiomhole has been vindicated and democracy has carried the day.

So you also believe that it’s victory for democracy?

Absolutely!

Let's juxtapose what happened in Benin with what happened in the US a few days ago, what lessons do we have to learn?

I think it's very obvious to all who are observers of the political phenomena that is transpiring all over the world. These are the days of a new order, and those who do not appreciate that and cannot apprehend that concept will be left behind.

I said before that change derives from a vertical impetus that translates into a horizontal movement or exodus. It always comes from above, and that is what God has been doing in Nigeria. Ours, as far as I’m concerned, is already done, it’s just a matter of time.

I heard you analyse in church what happened in the US in light of the word of God, saying that God actually dismantled all natural obstacles and created the pathway for Obama to become president,

(cuts in) In eschatology, we find that, at this time, it is the Black race that has the mandate from Almighty God to establish power and authority before the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. And what we have seen in America is an eloquent testimony of this concept.

All over the world, a new order is being established; America being the super power today becomes the salutory pointer. Russia has entered into a new order, France has entered into a new order. Even Iran has entered into a new order, and so Nigeria must, of necessity, enter into a new order. And that’s where Rev. Chris Okotie comes.

In as much as we appreciate President Yar’Adua and all of the strivings he’s going through to try and establish something meaningful, it’s beyond him. And it’s not because he doesn’t love this country or doesn’t have the understanding of governance, it’s just that it’s not within his genetical capability. His political genetics do not possess the apparatus or the ingredients that will bring Nigeria to that place.

Everything from his nomination, to the economy, to the civil hatred for George Bush’s administration, the international reputation of America and the expectations of the international community. All of these things worked together to establish Obama. The real thing why he ultimately succeeded was because there was an agreement within the Democratic Party. So there was no sabotage within the party.

Many times, God has arranged things like that for us in Nigeria, and then our people sabotaged us. And that’s what has been going on, because it’s obvious that people want change, and they know where that change ought to come from, but we still have a mechanism of sabotage within the political parties, particularly the PDP, seeking to frustrate the will of the Almighty God.

And that’s why we are going round and round in circles, and we are nowhere. That’s why the situation in Niger Delta continues to escalate. Until you introduce a new order, we are going to keep wondering aimlessly in the wilderness of retrogression.

The PDP leadership is boasting of ruling this country for 60 more years. What’s your reaction to that boast?

They are mortals, and mortals do not have the powers to engage in such prognosis. Abacha said the same thing and he’s not here today. They are mere men, and with all due respect, but they do not have the power to control tomorrow.

One thing is very certain, when a nation has been a recipient of divine benevolence for as long as Nigeria is, what happens is that God moves in through another mode we call the circle of discipline. That’s where you have wars, rumours of wars and pestilence and destructions.

We believe it will not come to that, because that’s the final stage in the divine orchestration of things. That’s why you find that, in most nations, they will go through processes of dialogue and then there’s an impact, and, eventually, it escalates to hostility.

We believe God that these men who are in the corridors of power will come to a recognition that they cannot help this country, and they will exit in peace, if not, we will enter into the final circle of discipline which will lead to catastrophe, and nobody wishes that.

The Nigerian is generally regarded as docile or nonchalant. Do you see any dramatic change in the attitude of the Nigerian?

The people are not that way. Is it not the same people who went to war when we had the civil war? So, what has happened is that the grace of God has sustained and kept us from the path of war. That’s what He has done.

It’s not because the government has had a pacifying effect or has been able to chant nationalistic slogans to keep us together, or maybe, some of them are involved in the occult. It’s not that.

Our people have been restrained by the hand of Almighty God, and that’s why I said to you that when He gives us that time and we do not take the opportunity to repent of our evil, then He will enter into what is called the circle of discipline, and that’s where you have war.

We are already at war because, when you see what is going on in the Niger Delta region, what else do you expect? As far as I’m concerned, that’s a microcosm of what’s going on in the country now. It’s just going to escalate if something is not done.

And these men who are there right now do not understand what nationalism is and don’t really care about the nation. And the Lord cares about people, and it’s because of the people that He has restrained His discipline. But it might come to that.

Do you envisage a civil revolution?

I believe that it has already begun; that the average Nigerian has already confronted the concept, the possibility of war, the possibility of a struggle that could endanger and jeopardise his very existence because you get to a level of suffering at a certain point that you prefer death.

So, I think that, psychologically, Nigerians - the masses - are already prepared for any eventuality. It is just a matter of the grace of God restraining us from entering into universal hostility, and that’s also because the Church is praying.

I believe that just like He did in the days of Abacha that we didn’t go to war and in the days of Babangida, He will work out a mechanism of mercy that will usher in this new order peaceably without bloodshed and the usual violence that is attendant in such transition.

How will you describe that new order?

I said it in 2003 that when God wants to do something, He creates the information even in the heavens to all entities who can read signs, whether they be religious bodies or scientists, as long as they are able to determine the handwriting of Almighty God.

That is what happened when Jesus was born. Astrologers - the Magi, what we call the Wisemen were observing the heavens - noticed that someone has been born because of the sign that they saw. And they came by to worship Him.

In the realm of the Astrial, the super empirical realm, that information is already there that Nigeria has been earmarked by God for great things and that the time has come. That concept of the revelation of the will of God to all of mankind, no matter the discipline they’re involved in.

It’s what we call the Sovereign Proclamation of the Divine Enterprise, SPDE. And He has already done that. And a lot of them who are in government know what I’m talking about; because they know that they are holding unto something that they cannot hold on to for a long time. They are aware that power has already changed hands spiritually.

They know that because a lot of them look into crystal balls and they are involved in all kind of occultic activities.

So they know what I’m saying. And that the only remedy to our situation in Nigeria today is Rev. Chris Okotie, and that’s the only reason why I got involved in politics, because the divine mandate for this nation for a man who will restore order here, that will build the broken bridges and walls that will bring our people back to that society that we used to have and even beyond,

That will establish an understanding of governance that accommodates everybody, that can give Nigerians the best that they deserve, that is not interested in vindictive purposelessness, not trying to avenge the past or toes that were stepped upon or to make a point that is retrogressive just to establish authority. Someone that is a friend of everyone, and everyone can trust and be comfortable with.

That’s where Okotie comes in. And I believe those days are already here. So it’s just a matter of time because, as we progress, we are going to get to a place where there’ll be absolutely no movement, and the only way we are going to be able to solve that problem is to relinquish our very selfish desires of wanting to do what we cannot do and allow the ones that have been appointed to do these things to do them.

Are we already there? Because, it doesn’t look like we’re moving anywhere?

We are there in the sense that, we know, it’s like we have dawn. We have several hours of the dawn, you have the day, you have like 24 hours in one day, so the day has come.

So, we’re looking at the number of hours, the time now within that day. And that is what’s going to happen because, as far as we know, in all honesty, government is incapacitated and they know that. We will wait until they come to that recognition and they definitely will. We must come to the end of ourself, then God will come to the beginning of Himself.

The political theatrics that you’re seeing today are only calculated to effect a delay. You can delay things, you can not stop them. The reason why the delay is going on is that there are some raptors, vultures who must eat, who want to take as much as they can from the coffers of this nation and they want to empty the treasury as much as they can before they relinquish power.

That is what is going on now. The fight in government right now is not for governance, is to be positioned to able to take as much as you can from the treasury because they know that, within themselves, there’s no programme that can save this nation as it is now.

And government is not sincere enough to tell you the true position of things because it will be a vote of no confidence passed by themselves on themselves. So, they’d rather engage in secrecy. But, even in that, they will still fail because society is dynamic.

We must keep moving. As far as I’m concerned, Olusegun Obasanjo has brought us to where we are today, and I thank him because, through him, we have a leadership that exposes the weakness of government, that tells us exactly what the situation is in our nation, so that we’re not living in an illusion.

We know, for sure, that nothing is going on, these people are incapacitated, they can’t do anything. So each family tonight will sit in their homes and begin to reflect on the possibilities of the future for themselves. And, as they reflect, I just want to tell them that all hope is not lost. That as long as Rev. Okotie is in this country and is alive, Nigeria will do well.

You seem to have so much confidence on Obasanjo despite all the criticisms from Nigerians. Why?

Obasanjo can only be criticized when you juxtapose him with previous leadership because you’re not talking to him as a man or as a soldier. You’re looking at him within the context of a leader.

And when you juxtapose him with those that were before him, you’ll find that the pale uncomparable in terms of the things and the direction that he gave to this country. He didn’t take us to the logical conclusion; but he set the basis for which if Yar’Adua had built upon, then we would have been progressing.

But what President Yar’Adua has done is that he’s taking a quantum leap backwards. He’s taking us much more further than we were even before the military. It’s gone right back to them. nd like I said, it’s because he was not a party to the economic plans and governance generally at the centre during his time as a governor.

And then because of personality clashes, vendetta and social aberrations, he has not been able to break away and establish a path of governance for the nation.

Since he came in, he’s been grappling with trying to establish himself, trying to deal with treachery within his own camp and trying to survive himself in terms of his health for which one is really concerned. So he’s just not had enough.

That’s why I said government has failed from his election, because he just has no power block that you can say this is his power base. He doesn’t belong to any of them. And he has refused to build on the one that Obasanjo established. And so he is more or less on his own as it is, with a few scattered loyalists that are neither here or there. That’s the situation we find ourselves.

Why is it taking him so long to create a path for himself? What do you think is wrong?

I think, number one, psychologically, it has taken him a while to understand the purpose of his being where he is when power was thrust upon you in a very unprepared state, and, many times, it takes a while for you to get away from the euphoria and deal with reality.

Two, his inability to apprehend the concept that Obasanjo had established and his inability to fathom the intricases involved because Obasanjo was operating a very simplistic system within a very intricate system itself.

It’s like I took a system within ordinary system. You had the Obasanjo system within the PDP system and he was always struggling to prevail over his political party. So, his inability to understand that has hindered him and, so, he has not been able to be visionary enough to go to the next level.

Then, his health. When it comes to his health, one becomes very soft and tender towards him because he’s a man with a family and you have to understand that he has his own personal problems and health is so important. And I empathize with him on that level.

But I will imagine that the demand for patriotism would overwhelm his desire to stay in government for which he should have relinquished that position to tell Nigerians about the condition of his health and his responsibility to his family, so that he will allow somebody else, even if it is within his own political party, to run things.

The fourth is treachery. The PDP duplicity has made it impossible for him to trust anyone. Friends today, enemies tomorrow. It’s been very difficult for him, from my view point, to establish a network of loyalists that will enable him carry his programmes forward.

The 7-point agenda is so amorphous because he doesn’t have definition; no direction and, therefore, he’s still in his initial stage and I do not think he can ever go beyond that - mere academic that have no practical reality to them.

What is your assessment of the nation’s economy? Is it a healthy situation we have here?

The governor of Central Bank says we’re not entering into recession. Before I left the country, that was the argument between him and the Finance minister who was of a contrary view that we were entering into recession and that the indices do not indicate that Nigeria is safe. I will imagine that in a government, two principal actors who are overseers of our economy do not even understand what is at play.

It shows you the level of confusion. Where there’s confusion, there’s strife, there’s every evil work. And this is because there's no connectivity between the major players within the economy. I’m talking about the Central Bank and then the ministry, itself.

We’re not likely to know exactly what the problem is. And an economy that operates in secrecy is short-circuiting itself. I believe that the CBN governor can make a statement that is more authoritative because he’s been in the system longer.

He knows the direction. He knows where we’re going and he’s in a better position to tell you that. He’s not a politician, ought not to be. The minister is a politician. And many time he will speak with a political bias, partisan political bias.

I do not think that Nigeria is experiencing the level of difficulty that the rest of the world is experiencing right now, because those who formulated the economic programme for our country during Obasanjo’s time envisaged the possibilities that we are seeing today and they put the mechanism to checkmate that kind of situation.

For instance, when the CBN governor said it was time to strengthen the naira and follow the plans they have laid down, this government said no.

They had a projection that they were following and they know where they would have been at this point in time. So I think that the PDP, as a political party, has no ideological connectivity in itself. And because you have all these people that have just ganged up with a view to acquiring power and possession, they have antithetical political philosophies and they can’t work together.

The next big item on the agenda is the appointment of ministers. It’s just like you’ll now want to appoint the next dramatis personae for the next half of your drama. And it’s not going to work. Changing ministers is not the problem of this country.

When they have nothing to offer, they create a state of artificial emergence to distract the public while they buy time for themselves. But all that is not working. I will advise them, quite frankly, that it’s not possible for them to take Nigeria forward.

They do not possess what it takes. The entire political atmosphere is hostile to development and progress, and until we change the atmosphere, that dawn that we’re talking about is not going to happen for us.

There are some of us who are waiting eagerly to enter into a place where we can execute a rescue plan for our nation. And we wait for Almighty God to set the stage for us just like He did for Obama.

He will do it here, He’s already doing it. And when that day comes, the overwhelming rejoicing you saw across the world, Nigerians will rejoice from Port Harcourt to Maiduguri. So shall it be, because the day they say Rev. Okotie is at the helm of affairs, you will hear tantanbulation of jubilations, dancing and rejoicing on our streets, freedom at last.

Ex-President Obasanjo and Nuhu Ribadu made efforts to fight corruption in the country. Mrs. Farida Waziri came and made all the noise, but, today, all the pubic officials that were supposed to be behind bars are walking in the streets free. What’s going on?

I think that what has happened is really sad, that President Yar’Adua, in his desire to destroy the foundation laid by Obasanjo, has destroyed one of the most important institutions in our nation, which is that EFCC.

There’s nothing that Nuhu Ribadu has done that warrants the embarrassment that he has received. Because what you’re doing to him, you’re not doing to him as a person. You’re destroying the institution that he represented.

And in any setting where people are genuine and sincere, there would have been a mechanism put in place to deal with whatever you need to deal with without bastardising the institution that has come to represent some kind of accountability in this nation.

It is one of the saddest events in our political evolution because, for the first time in this nation, politicians were beginning to have a sense of responsibility.

For you to do what you have done, you have destroyed the entire fabric of our politics with regards to a state of accountability of public servants. The reason why that is because I believe that present day politicians that are in government have too many skeletons in their closets.

But let me make it abundantly clear that evil can only be sustained for a short while, because where you have already lit the torch of righteousness, it has the power of resurrection within itself.

So, you may have destroyed the institution of EFCC and brought somebody there, creating the impression that the predecessors did not know what they were doing. But there’s a spirit that has already been engendered in the hearts of the Nigerian people, which has the power of resurrection.

And these governors or whoever they are that are guilty and walking free today, let them know that the day of reckoning is at hand. Because if you bury righteousness, it will resurrect.

Obasanjo came and established some level of righteousness which is the accountability that EFCC was commanded to enforce, or was established to enforce, and it cannot be wished away, neither are you going to destroy that by embarrassing Nuhu Ribadu or the officers of that organisation. Or by establishing somebody else who has a different approach.

The point is Nigerians have seen that when you hold people responsible, they react to it. I am absolutely sure that it’s just a matter of time. All of these issues will be resolved and Nigeria will be on its path to greatness. I am very confident that it’s just a matter of time.

The Niger Delta. How do react to the establishment of a ministry for the region?

I said that that is not the issue. You had all kinds of contraptions - from OMPADEC to NDDC and all of that mechanism set by government to oversee development. Go to those areas, there’s nothing. Setting up a ministry in Abuja is not going to make any difference.

Is the minister going to be in Abuja or in Niger Delta? How are you going to do it? NDDC is now a parastatal in that ministry. What difference does it make? It’s just delay tactics. They have not addressed the issue.

The people in that area are clamouring for a certain self determination when it comes to resources. And if you have done anything to even give a glimmer of hope that it can be done, I do not think that the agitation should have escalated to this point.

Now we are going to go through another process of giving more people more opportunities to embezzle more money and misappropriate finances. You have now widened the net, and nothing is going to happen. The Niger Delta people were saying they wanted to have governance. The vice president is one of their own, yet, it hasn’t brought anything for them.

I still believe, and I say this with all sense responsibility, that until you have a man from that area who understands the plight of the people, who understands historically what has been going on, you’ll never solve that problem. Because there has to be what I call connectivity of empathy.

Why are the blacks happy over Obama? Because he has a historical connection with them and he knows exactly what’s going on with those people. When you have a president from that area that is touched by the sufferings of the people, then he will be more realistic in his approach in dealing with the things there.

When they talk about Deltans, many times they are talking about militants. There are millions of people who live in that place, you know nothing about, so they’ve reduced Niger Delta to the operation of militants and they think that once you pacify the militants, you’ll solve the problem of the Niger Delta. That’s a fallacy. I still believe that all of these things will be resolved with responsible leadership.

And the day Rev. Okotie becomes the president, the solution will take place. It will crystallize here before all Nigerians, because I have no interest other than the Nigerian. That is why I have risked my life, spent my own money, my time. So when people ask me why are you doing this, you are comfortable, popular and rich, I say you don’t understanding.

It’s a thing of the heart! It’s what you feel about the people. And until you feel it, you can’t understand it. I went as far as to Bauchi, and I went into some of the villages to see one of the emirs. And they were like; what are you doing here? It’s very risky.

I said I came here to see you, to tell you that we believe in the unity of our nation and that it is possible to foster that unity and establish it for the good of all Nigerians. And we need people like you to begin to think that way because when the time comes, it cannot be stopped. But you will remember that I came to tell you that we must be prepared for Nigeria to become great. The time is already here.

Obama’s election is the greatest sign to all nations of the world that the new order has come and that the forces of nature have all been informed that a new order must be established across the world. And Nigeria is no exception.

And I believe that it’s just a matter of time for our people to recognise that this concept of governance that we have now will only make us look ridiculous before the international community. But I do know that the God who has shown Himself to be strong on our behalf has already come down here to establish that new order and let it be made known again that Rev Okotie is at the head of that order.

What is the dream of Rev Okotie for the Niger Delta?

It is a change of atmosphere. People ask me what’s the concept of your governance, I call it Messiahnicism, which is just another word for sacrifice.You have to show sacrifice to those people, and tell them don’t sacrifice anymore, we will sacrifice for you.

When I become the president, we will begin to sacrifice for the people. And when a man sees you sacrifice for him, you need to speak no words, because your sacrifice is eloquent testimony of what is within you. We need to go to that place and be willing to pay the sacrifice for the development of that place. And it is the sacrifice that must begin in Aso Rock.

And until we have that understanding, they’ll keep fighting. But the day Okotie becomes president, number one, they trust me, that if I say something, I will do it, and they see from action that you mean what you say and say what you mean, they will put down their weapons. That’s just the simple philosophy. And we will change the Niger Delta region into what it was meant to be with the resources allocated to that area.

When you look at the natural beauty of that place, the topography, you will know that there was a national plan to fit the geography of that place. It is not too late to reverse the destruction that is going on and change it into a society where there’s love, peace and there’s community.

And only a man who understands sacrifice can do that. That’s why God has raised me because He knows I am willing to make that sacrifice to those people and for all other Nigerians, so that we can make Nigeria great.

I went to Dubai and came back, I was in shock for a few weeks, thinking of what that place has become. And I compared it to Abuja with all the money that we have spent in that place. I felt national embarrassment and that’s because those people cared about what their society looks like. And that’s what we are going to do.

What will be your message to Nigerians, particularly now that we are approaching the end of another year?

Our nation has been a very religious one. We understand that there’s a supreme being that controls the affairs of nations, particularly our nation. We have hope. And it’s because of love that He appointed me to this responsibility.

Ordinarily, I wouldn’t be doing it, there are a thousand and one things I am able to do because God has lifted me in so many areas of my life. I could do so many other things, but this is the responsibility, the burden He has placed upon me which I received gladly.

I want to assure them that the God who helped us on six occasions will not abandon us on the seventh, and I will say that the manna will continue to fall until we cross the Jordan, and the Jordan we will cross.

Let them be hopeful and understand that Rev Okotie is a beckon of hope and that the days are drawing close when that message will become so obvious and it will be the beginning of a new Nigeria that we all desire and dreamt about.

It is true that this is a dark hour for most nations, but weeping may tarry for a night, but joy comes in the morning. There’s a new dawn that we expect, our past will be totally forgotten
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by ugborikoko(m): 11:26am On Nov 26, 2008
Uncle Shegge may have assasinated, bulied people and maybe stolen. But Nigeria experienced economic growth under his watch.

Mr "rule of law" is not upholding the law beating up journalists. The only emergency i see in the power sector is blackout. We maybe be witnessing the begining of Nigerias worst years.

cry undecided
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by MrCrackles(m): 11:30am On Nov 26, 2008
Nigeria's worst president has to be IBB

I think he made a wrong decision during his time that gave rise to the leadership quagmire Nigeria is enmeshed in now

If he made the right decision at that time, we probably wont have had OBJ and Yar'a'Dunce
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by ugborikoko(m): 11:36am On Nov 26, 2008
MrCrackles, lets not dwell on the past. The future is at stake here and we need more positive action from this Abuja,
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by faoni572(m): 2:33pm On Nov 26, 2008
From my own opinion, the worst President or Head of State that Nigeria has ever had is the present 'snail' we have in Abuja. I notice obviously that in the past regimes there were always actions, but with this one we have now everything is stand still, he's only looking forward to year 2020 maybe that is when he wants to do something. I know we have never had any President that performed up to expectations but the worst of them is the present snail that occupy Aso Rock.
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by DRANOEL(m): 3:10pm On Nov 26, 2008
nigeria's worst head of state remains obj like it or not

as for yar adua whether he is slow or not they are certain things he is doing that may spark change in nigeria,for instance they are those who believe the president's lack of interest in mingling in the affairs of who gets elected might help nigeria in future elections.

besides the guy is facing the nigerdelta issue square on - ND ministry which obj would never have done
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by vwvw(m): 4:40pm On Nov 26, 2008
Our president is a slow worker & needs to be given drugs such as herione so that he can think & act fast.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by doyin13(m): 4:49pm On Nov 26, 2008
Like Obj or not. . .

Even his critics cannot deny there was a sense of a country on the move under his watch,
whether it was through media manipulation or coercion, or through substantive achievements.

Much of the health of a country is perception, and the general perception under Obj from all
I can gather was one of general optimism or guarded optimism.

Far different from the feeling of inertia under the current President
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by dayokanu(m): 7:07pm On Nov 26, 2008
Yeah OBJ we had a country on the move!!!

$16billion Power project
$40million Satellite
Massacre at ODi and Zaki Biam.
A regime that gave birth to Niger Delta militancy/kidnpping in a scale never known before
gentlemen like Asari Dokubo, Tom Ateke
Bola Ige, Dikibo, Harry Marshals, Funsho Williams to mention a few
while Andy Uba, Adedibu and co held sway.

I would rather a president not do anything than embezzle $16billion and $40million in one full swoop, Kill citizens at Odi and Zaki Biam and other atrocities
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by ikeyman00(m): 7:13pm On Nov 26, 2008
obj distroy nigeria!
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by MaiSuya(m): 8:11pm On Nov 26, 2008
doyin13:

Like Obj or not. . .

Even his critics cannot deny there was a sense of a country on the move under his watch,
whether it was through media manipulation or coercion, or through substantive achievements.

Much of the health of a country is perception, and the general perception under Obj from all
I can gather was one of general optimism or guarded optimism.

Far different from the feeling of inertia under the current President

I fully concur. Its probably a case of chooising the lesser of two evils, and in this case I would willingly throw my weight behind the impetuous

and quick acting( though not necessarily right acting ) OBJ rather than the slow, weak  YRD, where the country seems to in a virtual standstill.
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by oderemo(m): 8:59pm On Nov 26, 2008
obj the wost of them all.
i am ashamed credit like gsm is given to obj, when poor country like Haiti has, what did the guy do . noffin. electricity no dey, road no dey,uncompleted projects boku, what of the bridge btw ota and sango, what of Nigerians welfare ?. do you know how many graduates are roaming the streets in Nigeria, how many company cant survive the difficult climate. the man is ras.
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by PapaBrowne(m): 9:41pm On Nov 26, 2008
Aaaah. . . . OBJ fans. . . we plenty oh!
We've had an array of really bad Presidents in Nigeria, so the fact that OBJ is the best President Nigeria has had doesn't make him a very good president. But he is still the best we've had.

One of OBJ's achievements was creating a growing middle class. During OBJ's tenure, the Nigerian middle class grew tremendously.
Loads of new jobs were created in the Telecoms, IT, Banking and Food sectors. Countless new small businesses were opened.
Businesses were making tremendous amounts of money.

Secondly, OBJ created an outstanding environment for Telecommunications and IT to thrive. We have become the fastest growing and one of the most lucrative telecoms market. From 400,000 connected Nigerians in 1999 to 50 Million in 2007 is an outstanding achievement. Internet connectivity amongst Nigerians is so high that we account for a huge volume of internet traffic.

The banking revolution that OBJ @ SOLUDO created is undoubtedly a pacesetter and would be studied in institutions like Harvard, Wharton, etc for decades to come. Please people, we now use ATM machines! That's progress!!!

What about the fact that for the first time in my life Nigeria is not a debtor Nation. We no longer owe those billions Shagari and IBB mortaged our futures with. How about all the accolades we are getting form the likes of Merrill Lynch, Goldman Sachs, S & P's etc. How about the fact that our GDP per capita has grown from about $280 in 2000 to about $2000 in 2007. Or the fact that the Naira is now stable or even appreciating. Or the Pension funds. Or the stock market that blossomed. The list is endless and I can go on & on.

However, OBJ Messed up in core Infrastructural development. He did little or nothing on roads besides a few.
He tried in power but failed(not his fault).
He messed up really bad in security- I can't believe he did nothing about security.
Then other areas like, Rule of Law,education and other core social services. . . he did not do well.

I left Nigeria in 1999 and I know how I left the country. It was in shambles. I met a different country in 2005. Things had definitely changed for the better. So I returned alongside loads of other Nigerian graduates based overseas.

But now with Yar' Adua's snail speed and the drop in Oil price, Nigeria as a country is not looking too hopeful. I hope the new nominees would be right and maybe things would pick up again.
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by doyin13(m): 9:43pm On Nov 26, 2008
dayokanu:

I would rather a president not do anything than embezzle $16billion and $40million in one full swoop, Kill citizens at Odi and Zaki Biam and other atrocities

You seem to be pretty sure of your sums.

A lot surer than the current President, the head of the House of Reps and countless other prominent
figures who have given vastly varied figures on how much was expended, wasted or embezzled.

Don't fall prey to the rabid sensationalism of the media my friend.

I will agree that there was waste, and Obj is more than guilty of recurrent episodes of hubris, but I
am pretty sure, he did not participate in any act of naked embezzlement say of the kind performed
by Abacha and other military despots.
Re: Nigeria's worst President??? by oderemo(m): 10:08pm On Nov 26, 2008
what nonsense obj created jobs, for your info. it is not the duty of govt to create jobs. govt duty is to to provive that environ where bus , thrive. now where is that environ in Nigeria no CONSTANT SUPPLY of basic electricity. no good roads . take your telecoms for example you have graduates selling Sims pack on road side , infact allocations are SPECIALLY made for gsm operatives to fuel there various mast which are unnecessary anyway . how many of those gigantic edifice called mast do you c in advance world. none. i tell you for a fact all these allocation are used for {sua sua} . secondly accolade from goldman Sachs and others . if they are so good comp how come they are in financial trouble . if they believe in Nigeria so much let them bring there headquarters to Nigeria , then we are talking.about soludo the jury is still out on that guy.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Hurray Onyema Ugochukwu Is Abia Governor / Greatest Nigerian Cowards In Military And Politics / Nigerians In Diaspora Organization - The Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.