Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,892 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:23 PM

Prospects And Feasibility Of A Nigerian Gaining Admission Into MIT. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Prospects And Feasibility Of A Nigerian Gaining Admission Into MIT. (5250 Views)

Job Prospects And Opportunities For Political Science Graduates In Nigeria / How Many Years Did You Stay At Home Before Gaining Admission? / Three Open Secrets Of Gaining Admission Into Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prospects And Feasibility Of A Nigerian Gaining Admission Into MIT. by Chuukwudi(m): 1:58pm On Nov 16, 2014
Although I have no money, I intend to become a student of Massachusset's Institute of Technology (MIT). What are my chances?
I'm presently in 3rd year, Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Federal University of Technology Owerri. What things do I need? I need to at least, try by first of all applying. I know it's not easy, but getting some pieces of advice, information and encouragement from great intellects in Nairaland isn't a bad idea. Inasmuch as you try to feed me the truth undiluted, Please, do not try to discourage me.
Are current students of MIT not humans like me? Why can't I get there? I'm aware of the availability of financial aid for prospective students with very low income. Please, great people of Nairaland, point out the difficulties out to me, I need to weigh both the difficulties and myself.
THANK YOU.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prospects And Feasibility Of A Nigerian Gaining Admission Into MIT. by HouseOfBalloons(f): 4:10pm On Nov 16, 2014
Ridiculously high SAT score which you'll travel to the us to write. High toefl score. A-parallel waec result, enough money to pay tuition, and some other things. My advice is if you really want this, finish with a very strong first class in futo and apply for admission for masters. Its a very competitive school to get into.
Re: Prospects And Feasibility Of A Nigerian Gaining Admission Into MIT. by Chuukwudi(m): 4:59pm On Nov 16, 2014
HouseOfBalloons:
Ridiculously high SAT score which you'll travel to the us to write. High toefl score. A-parallel waec result, enough money to pay tuition, and some other things. My advice is if you really want this, finish with a very strong first class in futo and apply for admission for masters. Its a very competitive school to get into.

Thanks Houseofballoons.
My waec isn't A Parallel but I don't mind rewriting it to correct it. Don't they conduct SAT or TOEFL exams online? Talking about tuition, I'm aware that it's quite expensive and I can't afford that, (Over 7.5million naira per year). I think there is some sort of financial aid that is awarded to student's with low financial capability.

The thing is just that I feel like trying.
You said "... and some other things..." explain more elaborately please.
Re: Prospects And Feasibility Of A Nigerian Gaining Admission Into MIT. by HouseOfBalloons(f): 5:23pm On Nov 16, 2014
Chuukwudi:

Thanks Houseofballoons.
My waec isn't A Parallel but I don't mind rewriting it to correct it. Don't they conduct SAT or TOEFL exams online? Talking about tuition, I'm aware that it's quite expensive and I can't afford that, (Over 7.5million naira per year). I think there is some sort of financial aid that is awarded to student's with low financial capability.

The thing is just that I feel like trying.
You said "... and some other things..." explain more elaborately please.
This is their official admissions website. It should help guide you. Good luck www.mitadmissions.org/apply/freshman/tests
Re: Prospects And Feasibility Of A Nigerian Gaining Admission Into MIT. by bashorunbazok: 6:55pm On Nov 16, 2014
OP, its very nice that you are very ambitious. However,one has to be realistic. I have also always had big dream like you, even till today, my dream is to study at Stanford University. I graduated with a very good grade in one of Nigeria's best universities, yet I got rejected by a number of not so highly ranked school. Fortunately, I got admitted with funding into another well ranked school in North America but not as highly ranked as my dream school.
I have a friend in MIT, and I know a person in Stanford, both Nigerians. I am saying this to tell you that its not impossible. Electrical Engineering is extremely competitive to enter for in any university, not to talk of ivy league schools.

Our education system is so poor, they don't believe in our system.The curriculum is outdated in most cases. So the reputation is bad compared to bad guys coming from India, China, etc
In my own opinion, try to finish your undergraduate program with an excellent grade, with very good research experience. Then you may apply for Msc in your dream school.But usually, it is better to first attend a medium ranked school so it can be a good stepping stone for you if you can finally achieve your dream by heading for PhD in that your dream school.
Good luck

1 Like

Re: Prospects And Feasibility Of A Nigerian Gaining Admission Into MIT. by Chuukwudi(m): 10:17pm On Nov 16, 2014
HouseOfBalloons:

This is their official admissions website. It should help guide you. Good luck www.mitadmissions.org/apply/freshman/tests

Thanks Houseofballoons. I have read that previously. Judging from past questions, SATs are less difficult than JAMB, or maybe they are nearly similar except that SAT tests aptitude, reasoning and logic while our JAMB tests memory, facts, processes, method and lesser degree of the initial.
To me, scoring high in SAT isn't an impossibility.

bashorunbazok:
OP, its very nice that you are very ambitious. However,one has to be realistic. I have also always had big dream like you, even till today, my dream is to study at Stanford University. I graduated with a very good grade in one of Nigeria's best universities, yet I got rejected by a number of not so highly ranked school. Fortunately, I got admitted with funding into another well ranked school in North America but not as highly ranked as my dream school.
I have a friend in MIT, and I know a person in Stanford, both Nigerians. I am saying this to tell you that its not impossible. Electrical Engineering is extremely competitive to enter for in any university, not to talk of ivy league schools.
Our education system is so poor, they don't believe in our system.The curriculum is outdated in most cases. So the reputation is bad compared to bad guys coming from India, China, etc
In my own opinion, try to finish your undergraduate program with an excellent grade, with very good research experience. Then you may apply for Msc in your dream school.But usually, it is better to first attend a medium ranked school so it can be a good stepping stone for you if you can finally achieve your dream by heading for PhD in that your dream school.
Good luck

Thank you Bashorunbazok.
I appreciate your advice, I'm just thinking that the earlier I start applying, the better. I'm very happy to know that you know Nigerians in MIT and Stanford. That's quite encouraging. I wish I'll be privileged to hear their own opinion, preferably, directly from the horse's mouth.
Re: Prospects And Feasibility Of A Nigerian Gaining Admission Into MIT. by yinkeys(m): 9:46am On Dec 21, 2014
@chuukwudi one thing I really like about you is the fact that you're a big dreamer. There is nothing impossible on earth, after all in decades to come man will definitely get on Mars. Be optimistic & you'll get there.
Re: Prospects And Feasibility Of A Nigerian Gaining Admission Into MIT. by agentofchange1(m): 11:53am On Dec 21, 2014
similar ambition ....guys....I intend studying Mathematics. in either. Cambridge, Princeton , or MlT

hmmmm ...so help me. God .

1 Like

Re: Prospects And Feasibility Of A Nigerian Gaining Admission Into MIT. by Nobody: 3:53pm On Dec 23, 2014
agentofchange1:
similar ambition ....guys....I intend studying Mathematics. on either. Cambridge, Princeton , or MlT

hmmmm ...so help me. God .
Good!
You have what it takes to attend those top-tier schools.
Where are you doing your Undegraduate studies now?

1 Like

Re: Prospects And Feasibility Of A Nigerian Gaining Admission Into MIT. by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 23, 2014
bashorunbazok:

Good luck
lol, those China guys are Super-smart,
Those Chinese are Ubitiquous in these Ivy league schools.
However, this is not to to say Nigerians are not in these schools. Truthfully, these guys must have had stellar grades, prefect GRE scores and jaw-opening SoP.

Boss, Which program are you into?

2 Likes

Re: Prospects And Feasibility Of A Nigerian Gaining Admission Into MIT. by bashorunbazok: 4:56pm On Dec 23, 2014
Dekins88:
lol, those China guys are Super-smart,
Those Chinese are Ubitiquous in these Ivy league schools.
However, this is not to to say Nigerians are not in these schools. Truthfully, these guys must have had stellar grades, prefect GRE scores and jaw-opening SoP.

Boss, Which program are you into?
It ain't about GRE grade alone tho.They look beyond that.I know guys with scary GRE scores that were rejected even in not so well ranked school.Its more of your academic profile, extra curricular stuffs, and some other experiences u have had.And most importantly, you have to be creative. Anyway, these are just my opinions based on my experience.

I am in for an Msc in Power and Energy Systems in University of Calgary in Canada.

2 Likes

Re: Prospects And Feasibility Of A Nigerian Gaining Admission Into MIT. by agentofchange1(m): 9:45am On Jan 09, 2015
Dekins88:
Good!
You have what it takes to attend those top-tier schools.
Where are you doing your Undergraduate studies now?

here in Nigeria. fed.uni.of tech .

1 Like

Re: Prospects And Feasibility Of A Nigerian Gaining Admission Into MIT. by Xcely: 1:51pm On Jan 09, 2015
Here's my advice. 1) finish with a GPA of 4.40 and above from your undergraduate program.(average gpa of MIT intakes is 4.5, so anything close to this or above is fair) 2) Apply for Masters at MIT. To do this, you first need to blaze the GRE mercilessly. By this I mean score above 160/170 in both quantitative and verbal. Its even safer to get a 170 perfect score in quants just like most MIT intakes. Also score high on TOEFL. ( the GRE score is your strongest bargaining tool for admission because it allows adcoms[admission committees] to see how you compare to other applicants regardless of undergraduate university and country) 3) Lastly craft a good statement of purpose for your MIT application. (a very strong statement shows how you are an all-rounder, i.e not a complete nerd. You should point out extracurricular activities you engaged in while in school, relevant internships [at big firms ]you took on while in school as well as competitons you entered for. ) 4.) Pray. ( MIT is the world's best university, so even with all the stellar grades and experience, there are still better applicants in the pool. Let God's favour work for you) 5) Voila! You're in!

5 Likes

Re: Prospects And Feasibility Of A Nigerian Gaining Admission Into MIT. by Cibololo: 10:54pm On Apr 14, 2022
Chuukwudi:
Although I have no money, I intend to become a student of Massachusset's Institute of Technology (MIT). What are my chances?
I'm presently in 3rd year, Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Federal University of Technology Owerri. What things do I need? I need to at least, try by first of all applying. I know it's not easy, but getting some pieces of advice, information and encouragement from great intellects in Nairaland isn't a bad idea. Inasmuch as you try to feed me the truth undiluted, Please, do not try to discourage me.
Are current students of MIT not humans like me? Why can't I get there? I'm aware of the availability of financial aid for prospective students with very low income. Please, great people of Nairaland, point out the difficulties out to me, I need to weigh both the difficulties and myself.
THANK YOU.

Good day
Re: Prospects And Feasibility Of A Nigerian Gaining Admission Into MIT. by Cibololo: 10:55pm On Apr 14, 2022
Chuukwudi:
THANK YOU.

I also want to study in MIT pls do you have any idea on what I should do
Re: Prospects And Feasibility Of A Nigerian Gaining Admission Into MIT. by Ikennablue(m): 9:52am On Mar 23, 2023
Chuukwudi:
THANK YOU.
good morning boss
You made this post in 2014. This is 2023. Some of us have similar dreams and aspirations. So far, how has it been going for you? Thanks

(1) (Reply)

10 DEADLY WEAPONS OF THE MIDDLE AGES[PHOTOS] / Teachers Reveal The Decaying Corona Schools’ In Lagos…says Going To Rot / I Urgently Need Information On Waec May-june 2007 Timetable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.