Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,065 members, 7,818,182 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

MTN Surprise Call Rate Is A Rip Off - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN Surprise Call Rate Is A Rip Off (2003 Views)

MTN SURPRISE UPDATE: Price Drop On Data Rates officially / MTN Surprise Smartphone Plan (4.5GB For N2500) / GLO FREEDOM PACK (cheapest Call Rate To All Networks As Low As 12k Per Second) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN Surprise Call Rate Is A Rip Off by markpenk: 9:02am On Nov 19, 2014
So, I was jejely using my MTN zone yesterday when I received the dial *507# message to get 5x your recharge. Without thinking about it -I should have seeing as I know MTN is made up of corporate thieves intent on fleecing the unsuspecting public- I opted in and got the message that my limit is #300 (how much I need to spend daily to qualify).

Now, this in itself wasn't bad. I figured it was alright, MTN making sense things... who knew I was going to regret that statement very shortly. So, I made a call and barely 12 minutes later heard the "one minute remaining" warning. I was like what the hell? You can imagine my SURPRISE when I checked my balance -which was at least #500 before I started making the call- and found that I had less than #40.

I called their customer care to file a complaint and ask how to go about deactivating the surprise package, and guess what? THERE WAS/IS NO DEACTIVATION CODE AS OF THIS MOMENT. What their customer care guys do is pretend to forward your complaints to their engineers and tell you that it's done. If you call after that, you'll still be surprised grin.

Now my question is this: why the exorbitant call rates (we're talking about #40 per minute)? Why would you roll out a plan and not have a deactivation code ready? There must be some shady intention behind this -something along the lines of "pretend we're working on it while millions of people make calls and we rip them off". It goes to show that these guys are crooks in suits.

MTN's surprise is really a SURPRISE guys. If you haven't opted in, I beg you, don't! As for me, I'm dumping that line until this madness stops. I'm sure their big wigs are in their various offices with their feet up the table laughing their a-s-s-e-s off at our naivete. In their minds now, we're all mugus. Far as I'm concerned, their new tag is "MTN.... fleecing you everywhere you go".

2 Likes

Re: MTN Surprise Call Rate Is A Rip Off by henryutd(m): 9:39am On Nov 19, 2014
You fall for that? I got the message but I don't dial any code MTN gives me. The only code I dial on MTN network is *556#. Or *555* when I want to load.

Try migrating to another plan to see if that will cancel the current plan.
Re: MTN Surprise Call Rate Is A Rip Off by markpenk: 9:44am On Nov 19, 2014
Yeah... already tried that too. No luck, man.
henryutd:
You fall for that? I got the message but I don't dial any code MTN gives me. The only code I dial on MTN network is *556#. Or *555* when I want to load.

1 Like

Re: MTN Surprise Call Rate Is A Rip Off by kene05(m): 10:27am On Nov 19, 2014
MTN can't trick me again with such words, no b today me n mtn sabi, but whether *885# or*409# or Jara all are baits to make customers fall to their exorbitant rates with hidden terms n conditions u only get to know after u have opt in, Now I have come to realize that everything that has to do with their '' MTN SURPRISE ' are all dubious, I rest my case
Re: MTN Surprise Call Rate Is A Rip Off by Nobody: 10:37am On Nov 19, 2014
kene05:
MTN can't trick me again with such words, no b today me n mtn sabi, but whether *885# or*409# or Jara all are baits to make customers fall to their exorbitant rates with hidden terms n conditions u only get to know after u have opt in, Now I have come to realize that everything that has to do with their '' MTN SURPRISE ' are all dubious, I rest my case

Guy, me self don fall yakata dis time around o for there stupid surprise. The fact remains that am still on mtn zone sha, but the cal rate now na 40k per secs, me wey be say i dey enjoy 4k per secs before i received that msg yesterday evening. The good news about it al is that it ends on the 24th on November. I believe by that time, i will be on my normal rate again.

1 Like

Re: MTN Surprise Call Rate Is A Rip Off by adanduka: 12:08pm On Nov 19, 2014
YES IT'S THE MTN SURPRISE.
YOU'RE SURPRISED YOU WERE CHARGED OUTRAGEOUSLY.
AND NOW THE CUSTOMER CARE SURPRISINGLY HAS NO CODE FOR OPTING OUT.
grin
MTN, YOU HAVE SURPRISED US AND OUR EYES INDEED WIDENED WITH YOUR SURPRISES.

1 Like

Re: MTN Surprise Call Rate Is A Rip Off by kene05(m): 2:54pm On Nov 19, 2014
shegsky:

Guy, me self don fall yakata dis time around o for there stupid surprise. The fact remains that am still on mtn zone sha, but the cal rate now na 40k per secs, me wey be say i dey enjoy 4k per secs before i received that msg yesterday evening. The good news about it al is that it ends on the 24th on November. I believe by that time, i will be on my normal rate again.
Unto the 40k /s na everybody o, so far u dy zone, dats d recent development since today o.
Re: MTN Surprise Call Rate Is A Rip Off by Donemmex(m): 3:12pm On Nov 19, 2014
Cheap mtn data plan...
Re: MTN Surprise Call Rate Is A Rip Off by Nobody: 3:13pm On Nov 19, 2014
kene05:

Unto the 40k /s na everybody o, so far u dy zone, dats d recent development since today o.
MTN trying to be smart abi. Me don dey use my 2nd mtn sim wey dey TRUE TALK make calls since. When they are normal, then i can go back to the 1st sim . Na so o.
Re: MTN Surprise Call Rate Is A Rip Off by Hostermipo(m): 9:08pm On Nov 19, 2014
Na so we see am. surprise indeed. I never make
any call since morning, the first time I saw 40.00kb
I thought Na 0.4 or 4.00 but as I open my eyes
wella naso I see 40.00. I switch of my phone,on it
back, still the saw thing, Toh.......Na msg I dey send
since o

2 Likes

Re: MTN Surprise Call Rate Is A Rip Off by Spactacle(m): 10:30pm On Nov 19, 2014
Me d highest wey i don get for zones today na 12kobo..

I dey even do yanga for 8kobo self.cos d 4kobo jst dey brekete since mornin...
Re: MTN Surprise Call Rate Is A Rip Off by Etesam(m): 10:59pm On Nov 19, 2014
henryutd:

Code averse.
Re: MTN Surprise Call Rate Is A Rip Off by Etesam(m): 11:06pm On Nov 19, 2014
adanduka:
YES IT'S THE MTN SURPRISE.
YOU'RE SURPRISED YOU WERE CHARGED OUTRAGEOUSLY.
AND NOW THE CUSTOMER CARE SURPRISINGLY HAS NO CODE FOR OPTING OUT.
grin
MTN, YOU HAVE SURPRISED US AND OUR EYES INDEED WIDENED WITH YOUR SURPRISES.
Surprise, Surprise!
Re: MTN Surprise Call Rate Is A Rip Off by Mekiluv(m): 12:18am On Nov 20, 2014
Had similar issue. Called the Customer care and they said I should call back in 24hrs because they can't view my calls history or diagnosis what happened so I just decided to blank them knowing fully that MTN is scam and there is nothing we the subscribers can do about it which is the most annoying part of it.
Re: MTN Surprise Call Rate Is A Rip Off by markpenk: 12:36pm On Nov 20, 2014
End on the 24th? You sure? These guys will move the date forward o. They're making a killing from this stuff. MTN... Fleecing You Everywhere You Go

shegsky:

Re: MTN Surprise Call Rate Is A Rip Off by markpenk: 12:37pm On Nov 20, 2014
My bro... These guys are cunning I swear. All Na wayo
Mekiluv:
Had similar issue. Called the Customer care and they said I should call back in 24hrs because they can't view my calls history or diagnosis what happened so I just decided to blank them knowing fully that MTN is scam and there is nothing we the subscribers can do about it which is the most annoying part of it.
Re: MTN Surprise Call Rate Is A Rip Off by markpenk: 12:38pm On Nov 20, 2014
grin grin grin cheesy grin cheesy.
Hostermipo:

Na so we see am. surprise indeed. I never make
any call since morning, the first time I saw 40.00kb
I thought Na 0.4 or 4.00 but as I open my eyes
wella naso I see 40.00. I switch of my phone,on it
back, still the saw thing, Toh.......Na msg I dey send
since o
Re: MTN Surprise Call Rate Is A Rip Off by Nobody: 12:48pm On Nov 20, 2014
markpenk:
End on the 24th? You sure? These guys will move the date forward o. They're making a killing from this stuff. MTN... Fleecing You Everywhere You Go

Guy, as i type these ,am happy to announce to you that my call rate is back to normal. I can now flex at d rate of 4k and 8k per secs.

(1) (Reply)

65-inch Android Tablet With 4k Display, Tegra X1 Processor, And 4gb Of Ram (pics / Tell Us About Your Infinix Hot / Red Hot Infinix Hot For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.