Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,746 members, 7,817,057 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

My Journey Towards Being A Successful Doctor In the US (story Of My Life) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Journey Towards Being A Successful Doctor In the US (story Of My Life) (4912 Views)

My Journey Slashing Pips In The FX World / When Doctor Asks You "Are You Sexually Active?" In Front Of Your Mum / Inspiring Story Of A Disabled Lady Who Rose To Prominence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Journey Towards Being A Successful Doctor In the US (story Of My Life) by Grinder: 9:11pm On Nov 19, 2014
Before i start my story..I hope to inspire some of the medical students...Or students planning to study medicine and are having issues...

My Story So far.,

After graduating from secondary school.. I couldnt get an admission into my dream school University of Ibadan to study Medicine.. My life felt like it was gonna end.. My world kept shattering.. My family gave me no breathing space..I wasnt free to do any of my fun activities..I was grounded for months and weeks.. Until i had to sit for the next jamb... I sat for the next jamb..and still got no admission...

All thanks to God.. i gained admission into a Caribbean Medical University.To study my dream course medicine... Let me Highlight How Medical school works in the Carribean.. Its a total of 4years.. You spend a yr doing Foundation classes.. (PreMed). And then you spend 2 years doing Basic Science..Where proper medical school begins.... I scaled through every class and every course.. I finished both my foundation and my basic science classes... To start my clinicals in the States..I had to go back to Nigeria to apply for a US visa.. I got B1 visa successfully..and without much stress...thanks to my school

The moment came when my future was to be defined... I was registered for the board exam.. United State Medical Licensing Examination.. Passing this exam was gonna shape my future.. Failing it was gonna crush everything i built from my Nursery School days.. I sat for the exam after spending 4months studying..The first challenge for me was motivation. So Before the exam, I watched all Kaplan Medicine videos (also watched surgery, psych videos, a few important obgyn and peds video). Then I took a baseline NBME where I scored 191.

It showed the videos weren't enough for me to be prepared for my step 1....iI sat for the main exam.. USMLE Step 1.. And i scored 230... I was on the edge.. I thought the score was bad.. till my Dean called me directly..And congratulated me.. YH.I knew my dreams were slowly coming through.. I began my 72 weeks clinical rotations at Jackson Park Hospital Chicago.. I took my step 2 examination after my clinical rotations..And i scored 242..A pretty nice score i was proud of..
After all the reading and late night sleeps.. And constant anti depressant helps.. I got a nice hospital for my residency program..Where the money started popping in cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin ...From there..I knew my life has begun..My dream has come thru.. I went back to my alma mata.. Encouraged students and gave them tips on how to pass the board examinations.. And surely..I would also want to help my fellow nairalanders that are following the same pathway...

Am a state licensed Doctor.I have been practising for 3 years now..Paediatrics Surgery is my specialized field of medicine. The only problem i have is little time... And..i guess am not just ready to build a family till my workload drops a little bit... wink wink wink wink.. And i hope the woman of my life..Walks into my life..anytime soon...hehe..
The only time i have..I spend it on nairaland wink wink..Reading all the possessed threads.. cheesy cheesy cheesy..

If u also need help following dis same pathways..i can always be available for assistance and advices.. ADIÓS

Lesson: Dont give up quickly..And never settle for less..Always aspire for the top.. If i had given up after failing to get admission twice... I would have been studying maybe Agricultural science... (Patients Are calling**** cheesy cheesy cheesy
I just hope i inspired someone..

For Questions or to ask about info and tips u can always holla at doclordgrinder@gmail.com

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey Towards Being A Successful Doctor In the US (story Of My Life) by holatin(m): 9:25pm On Nov 19, 2014
nice one
Re: My Journey Towards Being A Successful Doctor In the US (story Of My Life) by motherlode: 9:38pm On Nov 19, 2014
* (*_*) *
Re: My Journey Towards Being A Successful Doctor In the US (story Of My Life) by Grinder: 10:12pm On Nov 19, 2014
holatin:
nice one

Thanks
Re: My Journey Towards Being A Successful Doctor In the US (story Of My Life) by 9inches(m): 10:22pm On Nov 19, 2014
Nice one Doc. Your determination and hardwork paid off!
Re: My Journey Towards Being A Successful Doctor In the US (story Of My Life) by DBestDoc(f): 4:15am On Nov 20, 2014
@ Grinder
Inspiring indeed!
Do you mind if i PM? Would like to get some first hand info. about some stuffs.
Re: My Journey Towards Being A Successful Doctor In the US (story Of My Life) by Grinder: 6:14am On Nov 20, 2014
DBestDoc:
@ Grinder
Inspiring indeed!
No Prob.. Bro..
Re: My Journey Towards Being A Successful Doctor In the US (story Of My Life) by Grinder: 2:26pm On Nov 20, 2014
DBestDoc:
@ Grinder
Inspiring indeed!

This is my mail... doclordgrinder@gmail.com .... U can always mail anytime for any info
Re: My Journey Towards Being A Successful Doctor In the US (story Of My Life) by Grinder: 2:34pm On Nov 20, 2014
Esther20 .. U can holla back doclordgrinder@gmail.com... Thats my mail..if u need assistance...
Re: My Journey Towards Being A Successful Doctor In the US (story Of My Life) by DBestDoc(f): 4:13pm On Nov 20, 2014
@grinder
Thanks
Re: My Journey Towards Being A Successful Doctor In the US (story Of My Life) by MrsAwesome: 6:22pm On Nov 20, 2014
Loving this.....
May I ask.....why peadiatry ....I mean do you have the passion for it or is it because residency slots are limited in those other topnotch fields like anesthesia, neurosurgery , dermatology etc..
Need your candid opinion here.

Good luck in your chosen field doc.
Re: My Journey Towards Being A Successful Doctor In the US (story Of My Life) by Grinder: 6:35pm On Nov 21, 2014
MrsAwesome:
Loving this.....
May I ask.....why peadiatry ....I mean do you have the passion for it or is it because residency slots are limited in those other topnotch fields like anesthesia, neurosurgery , dermatology etc..
Need your candid opinion here.

Good luck in your chosen field doc.

Cool Question Tho..
Why peds Well i just felt..I loved children,,I always challenged myself to understand children and work with them..And i felt..dealing with children would be tough.So it should be an inspiration for me... And it gave me opportunities to develop close links with primary care, child and adolescent psychiatry..Residency slots are not limited...Cos i know most people venture into that ...
Re: My Journey Towards Being A Successful Doctor In the US (story Of My Life) by benjola2222(m): 4:16am On Sep 12, 2018
This is really nice, you can get materials at [url]usmle.com.ng[/url] that’s where I got mine & also share ideas with other people on how to prepare for the exam, to register go to Online Services at [url]ecfmg.org[/url]
Re: My Journey Towards Being A Successful Doctor In the US (story Of My Life) by Lordsagna: 9:40pm On Jul 05, 2021
Nice one sir.

(1) (Reply)

Rumble In Mike Adenuga’s Globacom / Tony Elumelu Story Inspires Mba Students / Info On AEDC Salary Scale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.