Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,933 members, 7,828,255 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:22 AM

Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? (2016 Views)

Old Style Of Oath Taking By Recruits In The Early Days Of The Nigeria Army / Steps To Be Taking By The Igbos To Achieve Biafra Country. / Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? by joftech(m): 3:30am On Sep 27, 2005
Shouldn't we legalize Bribe taking by Nigerian Policemen?

I used to wonder if it could be possible for us to legalize "rogering" our policemen.

It has become a way of life so what stops us.
Re: Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? by hotangel2(f): 6:55am On Sep 27, 2005
Are you trying to promote "crime"? Instead of finding "cure" or a way to stop it, you r thinking of how to legalize it.
Re: Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? by whizkid(f): 8:41am On Sep 27, 2005
You can't beat them, join them? My dear, what should come to your mind is how we can sanitize the Nigeria Police and not encourage them to take bribe. In case you don't know both the receiver and giver of bribes are guilty. Legalizing bribe taking is like legalizing corruption which is what has eaten deep into our system and has destabilised it. The other day, a clergy was shot dead by a trigger happy fella, who calls himself a policeman because the guy refused to give him N20 bribe. The police who is suppose to enforce the law, are the ones breaking it.
Re: Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? by Jakumo(m): 8:43am On Sep 27, 2005
Good day, esteemed forumites, this is Jakumo on final approach requesting permission to touch down at NairaLand International Airport, with my opening submission being on the topic of bribe-collecting policemen on Nigerian Roads.

I support the idea of regulating and taxing the "toll fees" collected by policemen on Nigerian roads, since the salaries of many civil servants, including the police, are rarely paid on time. Considering that the police are armed, it behoves a wise road user in Nigeria to do his or her best to keep the boys with the loaded AK's in a good mood, so as to minimize the odds of an "accidental discharge" as one drives past the checkpoint.

The only procedural drawback I can see with the idea of taxing policemen's highway income would be this : Who will be in charge of collecting that revenue, and how will the tax be assessed, given the inevitable reluctance of the boys in black to fill out income declaration forms ?

1 Like

Re: Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? by joftech(m): 9:21am On Sep 27, 2005
Jakumo God bless you for your insights.

What really inspires me to suggest this is that around 3AM last night i went out and i saw these men with their rickety patrol van going round the town. Most of those crying foul over N20 were with their wife and children, but these guys where in the rain trying to see who goes there and make sure would be trouble maker have some fear of been sighted.

On number of occasions many of those on the highway get killed in drivebys by armed robbers and smugglers, yet we only see that as their punishment angry.

If we legalize it and demystify the giving of N20 to these people it will reduce the possibility of them discharging at any fucking time, or do you want someone with no assurance of how he can calm the frayed nerves of a nagging to be smiling at you went you fail to do his bidding on the road.

I see it as a "motivational token" not a bribe, if we call it a bribe we are really misssing something. We must only make them know that it's going to be a free giving, not to be forcibly taken from people as it is now.

Marijuana was legalized in The Netherland and i know it will be just like cigarette in 10 years time, so what really stop us from putting smiles on the faces of some under-motivated "hard workers".
Re: Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? by Motee(f): 10:16am On Sep 27, 2005
I don’t think the N20 should be legalised because not all of them agree to take that, some of them take more than that depending where you are going among the Commercial Buses.  If it is legalised, then we are asking for more trouble which might even lead to death from straight bullet for those who don't have this N20 a times.

It might be a motivational token to the educated people but definitely not to most of them who knows nothing about it.
Re: Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? by salako: 1:34pm On Sep 27, 2005
i don't know how it works in Nigeria, but it appears to me that tipping police is the norm. in America tipping waitresses is essential because they don't earn enough without tips. i assume the Nigerian cops can't live on their wages and that's why the need to solicit cash. So why not tax people fairly and raise cops wages? or are they just greedy people?
Re: Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? by angelak(f): 3:44pm On Sep 27, 2005
Please let it not be legalized. If already the police kill people because of their refusal to give bribe, talkless of when it is legalized? what will become of us? cry
Re: Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? by layi(m): 7:14pm On Sep 27, 2005
What is wrong is wrong.
We might as well legalize stealin since some people can't afford to put foods on their table and they must eat.

The cops have got no excuse. They are not the only ones not paid early. Teachers and other civil servants suffer same fate.

The police have taken to this heinous crime because they handle "mr death".
I even wonder what police are doing with bazuka..they aint soldiers. A cop is supposed to be with sticks or at most pistols (if patrolin' volatile areas)
Legalizing every wrong simply because u can't fight it only shows how parochial u are. Learn from others because there's no problem without a solution.
Re: Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? by whizkid(f): 11:33am On Sep 29, 2005
The policemen signed up for the job voluntarily. Are we then suppose to pay them for doing their job? I sometimes give money to policemen when they stop me,(at least  to those of them who beg for it) after discovering that they've got nothing on me. Nobody should be compelled to give them anything extra for doing their job. What we should do is to campaign that they get better pay and better living conditions.
Re: Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? by klex(m): 6:17pm On Sep 29, 2005
What exactly is the point of this thread?

Please, provide us with the possible merits of legalising bribery/crime.
Re: Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? by Jakumo(m): 7:52am On Oct 02, 2005
Klex, the point of the thread, from the standpoint of those who are willing to accept the practice of tipping Nigerian policemen, is that irrespective of the moral or legal arguments to the contrary, an armed man kept in a good mood presents much less of a threat to road users than would an armed man annoyed by a bribe not offered.

Until such time as the salaries of the Nigerian Police force are paid regularly and on schedule, the existential question that should over-ride others in the mind of  Nigerian road users must be whether they are prepared to risk their lives to become unarmed moral enforcers to armed men who are rarely held accountable for the use to which their weapons are applied.

I personally would rather part with some loose change than join the brave folks who chose to argue at checkpoints and are now no more. That is the reality on the ground in Nigeria despite our wishes for a better state of affairs. Change, when it comes, will begin at the top, and not out on the mean streets.
Re: Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? by bambi(m): 6:03pm On Oct 02, 2005
dont call it bribe. it is a tip which means to insure promptness. it means you are always prompt at your engagements. the police will ot delay you.

any way the tips should be categorised and pegged at 100 naira. danfo drivers N20, pesronal cars N50 (exclusuive of luxury cars) trucks N70 and theives N100.

if we categorise these tolls there will be less problems and the police will have a rough estimate of his daily take home. the drivers and owners will also have an idea of how much to move around with everyday
Re: Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? by joftech(m): 7:20pm On Oct 02, 2005
any way the tips should be categorised and pegged at 100 naira. danfo drivers N20, pesronal cars N50 (exclusuive of luxury cars) trucks N70 and theives N100.

Luxury cars like Hummers, Limos, Bently and Rolls should be made to part with N1,000.
Re: Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? by Motee(f): 11:31am On Oct 04, 2005
@Joftech & Bambi: I like your break down of payment. Very funny.

We are still not save sha!
Re: Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? by Greatpeter(m): 10:10pm On Oct 11, 2005
I shake my head for everyone trying to justifying the police over bribe taking.

Either they are under the rain at night is not the issue.

It's the job they signed for and they are paid for it.

There is no job without it's associated risks.

I work under rain at times, should I demand more from the people I take care just because I'm under the rain when I'm being paid for the same job?

When they wake me up at night should I fume when i'm being paid for it?

Let's not justifying the corrupt police let's call a spade a spade.
Re: Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? by LoverBwoy(m): 5:57pm On Dec 19, 2006
Re: Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? by chic2pimp(m): 10:03pm On Oct 28, 2010
Jakumo:

Good day, esteemed forumites, this is Jakumo on final approach requesting permission to touch down at NairaLand International Airport, with my opening submission being on the topic of bribe-collecting policemen on Nigerian Roads.

I support the idea of regulating and taxing the "toll fees" collected by policemen on Nigerian roads, since the salaries of many civil servants, including the police, are rarely paid on time. Considering that the police are armed, it behoves a wise road user in Nigeria to do his or her best to keep the boys with the loaded AK's in a good mood, so as to minimize the odds of an "accidental discharge" as one drives past the checkpoint.

The only procedural drawback I can see with the idea of taxing policemen's highway income would be this : Who will be in charge of collecting that revenue, and how will the tax be assessed, given the inevitable reluctance of the boys in black to fill out income declaration forms ?
grin grin grin grin grin Omo ti o gbadun.
Re: Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Oct 28, 2010
Kan kuku legalize eh.
Abi kilo tu ku?
Awon ti won sise ninu ijoba moh pe nkan ti won se ko legal, sugbon won stop e, so. . . .ki lo tu ku.

They should make legal a standard pay so it would be fair for everyone. What's with this N20, N50 N60 bribe?
Re: Bribe-taking by Nigerian Policemen: Should We Legalize It? by tck2000(m): 7:08pm On Jun 28, 2019
Haba

(1) (Reply)

20days Countdown To See Y2k8 No More / I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Their Leaders / Niger Marries Almajiri And Western Educational System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.