Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,214 members, 7,836,038 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:38 PM

Who Is A Celebrity? - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Who Is A Celebrity? (1187 Views)

Photo Of The Day( She Is A Celebrity In Her World) / When U Get Married To A Celebrity Branch Manager, Lol (Photo) / Interview With Celebrity Desmond Elliot: Why I Run Away From Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is A Celebrity? by ghanaceleb: 2:43am On Nov 27, 2008
Time and time again I have asked this question; who is a celebrity? I posed this same question to couple of people and well as expected I was given a variety of definitions. Nonetheless, the most interesting response was “a celebrity is a person who is in the limelight.” This particular response got me thinking; when we say one is in the limelight do we mean the people who for various reasons have adorned the front pages of newspapers?
What about the faces we see on TV, and the voices on radio? A friend told me “Massa, u see say Ataa Aryi (the popular armed robber in Ghana) be celebrity now?” if I should go by the definition above, I think Ataa Aryi has attained that status. Anyway, let’s take a look at what the dictionary says about who a celebrity is. The oxford dictionary defines a celebrity as “a famous person or the state of being well known.”

Now back to my question; who is a celebrity? Is it the armed robber who for over 6 months festooned the front pages of all the newspapers? Or the rich man who had the biggest wedding which attracted massive media attention? Is it the hot new artist with chart topping album and smash hit single or the new actor or actress on the movie scene? Oops, almost escaped me; what about the popular man of God who performs unimaginable miracles and is tipped to be God’s favorite? The fetish priest? The TV/radio personality? Ok the big spenders/club owners? Hmm… the controversial journalists? Hey! What about the sports stars?

What are the criteria for being a celebrity? There are various factors that come into account when defining or determining who is a celebrity. Of course we have a different pop culture from the west and it will be absurd on my part to employ the western “evaluation sheet” here. Thus, who a celebrity is boils down to how these individuals are perceived by the general public, and oh don’t forget to throw in the attention magnet scale too. In your own opinion, who do you think is a celebrity?

Source:http://www.ghanacelebrities.com
Re: Who Is A Celebrity? by whatever90(f): 2:44am On Nov 27, 2008
a celebrity is me cool
Re: Who Is A Celebrity? by KarmaMod(f): 2:45am On Nov 27, 2008
For someone who is mixed race, you'd think she'd have better hair or at least not stick with these cheap weaves. Jeez
Re: Who Is A Celebrity? by tosinadeda: 2:49am On Nov 27, 2008
KarmaMod:

For someone who is mixed race, you'd think she'd have better hair or at least not stick with these cheap weaves. Jeez

good point
Re: Who Is A Celebrity? by ghanaceleb: 2:52am On Nov 27, 2008
who said she is a mixed race? she is never a mixed race, get your facts well.
Re: Who Is A Celebrity? by Andala: 3:46am On Nov 27, 2008
A celebrity is a celeb grin
Re: Who Is A Celebrity? by KarmaMod(f): 4:23am On Nov 27, 2008
ghanaceleb:

who said she is a mixed race? she is never a mixed race, get your facts well.

yes she is. Half Lebanese.
Re: Who Is A Celebrity? by ghanaceleb: 5:28am On Nov 27, 2008
No, she is no half lebanese, stop lying to yourself
Re: Who Is A Celebrity? by KarmaMod(f): 5:41pm On Nov 27, 2008
You obviously have issues. She's not Nigerian so why would I feel the need to lie on her behalf?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadia_Buari

[url]http://www.modernghana.com/news2/305/5/i-don't-see-any-wedding-coming-soon-nadia-buari.html[/url]

She specifically refers to herself as being a halfcaste. Apparently you don't know the meaning of the word
Re: Who Is A Celebrity? by sophienwa(f): 9:47pm On Nov 27, 2008
a celebrity is someone who is celebrated.
Re: Who Is A Celebrity? by ztyle(m): 1:25am On Nov 28, 2008
Good point! some like me! cool

(1) (Reply)

Trendy Flats For Ladies Avaiable Now! / Osita Iheme ( Pawpaw) Opens Up On National Award, Says I’ve Also Found Love. / Nigerian Actress Monalisa Chinda Regrets Divorce – Her Wedding Plan With Lanre N

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.