Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,203 members, 7,815,190 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:48 AM

"Fear of Poverty Made Me The Best", Bells University's Best Graduate - Vanguard - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / "Fear of Poverty Made Me The Best", Bells University's Best Graduate - Vanguard (1206 Views)

Nigerian Student Wins AIT University's Best Graduating Student Of The Year Award / I Danced, Played Football, Basketball And Rapped – Oti, Covenant University Best / Alma Oputa: Covenant University's Best Graduating Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Fear of Poverty Made Me The Best", Bells University's Best Graduate - Vanguard by liveyourlife: 1:00am On Nov 21, 2014
Seun that owns this platform's namesake - Gideon Oluwaseun Afolayan lost his father, Pa James Afolayan when he was just seven years old. His mother was the youngest of many wives, and he, the last of the six children from his mother.

The 27-year-old was raised by his eldest sister and her daughter, who provided him with the best education they could afford. This propelled him to graduate with a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 4.90 from the Bells University of Technology, Ota, Ogun State last Saturday, beating 325 others to win the overall best graduating student prize.

Sharing his story, the graduate of Physics and Electronics, with a deep hatred for poverty, declared that it made him graduate as the best.

“When I say poverty made me graduate as the best, I do not mean I was poor as a student, but I hate poverty with a passion and would not want it close to me. So, wherever I find myself I strive for excellence. That was why all through my primary, secondary, polytechnic and university education, I always aspired to be at the top,” he said.

He came to live with his elder sister after the death of his father. “I lived with her in Zaria, and then her daughter also took me away from her due to God’s favour and good character. They asked if I would come and live with them and I agreed. God has raised me from one level of grace to the other since then. From Abuja we came down to Lagos and God planted me in BellsTech.” He said.

“Before I got admission into Bells, I asked God what he has for me because I believe in living my life based on specific target, God kept unveiling opportunities for me. I first had the passion to top my department. So, in the first semester God helped me with that and I had a 4.85. In the second semester David Abejide, who is my very good friend came to me one evening and told me there was a scholarship available, but the condition is to top my college. So, I continued with my hardworking life style and I topped my college with a 4.95 and got the scholarship. Sixty per cent of my fee was paid by the school for the year.

“After that I asked myself what other height I could scale and at the last convocation I told myself I would be the next.

Afolayan advised undergraduates to be disciplined, saying discipline determines the height everyone will get to on earth. He hopes to further his studies at the prestigious Cambridge University.

(Seems there is something good following the Oluwaseun name. Go consider am for my pickin wen i marry.)

Via http://

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/11/poverty-made-best-bells-tech-university-best-graduate/

1 Like

Re: "Fear of Poverty Made Me The Best", Bells University's Best Graduate - Vanguard by Texykool: 1:38am On Nov 21, 2014
Re: "Fear of Poverty Made Me The Best", Bells University's Best Graduate - Vanguard by liveyourlife: 1:46am On Nov 21, 2014
Texykool:

Guy how far na? grin angry sad shocked
Re: "Fear of Poverty Made Me The Best", Bells University's Best Graduate - Vanguard by Nobody: 1:52am On Nov 21, 2014
Really nice..the rate at which people fear poverty these days..Lolzz

1 Like

Re: "Fear of Poverty Made Me The Best", Bells University's Best Graduate - Vanguard by Texykool: 2:00am On Nov 21, 2014
liveyourlife:

Guy how far na? grin angry sad shocked

Nairaland representative reporting for duty cheesy

1 Like

Re: "Fear of Poverty Made Me The Best", Bells University's Best Graduate - Vanguard by jayplect(m): 2:04am On Nov 21, 2014
Well work! God bless you
Re: "Fear of Poverty Made Me The Best", Bells University's Best Graduate - Vanguard by liveyourlife: 2:08am On Nov 21, 2014
SuperMartins:
Really nice..the rate at which people fear poverty these days..Lolzz

True talk;

If you are still in school, you might find this needful http://
Re: "Fear of Poverty Made Me The Best", Bells University's Best Graduate - Vanguard by amokeme(f): 2:20am On Nov 21, 2014
The fear of poverty is the beginning of wisdom grin grin anyways, nice job... and may God crown all ur efforts in Jesus name smiley

1 Like

Re: "Fear of Poverty Made Me The Best", Bells University's Best Graduate - Vanguard by golor(m): 3:46am On Nov 21, 2014
Keep thanking God cos it not for ur fear of poverty bt d grace of God in u.many of us do fear poverty and strive for d best bt most time it doesn't work out dat way.fear poverty or not,u re wat God says u re.nice one bro
Re: "Fear of Poverty Made Me The Best", Bells University's Best Graduate - Vanguard by gbenga4sure(m): 7:16am On Nov 21, 2014
grin So na fear poverty make u read hard,but i think u are rich bcause u attended BUTO So why afraid of poverty.
Re: "Fear of Poverty Made Me The Best", Bells University's Best Graduate - Vanguard by SEYIKP(m): 11:31am On Nov 21, 2014
To the man that didn't have destination, every station will look like a bus-stop. Your veneration towards poverty didn't give you success, it's your relentless in the place of study and divine providence that has brought you this far. I wish that one the I will also be the best amidst equals.
Re: "Fear of Poverty Made Me The Best", Bells University's Best Graduate - Vanguard by dew1: 1:01pm On Nov 21, 2014
the best in the class...
He's scared of poverty...
Your classmates...they love poverty?
Re: "Fear of Poverty Made Me The Best", Bells University's Best Graduate - Vanguard by Chiscomax(m): 1:21pm On Nov 21, 2014
but I like facebook
Re: "Fear of Poverty Made Me The Best", Bells University's Best Graduate - Vanguard by liveyourlife: 3:43pm On Nov 21, 2014
Chiscomax:
but I like facebook

then you'll like http://
Re: "Fear of Poverty Made Me The Best", Bells University's Best Graduate - Vanguard by Nobody: 4:14pm On Nov 21, 2014
No one likes poverty. It's all by God's grace and not your fear of poverty. From the story, you happen to be one of those God has blessed with knowledge and wisdom.
Hearthy congratulation to you. The sky is your starting point.

(1) (Reply)

TOP 10 Lucrative Businesses In Nigeria That Can Fetch Easy Cash / Please Urgent Answer Needed / All Universities And Polytechnic Cut-off Marks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.