Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:35 AM

Nigerians, Are We Not Overburdened By Too Many ID Cards? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerians, Are We Not Overburdened By Too Many ID Cards? (340 Views)

7 Reasons Why Nigerians Are Happy People / "Nigerians Are Not All Scammers And Fraudsters" Swiss Woman Reveals (VIDEO) / How Do I Get My Nigeria National Id Card? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians, Are We Not Overburdened By Too Many ID Cards? by cozimo: 8:31pm On Nov 24, 2014
Too many ID cards

On one of those mornings my regular newspaper vendor could not deliver the morning papers at my home, I went to an alternate newsstand. But the vendor had not shown up. So, I decided to wait a bit. While waiting, I noticed a canopy with a banner not far away, and decided to see what went on. As I got closer, l could see written on the banner: “Do your National ID card. Pre-registration here.”

Unlike the crowd around venues for collection of permanent voter cards, the place was desolate. Nigerians must be wearied, I figured. The young man who sat there had a forlorn look. I asked him what the process was. He said I needed to pay N300 to fill a form, and after that I would go to a local government to collect the card.

I had a sneak peek at the many forms he had on his table. This National Identification Card promises other features, including that I could use it as an ATM card. I paused for a while. Then, he asked me if I was ready. I gave him a wry smile. My hands were now in my pockets. The feel of my ATM card in my left pocket gave me a canny feeling. I also caressed my work ID card on my right pocket, and the naira bills co-habiting with it. I thought of my voter card, my driving licence, my travelling passport, my Lagos State Residents Registration Agency ID, my old rejected national ID card, my bank verification number, other ID cards of one association or the other, and with SIM registration, maybe, soon my phone will also be added to the mix.

And just then, the vendor showed up. As I made to meet the vendor, the young man asked, “Oga, are you not doing again?” Know what I told him? “Not now, Sunny, I have got an ‘idgraine’ headache!”

Dr. Cosmas Odoemena,

Ikeja, Lagos State

http://www.punchng.com/opinion/letters/too-many-id-cards/
Re: Nigerians, Are We Not Overburdened By Too Many ID Cards? by AdeniyiA(m): 8:42pm On Nov 24, 2014
for the big guns who run the show it's never too many. How/where will contracts to settle them come from.
Re: Nigerians, Are We Not Overburdened By Too Many ID Cards? by Sigoal(m): 8:42pm On Nov 24, 2014
really

(1) (Reply)

Police In Uyo Arrests Woman For Burying Baby Alive / Ghost Of Apc’s “CHANGE” Hunts President Jonathan / Nigeria Is One Of The World’s Least Prosperous Countries In 2014 – Global Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.