Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,560 members, 7,823,478 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% - Business (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% (41740 Views)

CBN Reduces Lending Rate To 11 Percent / Cash Shortage Hits Banks, Overnight Lending Rate Jumps / CBN Officially Devalues Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by chukwuinya: 1:54pm On Nov 26, 2014
when economists are talking you should just be listening , not making noise before I take you into classroom
franciskaine:
you wey sabi oya explain to us. I bet you don't even know the meaning of inflation.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by 1stdammy: 2:04pm On Nov 26, 2014
simplemach:
must a party's name be mentioned?
Abi o, O sun mi o. Abeg help me ask dem wella oooo
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by gfullmoon(m): 2:13pm On Nov 26, 2014
Obama's electoral promise is in action and we're here catching cold. How many of our Leaders proimses has been fulfilled,power,Ajaokuta steel,Refinery,employment,health care,agriculture,education etc?

Our leaders are visionless,that's our greatest curse never oil. Our oil could've taken us to the envy of Asian Tigers, Saudi,Qatar ect,but poor leadership and corruption since Independence has turned our Oil to a curse. Is has never been OIL BOOM in Nigeria rather OIL DOOM.

4 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 2:19pm On Nov 26, 2014
Save up enough now like Joseph did, and pray like never before. Nigeria will experience scarcity in 2015. It's a PROPHECY! Let he that has ears hear what the Spirit of the LORD is saying. Shalom people!

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by 1stdammy: 2:23pm On Nov 26, 2014
Keneking:
Jonathan has finished us ...he must just go next year grin
Dis is jonathan again Are u for real!!!!? I seriously pity U o, 'cos it will get to a tym wen jonathan will b d only and d major determinant of all u wud b doing.............better think(its an advice)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by UjSizzle(f): 2:28pm On Nov 26, 2014
My sincere sympathies to my Igbo brothers who have containers on the high sea sad

You'd expect though that Nigeria would have learnt enough to diversify her economy by now, and increase our external reserves, instead of chopping all our oil money on useless luxury expenditures angry

This crayfish condition we're constantly sucked into makes no sense at all.

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by deenee: 2:30pm On Nov 26, 2014
I am tempted to coment but I will refrain because there are a lot of people that are still in the dark, have tunnel understanding of how and why such decisions are taken and still base their arguements along political, tribal and religous sentiments.

I read some of the comments herein and still wonder where we have got it wrong. Is it with the educational system or the fact that we tend to value short term benefit over long term gratification.

If this decision was taken in the US under similar circumstances we will all applaud it but because its Nigeria, there is outrage.

May God open our eyes of understanding esp that of the youth our future leaders and God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by hmohammed(m): 2:38pm On Nov 26, 2014
deenee:
I am tempted to coment but I will refrain because there are a lot of people that are still in the dark, have tunnel understanding of how and why such decisions are taken and still base their arguements along political, tribal and religous sentiments.

I read some of the comments herein and still wonder where we have got it wrong. Is it with the educational system or the fact that we tend to value short term benefit over long term gratification.

If this decision was taken in the US under similar circumstances we will all applaud it but because its Nigeria, there is outrage.

May God open our eyes of understanding esp that of the youth our future leaders and God bless Nigeria.

Wetin dis one dey talk. Rubish

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Carlmax(m): 2:50pm On Nov 26, 2014
deenee:

what's your point!

3 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by SirBlack999(m): 3:01pm On Nov 26, 2014
How the mighty has fallen
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by citizenisb: 3:09pm On Nov 26, 2014
The exchange rate for the dollar in Abuja parallel market, otherwise called the black market, on Wednesday rose to between N182 and N186, a day after the Central Bank of Nigeria devalued the nation’s currency by N13, an investigation by a News Agency of Nigeria correspondent revealed.

This is against the new official exchange rate N168 announced on Tuesday by the Governor of CBN, Mr Godwin Emefiele.

The NAN correspondent, who checked near the Sheraton Hotel, Zone 4, Abuja, the rendezvous for most ‘black’ market operators, found that the lowest naira exchange to the official exchange rate was N182.

Some of the operators told NAN that the difference between their rate and the official rate was to accommodate the “extra charges’’ they pay to “dealers’’ they got the hard currency from.

http://www.punchng.com/news/devaluation-naira-hits-n186-in-parallel-market/

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nobody: 3:43pm On Nov 26, 2014
average minds analysing its effect on the economy, small idea minds castigating the govt, while genius minds like mine already locked into the opportunity and bought sufficient dollars at 156Naira,, ibo mind da greatest

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Virgindove(f): 4:00pm On Nov 26, 2014
I hope ours is not an animal kingdom being ruled by a zoologist claiming goodluck and patience are enough to bring the needed transformation, or how could one explain the daily dwindling fortune of our nation despite the abundance of both human and natural resources. Nigeria the giant, is now world acclaimed weakling in the comity of nations. The machinery upon which our existence depends is sick and need a physician for an urgent and honest diagnosis.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Fourwinds: 4:18pm On Nov 26, 2014
We have i..diots managing our economy. How can someone tell me to devalue d naira is to strengthen it. When d prices of oil were high why didnt d naira appreciate in value to at least from #155 to #140. Den i will understand dis recent development. Nonsense policy makers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Delafruita(m): 4:41pm On Nov 26, 2014
atlwireles:

Where do you curtain this looting, in Abuja or your state capital/LGA?
do you always have to be mischievious all in a bid to defend jonathan?can't you have a mind of your own?Just 2weeks ago,I did an exchange from naira to the beninnoise CFA at the rate of 324,today I am amazed that the rate is 345.for those who think the devaluation of the naira is just economic hullaballo that won't affect them,its already affecting every sphere of the economy.imported goods will now cost more,exported goods will now fetch less.this is jonanomics at its peak.jonanomics is the art of pushing the burden for the failure of government unto the masses.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Nosyke(m): 4:55pm On Nov 26, 2014
Great thread. I like the way most posters on this thread have been very detailed in their explanations and for most part , objective.

Now as a layman, I just have a few questions:

Assuming I have this agricultural product that I normally buy at 10 naira per quantity lets say in Feb/Mar and sell at 30 nair per quantity by Oct/Nov, with all these hapenings in the economy, is it still advisable to go ahead with such business next year?

I am about making some business decision that will cost me so heavy funds but I am not sure whether to go ahead or not.....

Thanks

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by atlwireles: 5:03pm On Nov 26, 2014
Delafruita:
do you always have to be mischievious all in a bid to defend jonathan?can't you have a mind of your own?Just 2weeks ago,I did an exchange from naira to the beninnoise CFA at the rate of 324,today I am amazed that the rate is 345.for those who think the devaluation of the naira is just economic hullaballo that won't affect them,its already affecting every sphere of the economy.imported goods will now cost more,exported goods will now fetch less.this is jonanomics at its peak.jonanomics is the art of pushing the burden for the failure of government unto the masses.

Educate yourself before posting gibberish.

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Originalsly: 5:08pm On Nov 26, 2014
Nosyke:
Great thread. I like the way most posters on this thread have been very detailed in their explanations and for most part , objective.

Now as a layman, I just have a few questions:

Assuming I have this agricultural product that I normally buy at 10 naira per quantity lets say in Feb/Mar and sell at 30 nair per quantity by Oct/Nov, with all these hapenings in the economy, is it still advisable to go ahead with such business next year?

I am about making some business decision that will cost me so heavy funds but I am not sure whether to go ahead or not.....

Thanks

As a layman.....you will be paying more for the same product next year....the cost to develop and get the product to market will be greater...and your selling price would have to be greater. Whatever the product is...by the end of the year you will notice an increase in the market price....layman to layman.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by Delafruita(m): 5:22pm On Nov 26, 2014
atlwireles:

Educate yourself before posting gibberish.
you are the one who needs an education

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by IMMUNO1(m): 6:06pm On Nov 26, 2014
CBN oo......Sanusi ran and sustained the banking sector without ATM service charges and the banks never collapsed. Now this one has returned it and they want to finish my money. These guys are just confused.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by jpphilips(m): 6:14pm On Nov 26, 2014
citizenisb:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-11-25/nigeria-raises-rates-devalues-defend-collapsing-currency-oil-price-blowback-spreads

Having exposed the demise of various oil-producing nations' currencies previously, it is noteworthy that Nigeria folded today and devalued the Naira peg to the USDollar by over 8% from 155 to 168 and widened its 'intervention' bands from 3% to 5% (the upper band is where the market is trading).

Furthermore, the central bank raised rates from 12% to 13%.

All oil-producing nations are seeing dramatic pressure on their currencies since oil topped...

The adjusted peg appears to 'try' to cap the collapse of the currency at current levels after the old peg-band was crushed a few weeks ago... and Nigeria is rapidly running out of reserves to defend its currency.

What happened to the reserves?
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by jpphilips(m): 6:18pm On Nov 26, 2014
BarryX:
So they have succeeded in impoverishing us

Or what does that mean to a Nigerian on the street hustling for his daily bread?

Apparently, The opposition will have a field day castigating the government citing how "clueless" and whatnot. I don't know what they would have done differently if saddled with the responsibility.

Note the biggest problem mentioned is the passage of the PIB - which some lazy bones from the other side of the divide don't want want to see or pass.

The problem with Nigeria rest squarely on some mofos up there.

Funny enough, The PIB is as clueless as the people who drafted it, hiding behind a s! lly document to justify failure is preposterous
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by jpphilips(m): 6:20pm On Nov 26, 2014
Boss13:

A funny approach to the topic. However, on an honest note, we are heading for economic disaster. The naira, presently, is shooting up to N180 on the street. Now that official rate is N168, black market price will shoot further to N190. This will further give rise to increase in the importation of goods into this country and a further price hike in goods and services. I predict a double digit inflation rate as a result of this because we are a huge consumption economy. The government need to tighten its fiscal and monetary policies immediately and begin a spiral economy boost by enabling all sectors of the economy to thrive. I will not be surprise if more people begin to hold and transact with dollars.

Oil dependency has gotten us into this mess. The price for oil will not go up again. This news brings tears and pains because we should have seen the writing on the wall. Obama swore to bring an end to increase Oil price and immediately they started their research on Shale Oil. Our government, especially our honourable Finance Minister, who is also expected to assess the risk, decided to relax and told us that if US don't buy our oil, other countries will but she has also forgotten that if US sells Shale Oil at a cheaper rate, the market dynamics will change and loyal Nigerian customers will change their buying preference.

How did you come about all these?
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by HardeyBbee: 6:41pm On Nov 26, 2014
barcanista:
Now this is someone talking. We have the resources, A serious government would have fixed all our existing Refineries and add one or two new ones. With that done, we will not be exporting our crude abroad to be refined only to import the refined product back, spending and wasting trillions on Imports, Exports and Subsidy. We will also be in position of exporting refined Product which will increase our revenue. Millions of Jobs will be created, support industry will spring up, it makes it easier to develop the manufacturing, Tourism, Agric sectors and infrastructure. Bros, a serious government only need 3 Years to put Nigeria back to the pedastal. Corruption, greed, Over-bloated cost of government, lack of vision and political will is what is killing us....Not forgeting illiteracy

Exactly, politicians are like diapers that need to be change frequently if they dont perform... we dnt have to wait 8 yrs to see if they will.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by HardeyBbee: 6:49pm On Nov 26, 2014
the problem I have with this administration is that they have taken corruption to a whole new level

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by BarryX(m): 6:56pm On Nov 26, 2014
jpphilips:

Funny enough, The PIB is as clueless as the people who drafted it, hiding behind a s! lly document to justify failure is preposterous
Actually, the "preposterousness" of the whole situation lies in your statement.

Why lampoon a document you haven't had the privilege of reading

You used four insultive words in just two sentences you manage to string. Haba ma na

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by steeviee(m): 7:12pm On Nov 26, 2014
When the idea of the excess crude account (ECA), was conceived by Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, most of our politicians (Governors etc.) shouted her down. Though the bill has been passed by the National Assembly it is still being contested today by the governors.

Now, I wonder why people are screaming GEJ, GEJ. We should direct our opinions to the myopic politicians, because the president is limited constitutionally on this issue.

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by chekasforchekas: 7:12pm On Nov 26, 2014
sonssyo:
what is he doing
sitting in an Ac office talking.
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by miky(m): 7:29pm On Nov 26, 2014
You guys should just shut the f*** Up

They say the best place to hide your money from a Black Man is within books, because they are too dump to read... with Nigerians ,the case is worse, the information is already posted here, and available on the WWW, but fools are talking about gari?.

Virtually every single oil producing nation is tightinging fiscal policy whether it is devaluing their currency or interest rate, except Saudi arabia, do you know what it means to have a worthless naira? devaluing the naira is inevitable except you want a worthless naira..

But it shouldn't stops there, we need increased IGR from every damn state.. Every state is a parasite on the federal government as it is.. We only feed on oil, and we wonder why we are poor? .. You have corporation that make more money than our oil makes for the entire nation in a year ( Walmart, shop rite, Apple, ibm, McDonald's, coke, Microsoft) I can go on, in fact its sad that 180 million people are just parasites and contribute nothing to productivity, instead they are talking about increase in garri, bloody Magas!!

Remove the damn subsidy and even add a tax of 10% on it, if u can give your tithes to thieves called pastors with 5 jets to their name alone, you can continue to a country which your grandchildren will inherit..

180 million parasites and you expect to feed off chicken change of 25 billion dollars from oil, and still want 1st world roads, hospitals, rail, jobs, infantructure, security, with only 25 billion in capital expenditure, GTFOH mad people!!!.

1 Like

Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by miky(m): 7:41pm On Nov 26, 2014
deenee:

Some of the dumbest comments I read I swear, they might not trust gej to do whatever he intends to, but they elected him.. Gej is too much of a punk, she should be stricter, office is not a poplulairty contest, get the damn job done and bounce, if that includeds short times of pain so be it..

How many years now?? he could have generated enough revenue, diversify this economy, remove subsidy increase IGR, cut our energy/commodity import bill, and build infrastructure.. The people don't have a clue!! they only judge the economy on garri and rice fluctuations
Re: CBN Devalues Naira From 155 to168 , Raises Lending Rate to13% by miky(m): 7:56pm On Nov 26, 2014
buJu234:
Please nigeria problem is not oil but mismanagement due to corruption. .

When oil prices were high every went up

Now that oil prices are low everything is still going up...

Can u see its not oil prices. ..?

Qatar UAE Norway etc didn't devalue their currency nor re they facing economic problems why...

Cos they all have good leadership that nigeria lacks. Weather PDP nor APC

Sharrap!!

Go search their oil export compared to ours? Compare their import bill compared to ours? Their population, and how productive they are.. I would be surprised if they had more factories/ plants/ than nigeria..

Our naira is devalued because we produce nothing more than oil, we are parasites and would die without oil, FINITO!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers / Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion / Want To Stop Being Dependent On Monthly Salary? This Is A Must See

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.