Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,345 members, 7,867,994 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 08:33 AM

Amaechi: No More Discrimination Btw Indigene & Non Indigene Tuition Fee In RSUST - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amaechi: No More Discrimination Btw Indigene & Non Indigene Tuition Fee In RSUST (603 Views)

Amaechi No Body Can Push Ndigbo To The Wall Not Even Buhari / Gbayi Women, Youths Protests El-rufai's Appointment Of Non Indigene..(pictured) / Again, El-rufai Appoints Non-indigene As Head Of Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Amaechi: No More Discrimination Btw Indigene & Non Indigene Tuition Fee In RSUST by emekaxy: 3:43pm On Nov 27, 2014
‎RIVERS State Governor, Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, has scrapped the discriminatory tuition payment structure against non-indigenes in the state-owned Rivers State University of Science and Technology (RSUST).‎
The governor, who made the payment reversal when he visited the institution, directed that henceforth, students of the university would pay the same amount for tuition whether they are indigenes of Rivers State or not.
He said: “Anybody in Rivers State University of Science and Technology is an indigene. All of us are Nigerians, so there should be no any form of discrimination in fees payment.”
The governor, therefore, directed the Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Mr. George Feyii, to prepare a letter to the state university to effect the reversal immediately, adding: “The reason why I made that statement and I am going to back it up with a letter is that we are all Nigerians. So, from today, no more discrimination in school fees.”

Amaechi, who was in the school to sensitise students for the Permanent Voters Cards’ (PVCs) collection and fresh voters registration exercise, enjoined the school authority to allow students register for their courses and pay later for those whose fees are not readily available at the time of registration in order not to deprive them of studying with their classmates.
He said: “My personal view is that because of the current economic situation, any student who has money to pay (for school fees), let him pay. The ones that don’t have money yet, let them register, and during examinations, you collect your money. The reason is that 60 to 70 per cent of the students are from very poor backgrounds.”
He also called on the school management to grant freedom to the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to exercise their democratic rights in the university.
“Allow ASUU, let the lecturers form their union. I will direct the Commissioner for Education to write to the university to allow the lecturers congregate and form their union. The law allows them to do so. That is democracy”, Amaechi noted.
The governor, who also used the opportunity to appeal to the students to be part of INEC’s forthcoming Permanent Voters’ Cards (PVCs) collection and fresh voters registration exercise to enable them exercise their civic right in next year’s elections, said: “I am aware that from Friday, we would start collecting what they call the permanent voter’s cards. I am aware that after the collection of permanent voter’s cards, they would start fresh registration of voters. That’s part of what brought me (to your university).”
The Vice Chancellor of the university, Prof. Barene Fakae, expressed delight about the reversal and described the governor as one of the country’s foremost ICT promoters.

Source:
http://theguardianmobile.com/readNewsItem1.php?nid=37078
Re: Amaechi: No More Discrimination Btw Indigene & Non Indigene Tuition Fee In RSUST by Ezedon(m): 3:49pm On Nov 27, 2014
campaign, but its too late
Re: Amaechi: No More Discrimination Btw Indigene & Non Indigene Tuition Fee In RSUST by chuka22n: 4:31pm On Nov 27, 2014
Amaechi should stop deceiving himself. Tuition fees of non indigens in RSUST was increased by over 150% 4 d past 2 years. He neva intervened(like he was'nt aware). Now he is intervening because of d forthcoming Election. Amaechi! God is watching u!

(1) (Reply)

Nanny Who Battered 18mths Baby Explains The Cause, Pleads For Forgiveness / Christopher Kolade: Jonathan Not A Good Leader / 2015 Election: INEC Conducts Mock Voting Exercise – CDD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.