Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,912 members, 7,828,193 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

After Graduation, What Next? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / After Graduation, What Next? (4100 Views)

8 Important Things To Really Know About Life After Graduation / 40% Of U.K Graduates Without Graduate Jobs 2 Years After Graduation! / What's The Next Step After Graduation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

After Graduation, What Next? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Nov 28, 2014
[b]YO, What's up people, this dude typing this needs a little orientation. uh, i'm a uniben student, i just finished my 100level exams and i'm in 200level now, technically speaking(who asked me?embarassed). well well that aside. Today, some final year students graduated(actually they just wrote their final exams, that's equal to graduating aii? well fvck it, lets move on) and we had lots of fun pouring water and every stuff on them, i mean every stuffundecided you know how we do itwink. After we had all the fun and all that shii, i looked at them and what came to my mind was: now they have graduated, what next? yea i know all that brouhaha about NYSC, getting a job, masters degree and all that, but some graduates don't do no NYSC or masters degree when they graduate, some don't even convocate immediately so it seems like there aint no sequence involved, it seems like there is no arrangement, no policy and i think there ought to be a policy. So people tell me, what's it supposed to be? what do graduates do when they graduate? What sequence is it supposed to be in? What should i expect when i graduate?

Your comments are very important.[/b]
Re: After Graduation, What Next? by jazinogold(m): 3:28pm On Nov 28, 2014
viewing...........would comment wen i finish eating this okpa n sardine!
Re: After Graduation, What Next? by Karleb(m): 5:08pm On Nov 28, 2014
1. NYSC; if you are not up to 30yrs of age.

2. Job search.

2. 2nd degree.

Re: After Graduation, What Next? by destino24(m): 5:14pm On Nov 28, 2014
embarassed
Re: After Graduation, What Next? by Nobody: 11:49pm On Nov 28, 2014
jazinogold:
viewing...........would comment wen i finish eating this okpa n sardine!
Hey boss jazino, wadup

1 Like

Re: After Graduation, What Next? by kalimera101: 2:47pm On Nov 30, 2014
Karleb:
1. NYSC; if you are not up to 30yrs of age.

2. Job search.

2. 2nd degree.

All these seem boring to me.
Feels like a planned out robot routine.
Not saying it's a bad idea though.
Re: After Graduation, What Next? by Karleb(m): 3:08pm On Nov 30, 2014
kalimera101:

All these seem boring to me.
Feels like a planned out robot routine.
Not saying it's a bad idea though.

cheesy

So, what would you call "exciting" ?
Re: After Graduation, What Next? by kalimera101: 3:41pm On Nov 30, 2014
Karleb:

cheesy

So, what would you call "exciting" ?

Yeah. That's the funny thing. I have absolutely no idea. But I think it's relative.
Re: After Graduation, What Next? by Karleb(m): 3:48pm On Nov 30, 2014
kalimera101:

Yeah. That's the funny thing. I have absolutely no idea. But I think it's relative.

Now you are talking.

As for me, I think I find the NYSC thingy quite exciting. wink
Re: After Graduation, What Next? by Acegoals: 4:44pm On Nov 30, 2014
Very nice question sylvalord.

But the very answer lies in what you are actually doing now while in school and its a good thing that you're asking the question very early. Thank God for you. My younger sister is in Uniben too and she's got her last 2nd year paper coming through next week.

Do not bother yourself with whether it will be boring or not or what will happen. The question I would ask now is "What are you doing now as an undergraduate?" Because what you do now determines your course after school and you may not even need to search for jobs and you'll just get the best that people are struggling for. Below is an article I wrote and I wish you read it and pass it on to your colleagues or friends also in school. I've saved you the time of clicking on a link. But here's the article and the link you can share...

PLEASE READ

Undergraduates whilst in school have many opportunities to build up themselves for the imminent future and life they are to face after school. Many have it come easy while some undergo life situations to make it out in colours and become successful thereafter. But there are some activities in school that are beneficial to undergraduates and will help them in their career after school. These activities are some I wished I had done myself but nevertheless, I’ll list them so that you reading this may start off or tell someone you know in school to begin right away.

Volunteering/Internship:
This is a sure career booster! Many undergraduates leave school with a heap load of experience up their sleeves and this puts them on edge with an advantage because they can either launch fully into their career either as an experienced personnel or graduate trainee. You can intern or volunteer during summer break. This could be for free since you’re getting quality hands-on experience of what you’re learning in school and believe me most companies will not reject your application for a free internship or volunteering.

Freelancing:
Okay, so you don’t want to give your services for free? Then freelance! Freelancing is one of the best ways of having a portfolio of your projects for clients. This is a sure career shaper for undergraduates that they may not even need to look for job after school. What can you do? Do you have skills that you think you can sell to clients for a token? Then market yourself and be a freelancer today. You can even go online with it.

Forming Partnerships:
This is one thing I did not wake up to on time while in school. Most young successful businesses today started from university partnerships(Facebook, Jobberman). And it is one of the best ways of getting it right even after school because you may have been friends or colleagues with your partners before graduation and there is more trust. Forming partnerships may not necessarily be formal. It may start from study groups, classmates, fellowship friends etc. When the time is ripe and you know there is an idea of a business that can solve a problem, sourcing capital will be easy and you can garner motivation and courage for a start-up.

Capacity Building:
Build yourself! One of the reasons why some recent graduates (without any experience) have excellent resumes is because they built themselves by trainings, seminars, conferences etc. while in school and through that they developed skills that are pertinent for their career in the immediate future. This likewise gives confidence build up and prepares you for life after school.

Networking:
Your network determines your net worth! Don’t just go through the school from the front gate and come out via the back gate. Meet people! Make the best use of every opportunity you have to get contacts and make friends. From there, partnerships can be formed and the balls can be set rolling. Mingle amongst people of intelligent and like minds and you’ll see your network grow and eventually determining your net worth. Connect on social media, get into the buzz of things and events, involve in meaningful discussions in class, online forums etc.

So, that’s it. Oh! Were you expecting more? I said five and five it shall be my dear (refer to the title and read very s l o w l y . . .) Until next time. Always remember that no one will be held responsible for your successes or failures except you and…

[size=16pt]Never Respect Your Challenges[/size] (Germany never respected world cup host (Brazil). They went out for the goal and smashed the prize)

http://www.acegoals.com/5-activities-undergraduates-need-engage-school/
Re: After Graduation, What Next? by kalimera101: 9:32pm On Nov 30, 2014
Karleb:

Now you are talking.

As for me, I think I find the NYSC thingy quite exciting. wink

That's why I said "to me"
Re: After Graduation, What Next? by Karleb(m): 9:36pm On Nov 30, 2014
kalimera101:

That's why I said "to me"

Yeah, I understand you perfectly well. I was just airing my opinion.

(1) (Reply)

About Nigeria Institute Of Safety Professionals Courses And Trainings / How Can I Download Movies With My Tecno T430 Phone / Learn, Start Trading Cryptocurrencies On Binance Exchange

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.