Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,464 members, 7,843,423 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

Second-In-Command Of The Military - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Second-In-Command Of The Military (1952 Views)

Buhari Has Indirectly Made Fashola His Second In Command / Obasanjo Is An Embarrassment To The Military - Nigeria Defence HQ / T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Second-In-Command Of The Military by Nobody: 1:48am On Nov 29, 2014
In the United States, the President is obviously the Commander-in-chief, and the Secretary of Defense is the 2nd-in-command.

In Nigeria, is the Vice President or the Minister of Defense, the second-in-command?
Re: Second-In-Command Of The Military by Nobody: 2:06am On Nov 29, 2014
CFCfan:
In the United States, the President is obviously the Commander-in-chief, and the Secretary of Defense is the 2nd-in-command.

In Nigeria, is the Vice President or the Minister of Defense, the second-in-command?

Re: Second-In-Command Of The Military by nuclearboy(m): 5:36am On Nov 29, 2014
CFCfan:

So, in your mind, the Secretary of Defense seniors the Vice President of the United States?

Wonderful

I guess the IGP is then Nigeria's 2IC
Re: Second-In-Command Of The Military by tit(f): 5:41am On Nov 29, 2014
the secretary of state is the highest cabinet appointee.
1) US president
2) vice president and leader of the US senate
3) speaker

correct me, if i am right.
Re: Second-In-Command Of The Military by Nobody: 5:44am On Nov 29, 2014
nuclearboy:

So, in your mind, the Secretary of Defense seniors the Vice President of the United States?

Wonderful

I guess the IGP is then Nigeria's 2IC
According to the Goldwater-Nichols Act of 1986, the US military chain of command runs from the:
President
\
Secretary of Defense
\
Combatant commanders (i.e CENTCOM, AFRICOM, SOCOM etc).

The Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs is by-passed, and therefore has no operational control over troops.
Re: Second-In-Command Of The Military by Nobody: 5:45am On Nov 29, 2014
tit:
the secretary of state is the highest cabinet appointee.
1) US president
2) vice president and leader of the US senate
3) speaker

correct me, if i am right.

You are right. The Secretary of State is 4th in line to succeed a President, after the VP, Speaker of the HOR, and President pro-tempore of the Senate.
Re: Second-In-Command Of The Military by Nobody: 8:22am On Nov 29, 2014
The president (or vice president only when in acting capacity)

The National security adviser

The Chief of defence staff
Re: Second-In-Command Of The Military by Nobody: 8:38am On Nov 29, 2014
BiHung:
The president (or vice president only when in acting capacity)

The National security adviser

The Chief of defence staff
So the Defense minister is bypassed.
Re: Second-In-Command Of The Military by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 29, 2014
Re: Second-In-Command Of The Military by Nobody: 9:36am On Nov 29, 2014
Interesting thread
Re: Second-In-Command Of The Military by Nobody: 9:49am On Nov 29, 2014
CFCfan:

So the Defense minister is bypassed.

Yes, the defence minister's role can be performed by the permanent secretary in the misitry of defense. What does that tell you? He is only an admisitrative authority supervising the funds going to the military...nothing else.

He has no role to play in terms of strategy and so on. NSA is above the defense minister because the NSA is the intelligence arm of Mr president...in short..the NSA helps Mr president to perform the function of Commander in Chief
Re: Second-In-Command Of The Military by Nobody: 9:53am On Nov 29, 2014
BiHung:

Yes, the defence minister's role can be performed by the permanent secretary in the misitry of defense. What does that tell you? He is only an admisitrative authority supervising the funds going to the military...nothing else.

He has no role to play on terms of strategy and so on. NSA is above the defense minister because the NSA is the intelligence arm of Mr president...
Hmm.I prefer the American system though. Here, the NSA is merely an adviser, but coordinates defense and foreign policy in the White House.
Re: Second-In-Command Of The Military by Nobody: 9:58am On Nov 29, 2014
CFCfan:

Hmm.I prefer the American system though. Here, the NSA is merely an adviser, but coordinates defense and foreign policy in the White House.

Its still similar as far as the NSA's role is concerned...but considering the weight of his advice... What position will you place him?
Re: Second-In-Command Of The Military by Nobody: 10:03am On Nov 29, 2014
BiHung:

Its still similar as far as the NSA's role is concerned...but considering the weight of his advice... What position will you place him?
In the overall US foreign policy framework, I would place the NSA just below the President, and above the Secretary of State. President Obama, like Bush, has really micromanaged foreign policy from the White House.

The NSA can offer advise on Defense issues, but he / she lacks the statutory powers to issue operational directives to the US military.
Re: Second-In-Command Of The Military by Nobody: 10:06am On Nov 29, 2014
CFCfan:

In the overall US foreign policy framework, I would place the NSA just below the President, and above the Secretary of State. President Obama, like Bush, has really micromanaged foreign policy from the White House.

The NSA can offer advise on Defense issues, but he / she lacks the statutory powers to issue operational directives to the US military.
Definitely.. Definitely...but in my opinion...
It isn't about who issues the operational directive... Rather...its about whose idea is being implemented. Its just my opinion though
Re: Second-In-Command Of The Military by Nobody: 10:08am On Nov 29, 2014
CFCfan:

I always thought the honour goes to the VP?
Re: Second-In-Command Of The Military by Nobody: 10:12am On Nov 29, 2014
Nobleval:
I always thought the honour goes to the VP?
Me too, until 2 years ago, when I stumbled upon the Goldwater-Nichols Act while I was doing an assignment.

The VP, just like the NSA, is merely an adviser to the President on foreign policy
Re: Second-In-Command Of The Military by Adminisher: 10:48am On Nov 29, 2014
CFCfan:

The Secretary of defence is not second in command.
Re: Second-In-Command Of The Military by Nobody: 10:54am On Nov 29, 2014
Adminisher:

The Secretary of defence is not second in command.
He is http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldwater–Nichols_Act
Re: Second-In-Command Of The Military by akinsadeez(m): 11:41am On Nov 29, 2014
This reminds me of the Arnold Morgan novel series by Patrick Robinson. That series explores all these questions about the chain of command of the US military. I remember one particular novel where the president and the secretary of state ignored warnings of a terrorist attack from the military chiefs and then the Chairman of the joint chiefs in consonance with the NSA and all other military chiefs actually removed the president and then orchestrated his quiet resignation. Very interesting series I tell you.
Re: Second-In-Command Of The Military by Nobody: 11:46am On Nov 29, 2014
akinsadeez:
This reminds me of the Arnold Morgan novel series by Patrick Robinson. That series explores all these questions about the chain of command of the US military. I remember one particular novel where the president and the secretary of state ignored warnings of a terrorist attack from the military chiefs and then the Chairman of the joint chiefs in consonance with the NSA and all other military chiefs actually removed the president and then orchestrated his quiet resignation. Very interesting series I tell you.
I'll try to get hold of that novel. It sounds interesting.

Anyway, it's also important to note that the four (or 5, if you include the Coast Guard) service chiefs in the US have no operational control over troops; ditto for the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs.

(1) (Reply)

2015: Mimiko Assures Jonathan Of Ondo Votes / SEE Striking Resemblance: Is Ibime Belema Goodluck Jonathan’s Illegitimate Son? / Buhari, Tinubu & Amaechi Meet John Kerry US Sec Of State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.