Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,310 members, 7,815,562 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

Jeep Movement Problem - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Jeep Movement Problem (2220 Views)

Modernised Hummer Jeep Spotted In Enugu / Accident Involving A Bus, Jeep And Keke At Falomo Round About (photos) / Jeep Vs SUV: What's The Difference? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jeep Movement Problem by erico2k2(m): 5:26am On Nov 29, 2014
Im trying to crack my head however if anyone has any suggestion Plz lay it out
This Jeep i n question is the Liberty 3.37 4x4 04,The problem with it is when you depress the gas pedal it pulls to the right as in the whole body jolts to the right and you wont notice it but as soon is you release pressure on the Gas pedal it sharply pulls back to the left.Im thinking it might be the front and Rear upper control Arm, what do you guys think? cos Im thinking of buying that parts here and fixing it when I get to PH.
Re: Jeep Movement Problem by sultaan(m): 5:32am On Nov 29, 2014
erico2k2:
Im trying to crack my head however if anyone has any suggestion Plz lay it out
This Jeep i n question is the Liberty 3.37 4x4 04,The problem with it is when you depress the gas pedal it pulls to the right as in the whole body jolts to the right and you wont notice it but as soon is you release pressure on the Gas pedal it sharply pulls back to the left.Im thinking it might be the front and Rear upper control Arm, what do you guys think? cos Im thinking of buying that parts here and fixing it when I get to PH.

Did a mechanic work on your car recently seems like it is out of alignment or tires are out of whack.
Re: Jeep Movement Problem by mayor2013: 6:02am On Nov 29, 2014
Alignment I guess. But check your tyres are ok first. Or do a tyre swap first and see if there is any change
Re: Jeep Movement Problem by AutosBay(m): 11:34am On Nov 29, 2014
Ok.. this is going to be either a bad/loose suspension component, bad motor and or transmission mounts or an alignment issue. Sometimes a bad tire can cause this condition, but it usually does not only cause this when accelerating. This is more an an alignment issue. IF the motor and or transmission mounts are loose, this will affect the drive line angle when accelerating which will cause it to pull like you are describing.
Re: Jeep Movement Problem by erico2k2(m): 11:36am On Nov 29, 2014
sultaan:

Did a mechanic work on your car recently seems like it is out of alignment or tires are out of whack.
No,no mechanic worked on it recently.
Re: Jeep Movement Problem by erico2k2(m): 11:37am On Nov 29, 2014
mayor2013:
Alignment I guess. But check your tyres are ok first. Or do a tyre swap first and see if there is any change
Done tyre swaop and Alignment same day still had same problems
Re: Jeep Movement Problem by erico2k2(m): 11:43am On Nov 29, 2014
AutosBay:
Ok.. this is going to be either a bad/loose suspension component, bad motor and or transmission mounts or an alignment issue. Sometimes a bad tire can cause this condition, but it usually does not only cause this when accelerating. This is more an an alignment issue. IF the motor and or transmission mounts are loose, this will affect the drive line angle when accelerating which will cause it to pull like you are describing.

I think it has to do with suspension component, hence I was thinking towards the upper control arm ball joint, the front has two and the rear has 3 and this vehicles uses the A style control arms. When not in motion you sometimes forget the Engine is On, this is how smooth this car thrives. Sad thing is Im not there at the moment, this is all feedback from the home. I hoping for more suggestion so I can buy the parts here and just hope there is a good ball joint press in PH.
Re: Jeep Movement Problem by Nobody: 3:18pm On Nov 29, 2014
Has it always done this and did you recently get the vehicle?
Re: Jeep Movement Problem by sultaan(m): 4:01pm On Nov 29, 2014
possibly tie rod ends but something must have changed to suddenly get that .If you replaced the tires or you truck was originally out of alignment and has worn a grove into the tires things will get bad when you rotate tires.

Look for PLANMAN video for suspension diagnosis on you tube. The idea is any loose component of the suspension will clunk when you turn the steering so you feel for vibration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii81V7XYr-k

they can try that and tell you if anything is wrong but its either someone went over a pot hole too fast and bent/broke something or tires are bad
Re: Jeep Movement Problem by erico2k2(m): 4:47pm On Nov 29, 2014
sultaan:
possibly tie rod ends but something must have changed to suddenly get that .If you replaced the tires or you truck was originally out of alignment and has worn a grove into the tires things will get bad when you rotate tires.

Look for PLANMAN video for suspension diagnosis on you tube. The idea is any loose component of the suspension will clunk when you turn the steering so you feel for vibration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii81V7XYr-k

they can try that and tell you if anything is wrong but its either someone went over a pot hole too fast and bent/broke something or tires are bad
Thanks Sultan, when I was last i n Nigeria, I tried that, turn steering to both xtreem end, it was nice and smooth,even when in motion the steering is smoonth,the movement is felt in teh chasis, my let down was not to remove the tyre and check for play within the uper and lower ball joints,
Re: Jeep Movement Problem by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:13am On Nov 30, 2014
sultaan:
but its either someone went over a pot hole too fast and bent/broke something or tires are bad

Op meditate on these words.
Re: Jeep Movement Problem by senator2k9(m): 9:31am On Nov 30, 2014
Pally, check ur Cambers...it might be d cause of ur problem. Simple test use ur leg or hand to push d tyre forward or backward, if its shaking den its bad. Jst a suggestion to troubleshoot. Try it !!
Re: Jeep Movement Problem by sultaan(m): 2:26pm On Nov 30, 2014
I must have made the wrong diagnosis I thought you meant the whole car swerves but jolt is usually caused by bad motor mounts

to confirm here is how to test ;
just get under if you see any crack in the rubber it is bad

it should look like in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd5oU5bx4Eg
Re: Jeep Movement Problem by erico2k2(m): 10:54pm On Nov 30, 2014
senator2k9:
Pally, check ur Cambers...it might be d cause of ur problem. Simple test use ur leg or hand to push d tyre forward or backward, if its shaking den its bad. Jst a suggestion to troubleshoot. Try it !!
Is cambers part of the car or rather position of the tyre?Im confused
Re: Jeep Movement Problem by erico2k2(m): 11:00pm On Nov 30, 2014
sultaan:
I must have made the wrong diagnosis I thought you meant the whole car swerves but jolt is usually caused by bad motor mounts

to confirm here is how to test ;
just get under if you see any crack in the rubber it is bad

it should look like in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd5oU5bx4Eg
Thaks again bro,Nah the Engine don't vibrate, a coin would sit perfect on the Air box,Let me try and be a bit clear,when in motion, the tyres are ok,the vehicle dont steer to the side which means the Alignments are OK, what it does is teh whole body shift to one side (right) due to propulsion hence i said the chassis moves and on de acceleration the returns to the correct position and you feel a shift to the left, ,the initial shift of the body to the right is not felt, its jst the return to the original position that is felt.What do you think if either the Bushings or ball joint in the foto bellow is bad, could it cause this problem?This is one of the Front Upper Control arm

Re: Jeep Movement Problem by sultaan(m): 3:00am On Dec 01, 2014
That should be for the rear.

you will have to get under there and look at all your ball joints and bushings.

I am currently going through something like that having a thud over bumps so I am starting with the cheaper items first at 15 years and 170k miles most suspension parts are worn.

They recommend you lift the truck up and prod for loose components
Re: Jeep Movement Problem by erico2k2(m): 5:47pm On Dec 01, 2014
sultaan:
That should be for the rear.

you will have to get under there and look at all your ball joints and bushings.

I am currently going through something like that having a thud over bumps so I am starting with the cheaper items first at 15 years and 170k miles most suspension parts are worn.

They recommend you lift the truck up and prod for loose components
No that the Front Upper control there is two of them,the pic bellow is the rear upper control and its just one,

Re: Jeep Movement Problem by erico2k2(m): 4:56pm On Jan 26, 2015
Update'I came back to Ph Jan first the problem had been solved
I bought two new rear lower control arms for the jeep.I found out the old ones had broken/cracked bushings which had clearance hence the sway in motion.I also took advantage of the time n oppurtunity to change complete tie rod inner n outer plus front susp n ball joints.Jeep is now smooth like hair greese grin n the wife v happy grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Innoson Presents Ivm G-12 Tactical Military Suvs To Nigerian Army! (photos) / 2015 Toyota Highlander Or 2015 Ford Edge, Please Help My Sister To Make A Choice / I Need A Good Air Flow Meter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.