Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,230 members, 7,811,636 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? (24545 Views)

Maduike Ezeibe Claims He Cures HIV/AIDS / 1 Million HIV-Positive People In Benue – govt / Video: I Cure Dozens Of HIV/AIDS Patients With Herbs - Gambian President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by ozo13(m): 5:07pm On Nov 30, 2014
lalasticlala:

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/why-hivand-aids-is-prevalent-in-lagos/

Latest Estimate of Lagos Population: 21 million (via Wikipedia)
Number of HIV/Aids patients in Lagos based on 5.1% prevalence rate from the article = 5.1% of 21 million = 1.071 Million shocked
no b small thing d day I do am.fear wan kill me

Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by Dreyl(m): 5:12pm On Nov 30, 2014
Nawa o
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by zubby29(m): 5:13pm On Nov 30, 2014
lovelyronke20:
people should oo..
hi
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by Jakeattah(m): 5:16pm On Nov 30, 2014
dridowu:
I think i need statistics for benue

u go shock
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by nora544: 5:16pm On Nov 30, 2014
It is very important that people know that they have HIV because when they start to take the drugs very early than they can live a normal life.
I hear this from a doctor in my country.

He also speak about that people forget about it, so they didnot protect themself. At the moment also in south africa HIV is growing.

the next is that with the fake pastors with their miracel healing the people have no fear because praying and fasting will help and they forget that only protection will help.
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by ANBAKO: 5:21pm On Nov 30, 2014
Even though I believe in protected sex or only one partner (I prefer the later), I strongly believe that the figures of HIV infected people being published in Nigeria is not real. I believe people, Government, NGO, health societies are just inflating these figure in order for the foreign aid associated to HIV to keep coming. Do you know how much foundations like Bill and Belinda Gate foundation, DFID, USAID etc donate to NGO and government to combat HIV? Of course the figure will keep increase in order to increase the funding.

How did they do the statistics?, where and when was data collated? Did ever state these? No. Because all the figures is just "permutation and combination".

Ask yourself a simple question how many people do you? and how many has HIV or died of HIV? How many of the people that you know someone with HIV? If yes how many do they know...How many poeple in your street died of HIV? How many in your school, church, office, Mosque is infected with HIV?My believe is that HIV infected people are less that 1 percent of the population. Take it or leave.

Protect yourself.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by chidooh1: 5:22pm On Nov 30, 2014
This figure doesn't bring discouragement to most people, since my primary school days i have been hearing frightful and outrageous figures just like this, but never being to any burial of an AIDS victim. Im not asking anybody to go out there and behave promiscuously.
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by crackhouse(m): 5:22pm On Nov 30, 2014
ellechrystal:
Na true o.. 5 out of hundred ke? Na 30 or 40 out of hundred o... this lag sef na wa. Too much bleeping..d commercial sex workers, call girls r too many.. runs boys who can't think of anything order than bleeping most of them get am.. olosho full everywhere. .
God help us.
Thank God am a virgin grin grin
oh! you are? I am too. Never knew i have virgin friends left.
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by crackhouse(m): 5:27pm On Nov 30, 2014
ellechrystal:
Na true o.. 5 out of hundred ke? Na 30 or 40 out of hundred o... this lag sef na wa. Too much bleeping..d commercial sex workers, call girls r too many.. runs boys who can't think of anything order than bleeping most of them get am.. olosho full everywhere. .
God help us.
Thank God am a virgin grin grin
oh! you are? I am too. Never knew i have virgin friends left. Thought i am the only one.
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by Hero10001: 5:29pm On Nov 30, 2014
Sophyrocks:
And people still have unprotected s.ex like there is no tomorrow. This HIV scourge will soon swallow us all like its swallowing the South africans because Nigerians no dey hear word.
End time stats.
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by Hero10001: 5:29pm On Nov 30, 2014
Sophyrocks:
And people still have unprotected s.ex like there is no tomorrow. This HIV scourge will soon swallow us all like its swallowing the South africans because Nigerians no dey hear word.
Chei HIV don swallow SA?!
I thank God say Idoti nor dey kill Nigerians..
Up Nigeria!!
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by starlingbawa(m): 5:33pm On Nov 30, 2014
Men that figure is just too scary for my liking!
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by Project400: 5:37pm On Nov 30, 2014
Abstinence is the best remedy.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Nov 30, 2014
Hero10001:

Chei HIV don swallow SA?!
I thank God say Idoti nor dey kill Nigerians..
Up Nigeria!!

Who tell you say idoti no dey kill Nigerians? Ebola wey enter here no kill anybody? You no dey hear how hiv dey kill some people for here? No o, make ebola make mistake enter again make i see wetin you go talk. This is not the era to shout that "Dirty no dey kill african man" o. That era don pass. Na sickness dey kill people now so beware.
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by born2boink(m): 5:47pm On Nov 30, 2014
Yepaaaaaaaaa. Hope they started testing all those prostitutes
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by 2muchopoTBdope(m): 5:48pm On Nov 30, 2014
dridowu:
I think i need statistics for benue

In Benue>>> the population dere is abt 2.5 million but abt 3 million pple...Anyway m on my way back to France.
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by Orikinla(m): 5:50pm On Nov 30, 2014
It could be true, because majority of the female secondary school leavers and undergraduates in tertiary institutions are now active commercial sex workers in Lagos state. Eye witness accounts confirm these sex kittens called 'olosho' or whatever are now call girls offering regular room service from N1, 000 per hour to N5, 000 for 10 hours stay and have sex in the house.
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by Toosure70: 5:57pm On Nov 30, 2014
Zip up and lock up
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by clevvermind(m): 6:03pm On Nov 30, 2014
Uchesis:

Dis dude go lyk fvcking a lot
grin
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by Daniel058(m): 6:09pm On Nov 30, 2014
Live a sex free life if you are still single and be faithful to your partner if you are married
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by SalC: 6:10pm On Nov 30, 2014
Am not surprised, it's likely higher than that. At our heart to heart centre alone, one will fret seeing the number of people who turn up on our clinic days. The number of carriers is increasing by the day and most times I think they intentionally keep the real statistic away from the public for some reasons. (Greed and selfish reasons).
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by femmy2010(m): 6:17pm On Nov 30, 2014
God have mercy
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by justmag(m): 6:29pm On Nov 30, 2014
If lagos is 1 million u better believe abuja is 3 million! It's d walking dead out there. Wrap it up or get wrapped up! undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by plendil: 6:34pm On Nov 30, 2014
ANBAKO:
Even though I believe in protected sex or only one partner (I prefer the later), I strongly believe that the figures of HIV infected people being published in Nigeria is not real. I believe people, Government, NGO, health societies are just inflating these figure in order for the foreign aid associated to HIV to keep coming. Do you know how much foundations like Bill and Belinda Gate foundation, DFID, USAID etc donate to NGO and government to combat HIV? Of course the figure will keep increase in order to increase the funding.

How did they do the statistics?, where and when was data collated? Did ever state these? No. Because all the figures is just "permutation and combination".

Ask yourself a simple question how many people do you? and how many has HIV or died of HIV? How many of the people that you know someone with HIV? If yes how many do they know...How many poeple in your street died of HIV? How many in your school, church, office, Mosque is infected with HIV?My believe is that HIV infected people are less that 1 percent of the population. Take it or leave.

Protect yourself.

Pardon me sir, your post is ridden with ignorance.

Funding for HIV?AIDS control programs, especially the PEPFAR-based (which arguably takes the largest share) has been on a steady decrease despite the fact that there's been more patients placed on medication in the past few years. The foreign donors have insisted that the Nigerian government take up more responsibility in the care of their patients. So the 'artificial inflation' of figures (if it exists) has no effect whatsoever.

The prevalence figures are obtained from a variety of sources such as general hospital attendance, anti-natal attendance, outreach testing programs (like the one usually held on Dec 1st, etc). Of course, not every single Nigerian has been tested; but through some complex epidemiological and statistical processes, we can get the current prevalence with a fairly accurate degree - close to 95% accuracy.

I doubt if you've ever taken a trip to the HIV clinic of any of the major teaching hospitals to see the crowd there. That could explain your rather naive belief.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by Glocal1: 6:45pm On Nov 30, 2014
My people, make u na hold body o, if u wan do, make u go marry n stay faithful. People still get diagnosed of hiv in d clinic on a daily basis, even teenagers. Abeg make we fight dis monster headlong for posterity sake.
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by clemzo101(m): 7:02pm On Nov 30, 2014
The reason why people still don't take HIV serious is because it doesn't kill fast as ebola, if to say HIV dey kill one week afta infection my brodas to straff sef go hard.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by F22RAPTOR(m): 7:07pm On Nov 30, 2014
lalasticlala:

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/why-hivand-aids-is-prevalent-in-lagos/

Latest Estimate of Lagos Population: 21 million (via Wikipedia)
Number of HIV/Aids patients in Lagos based on 5.1% prevalence rate from the article = 5.1% of 21 million = 1.071 Million shocked
Shit just got serious...what about PH City?
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by Glocal1: 7:07pm On Nov 30, 2014
continentalceo:
Nah for those way no fit tie their kinikon! We don marry nah!
the married couples make up a sizeable portion of d figure. I just wonder how dey contracted it, hmmm.
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by ANBAKO: 7:14pm On Nov 30, 2014
plendil:

Funding for HIV?AIDS control programs, especially the PEPFAR-based (which arguably takes the largest share) has been on a steady decrease despite the fact that there's been more patients placed on medication in the past few years. The foreign donors have insisted that the Nigerian government take up more responsibility in the care of their patients. So the 'artificial inflation' of figures (if it exists) has no effect whatsoever.

The prevalence figures are obtained from a variety of sources such as general hospital attendance, anti-natal attendance, outreach testing programs (like the one usually held on Dec 1st, etc). Of course, not every single Nigerian has been tested; but through some complex epidemiological and statistical processes, we can get the current prevalence with a fairly accurate degree - close to 95% accuracy.

I doubt if you've ever taken a trip to the HIV clinic of any of the major teaching hospitals to see the crowd there. That could explain your rather naive belief.

You are pardoned!!! And my post is not ridden with ignorance but facts, facts that are hard to swallow for people who believe in what is unreal. The funding is decreasing because Oyibo no dey fall mugu again. They know that these figures are "fabricated" using complex epidemiological process (your word). Why is funding coming again for Polio after it has almost been eradicated almost a decade ago? 'Because simple statistic shows it is coming up again (in Northern Nigeria). These donors know that our government is irresponsible per issues like these so they will not allow govt to spoil what they have started. They will never expect anything from government. There is no matter of complex epidemiological and statistical process that can convince me. It is my personal belief. Period!!
I have been to the HIV clinic in LUTH and it is not filled with HIV infected people but people coming for HIV test. You mean 1 million people go to HIV clinic for treatment and counseling in Lagos? where? which hospita? not even half of them, not even one-tenth......
Why dont you answer the simple question that was in my post? That is simple statistic and not your Complex epidemiological process that cannot show the simple way data was collected.

This is not a debate but my personal view, if you like fly with it, if not , you have your own mind.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by Hero10001: 7:58pm On Nov 30, 2014
Sophyrocks:

Who tell you say idoti no dey kill Nigerians? Ebola wey enter here no kill anybody? You no dey hear how hiv dey kill some people for here? No o, make ebola make mistake enter again make i see wetin you go talk. This is not the era to shout that "Dirty no dey kill african man" o. That era don pass. Na sickness dey kill people now so beware.
Noted.
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by pimplucious: 9:02pm On Nov 30, 2014
Thank God I've moved outta lagos. Dancing azonto cheesy
Re: Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? by kmariko: 9:35pm On Nov 30, 2014
plendil:

What is the p-value of this data if I may ask

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Flagyl And Tetracycline Are Not First Aid For Diarrhea – Aproko Doctor / Fitbit-Style Wristband: Gadget Could Help Couples Get Pregnant / The Wonders Of Black Palm Kernel Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.