Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,932 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

How To Trace A Water Leakage - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Trace A Water Leakage (1514 Views)

1999 Chevrolet Venture Fuel Consumption High And Power Steering Leakage. / Oil Leakage From My Gear Box. / Causes Of Engine Oil Leakage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Trace A Water Leakage by Emmysteve(m): 5:42am On Nov 30, 2014
Please help me, this problem has been persistent. I have to top water almost every time and i am getting tired already. I have traced every possible hole on the car but nothing. When ever i open the coolant, i would still see water on the surface then top it. I don't just know where exactly is leaking. Pls help. Thanks
Re: How To Trace A Water Leakage by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:58am On Nov 30, 2014
Emmysteve:
Please help me, this problem has been persistent. I have to top water almost every time and i am getting tired already. I have traced every possible hole on the car but nothing. When ever i open the coolant, i would still see water on the surface then top it. I don't just know where exactly is leaking. Pls help. Thanks

Patronise a modern auto repair shop, they will use a pressure tester to find the leak.
Re: How To Trace A Water Leakage by lonelydora: 7:59am On Nov 30, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Patronise a modern auto repair shop, they will use a pressure tester to find the leak.
Yea. But a pressure tester will increase the leak and open more places if the radiator is weak. So before you pressure test, make adequate arrangement for changing the radiator incase the leak is much.
Re: How To Trace A Water Leakage by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:07am On Nov 30, 2014
Emmysteve:

the question is how much do you top up

also even water on a non leaking system wouldnt be really full

is your coolant/water minimum/maximum markers on the expansion tank ? if so when you say top would be the water below minimum?
Re: How To Trace A Water Leakage by Emmysteve(m): 12:05pm On Nov 30, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

the question is how much do you top up

also even water on a non leaking system wouldnt be really full

is your coolant/water minimum/maximum markers on the expansion tank ? if so when you say top would be the water below minimum?
My coolant has been empty. As if its not connected or something. I have been using it like that since i bought the car
Re: How To Trace A Water Leakage by Emmysteve(m): 12:07pm On Nov 30, 2014
lonelydora:

Yea. But a pressure tester will increase the leak and open more places if the radiator is weak. So before you pressure test, make adequate arrangement for changing the radiator incase the leak is much.
pls how much is the radiator? So that I can decide whether to go for the pressure tester.
Re: How To Trace A Water Leakage by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:12pm On Nov 30, 2014
Emmysteve:
My coolant has been empty. As if its not connected or something. I have been using it like that since i bought the car

what make, model and year is your car and does it have an expansion tank ?

understand how it works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7inC4lOpGs
Re: How To Trace A Water Leakage by Export1: 1:40pm On Dec 01, 2014
Hi guys!

It might be interesting!

The best and most reliable way to find the point of water infiltration on any car is to hose the car down and see where the water comes in.
This process requires two individuals. One to hose the car down and the other to shut themselves inside the vehicle.
Person number two, inside the car, will contort themselves and peer under the dashboard to see if water is infiltrating via the cowl or windshield. They'll equip themselves with a flashlight and check the headliner at every point, crawl into the back seat, checking the door pillars and door seals, and then crawl into the hatchback area or fold the seats down and crawl into the trunk area.
Re: How To Trace A Water Leakage by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:19pm On Dec 01, 2014
Export1:
Hi guys!

It might be interesting!

The best and most reliable way to find the point of water infiltration on any car is to hose the car down and see where the water comes in.
This process requires two individuals. One to hose the car down and the other to shut themselves inside the vehicle.
Person number two, inside the car, will contort themselves and peer under the dashboard to see if water is infiltrating via the cowl or windshield. They'll equip themselves with a flashlight and check the headliner at every point, crawl into the back seat, checking the door pillars and door seals, and then crawl into the hatchback area or fold the seats down and crawl into the trunk area.

undecided shocked
Re: How To Trace A Water Leakage by Piyke: 6:35pm On Dec 01, 2014
Emmysteve:

Have you ruled out slack radiator and coolant reservoir covers?
Re: How To Trace A Water Leakage by benefitzte: 7:17am On Dec 02, 2014
Add coolant in ur reservoir to max mark then top up d radiator and observe what may happen next.
What is d make,engine size of ur car?

(1) (Reply)

Cars You would Recommend For A First Timer / You think you can drive? Try this. / Tesla Unveils New Electric Truck & Stuns The World With New Roadster2 Sports Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.