Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,848 members, 7,813,863 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:09 PM

Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon (26770 Views)

President Buhari Not Nigeria’s First Leader At Blair House - The FCT Post / Boko Haram: America Not Nigeria’s Friend, Says Gowon / Boko Haram: America Is Nigeria's Greatest Enemy Says Gowon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by igbokwesampson(m): 6:46am On Nov 30, 2014
A former Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon (retd.), has taken a swipe at the United States on its refusal to sell arms to Nigeria to fight the insurgency by the Islamic group, Boko Haram.
Gowon, in an interview withSUNDAY PUNCH, criticised the US for not selling military hardware to Nigeria, saying if the US was truly a diplomatic friend to Nigeria, it should do everything possible to keep the corporate existence of Nigeria.
This, according to him, includes assisting Nigeria to fight aggression from any quarter.
The US had on November 12, 2014, defended its refusal to sell cobra helicopters to Nigeria, saying the Federal Government was free to buy fighter jets from any other country.

The State Department’s spokeswoman, Jen Psaki, said, “Nigeria has purchased helicopters that originated in countries other than the US and nothing in our decision prevents Nigeria from obtaining weapons and equipment from other sources,”
Psaki had reacted to the allegation by the Nigerian Ambassador to the US, Prof. Adebowale Adefuye, that Washington declined to sell arms to Nigeria.

Adefuye had told members of the Council on Foreign Relations on November 10 that Washington was not doing enough to assist Nigeria in combating the Boko Haram insurgency in North-East geopolitical zone of the country.
He said, “The U.S. government has up till today refused to grant Nigeria’s request to purchase lethal equipment that would have brought down the terrorists within a short time on the basis of the allegations that Nigeria’s defence forces have been violating human rights of Boko Haram suspects when captured or arrested.
“We find it difficult to understand how and why, in spite of the U.S. presence in Nigeria, with their sophisticated military technology, Boko Haram should be expanding and becoming more deadly.”
But Psaki had stated that the US refused to sell the helicopters to Nigeria due to concerns about the ability of the military to use and maintain them.

Gowon, while speaking to one of our correspondents, however, alleged that the US did same to the Nigerian government during the Civil War, when it refused to sell fighter jets to Nigeria to stop Biafra’s bomber jets.
As the military Head of State, Gowon had prosecuted the Nigerian civil war, aka Biafran War, which began on July 6, 1967 and ended on January 15, 1970.

The war was declared after an attempted secession by the Eastern Region of the country, which declared itself the ‘Republic of Biafra.’
Gowon said, “The same thing happened during the Civil War. The Americas refused to sell arms to us. I wanted them to help me with some modest aircraft so that I could chase out Ojukwu’s (Col. Odumegwu Ojukwu) B52 or B56 as they called it. That was all I wanted; not to shoot it down but to chase it away so that it does not drop bombs and kill innocent people.
“But the Americans refused to help us and they even refused to sell arms and ammunitions and the spare parts of the equipment that we got from them. And at the same time, they (America) were shipping aircraft and loads of arms and ammunition to Zaire. What sort of friends are they?

“You call them your friends and they say that they are helping us to fight terror. We don’t want their people (Americans) to come and fight the war (against Boko Haram) for us but, at least, we need the equipment.
“During my time (as Head of State), I had to go to the Russians to get the equipment we wanted in order to prosecute that war. If they cannot help us, they should allow us to go elsewhere and get what we want to ensure that we deal with this particular problem.”
A former Military Governor of Kaduna State, Col. Abubakar Umar (retd.), corroborated Gowon, while decrying that Western allies, who were paying much attention to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria in the Middle East, “have decided to turn a blind eye to what is happening in Nigeria.”

He pointed out that Boko Haram is to Nigeria what ISIS is to the Middle East, saying they both threaten global peace and security.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs also backed Adefuye’s position on arms purchase from the US.

Source : http://www.punchng.com/news/boko-haram-america-not-nigerias-friend-says-gowon/

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by SeverusSnape(m): 6:51am On Nov 30, 2014
So the US is now "our greatest enemy" just because they refused to sell arms to us?, Is it only the US that sells weapons?, What happened to Israeli and Russian weapons?. The man is funny.

29 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by Nobody: 6:56am On Nov 30, 2014
Gowon talking shit since 1980

30 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by emmanuel4758(m): 7:01am On Nov 30, 2014
SeverusSnape:
So the US is now "our greatest enemy" just because they refused to sell arms to us?, Is it only the US that sells weapons?, What happened to Israeli and Russian weapons?. The man is funny.
nansense you never hear say usa stop isreal from selling arm to Nigeria at the dying minute ehh don't you hear America stop Belgium also don't you hear USA stop France also but Russia weapon are too costly and China weapon no too strong like that.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by Pangea: 7:03am On Nov 30, 2014
Some of these tact less statemen!
They just open their mouth spew shiits that will further alienate the country

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by SeverusSnape(m): 7:08am On Nov 30, 2014
emmanuel4758:
nansense you never hear say usa stop isreal from selling arm to Nigeria at the dying minute ehh don't you hear America stop Belgium also don't you hear USA stop France also but Russia weapon are too costly and China weapon no too strong like that.
You're so so wrong, who told you Russian weapons are "too costly "?...For your information, Russian weapons are cheap especially the Kalashnikov, American weapons are more hi-tech, so they're more expensive, and Who told you "china weapon no too strong".....Do you think their weapons are those phones you buy in the market?

67 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by Hadone(m): 7:09am On Nov 30, 2014
WE'RE ALWAYS GOOD AT POINTING ACCUSATION FINGERS TO THE USA. THEY'RE ONLY AFRAID OF INDIRECTLY SELLING THE ARMS TO THE BOKOHARAM IN THE NAME OF NIGERIA. YOU ALL SEE WHAT IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING. MY FRIEND IN YOLA WAS TELLING ME HOW THE MASSES ASSEMBLED IN STREETS OF YOLA MONTHS BACK CLAPPING WITH FULL HOPE FOR SOLDIERS AS THEY CONVEY HEAVY LOADS OF ARMS TO MUBI MEANT FOR FIGHTING INSURGENTS. HE CALLED ME AND SAY 'I ASSURE U BH WILL BE HISTORY IN ONE WEEK' BUT GUESS WHAT? SAME GUY CALLED BACK AFTER EXACTLY A WEEK CRYING AND TELLING ME THAT BH HAS CAPTURED MUBI, & THAT SOLDIERS WERE ARRIVING YOLA BARE FOOTED WITH SHORTNICKERS AS THEY ALL THREW THEIR UNIFORMS. I ASKED HIM ABOUT THE HEAVY WEAPONS TAKEN THEIR AND HE BURSTED INTO TEARS AGAIN TELLING ME THAT THEY ARE IN THE HANDS OF BOKOHARAM AS EVEN THE BARRACKS WHERE THEY WERE KEPT IS UNDER BH CONTROL. WHOSE NEGLIGENCE, AMERICA?

90 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by Nobody: 7:19am On Nov 30, 2014
Didn't Gowon rule Nigeria for atleast more than six years, it's enough time to make ur country produce weapon for themselves and not begging begging ...oh I forget he was busy fighting his igbo enemesis

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by juman(m): 7:29am On Nov 30, 2014
In the voice of barack obama "God bless United States of America".

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by juman(m): 7:32am On Nov 30, 2014
Toaskarity:
Didn't Gowon rule Nigeria for atleast more than six years, it's enough time to make ur country produce weapon for themselves and not begging begging ...oh I forget he was busy fighting his igbo enemesis

You are right.

Gen. gowon and other clueless nigerian leaders are too useless to know that they needed to build a functioning country that will be able to build weapons.

What a failed nation!

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by donmalcolm21(m): 7:45am On Nov 30, 2014
The Nigeria you fought to remain one is being taken over by BH, Gowon one day you will be a refugee in iboland because of BH in collaboration with their Northern islamist will sack your hometown

4 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by rabimlomo: 7:46am On Nov 30, 2014
Why should they when those weapons will eventually end up in the hands of boko haram.

13 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by Nobody: 7:49am On Nov 30, 2014
Social media has given lots of people opportunity to spew rubbish out their ignorant minds. Gowon is not a kid and as such should be respected as a former head of states and an elder statesman. He has first hand information on security matters. Please don't discard his comments but lets look deeper and be constructive in our reasoning. America does not have d interest of nigeria in their policy. Thanks.

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by PassingShot(m): 7:52am On Nov 30, 2014
Unintelligent comments from Gowon.

4 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by just9Girian: 7:55am On Nov 30, 2014
Sometimes it beat my imagination the reason for Americans hard handedness with issue concerning Nigerians, I remembeer when the same America refused Nigeria's plea for the Ebola. Experimental drug siting flimpsy excuses only to send it to Liberia a fellow African Country, guess they are not happy for our near outright independence

16 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by lilflipnerd: 8:01am On Nov 30, 2014
Rivalry is For those in same league...
How Bristol City go talk say Manchester City na their Rival

5 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by kettykin: 8:02am On Nov 30, 2014
If America is your enemy then who is your friend? Russia if I may guess, the same Russia that bungled Ajaokuta steel mill (nigerian steal mill), same Russia that is causing civil war in Ukraine.

America wants Nigerians to use their brains, Nigeria's problem would have been solved in the bus if supply of arms was the solution.
notice it is the same gowon that refused to honour and keep a simple agreement like the Aburi Accord that would have prevented militancy,mass killing , terrorism, civil war

20 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by Crocz(m): 8:07am On Nov 30, 2014
Once again, it's all down to Biafra!

"I wanted them to help me with some
modest aircraft so that I could chase out
Ojukwu’s (Col. Odumegwu Ojukwu) B52 or
B56 as they called it. That was all I wanted; not
to shoot it down but to chase it away so that it
does not drop bombs and kill INNOCENT people"

Hmmm...Boko Haram don dey tey tey, Nigerians no know....servants of Lucifer! Burn in hell!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by Crocz(m): 8:22am On Nov 30, 2014
Truth be told...America aint gonna help, they've got their own agenda...the aids they give is just a charade and when BH turn ISIL (God forbid), you'll see them running down here with their heavy artillery, gun blazing, and they turn Nigeria into Afghanistan

And the proceeds of war goes to?...it's ur guess

3 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by Timothy3113(m): 8:23am On Nov 30, 2014
emmanuel4758:
bro hop say u no be jona younga bro, how u tak sabi all dis
Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by drkay003: 8:26am On Nov 30, 2014

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by cocoduck: 8:49am On Nov 30, 2014
Mother Biafra Here we come, Your children are here

6 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by MisterLongman(m): 8:50am On Nov 30, 2014
Crocz:
Truth be told...America aint gonna help, they've got their own agenda...the aids they give is just a charade and when BH turn ISIL (God forbid), you'll see them running down here with their heavy artillery, gun blazing, and they turn Nigeria into Afghanistan

And the proceeds of war goes to?...it's ur guess
They are probably waiting for it to get out of hand and the FG finally calls for their help. They won't hesitate to setup their bases here......
The US government don't venture into something that won't profit them, whether directly or indirectly

8 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by egift(m): 9:07am On Nov 30, 2014
This Cluelessness is becoming contagiously communicable. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by major466(m): 9:16am On Nov 30, 2014
It's an established fact that the US are chronic hypocrites. They play double agents. Pretend to help Nigeria on one hand but wish boko haram save journey on the other. America that pledged to prosecute war against terror all over the world giving silly excuses about why they refuse to sell arms to us.
The US should grow some balls and tell us clearly to our faces that they hate us and will not do anything to help us fight boko harm. That instead, they hope boko haram succeed to make their prophecy of doom on Nigeria come to pass in 2015.

7 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by Crocz(m): 9:25am On Nov 30, 2014
MisterLongman:

They are probably waiting for it to get out of hand and the FG finally calls for their help. They won't hesitate to setup their bases here......
The US government don't venture into something that won't profit them, whether directly or indirectly

And I don't blame them...it's cos we have a clueless leader who can't handle his own sh*t...if America don't wanna sell, then you trade something else with them...something they cannot pass up and if not, Vladimir Putin will be glad to f*ck 'em over...so it's a question of what Russian wants in exchange

If America aint selling, no one's gonna sell to us except Russia, China and North Korea...Putin is a very rational man but Kim isn't!

3 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by major466(m): 9:27am On Nov 30, 2014
kettykin:
If America is your enemy then who is your friend? Russia if I may guess, the same Russia that bungled Ajaokuta steel mill (nigerian steal mill), same Russia that is causing civil war in Ukraine.
Who told you Russia is responsible for the crisis in Ukraine? CNN? Why don't you travel to Ukraine and get first hand information on what is really playing out there.

11 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by major466(m): 9:35am On Nov 30, 2014
Crocz:

And I don't blame them...it's cos we have a clueless leader who can't handle his own sh*t...if America don't wanna sell, then you trade something else with them...something they cannot pass up and if not, Vladimir Putin will be glad to f*ck 'em over...so it's a question of what Russian wants in exchange

If America aint selling, no one's gonna sell to us except Russia, China and North Korea...Putin is a very rational man but Kim isn't!
Do you now see why the crisis in Ukraine is a roos to paint Russia black to the world? Nigeria turned to Russia but the conflict in Ukraine made things difficult no thanks to sanctions and international blockade against Russia led by the US and it's allies.

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by Crocz(m): 9:44am On Nov 30, 2014
major466:

Do you now see why the crisis in Ukraine is a roos to paint Russia black to the world? Nigeria turned to Russia but the conflict in Ukraine made things difficult no thanks to sanctions and international blockade against Russia led by the US and it's allies.

Yeah...so now we are left with lunatic Kim's arms and China's china product..great!...when the options you have are not worth considering, are they really options?

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by Crocz(m): 9:50am On Nov 30, 2014
cocoduck:
Mother Biafra Here we come, Your children are here

I pity your soul...advocating for a lost course you may never live to see...Ojukwu tried, he failed..you know why?..not because he didn't have the resources like people were lead to belief, he had more than the Nigerian government...his army were stronger (with juju too) but he failed. And again he would have failed had he tried even with Hitler size army.

"This marriage was made in heaven and God stamp the pact"

Either we make it work or we all perish!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by fr3do(m): 9:59am On Nov 30, 2014
America's reason for not selling weapons to us due to human right issues is just flawed, because human rights are to protect people, and the insurgents we seek these weapons to use on are depriving people of their fundamental human rights to life and freedom of worship. And besides one doesnt need a cobra helicopter or heavy artillery to commit human right abuses against armless civillians, a 'rusty' AK47 (as a yeye foreign journalist describe a policeman's gun) will do.

America is not our friend just like our yeye leaders who have not looked beyond looting us and the self-haters who are not believers in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: America Is not Nigeria's friend - Gowon by dein77(m): 10:03am On Nov 30, 2014
Can't we build ours? Just asking.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Who Will Oyo Elect As Its New Governor? / Fayose: Bullion Van Driver Confesses As Zenith Denies Sponsoring Campaign / Emeka Ihedioha Arrives London For Grand Reception Organised For Him. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.