Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,545 members, 7,827,039 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:27 AM

Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What (3592 Views)

BUA Sabotaging Economy For Excessive Profit—fg / Forex Curbs: CBN Moves To Ease Importers' Plight / Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by dasanchez1(m): 7:55pm On Dec 02, 2014
phantonce:

I dn beg na.
in phyno's voice " onwebeghi Ihe ifu" lollll....
Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by Eghosa1(m): 8:07pm On Dec 02, 2014
phantonce:
I've never for once like importation as I believe it is a cheap means of getting out of poverty and is meant for lazy people.
Am a manufacturer and I also like consuming locally made product.
Even though manufacturing in nigeria is strenuous,the joy of having what is yours supercedes everything and not to talk about the gain which is massive.

I don't think I need to reply this anymore. Its shallow thought and the poster acknowledged.

macklef:
Mehn am fecking tired of this country.
My ogas in the house, mastercee, ymodulus, mayorall, kennyman20 and all.
I can remember that artist name but i remember that chorus. It was like this,
''Shey na like this wr go dey dey, na like this we go dey dey?"
I think i shot myself with my last deal, for the first time, i feel like returning my clients money.
I know we all are feeling the heat of this year end economic crises but mehn is there any way to mitigate it?
I collected a deal based on my calculation of 8usd/kg+ 480 normal charge, only for me to get an alert that
Shipping charges are up, i bused kennyman20, bro with his inspirational words told me to just bear the hike n leave my client outa it. I obliged cos i knew it was a thoughtful course.
Guys, dollar was 177 on the said date, now the useless naira has gone up to 183.
With their stupid 100,000 cash limit policy on atms i have to withdraw 3rice. Within this time
I was to remit over 15000rmb, only to be told 1yaun is now 30naira. Over 20k is lost to exchange rate.
Abeg which way forward na. Must i bear this one too because am a good boy? Guys please, advice me.
Some of the money has already been sent n sellers been part payed but how do i offset thus over 20k deficit.
What kinda stupid country is this?
Amefrica, can i come n share room with u there? I wanna school in canada too, i dont mind d cold abeg.

[b]Buddy, do calm down. Being an importer in Nigeria has its twist and turns and coping with a weak domestic currency is one. Business has its deficcits always and this scenario is just part of lessons one could learn.

Moving on, you must understand you're not alone in this current quagmire and thus must proceed to think it through. Importers operating in countries [Not just oil hit ones] with weak domestic currencies are feeling pinched now more than any time in recent memory.

A few solutions You [We all] could employ is by asking your suppliers to reduce prices on the said products. Discuss with them and relay the situation you're facing. Nurture relationships and ensure you have a supplier that takes care of you.

Also, we all know our weak currency value at the moment already tends to make imports more expensive for us all clearly but do we all know that some products don't need to even be shipped. For Example, Why ship a power bank when you can get from Mayorall at a fantastic rate?

Regardless of the dollar’s exchange rate at the moment, applying business sense to every deal is crucial. Profitability for a business is not the major thing always but make your customers glad [with delivery and all] and things would fall in line. You must bear it in mind that if your products simply won’t sell at a higher price point on arrival, look inward. Mayorall, TYConcepts, amongst others have several products on ground that most are trying to get.

The issues with the currency can't make one "surrender" Buddy. It only calls for inventiveness for the process such that armed with strategies l, We won't need to always battle the negative effects of the naira and devaluation.
[/b]

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by fr3do(m): 8:10pm On Dec 02, 2014
mayorall:

You manufactured the phone/laptop you are typing with?.

Dem say importation nah for lazy people o.

cc : youngzedd maclef Desanchez1 daiv8d ymodulus kennyman20 initialize thespeciaone mcfynest 9free aminu20 additiv bashorundon surveycash toluxa1 bajugbajug tranxo Tyconcepts Eghosa1 tweentums tokpeh stevolinkon40 Mizmycoli texaco1 and other lazy people I didn't mention.

You go start from somewhere na, you guys though are satisfying Nigerians, but you are killing the economy, this will dissatisfy Nigerians on the long run.
Start importing capital goods that will be used for production, if you play your cards well you will make bigger amounts of money, employ Nigerians and help the economy. You can also start exporting.

1 Like

Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by macklef(m): 8:16pm On Dec 02, 2014
mayorall:
Yoruba market women will say "nkan ti aba ra lata". You sell what you buy. You purchase at high cost, you sell at higher cost. Exchange rate is a big excuse padi mi.

You are right but u no d ordinary Nigerian na, they always still want things cheap even tho heavenis falling down. Its my clients im concerned off, because its always my joy to help dem get their imports with the best price possible but this shii aint helping mehn.
Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by macklef(m): 8:17pm On Dec 02, 2014
Amefrica:

Oh man! It's really sad seeing our NGN devaluing at a fast rate. sad

Of course, you can come share room once you assure me you ain't a g*y haha. Just ready to get kicked in the a'ss by the cold.

Lol. I aiint gaaay jareh, am so straight all the rulers in Niger are beefing me, thats y dey using exchange rate to
Try tio bend me tongue
Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by Thespecialone(m): 8:17pm On Dec 02, 2014
fr3do:

You go start from somewhere na, you guys though are satisfying Nigerians, but you are killing the economy, this will dissatisfy Nigerians on the long run.
Start importing capital goods that will be used for production, if you play your cards well you will make bigger amounts of money, employ Nigerians and help the economy. You can also start exporting.
killing the economy? I beg to differ. The guys killing the economy are the folks who didn't manage funds from oil receipts which the price was high. Nigeria doesn't have good economies of scale for manufacturing certain goods. Even top economies outsource manufacturing of certain items. Let's stop deluding our selves that Nigeria will one day become a manufacturing giant like China.There are other areas of economic strength that we can focus on.
Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by macklef(m): 8:18pm On Dec 02, 2014
Cwaya:

Nna, You be biz man ooo, shocked shuuu !!

Anyway, u have to look for a way not to fall in to that deficit whatever.

Think outside naija box grin

GoodLuck

btw Amefrica, our guy cant fit be g**y, Allow him.... is an opportunity for him to get that his oyinbo babe wey he dey find grin

Lol. I swear all i need the babe for na permanent visa. Walahi.

1 Like

Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by macklef(m): 8:20pm On Dec 02, 2014
DRealGeesam:

Importation does not look as good as it used to be anymore.
Still on top the road stud matter here o.

No be lie bro o. Without a strong naira, importation will suck coz items have to come in in a price end users can deal with.
Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by macklef(m): 8:25pm On Dec 02, 2014
Thespecialone:
lol let me encourage you small. I did a deal and calculated based on $1/N172. Well, as at the time I started paying, it was $1/N183.
Returning to my clients to ask for extra money was not an option so I had to pay the deficit. As a business man, always have the "rainy day" fund for days like this. Going forward, I have stopped collecting payment in naira from certain categories of clients. It's dollar receipts only and they are happy too so I have effectively shielded myself from the impact of the rising naira rate. Everyone in my supply chain accepts dollars even down to my shippers so it's win win for all of us. It's one of those expensive lessons we have to learn.

Hmmmm, ive never really thought of the dollar ish, u have a dollar account then, thats if u dont meet physically with ur clients, how do u deal with that?
Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by Thespecialone(m): 8:29pm On Dec 02, 2014
macklef:

Hmmmm, ive never really thought of the dollar ish, u have a dollar account then, thats if u dont meet physically with ur clients, how do u deal with that?
You just have to be creative in times like this and think outside the box.

In every problem, lies the solution. Personally, I shielded myself via the following means, accept dollars, where it's not possible bench mark the dollar against prevailing naira rate and negotiate with your supplier for lower cost.

The hard cold truth is that for the time being, there's going to be a rise in cost of goods except you want to subsidise it for your clients and due to this crunch, the average person's purchasing power will reduce and people will be forced to focus on certain essentials but then it all depends on the category of clients you deal with.
Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by mayorall(m): 8:38pm On Dec 02, 2014
fr3do:

Well said. But will you provide the capital for that?. How much will you loan us. I will organise the group.

1 Like

Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by macklef(m): 8:40pm On Dec 02, 2014
Thespecialone:
You just have to be creative in times like this and think outside the box.

In every problem, lies the solution. Personally, I shielded myself via the following means, accept dollars, where it's not possible bench mark the dollar against prevailing naira rate and negotiate with your supplier for lower cost.

The hard cold truth is that for the time being, there's going to be a rise in cost of goods except you want to subsidise it for your clients and due to this crunch, the average person's purchasing power will reduce and people will be forced to focus on certain essentials but then it all depends on the category of clients you deal with.

Thanks much. Actually apart from some anoying shipping contigencies. This my first battle with d naira, i

guess as u said it just really need to formulate some modus operandis to hedge against this failings. Thanks.
Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by macklef(m): 8:43pm On Dec 02, 2014
mayorall:

Well said. But will you provide the capital for that?. How much will you loan us. I will organise the group.

Heheh, capital goods like nepa transformers for electricity , bulldozers and d likes for roads and tractors for

Agriculture. Thats what we need in d economy, i have like 20k for d group o smiley
Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by Thespecialone(m): 8:55pm On Dec 02, 2014
macklef:

Thanks much. Actually apart from some anoying shipping contigencies. This my first battle with d naira, i

guess as u said it just really need to formulate some modus operandis to hedge against this failings. Thanks.

Le Chatelier's principle states that if an external constraint such as change in temperature, pressure and concentration is imposed on a chemical system in equilibrium, the equilibrium position will shift so as to annul or neutralize the constraint.

I strongly believe this principle can apply to economics. It largely depends on the individuals concerned. grin
Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by macklef(m): 9:27pm On Dec 02, 2014
Thespecialone:

Le Chatelier's principle states that if an external constraint such as change in temperature, pressure and concentration is imposed on a chemical system in equilibrium, the equilibrium position will shift so as to annul or neutralize the constraint.

I strongly believe this principle can apply to economics. It largely depends on the individuals concerned. grin

Hahaha. I dey feel the principle die. So i guess u mean i have to anul or neutralize the constraint. Of course i will

I was just taking aback. I wunt say i made a mistake but the thing is, my honesty is the one drilling me, i already exhausted my bargain lifeline, because i even had my seller begging me for tip for his stress. Lol.

And d shii is that, all i bargined thats how i gave it to my client. I only was cool with my commision. I dont know if u get my drill.
Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by Eghosa1(m): 9:34pm On Dec 02, 2014
Thespecialone:

All these our genius Bini Men! *prostrates*
Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by Nobody: 10:59pm On Dec 02, 2014
macklef:

Lol. I aiint gaaay jareh, am so straight all the rulers in Niger are beefing me, thats y dey using exchange rate to
Try tio bend me tongue

Hahaha ok na..
Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by mistayeancah(m): 11:23pm On Dec 02, 2014
phantonce:

Very funny.

My Oga,I hail o o
Manufacturing of phone isn't rocket science has the the schematic diagram is readily available online that a computer engineering undergraduate could easily manufacture/assemble himself.

The raw material may not be easily available as they are all produced in china.

:-) :-) SMH grin
phantonce:

Very funny.

My Oga,I hail o o
Manufacturing of phone isn't rocket science has the the schematic diagram is readily available online that a computer engineering undergraduate could easily manufacture/assemble himself.

:-) :-) SMH
Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by mistayeancah(m): 11:23pm On Dec 02, 2014
phantonce:

Very funny.

My Oga,I hail o o

Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by Thespecialone(m): 7:49am On Dec 03, 2014
Eghosa1:

All these our genius Bini Men! *prostrates*

Me sef dey loyal ______0_ grin
Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by mindtricks: 12:15pm On Dec 03, 2014
mayorall:

You manufactured the phone/laptop you are typing with?.

Dem say importation nah for lazy people o.

cc : youngzedd maclef Desanchez1 daiv8d ymodulus kennyman20 initialize thespeciaone mcfynest 9free aminu20 additiv bashorundon surveycash toluxa1 bajugbajug tranxo Tyconcepts Eghosa1 tweentums tokpeh stevolinkon40 Mizmycoli texaco1 and other lazy people I didn't mention.

Wahala dey o!!!

1 Like

Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by initialize(m): 12:47pm On Dec 04, 2014
phantonce:
You guys should take it easy on me.
Maybe calling you lazy was too much cos no job is easy.
I am sorry.
let everybody stick to his thing.
I would open a thread someday in the nearest future about manufacturing and how and where to get components locally and international.

I came in late as at when you had modify your initial post an posted this apology.

Your sins are forgiven, go and sin no more.

If you call importers lazy, it means you haven't been to the Baggage Store at MMIA from 3pm to see what guyz are pulling... Not stop work, no weekends, no Night or Day.

You were less informed but I know u gerrit now.

***Since u get "Components Internationally" I don't think you're lazy. Are you? grin wink
Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by BizBloke(m): 6:48am On Dec 16, 2014
Thespecialone:

1. We are not lazy people. My fellow importers will agree with me that importation is HARD work. The kind of things we have achieved are not common place. We have helped create jobs directly and indirectly. The average importer is most likely awake when you are busy snoring because of research and other things that need to be done.

You think it's easy to source for products, get reliable sellers, pay, import and eventually deliver to the end user and still turn a profit?

2. You sound as though importation is a bad thing, no country is 100% self sustaining so is it a crime that we saw a need a decided to meet that need through our various businesses?

3. I really take exception to the fact that according to you, importation is a cheap way of getting out of poverty. This is an insult to hard working young men and women who was created jobs for themselves.

4. There is no Country that doesn't import and some Countries have better economies of scale than others. So is it our fault that Nigeria doesn't have good economies of scale?

5. If you were not among those who skipped classes in secondary school, I'm sure you would have learnt something called balance of trade in economics.

6. If you don't like importation as you claim please ensure that every product you use is strictly made in Nigeria.

7. Most of us started with zero and insome cases very little capital and have grown very big and you say we are lazy? If a thread was to be opened for importers to share their inspiring testimonies, you will be amazed at the feat they have achieved.

8. Young innovative people like ymodulus and the others in the importers hall of fame have come with ideas that has changed the financial outlook of many young Nigerians, what have you contributed? Zero!!!
May God forgive you.

Amen!
Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by Nivlin: 4:30pm On Dec 16, 2014
dasanchez1:
I have miss unselfish post like this
Team #indeed
Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by dasanchez1(m): 4:37pm On Dec 16, 2014
Nivlin:

Team #indeed

lollll...

In mayorall's voice " ididi" ...

Some words are like that...
Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by jaydee87(m): 12:17am On Dec 17, 2014
my broda am suppose to sympathize with you but I will say this first, if you follow the trend of dollar well u shud know that this period is like a peak period for dollar cos it always rise against the naira and I said in one post that it is not advise able to buy now cos of lost goods and delayed delivery even before the fight between the customs and nahco.
am sorry for your loss cos according to u this is the second time and my advice is u let the buyer know cos twenty k is not chicken change u know the goods you can get with that amount.. think u split the money with the buyer to reduce your lost.. one secret I use is wen I get order I place order and watch the dollar before paying and I will have calculated it to be 200#/$ for the buyer so at least that way i won't run at loss buying... my broda God will give u wisdom to tell your customer and pls Dont repeat same thing during easter. cos same thing is going to happen dollar rise so be warned.....
Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by maybrowne(m): 1:21am On Dec 17, 2014
Don't mind that guy jor, even Nigeria that's africa's largest producer of crude oil, export their crude oil to import petroleum, they can't refine it on their own and you come here to lash tongue on those who have found a way to better their lives, improve their standard nd are even teaching it to others. Show me a made in nigeria phone and i will throw away my smartphone right now, even america sef doesn't manufacture phones, dem dey import. You said you are a manufacturer, please what are u manufacturing maybe i can order from you. Lol
Re: Importers, Should We Just Surrender To Our Delapitating Economy For Now Or What by jaydee87(m): 9:18am On Dec 17, 2014
maybrowne:
Don't mind that guy jor, even Nigeria that's africa's largest producer of crude oil, export their crude oil to import petroleum, they can't refine it on their own and you come here to lash tongue on those who have found a way to better their lives, improve their standard nd are even teaching it to others. Show me a made in nigeria phone and i will throw away my smartphone right now, even america sef doesn't manufacture phones, dem dey import. You said you are a manufacturer, please what are u manufacturing maybe i can order from you. Lol
my broda I came across a phone made in Nigeria called Olsen, but will he buy it if I market it to him.. Dont mind him he forming patriot like say me no be Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

100% Practical Training In Fibre Cement Ceiling Board Production / How I Earns N5000 to N35000+ weekly and get paid directly to bank. #New / Are All These bank Charges Necessary?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.