Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,031 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:02 PM

Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced (17203 Views)

This Is Why You Should Use Red Bricks For Your (next) Building Projects. / Build With Red Bricks:hugely Affordable,impenetrable And Environmentallyfriendly / Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by Nobody: 9:21pm On Dec 02, 2014
[b]Rising cost of building houses has made it imperative for Nigeria to toe the footsteps of other developing nations such as Brazil, by utilizing its local building materials and technologies in meeting the housing needs of low- and mid-income earners, experts have observed.
They contend that the housing sector is approaching a critical state where the demand for housing cannot be met by the current efforts that lean heavily on imported materials.
Raymond Enenmoh, public relations officer, Nigeria Institute of Quantity Surveyors (NIQS), Lagos State chapter, in a paper he presented at the inaugural sitting of Lagos State tribunal on building collapse, stressed that the growing housing needs of low- and mid-income earners could be significantly met through the use of alternative building materials and methods, citing red bricks as viable alternative to sandcrete blocks.
In Nigeria, especially in urbanising
Lagos, a beehive of construction activity. Oxford Economics
reports that the growth of construction output in Nigeria is the highest in all of Africa. The Lekki corridor alone is the site of thousands of new upscale homes. But something is amiss, there is hardly a brick house in sight. Nearly all of the houses in Lagos, and in most of Nigeria, are built from concrete block.
A 2012 monograph estimates that 90% of physical infrastructure in Nigeria is built from concrete block.

The question to ask is – why? Brick has been available in Nigeria long before concrete block ever made its appearance; brick construction has been uncovered by archaeologists studying Nigeria’s proto-historic period, and brick was widely used during colonial times. As the walk through some of the worlds’ posh neighbourhoods shows, brick is not only acceptable in housing construction elsewhere in the world – it is actually preferred.
Outside of Nigeria, homes are built with red brick, and concrete block is used primarily as an industrial or commercial building material.
Brick is strong, durable, and aesthetically pleasing; it can be made from materials found widely across Nigeria. To add to the mystery of its lack of uptake in the market, it actually costs less to build with brick than with block.
Brick, as a lower-cost alternative to block for housing
construction, is interesting in Nigeria’s voracious housing market, where there is a need for an estimated 12 to 16 million new homes. Prospective buyers have repeatedly cited high cost of materials and out-of-reach home prices as the primary obstacle to home ownership in Nigeria.
Simply put, less costly building materials mean less costly home construction, leading to lower prices. Any solution that drives down the cost of housing will expand the market from the bottom, putting entry level homes into the reach of more first-time buyers.
There are two different types of brick available in Nigeria. The first type is the compressed laterite brick, which is manufactured by pressure on a type of red soil found in abundance across 80 percent of Nigeria. Laterite bricks may be produced on a small
scale, or even on-site, and require very little energy input in a nation where shortage of industrial energy is a major concern. The second type of brick is the baked clay brick, which is kiln-fired and requires greater investment and energy input.
To the homeowner, however, the cost difference between brick and block is substantial. It costs between 30 percent and 47 percent LESS to build with compressed laterite bricks than with blocks, according to a 2012 study from scholars at the University of
Agriculture, Makurdi, Benue State. Building with baked clay bricks costs 19 percent less, per square meter, than building with concrete blocks. This study included not only the cost of the materials, but also mortar and labour, in the calculation.
Considering that structural elements constitute about 50 percent of the material cost of a new home, using bricks instead of blocks to construct the walls results in significant overall cost savings to the home buyer.
Furthermore, bricks in Nigeria are made from
indigenous materials which support the local economy all the way up the supply chain; concrete blocks use cement as the major cost input, a material that is customarily expensive in Nigeria by world
standards and of which a large proportion is imported, mainly from China.
Despite all of these advantages – delivering technical durability,superior appearance, and better cost – brick is used in only about
10 percent of housing construction in Nigeria. Bricks provide serious room for market expansion, and the dearth of brick homes
is a dilemma. [/b]

1 Like

Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by holatin(m): 9:42pm On Dec 02, 2014
in one word sir ?

2 Likes

Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by mufutau55(m): 9:44pm On Dec 02, 2014
holatin:
in one word sir ?

Oga make you no rush am sir... The explanation still dey go. nah small small we take build house oh! No rush-rush business here.
Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by Nobody: 9:48pm On Dec 02, 2014
mufutau55:

Oga make you no rush am sir... The explanation still dey go. nah small small we take build house oh! No rush-rush business here.

lol
Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by danielblessing(m): 9:20am On Dec 03, 2014
@op since red brick will favour low/middle income learners,do you have any quotation for low cost housing projects that can be executed with red brick?
Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by Nobody: 7:06am On Dec 04, 2014
danielblessing:
@op since red brick will favour low/middle income learners,do you have any quotation for low cost housing projects that can be executed with red brick?

i don't have any quotation but if you are interested kindly forward me your designs and you will get one.

Regards,
Samuel
Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by 9free(m): 10:04am On Dec 04, 2014
Interesting.........
Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by Nobody: 3:36pm On Dec 10, 2014
9free:
Interesting.........

yes o, boss
Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by Nobody: 7:03am On Jan 01, 2015
Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by shinaboy: 10:04pm On Mar 08, 2015
Hi Mr. Segzy.
Please I have some questions.

Can one do foundation with bricks?

If you used bricks for this design of yours. What will the cost of the 3 bedroom be?

This 3 bedroom comprises of the following:

1.A standard living room(4.063 x4.030 metres)
2.An Anteroom(2.175 x2.411 metres)
3.A standard master bedroom with a standard wc/bath and wardrobe(4.314 x3.836 metrs)bath(1.3 x 3.6m)
4.A standard visitors wc(0.85 x 2.500 m)
5.A standard dining room(2.5 x3.706 m)
6.A standard kitchen with sit out at the back(2.8 x 3 m)
7.Two standard rooms with standard wcs/baths and wardrobes(3.6 x 3.6m)bath(1.2 x 2.4m)
8.An Entrance verander at the front.(1.2 x2.175 m)
9. A store(0.6 x 1.5m)
All rooms are cross ventilated.
Find model attached below
What a great oppourtunity as i am in lagos
Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by azan: 10:19am On Oct 19, 2015
Plz , can I have your mail or Number , my own mail is #azanjnr21@gmail.com , thanks
Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by Nobody: 7:03am On Oct 20, 2015
azan:
Plz , can I have your mail or Number , my own mail is #azanjnr21@gmail.com , thanks

Email: info@saelimited.com and samuelajoseengineers@gmail.com
Tel: +2347035596641 and +2348178706641
Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by Tequilah: 11:20am On Dec 23, 2015
So what is the cost of building a 3-bedroom bungalow for instance, with red clay bricks vs. the cost of building one with red clay laterite blocks? Can anyone give a comprehensive estimate here, using an already existing design? Answers, anyone? shocked
Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by Godspikin: 11:27am On Dec 23, 2015
We can supply and set for you. Call 07039027418 today.

Why red brick is the best for your next project.

* The best for our climate - Red bricks are thermally efficient reducing energy requirements, cool during warm weather and warm during cool weather.

* Cost effective production – Our red bricks are manufactured with only 10% cement to achieve 7MPa blocks after 14days of curing.

* Cost effective construction - No burning of blocks – cure for 14days during site clearance and laying foundations.

* Reduced labour costs – Interlocking blocks can be laid 3 times faster than cement blocks therefore less labour time per house and faster construction.

* Speed - When cured, the red bricks can be dry-stacked in the superstructure representing as much as a 30% saving in cost and time.

* Local Material – Our red bricks making machines hydraulically compress laterite mixed with very little cement into solid blocks.

* Local Delivery - Our machines are mobile for onsite bricks production and reducing costs on transportation.

https://www.nairaland.com/2818337/why-should-use-red-bricks

https://www.nairaland.com/2812399/red-brick-making-machine-sale

1 Like

Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by advertsincounti: 10:21am On Mar 20, 2016
Too good to believe that we can return back to the ancient way of building with bricks. Other developing countries are changing their communities with this technology. We have a sample in Nigeria making eco friendly and sustainable bricks and pavers from laterite visit www.starterhousing.com and if you are interested please call me on +353 86 3938179
Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by advertsincounti: 10:24am On Mar 20, 2016

1 Share

Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by Johnnyessence(m): 2:28pm On Mar 28, 2016
pls how many bricks will i use if i want to construct 2 rooms with each toilets with a big pen house in which its foundation will be constructed with 2 coach block till lintel stage?and pls state the cost also am planning to use brick in my upcoming project.pls need ur reply here thanks.
Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by Trexnemesis(m): 1:54pm On May 26, 2017
Can red bricks be used for church construction?
How are they sold and what is the average price per brick or per square metre?
Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by MrRitchie: 2:49am On Sep 26, 2017
I have a project I'd like to use red bricks for, it's. 2bdrm bungalow with a total building area of 141ft, pls kindly give me quotations for this project and where I can get the bricks, thanks
segzy14:

i don't have any quotation but if you are interested kindly forward me your designs and you will get one.

Regards,
Samuel
Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by MrRitchie: 7:43pm On Sep 29, 2017
I've sent the design to this email addresss amuelajoseengineers@gmail.com
Thanks
MrRitchie:
I have a project I'd like to use red bricks for, it's. 2bdrm bungalow with a total building area of 141ft, pls kindly give me quotations for this project and where I can get the bricks, thanks
Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by MrRitchie: 6:12pm On Oct 01, 2017
u haven't responded to my email sir!
MrRitchie:
I've sent the design to this email addresss amuelajoseengineers@gmail.com
Thanks
Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by Analyst01(m): 11:56pm On Jun 15, 2018
Get a comprehensive estimate for your building project.
Contact me on Frankitangltd@gmail.com

Re: Red Bricks Option: Cost Of Building And Time Reduced by GistFullGround: 7:49pm On Jun 27, 2020
advertsincounti:
Visit www.starterhousing.com

Whats the cost of 5000 Blocks?
Can you ship to Afuze, Owan East Local Government Area, Edo State?
Why is your website not functioning?[b]

(1) (Reply)

Day Of The Bulldozers: Lagos Landlords, Tenants Rendered Homeless Same Day / »»» Sold! 3 Bedroom Flat On A Plot Of Land In Port Harcourt @ N6M Net (Pics) ««« / 3 Bedroom Luxurious Fully Detached Bungalows At Happy Life Estate Wowe!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.