Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,961 members, 7,852,247 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:35 PM

Magnitude Of Damaturu Bomb Blasts Frightens Me – Mark - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Magnitude Of Damaturu Bomb Blasts Frightens Me – Mark (524 Views)

Graphic Photos From The Scene Of The Damaturu Bomb Blast This Morning / Police Recovers Undetonated IED From Yobe Scene Of Damaturu Bomb Attack (pic) / See The Gift Emir Of Damaturu Gave To President Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Magnitude Of Damaturu Bomb Blasts Frightens Me – Mark by aboy247: 8:50am On Dec 03, 2014
Source: .com.ng

Senate President, David Mark, on Tuesday said he was frightened by the magnitude of bomb blasts carried out by the dreaded Boko Haram sect on Monday and the bravery displayed by them in their desperate bid to capture Damaturu, the Yobe State capital.

Mark stated this while commenting on the motion brought by Senator Ahmed Lawan representing Yobe North in the red chamber on the unfortunate development.
He said that the dimension which the insurgency had taken was frightening even as he commended the military for successfully repelling the insurgents from taking over the Government House.

He said, “The insurgent are attacking us left, right, front and back in North East. But that of Monday was because they were able to get to the government house which gave it a new dimension.

“It has nothing to do with the state of emergency. The dimension that it took yesterday was really frightening. I was in touch with the governor for most of the time and we were all very worried. and because of the magnitude of what had happened in the last few days.

“We have bomb blasts in Kano, the attack in Borno, the bomb blast in Borno and the incidence that took place in Damaturu.”

Lawan had while relying on Order 43 of the Senate Standing Order said that the military took up the insurgents that attempted to capture Damaturu, the Yobe State capital even without the emergency rule in place.

He added that what mattered most was the determination of the military and not the name given before operations.

He said, “I spoke with you (Senate President) this morning (Monday) on the need for me on behalf of my colleagues from Yobe State to make a personal explanation on what happened in Damaturu, Yobe State capital.

“Mr. President, I will like to formally inform this senate that Damaturu was attacked by the insurgents from about 5:00 am on Monday and the military or the armed forces, battled the insurgents and controlled the situation.

“So many lives were lost but of this moment, we cannot determine the exact number for the dead and so many were also wounded and of course, psychologically, hundreds of thousands of Yobeians and even Nigerians are traumatized for that incident.

“I want to say this that a war is not won by the name of the operation; a war is won by the operators of the operation that operate in the theatre of war. Our Soldiers were determined to fight the insurgents, they fought very gallantly and exhibited valour and they did that because they have motivation not because there was any state of emergency existing.

”The significance of what happened in Damaturu should not be lost on us, I believe that we can win this war if we all come together, get the proper leadership, support the leadership across all the three tiers of government and across all the political parties.

“I believe that this war is winnable and I believe that if we do the right thing, we see the right result that we saw yesterday.”

Also commenting on the efforts of the military to tame the Boko Haram insurgents in the Damaturu attack, Senator Alkali Jajere representing Yobe South said Nigerian military tackle the insurgents with necessary supports.

He said, “There was an attempted attack on the government house, you know that the government house is situated at the center of the town and the trunk ‘A’ road, they attacked the gate and the soldiers at the gate have to engage them and repelled them.

“They tried to overrun the government house, but they didn’t succeed. Thank God, the governor was in Abuja, he came for his screening which he did yesterday.”

Meanwhile, the Senate has adjourned plenary till December 16, to enable members to attend their various parties’ primaries.
Re: Magnitude Of Damaturu Bomb Blasts Frightens Me – Mark by borntosave: 8:53am On Dec 03, 2014
cry
Re: Magnitude Of Damaturu Bomb Blasts Frightens Me – Mark by Bendyke(m): 9:33am On Dec 03, 2014
Gotten tired of dis news..... Boko boys no d slip again o na dia 72 virgins de dia mind.
Re: Magnitude Of Damaturu Bomb Blasts Frightens Me – Mark by Bendyke(m): 9:33am On Dec 03, 2014
Gotten tired of dis news..... Boko boys no d slip again o na dia 72 virgins de dia mind. Hell candidates !

(1) (Reply)

Two Brothers Battle Each Other Over One Political Slot / Breaking News - Kano PDP Primaries: Takia Wins Abacha’s Son! / Abacha, Indabawa Drag PDP To Court Over Takai’s Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.