Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,095 members, 7,818,284 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

The "Other" Side Of Dubai. (pictures Inside) - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The "Other" Side Of Dubai. (pictures Inside) (1296 Views)

Thousands Of Expensive Cars Are Left Abandoned In Dubai (pictures) / A Fan Of Former President Jonathan, Erected A Statue Of Him. PICTURES INSIDE. / Meanwhile In Dubai (shocking Pictures Of Dubai) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The "Other" Side Of Dubai. (pictures Inside) by Vikkie14: 1:46pm On Dec 04, 2014
Going to Dubai is something we all thinks of-shopping,working and its likes. But as we know, whatever has a "front" must have a "back". This article will show you the "other" side of Dubai.

An Iranian photographer has captured the desperate lives of South Asian labourers who travel to Dubai in the hope of building a future for their families - but find only squalor, low wages and backbreaking work in stifling heat.
Farhad Berahman's pictures were taken in Sonapur, the unofficial name for a work camp on the outskirts of Dubai, located far away from the luxury, soaring skyscrapers and vast wealth that the United Arab Emirates city is renowned for.
'Sonapur' - ironically, the name means 'City of Gold' in Hindi - is home to more than 150,000 workers, mostly from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and China.

Farhad explains that several workers have their passports seized at the airport and are forced to work extremely long hours in blistering heat for very little pay. They are taken to Sonapur - which is not on the map - so they can be better controlled by employers.

Farhad explains: 'People come to this land to make their future and benefit from the huge investments in construction and oil.
'There are many luxurious hotels and world-renowned structures which labourers have built over recent years.
'The employer usually takes their passport as soon as they arrive at Dubai airport and they are all sent to Sonapur.
'The labourers usually work 14 hours where in summer the temperature goes over 50C.
'Conversely, it is usually advised for western tourists not to stay outside for more than five minutes in summer.
'According to the government's laws, work places should close down during this kind of temperature in order not to harm labourers and their health.

Their accommodation is cramped, filthy, sweltering and often overrun with vermin. Yet many can't leave.

'One of the Chinese workers stopped me, took me to his room and showed me a sign he had written on some wood.
It read: 'Dear Boss I am working in your company already 1 year, my contract was expired but I cannot get my salary all 4 month less. I must go China soon, please pay for my money.'

This is the outcome of many people aspiring to work and stay in Dubai by all "means" afterall they believe "when i get there, everything will work well" when they can actually stay in their country and build themself the Dubai they drool for.

#Better To Be A Free Man In My Country Than Be A Prisoner In A Foreign Country.

Re: The "Other" Side Of Dubai. (pictures Inside) by holatin(m): 1:52pm On Dec 04, 2014
what
there are two side to everything either good or bad
Re: The "Other" Side Of Dubai. (pictures Inside) by Vikkie14: 1:57pm On Dec 04, 2014
More of the Pinshure

Re: The "Other" Side Of Dubai. (pictures Inside) by Mathematical(f): 2:03pm On Dec 04, 2014
Isn't it obvious that life is good and bad... Regardless of your color, age, country and sex... Don't you notice thousands of immigrants who always ply to enter Nigeria despite that we Nigerians always crave for better lifes... Some succeed while some wont...
Re: The "Other" Side Of Dubai. (pictures Inside) by mathmatica: 2:15pm On Dec 04, 2014
Hahahahahahah.....the guy on picture is bathing inside a tiled bathroom,with running water and electricity and he is complaining of vermin..... come to Nigeria ,visit mushin,ajegunle,ijora badia,orile,just to mention a few,then see if you won't consider returning to Dubai slum.

(1) (Reply)

Stakeholders Commend Techno Oil On LPG Cylinder Manufacturing Plant / Why Do Mostly Igbos Travel Home For Christmas? / School Life: A Girl Frustrated My Life Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.