Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Suggestionbox: Restructuring The Education Sector - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Suggestionbox: Restructuring The Education Sector (993 Views)

Nigerian Education Sector Needs Attention (fynestboi) / Buhari Describes Jonathan’s Achievement In Education Sector As Empty / *~ Ola one Voted The Education Section Poster Of The Year *~ Congratulations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suggestionbox: Restructuring The Education Sector by daveP(m): 10:56pm On Dec 04, 2014
This idea surfaced some months back when i scanned through Encyclopaedia Brittanica(mainly educational systems in some countries). Ideas on how to change Nigeria's faulty, educational sector crossed my mind and i felt like all i needed was just publicity to make it known.(an average Nigerian ALWAYS have this feeling)

But alas, the fire died down, but i kept seeing constant bad, lamentable news of how we all passed through a rotten foundation incapable of making us "Leaders of tomorrow" in the real sense of it.

This sector just seems too big for any Government to handle in 4years! -Fact

and thus my idea surfaced....

We should drop our suggestions on how this sector can be demolished, rebuilt and functioning in a healthy manner.

Each and everyone should take note to make mention of the following in their suggestions

*Teacher's Salary and Welfare

*Admission and Exams required(Should there be another system outside Jamb, Waec, Neco, etc)

*Student welfare and school infrastructure.

*Sports system for schools.

*Appreciation Programs for students and teachers alike

*Open, random ideas you feel should be effective if put into practice.

Let's start seeing them smiley
Re: Suggestionbox: Restructuring The Education Sector by Nobody: 11:10pm On Dec 04, 2014
I'd suggest the following:

- The FG and states should set up educational grants for students of tertiary institutions. The award of the grants could be based on a student's GPA and/or enrollment status.
From the over N800bn that would be saved by the FG if it implements the Oronsanye Panel recommendation, close to N60bn can be earmarked for this purpose

- It should be mandatory for ALL Secondary and tertiary schools to have sports facilities before they (schools) are given operational licenses .

- The federal UBEC should be scrapped; States and Local governments should take FULL responsibility for primary education. But I'm for the FG still retaining the power to make broad education policy.

- The JAMB exam should be the only exam required to gain admission into a tertiary institution. However, the institutions could set a quota for first-year admissions and/or increase the JAMB score required for admission.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Suggestionbox: Restructuring The Education Sector by dapotemi: 11:17pm On Dec 04, 2014
Following
Re: Suggestionbox: Restructuring The Education Sector by daveP(m): 11:27pm On Dec 04, 2014
CFCfan:
I'd suggest the following:

- The FG and states should set up educational grants for students of tertiary institutions. The award of the grants could be based on a student's GPA and/or enrollment status.
From the over N800bn that would be saved by the FG if it implements the Oronsanye Panel recommendation, close to N60bn can be earmarked for this purpose

- It should be mandatory for ALL Secondary and tertiary schools to have sports facilities before they (schools) are given operational licenses .

- The federal UBEC should be scrapped; States and Local governments should take FULL responsibility for primary education. But I'm for the FG still retaining the power to make broad education policy.

- The JAMB exam should be the only exam required to gain admission into a tertiary institution. However, the institutions could set a quota for first-year admissions and/or increase the JAMB score required for admission.
smiley well said. That Jamb part though! We would have many idle@ homes if it is/was the only way out. Even now that it reeks wit corruption. If sanitized, i have no choice but to agree.

Nice Suggestion!.....
Re: Suggestionbox: Restructuring The Education Sector by Nobody: 11:33pm On Dec 04, 2014
daveP:
smiley well said. That Jamb part though! We would have many idle@ homes if it is/was the only way out. Even now that it reeks wit corruption. If sanitized, i have no choice but to agree.

Nice Suggestion!.....
The corruption concern is quite valid. The tertiary institutions could request personal statements (essays) from successful applicants as an additional requirement, to root out any applicant who gained a good score through cheating.
Re: Suggestionbox: Restructuring The Education Sector by LogoDWhiz(m): 10:13pm On Dec 05, 2014
In the tertiaty section;
Old lecturers should be laid off. New, confident, young and willing lecturers should be introduced.

Regular appraisal of staffs performance each session by students.

Let there be a stop on this strikes.

Indiscipline should be curbed among secondary school student.

Scholarships should be more than this.

1 Like

Re: Suggestionbox: Restructuring The Education Sector by daveP(m): 9:50pm On Dec 06, 2014
LogoDWhiz:
In the tertiaty section;
Old lecturers should be laid off. New, confident, young and willing lecturers should be introduced.

Regular appraisal of staffs performance each session by students.

Let there be a stop on this strikes.

Indiscipline should be curbed among secondary school student.

Scholarships should be more than this.
that would be regarding the retirement age for teachers. Which in turn is directly linked with their welfare.(if they are well paid, the retirement age would/can be reduced).

Strikes and welfare intertwined. You wonder if their kids are studying under the same conditions with which they treat students...
Re: Suggestionbox: Restructuring The Education Sector by daveP(m): 9:53pm On Dec 06, 2014
CFCfan:

The corruption concern is quite valid. The tertiary institutions could request personal statements (essays) from successful applicants as an additional requirement, to root out any applicant who gained a good score through cheating.
The excuse for this method would be "i may be bad in english language, but im hot in physics" grin
Re: Suggestionbox: Restructuring The Education Sector by Nobody: 11:30pm On Dec 06, 2014
daveP:
The excuse for this method would be "i may be bad in english language, but im hot in physics" grin

Lol. Even if you are an engineer has to be able to communicate effectively in written English.

(1) (Reply)

Project Topics And Materials In Marketing / Problems And Prospects Of Retail Business Administration In Nigeria / Mathematics Made Easy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.