Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,806 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:37 PM

Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities (28288 Views)

We’ll Build Resilient Nigerian Cities – President Buhari / "Boko-Haram Sect Are Resilient Warriors" - JTF Personnel / Time Lists Jonathan, Obama, Messi Among World’s 100 Most Influential (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by dhappyking(m): 4:19pm On Dec 06, 2014
Congratulations to Enugu people. Congratulations to our able governor, Barr Sullivan Chime. He did so much for his people. God bless Sullivan. God bless Enugu state. God bless Nigeria.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by tonychristopher: 4:20pm On Dec 06, 2014
100Cents:

Nah you sabi..

I sabi cos I dey Lagos na
Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by tonychristopher: 4:21pm On Dec 06, 2014
tefund:
is enugu among modern city?

Maybe your mother can answer that aptly

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by cheruv: 4:21pm On Dec 06, 2014
chinwike2:
No wonder the isreali ambassador to Nigeria was astonished the last time he visted Enugu. Enugu in over a century of existence has accomdated generations, seen developments and war, and several govts. Enugu with one of the best planned network of roads with paved pedestrian walkway, sports arenas, shopping malls with one of best working utilities in any Nigerian city- excellent refuse disposal, traffic/street lights, police vehicles etc when you are in Enugu never miss the sight of the rolling hills you will definitely love it
what did Moshe Ram say about Enugwu?
Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by tonychristopher: 4:24pm On Dec 06, 2014
I am not yet done

I am an anambra dude but the last time I was in Enugu the pump was running ..can u imagine that

That was august this year

NEPA is always there

Love the town

Had native salad at museum

Then hung out till 2 am at new berries

That town is so sexy ...I must say but Owerri is so sexh also in a bit way

Igbo Ekene m

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by Engrr(m): 4:46pm On Dec 06, 2014
lalasticlala:
Enugu made history, Wednesday, as the only Nigerian city among 35 cities from across the globe invited to join the 100 Resilient Cities Network (100RC) pioneered by The Rockefeller Foundation, New York.

The announcement was made during The Rockefeller Foundation’s Urban Resilience Summit in Singapore. The other three African cities that made the list alongside the Coal City of Enugu are Kigali (Rwanda), Accra (Ghana) and Arusha (Tanzania).

The choice of Enugu was predicated on the transformation of the road network in the city under Sullivan Chime. This was in addition to numerous national and international recognitions that have been bestowed on Enugu state. The organizers of the network said that Enugu was chosen from nearly 350 applicants on the basis of its ability to “demonstrate a unique vision for resilience, a long-term commitment to cutting across levels of government and sectors of society, a special attention to the needs of the poor and vulnerable.”

The Foundation stressed that Enugu like other Network cities will serve as a model for other global cities that seek to build their own resilience.

This second wave of cities will join 32 cities that won last year’s 100 Resilient Cities Challenge, forming a growing network of urban centers around the world that are ready to respond to the social, economic and physical shocks and stresses that are a growing part of the 21st century.

Other renowned cities of the world invited to join the list in the 2014 edition include Athens, Barcelona, London, Paris, Boston, Chicago, Amman, Sydney and Singapore.
100-Resilient Cites was created by an initial $100 million commitment by the Rockefeller Foundation as part of their Centennial last year, recognizing the trends of urbanization and globalization that characterize this century.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/12/enugu-makes-history-joins-worlds-100-resilient-cities/

042......NOT JUST A DIALING CODE.........BUT A WAY OF LIFE!!!!!!!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by watered(m): 4:57pm On Dec 06, 2014
Your manner of writing is so excellent and outstanding. I dobale for you. Igbos have always been industrious and hardworking. I'm a native of Enugu, Oji-River LGA precisely. Igbo kwenu!!!
pazienza:
Enugu with almost the least amount of allocation in Nigeria, once again, demonstrates the resilent spirit of Ndiigbo, the spirit that the Nigerian factor is now corrupting and supressing, the spirit that saw Ndiigbo emerge from the ruins of Biafra, and today stands as the most educated Nigerian group.

Who said that Republic of Igboland won't achieve great things once free of this colonial anomaly called Nigeria? Just take a look at Enugu,the land of my birth, and see what we can achieve once we rid ourselves of the rest of the Igbophobic Nigerian groups and their corrupted Igbo thieves parading themselves as our leaders.

The greatest asset of the Igbo nation,is our resilient spirit, unmatched by any other Nigerian group, and now,even the world can see our resilience once again.

Enugwu is the pride of the Igbo nation.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by watered(m): 5:04pm On Dec 06, 2014
dhappyking:
Congratulations to Enugu people. Congratulations to our able governor, Barr Sullivan Chime. He did so much for his people. God bless Sullivan. God bless Enugu state. God blessNigeria. Biafra

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by OneNaira6: 5:25pm On Dec 06, 2014
Yet he made very little noise while doing so. Unlike the one that threw parties because he brought in a street lamp or the one that threw a party because he built the tallest drum. Real working leaders do not make noises, they let their work speak for them.

Congratulations chime

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by OreMI22: 5:31pm On Dec 06, 2014
OneNaira6:
Yet he made very little noise while doing so. Unlike the one that threw parties because he brought in a street lamp or the one that threw a party because he built the tallest drum. Real working leaders do not make noises, they let their work speak for them.

Congratulations chime

I am waiting on the Janjaweeed supporters to come and spew their jealousy and poison like the true snakes that they are.

Meanwhile,
Congratulations to Chime and Enugu people for achieving this feat.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by Nobody: 5:37pm On Dec 06, 2014
1--otu, i rep 042

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by Nobody: 5:41pm On Dec 06, 2014
See as some folks are avoiding this thread..they still can't believe that their precious lagos didn't make the list...lol

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by swezenberg(m): 6:16pm On Dec 06, 2014
slimmy05:
tongue Pained

Pained? When I'm not surprised it is coming from a generation of flat heads.
Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by tonaydo(m): 6:24pm On Dec 06, 2014
ENUGU IS REALLY BEAUTIFUL.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by omalistic(f): 6:45pm On Dec 06, 2014
pazienza:

Don't take his bait. He want to incite Igbo dick measuring contest between Enugu people and Anambrarians. Don't take the bait, don't compare Enugu with any SE town,Enugu is the capital of the Igbo nation, it belongs to all Ndiigbo. Onitsha is our commercial capital, Aba is our Industrial capital, Nnewi is going to be our detroit, Owerri our tourist haven, Abakaliki would be the centre of our agro econnomy, there is room for all in the Igbo nation, no need for Igbo dick measuring contest.

YOU ROCK!!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by scholarosisi(f): 7:35pm On Dec 06, 2014
The land of my birth I hail thee. Can't wait to be there for christmas.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by Nobody: 7:38pm On Dec 06, 2014
Enugu fine sha. Bn there

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by achi4u(m): 7:42pm On Dec 06, 2014
Knowledge9000:
Well planned and very clean city! If you have lived abroad for a long time and looking for a Nigerian city that will offer you the same as abroad...quiet, clean, well planned, road network, less crime, malls, nice houses, Enugu is the best choice! Home to many wealthy and middle class Igbos in diaspora. People there are educated, well traveled and exposed. Lagos, Abuja or Port Harcourt will be too fast-paced for you. You will fit in well in Enugu. My two cents!
You are perfectly right my man.
Enugu -To God Be The Glory.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by allcomage: 9:25pm On Dec 06, 2014
lalasticlala:
Enugu made history, Wednesday, as the only Nigerian city among 35 cities from across the globe invited to join the 100 Resilient Cities Network (100RC) pioneered by The Rockefeller Foundation, New York.

The announcement was made during The Rockefeller Foundation’s Urban Resilience Summit in Singapore. The other three African cities that made the list alongside the Coal City of Enugu are Kigali (Rwanda), Accra (Ghana) and Arusha (Tanzania).

The choice of Enugu was predicated on the transformation of the road network in the city under Sullivan Chime. This was in addition to numerous national and international recognitions that have been bestowed on Enugu state. The organizers of the network said that Enugu was chosen from nearly 350 applicants on the basis of its ability to “demonstrate a unique vision for resilience, a long-term commitment to cutting across levels of government and sectors of society, a special attention to the needs of the poor and vulnerable.”

The Foundation stressed that Enugu like other Network cities will serve as a model for other global cities that seek to build their own resilience.

This second wave of cities will join 32 cities that won last year’s 100 Resilient Cities Challenge, forming a growing network of urban centers around the world that are ready to respond to the social, economic and physical shocks and stresses that are a growing part of the 21st century.

Other renowned cities of the world invited to join the list in the 2014 edition include Athens, Barcelona, London, Paris, Boston, Chicago, Amman, Sydney and Singapore.
100-Resilient Cites was created by an initial $100 million commitment by the Rockefeller Foundation as part of their Centennial last year, recognizing the trends of urbanization and globalization that characterize this century.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/12/enugu-makes-history-joins-worlds-100-resilient-cities/
I was exposed to motivational books early in my life and one thing all of them teach is to lean on the positive aspect of life.Therefore,for me, i always dwell on the positive side of everything be it setbacks, religion,ethnicity,culture or whatever and it has impacted on my life positively.Coming from a minority tribe, i have always been associated the with igbo,have them as friends through schools and eventually married one.i observed there is always this subtle moves everywhere be it in government,educational,corporate,tribal and religious circles to dim their light but for their resilience.They represent the good,the bad and the ugly just like any other nationality.It is a tribe either you hate to love or you love to hate.Unarguably they have become the face of Nigeria going by my encounters with foreigners in my travels. They become agents of change in any environment they habit.Since the ObJ second coming, few achievements recorded have Igbo as the main driving force:banking,telecom,nafdac,sports,debt/foreign reserve etc.They now have the largest pool of technocrats in the country given their resurgence in education.They are gradually encircling Nigeria despite all efforts to keep them away from the highest office in land.over 50% of Nigeria liquidity is their hand leaving the remainder to over 300 ethnic groups.My recent trips to southeast was an opener,there is aggressive economic resurgence not witnessed in other parts of the country.Dangote trucks are allover the place hauling cement .I suppose entrepreneurship is the way to go and the Igbo have chosen the right part.A prophet may not be accepted in his own country but the world is taking note of Igbo.My in laws kwenu!

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by Lastanza: 11:37pm On Dec 06, 2014
my 4fadas wud nt forgiv me if i dn't pay my own homage on diz thread az a typical case of a home bred son of d land of glory.. ENUGU!! I pledge my allegiance..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by activities: 1:00am On Dec 07, 2014
Enugu ..the only city in Nigerian that I can sleep with both eyes close. .....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by tonychristopher: 6:34am On Dec 07, 2014
allcomage:
I was exposed to motivational books early in my life and one thing all of them teach is to lean on the positive aspect of life.Therefore,for me, i always dwell on the positive side of everything be it setbacks, religion,ethnicity,culture or whatever and it has impacted on my life positively.Coming from a minority tribe, i have always been associated the with igbo,have them as friends through schools and eventually married one.i observed there is always this subtle moves everywhere be it in government,educational,corporate,tribal and religious circles to dim their light but for their resilience.They represent the good,the bad and the ugly just like any other nationality.It is a tribe either you hate to love or you love to hate.Unarguably they have become the face of Nigeria going by my encounters with foreigners in my travels. They become agents of change in any environment they habit.Since the ObJ second coming, few achievements recorded have Igbo as the main driving force:banking,telecom,nafdac,sports,debt/foreign reserve etc.They now have the largest pool of technocrats in the country given their resurgence in education.They are gradually encircling Nigeria despite all efforts to keep them away from the highest office in land.over 50% of Nigeria liquidity is their hand leaving the remainder to over 300 ethnic groups.My recent trips to southeast was an opener,there is aggressive economic resurgence not witnessed in other parts of the country.Dangote trucks are allover the place hauling cement .I suppose entrepreneurship is the way to go and the Igbo have chosen the right part.A prophet may not be accepted in his own country but the world is taking note of Igbo.My in laws kwenu!

May you celebrate this Christmas with enough vodka and champagne may you have money to entertain the visitors may you be the light ..I am praying this not as an Igbo man but as an in law. ...you marry our sister and we in Igbo land appreciate in laws

Now you made a great point

Posterity will be with you

Where are you from anyway

Which tribe

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by Nobody: 8:31am On Dec 07, 2014
pazienza:

Don't take his bait. He want to incite Igbo dick measuring contest between Enugu people and Anambrarians. Don't take the bait, don't compare Enugu with any SE town,Enugu is the capital of the Igbo nation, it belongs to all Ndiigbo. Onitsha is our commercial capital, Aba is our Industrial capital, Nnewi is going to be our detroit, Owerri our tourist haven, Abakaliki would be the centre of our agro econnomy, there is room for all in the Igbo nation, no need for Igbo dick measuring contest.
Ah Pazienza nwanne okwu gi nile na som n' obi. A wuo na nu mo! Chai. You just summarized what I had in mind. Maybe when the new republic of Alaigbo is realized you may end up becoming it's first President. Well done nwannem.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by Lordleno(m): 9:57am On Dec 07, 2014
042 state of mind..
Enugu State where I come from has developed tremendously under the governance of Iheanacho Sullivan Chime undoubtedly.i hope he hands over to someone that is capable of maintaining what he has put in place...
Have you ever wondered why Enugu is called “The coal city Sate"...we can stand on our own when the time comes...we ve got our own natural mineral resource..#inbiafrawestnad.
ind'igbo kwenu

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by ObieTee1(m): 11:16am On Dec 07, 2014
042 is the code

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by Nobody: 11:24am On Dec 07, 2014
pazienza:

Let me add Asaba as the Hollywood of the Igbo nation. Pazienza hope you are following.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by pazienza(m): 11:28am On Dec 07, 2014
Chiwude:
Let me add Asaba as the Hollywood of the Igbo nation. Pazienza hope you are following.

Can't believe i missed that, yea. Asaba is shaping up to be our very own Hollywood.

Dalu, nwanne.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by shady26(m): 1:05pm On Dec 07, 2014
TonySpike:

My friend, I lived in Enugu for over a year. Don't make me start a pointless argument! I don't even think Enugu is as big as Onitsha and Aba in the first place. I repeat, Enugu roads may not be more than 10% of the road networks in Lagos. I have seen it all, is it from Holy Ghost Cathedral to Ogui road, Awkunanaw area, Abakpa or trans-Ekulu layout. If you're in doubt, I'll use Google map images to prove my point.
please bring in the google maps pics before you start saying what you dont know. i lived in enugu for 6 yrs and what lagos has more compared to other states is population not landmass....kapish

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 07, 2014
Chiwude:

Yes! Asaba is an Igbo city, and Anioma state is on the horizon for the Igbos.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by OneNaira6: 6:55pm On Dec 07, 2014
OreMI22:

I am waiting on the Janjaweeed supporters to come and spew their jealousy and poison like the true snakes that they are.

Meanwhile,
Congratulations to Chime and Enugu people for achieving this feat.

They avoiding it. Unlike them, real leaders work. They use propaganda to try and make it look like they are working.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by OneNaira6: 7:01pm On Dec 07, 2014
pazienza:

This is actually my philosophy on things. I pray one day the entire igbo community would work together to improve igboland. I pray one day Igbo choosing leaders regardless of his states to rule their state. We have so many competent Igbo leaders but sadly, they are unable to impact the lands due to the constriction of "states". I pray one day someone like Pat Utomi can become the governor of imo state or anambra or any igboland state and noone would care one bit he is not from those states. I pray one day people like chime can rule any igbo states workout anyone bating an eye. I hope and pray once day our people will realize we are better off working together than separately. That's my dream for igboland leadership

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities by pazienza(m): 7:19pm On Dec 07, 2014
OneNaira6:

This is actually my philosophy on things. I pray one day the entire igbo community would work together to improve igboland. I pray one day Igbo choosing leaders regardless of his states to rule their state. We have so many competent Igbo leaders but sadly, they are unable to impact the lands due to the constriction of "states". I pray one day someone like Pat Utomi can become the governor of imo state or anambra or any igboland state and noone would care one bit he is not from those states. I pray one day people like chime can rule any igbo states workout anyone bating an eye. I hope and pray once day our people will realize we are better off working together than separately. That's my dream for igboland leadership

That's the dream we must all work to bring to reality.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Governors Loyal To Tinubu, Atiku Absent At Meeting With APC NWC / Boko Haram Kills Olobi Abdulazeez, Nigerian Soldier (Photo) / Tinubu Arrives Niger State For A Town-hall Meeting With Farmers & Agro-allied

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.