Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,816 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

TOYOTA RAV4 Help! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / TOYOTA RAV4 Help! (1754 Views)

Please Help Me With The Basic Information About 2015 Toyota Rav4 / Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions / Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

TOYOTA RAV4 Help! by Miriam78: 3:27am On Dec 06, 2014
Yesterday driving home the transmission went out on my '02 Rav4. I lost the Drive gears and made it home in Low 2nd. Went online and discovered it is a common problem with 2001-03 Rav4s and is actually caused by a bad ECM (Engine Control Module). I called the dealership in the morning and they said it would be nearly $5,000 to replace the ECM and transmission. This is really bad for a Toyota with only 75,000 miles.
Looking for information about repair
Re: TOYOTA RAV4 Help! by camaro(m): 7:39am On Dec 06, 2014
Miriam78:
Yesterday driving home the transmission went out on my '02 Rav4. I lost the Drive gears and made it home in Low 2nd. Went online and discovered it is a common problem with 2001-03 Rav4s and is actually caused by a bad ECM (Engine Control Module). I called the dealership in the morning and they said it would be nearly $5,000 to replace the ECM and transmission. This is really bad for a Toyota with only 75,000 miles.

I had similar issue. The solution is to change the ECM or to upgrade. If you are in the east contact oroz, he is popular. He can help you with an upgrade
Re: TOYOTA RAV4 Help! by AutosBay(m): 8:19am On Dec 06, 2014
Re: TOYOTA RAV4 Help! by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:57am On Dec 06, 2014
Miriam78:

I can bet the OP is autosbay. This is becoming sick, lomomike please look into this.
Re: TOYOTA RAV4 Help! by Nobody: 9:06am On Dec 06, 2014
Miriam78:
Yesterday driving home the transmission
went out on my '02 Rav4. I lost the Drive gears and made it home in Low
2nd. Went online and discovered it is a common problem with 2001-03
Rav4s and is actually caused by a bad ECM (Engine Control Module). I
called the dealership in the morning and they said it would be nearly
$5,000 to replace the ECM and transmission. This is really bad for a
Toyota with only 75,000 miles.

err op, where are you located? how come an 02 rav4 is having 75k miles, something is fishy, or is the counter doctored? picture of the mileage counter, and the rav4 body with a paper bearing your moniker or we dont believe!
Re: TOYOTA RAV4 Help! by doroboss(m): 11:49am On Dec 07, 2014
full story. notice the date.
Chris Mar 10, 2010
Yesterday driving home the transmission went out on my '02 Rav4. I lost the Drive gears and made it home in Low 2nd. Went online and discovered it is a common problem with 2001-03 Rav4s and is actually caused by a bad ECM (Engine Control Module). I called the dealership in the morning and they said it would be nearly $5,000 to replace the ECM and transmission. This is really bad for a Toyota with only 72,000 miles.
Found out later that I'm covered by a 'Federal Emissions Warranty' mandated by the government. Called Toyota back and low and behold yes, I am covered after all, but only for the ECM and not the transmission. How ridiculous is that? You don't know you have a bad ECM until the transmission goes. I also found online that Toyota will not replace the ECM unless you're having transmission issues. By then it's too late to save the transmission.
I took it to my own mechanic and am waiting for his findings and costs. In other posts, seemingly knowledgeable mechanics wrote that an entire transmission is not necessary, that it probably only requires replacement of main gears and/or the Direct Clutch.http://m.topix.com/forum/autos/toyota/TGGE7144BGETEBJ2E

Miriam78 is an attention seeker.
Re: TOYOTA RAV4 Help! by billy187(m): 8:20pm On Dec 07, 2014
doroboss:
full story. notice the date.

Miriam78 is an attention seeker.

I think mariam 78 is a robot.
Robots, robots everywhere!! grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: TOYOTA RAV4 Help! by SpaceAngel: 12:37pm On Dec 08, 2014
Re: TOYOTA RAV4 Help! by Nobody: 7:29pm On Dec 10, 2014
Export1:
Hello! It might be interesting!

8 reasons to buy Toyota Rav4 2014
1. Space
Passenger and cargo room is arguably the main reason that people opt for vehicles in this class and the RAV4 provides a lot of it, far more than competitors like the Ford Escape do. The front and rear seats are perfectly sized for adults and the cargo bay is ...

All nullified by 'financial constraints'. grin

1 Like

Re: TOYOTA RAV4 Help! by Miriam78: 11:58pm On Dec 22, 2014
billy187:

I think mariam 78 is a robot.
Robots, robots everywhere!! grin

undecided I am not!!
Re: TOYOTA RAV4 Help! by DECOtech(m): 11:35pm On Dec 24, 2014
Miriam78:

undecided I am not!!

Then you shld be Original. Stop copying and pasting people's posts from other forums

(1) (Reply)

This List Shows The Most Reliable & Least Reliable Car Brands - Consumer Reports / Governor Wike’s (BEAST Range Rover Vogue) & It Price Will Leave You In Shock / What Is This Vehicle Part Called?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.