Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

Bribe Airport Officials, Risk Five-year Jail Term -ICPC - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Bribe Airport Officials, Risk Five-year Jail Term -ICPC (739 Views)

Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery / Ogun Crashes Kill 20 As Commuters Blame Bribe-taking Policemen (PIC) / Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bribe Airport Officials, Risk Five-year Jail Term -ICPC by Shine1177: 5:49pm On Dec 07, 2014
December 7, 2014 by Toluwani Eniola

The Independent Corrupt Practices and other related Offences Commission on Sunday warned airport staff and travellers to desist from illicit transactions, saying the commission had begun a secret surveillance at the nation’s airports to check corrupt practices.

The ICPC, in a statement signed by its media consultant, Folu Olamiti, said any person giving or receiving bribes or soliciting same at the airports would be arrested and prosecuted and could face a five-year jail term.

According to the statement, the ICPC Chairman, Mr. Nta Ekpo, disclosed the new measure during ‘Focus,’ an African Independent Television programme in Abuja.

Ekpo urged Nigerians to report any airport staff who demand bribe by calling the ICPC toll free lines: 08031230280, 08031230281, 08031230282, 07056990190 and 07056990191.

The ICPC boss said the era of impunity and other illegal practices at the nation’s international airports was over.

According to Ekpo, notices would be prominently displayed at strategic locations within the airports to educate all travellers entering or leaving Nigeria on the zero tolerance for corrupt practices like offering bribes, whether solicited or unsolicited.

“Ethics and Integrity training would be arranged for all airport staff by the ICPC in addition to subscription to an airport code of professional conduct. Giving airport staff tips, other than for payment for receipted services, would be treated as solicitation and attract sanctions,” Ekpo said.

Ekpo said the commission had undertaken a similar Corruption Risk Assessment exercise at selected sea ports a few months ago, adding that some ICPC operatives were undergoing training with the Nigerian Customs Service to better understand the processes at the sea ports in order to effectively check abuses.

Ekpo, who drew instances from neighboring country Ghana, said travellers were not harassed by airport officials.

He said, “The ICPC has been able to do a lot of clean up of fake or fraudulent intent to collect visas from the High Commission of India and the embassies of Spain, Brazil and the United States. I can tell you that the embassies are more relaxed now. If you have a genuine reason to travel, they will give you a visa.”

‎”Whenever you are travelling abroad, correctly declare whatever that you are carrying in order to avoid any embarrassment from airport officials. Even the way you will be treated abroad will be different if you go by the rules.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/bribe-airport-officials-risk-5-year-jail-term-icpc/

1 Like

Re: Bribe Airport Officials, Risk Five-year Jail Term -ICPC by agarawu23(m): 6:07pm On Dec 07, 2014
good development.

wont av to keep extra money to bribe nigeria airport officials wen coming home.
Re: Bribe Airport Officials, Risk Five-year Jail Term -ICPC by Nobody: 8:27pm On Dec 07, 2014
nice one! immigration officers will enter my trap. I'm so gonna start recording my conversations with them.
Re: Bribe Airport Officials, Risk Five-year Jail Term -ICPC by Nobody: 12:20am On Dec 08, 2014
Ok sir.
Re: Bribe Airport Officials, Risk Five-year Jail Term -ICPC by henrychubayo: 5:25am On Dec 08, 2014
I love the zeal. But the question is, Will it Last long? Our people should be educated very well. I was one of those who refused to give bribe. Someone educated me very well and told me not to panic but insist on not giving bribe. When I arrive, the immigration guy told me to give him something but I refused. He sent me to their main boss thinking that he will break me to give something, I refused. Their boss pin pointedly told me that they collect something from first timers, I said my money is finished but next time. He allowed me back to immigration guy. He again referred me second time to NDLEA. The woman there told me to sharply give her something, I refused that I don't have money now. She told me that they collect dollars here. I said next time. She delayed me and later allowed me. This time I went back to immigration and they stamped me. This is what is going on at the airport. Surveillance cameras inside all the offices as we as the counter will do the job.

(1) (Reply)

Any Help For Moldovia Visa? / British Birth Certificate ! / Marriage Visa And Fiance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.