Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,046 members, 7,835,530 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

Song Of Nigeria - A Poem Written By Shehu Shagari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Song Of Nigeria - A Poem Written By Shehu Shagari (851 Views)

'this Is The Master Of Our Game' By Shehu Garba!?? / Who Will Ask Obasanjo To Shut Up? By Shehu Dikko (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Song Of Nigeria - A Poem Written By Shehu Shagari by tplacid: 3:37pm On Dec 08, 2014
Hi Nairalanders, I saw an old book my dad bought years ago written by Shehu Shagari (My Vision for Nigeria), after opening the book to do a quick scan I read a poem written by the great leader. And I felt I should it with you;
Lord we beseech your help
To guard us from the iniquities of the world

Let our country grow and be known
All over this broad earth

Let everyone prosper in it
Without fear and without persecution

Help our land find honour
Place her on the path of truth

Help her develop and become renowned
Let her be an example to Africa

Let her prosper, let there be wealth
Everywhere in Nigeria

And thank God
That he placed us among the people of Nigeria – Shehu Shagari

After reading it I felt a kind of renewed hope, a sense of purpose, the need to act, to be aware, to believe and have faith that our fallen heroes never gave up, they fought (intellectually) to the end.

When we recite the national anthem, there is a part that says

May the labour of our heroes past not be in vain

Our heroes are have gone to the great beyond, but we can carry on from where they stopped, all we need to do is to believe.

Yes this country is a mess, corruption, nepotism, insecurity, insurgency, tribalism etc are growing by the day, but if we just believe and hope that we can make a change then we can act based on that and we move this country forward so we won’t burden our kids with this mess.

Running to other lands may give temporary comfort, but the truth is no matter how long you stay there they will never treat you as part of their own and you can’t change the fact that you are Nigerian

Besides, a lot of Nigerians are doing great home and abroad, a Nigerian boy became the 2nd in a National competition in the UK in mathematics, another Nigerian student became the first African to have first class in Law in a University in Reading……..I can go on and on about great Nigerians (both young and old, at home or abroad) doing great things, it is in these Nigerians that we must find hope, inspiration, followership, leadership and greatness.

I don’t know about you but as for me

I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful Loyal and Honest
To defend her unity
To uphold her honour and glory
So help me God
Ameen

God bless Nigerians, God bless Africans and the rest of humanity.
Re: Song Of Nigeria - A Poem Written By Shehu Shagari by azimibraun: 4:17pm On Dec 08, 2014
Inspiring post.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Wins APC Presidential Primary, Confronts GEJ In FEB / [OPINION] Does Okezie Ikpeazu Deserve Abians Vote? - Gov. Aspirant Abia State / Amaechi Prediction For 2015 Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.