Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,125 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:38 AM

Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" (2915 Views)

EkitiGate: ChannelTv Video Of Tope Aluko Revealing How Ekiti Election Was Rigged / Rotimi Amaechi And Fani-Kayode On Politics Today On Channels TV. / Prof Yemi Osinbajo Live On Channels Tv Politics Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by Image123(m): 2:32am On Dec 09, 2014
i'm not a politician, neither do i have any political party. i feature on this forum usually on the religion section. i saw this thread on frontpage and it was such a pity the comments i read compared to the Buhari i know. i had to go and watch a part of the interview because of time and interest. however, i thought to help those who would want to really hear what was said in the interview. Here is a part of the interview, the first two links provided.

ChannelsMan: Thank you for joining us, General.
Buhari: Thank you very much.

ChannelsMan: I must ask you, tonight. You are on PoliticsToday, and a lot of Nigerians are looking at you, and they see someone who has run 2003, 2007, 2011 and now 2015 you want to run for President. Why?
Buhari: Well, errmmmmm, the Nigerian constitution. The Nigerian constitution says you cannot vote neither can you be voted for if you have not reached the age of 18. From the age of 18 upwards, a Nigerian can seek to be nominated from councillorship to the Presidency and there was no age limits. And I felt that I'm, in my experience I have something to offer to this country, especially at this particular time.

ChannelsMan: Interesting. I must say that you look graceful, you are 71?
Buhari: Yes.

ChannelsMan: Interesting, what is the secret of you looking this young?
Buhari: Well I think errr, partly I think the military training. You have to maintain yourself fit, and having being there for more than 22yrs, I think it's a habit that has been inculcated in one and not easily abandoned. So I try to keep myself fit.

ChannelsMan: interesting. And this time around, you are running and people are thinking that the signs of time. It's the coming of young people into the leadership atmosphere and in politics. Do you think that you are not too old?
Buhari: No, I don't think I am. And by embarassed the system, nobody is blocked. It is up to the people to make up their mind to go through the processes. And then in the end, what the people want is what should happen. And with that in place, I don't think there should be any reason to get obsessed with the age of aspirants.

ChannelsMan: And, you think that you have something different that you are bringing to the table. With your experience. The last time you were Head of State, that's about three decades ago. some people would be asking, "Is there something the General left at the first number one position that he wants to go and pick up?"
Buhari: Well, we look at the condition of the country, then and now. If we reflect very seriously from 1999 to date, we'd find out embarassed there are calls of people who feel that the country can be better run, to come out and seek to do so. What position were we in 1999, economically and security wise, and what is our position now? And how much have we earned in-between? What happened to our infrastructures? What happened to power? What happened to the roads? What happened to Nigerian Railways? What happened to Nigerian shipping line? What happened to Nigerian Airways? I look at all that we have earned, and the standard of education, and healthcare. So I think that there is a lot that can be done.

ChannelsMan: You think things have gone really bad since the last...
Buhari: They have, in the terms of unemployment and so on. I will give you an example with one industry I know because I am associated with that. Textiles, the Nigerian Textiles at the time the PDP took the affairs of this country, was employing at least 320,000 people. Between Ikeja, Aba, Kaduna and Kano. I beleieve they are employing less than 30,000 now. A serious government will be very very upset. If in one industry alone, 300,000 people are out of job. And we believe, behind every Nigerian worker, there is about 4 people behind him. This is only one industry.

ChannelsMan: embarassed
Buhari: So, this culture of unemployment, especially of able bodies.I think it's a very very serious security issue, additional to what we are facing now.

ChannelsMan: To the issue of your ambition, you said in 2011 that you will not be running for the Presidential seat anymore. this is the statement attributed to you, and I quote "This campaign is the third and last one for me, since after it. I will not present myself again for election into the office of the President." Are you going back on that word that you said that time?
Buhari: Yes.

ChannelsMan: Why?
Buhari: With a reason. My supporters. and there was a time that I mentioned people that came from states, by name. The came in groups, my party then. They said that they need me to continue.

ChannelsMan: Against your personal convictions?
Buhari: Against my personal, well against my personal wish. Let me put it that way. Because to them, the important thing is that I never said I will leave partisan politics. They said that once I am in partisan politics, then I have to participate in looking for the highest office in the country. And since I remained in partisan politics, I had to give in to what my supporters want.

ChannelsMan: A lot of people would think in 2003 ANPP, 2011 CPC and now you are of the APC. That you are perhaps working with some of the people you stood against in 2011. How do you feel, being in the same camp with som e of the people who do not have the same political beliefs that you do?
Buhari: I believe I've explained why I left ANPP and we got registered in CPC. And why we again, the opposition parties then, ACN, ANPP, CPC, and to some extent APGA and DPP. We decided to come together because we felt that none of the opposition parties will make any impact against the PDP. But when we come together, and form an opposition, we will make a difference. And we hope Nigerians will support us, and see the difference. Because the type of impunity that the PDP perpetrated in this country from 1999 till now, I think can no longer be tolerated.

ChannelsMan: We talk about decadence in a lot of aspect of Nigerian life. And a lot of people, if you take the days of the military out of the almost 60years of Nigeria's existence. The military spent close to 70% of it, and a lot of people attribute that some of the problems we have as a country today can be blamed on the military. Do you agree?
Buhari: Well, I don't think no government whether military or civil can be absolutely blameless. It is very important for some who want to blame the military for anything to articulate the forms or issues the military are to be blamed, and then educate Nigerians about it. And let Nigerians get it properly put in our history. But it's so easy to open one's mouth and accuse one of one thing or the other. But the important thing, people must not be intellectually lazy. They must find out what people have done wrong, and why the system then failed to fetch that wrong or failed to correct it. Not just to assume that because the military refused to register parties, conduct elections. But then try and find out what damage has it done. And later, we look at Nigeria's development. When were most of the ports, the airports, the teaching hospitals, the universities were built. Try and do some finding.

ChannelsMan: So you don't agree that the military has done a lot of damage to our growth and development as a country?
Buhari: No, I don't believe so.

ChannelsMan: Well we have a lot of monies that are being returned to us, as a result of corruption in the military rule at some point.
Buhari: How many leaders who were involved in that?

ChannelsMan: In the space of 6 months, we have 3 situations where monies were returned to the Nigerian government.
Buhari: Exactly.

ChannelsMan: Monies taken away by military government.
Buhari: I agree, I agree. But that will involve 1 military administration as far as I know. Abacha's administration. Do you have any issues of such wanton(work in) corruption in 9years of Gowon's administration, or in Murtala's 7months, or in my 20 months? Do you have any issues of such corruption internationally?

ChannelsMan: You said at some point that you leaving. In 1995{i guess he meant 85}, that you leaving power that time when that coup happened was as a result of some people in your government who are corrupt, and because of your stand against corruption, they wanted you out. So you didn't believe that corruption in the military government.
Buhari: Some of the military government, there were no corruption in them.

ChannelsMan: So, the military government. We benefited from military rule, isn't it? Is that what you're saying?
Buhari: Well, if there were no corruption, automatically it means there are sources available for development. But when there is corruption, I will try and make some statements here. The National Assembly was concerned, I think about a year ago. About what happened to NEPA, or PHCN, both of blessed memory. And the Pension Funds and Petroluem Industry, they conducted hearing in Abuja, in the geo-political zones. They sent their recommendations to the Executive, this is the last Nigerians heard about it. And of recent, soldiers out of all decency i will put it, were giving foreign press interview, that they are being sent to the front without weapons. And again, the National Assembly, attempted to conduct hearing. They went and collated how much money was voted for the military and so on in trillions of dollars over the last 3-4 years. But that hearing was scuttled. What do you say about that?

ChannelsMan: General Buhari, at this point, we know that it is popular. Your stand against the issue of indiscipline and corruption. But looking at the situation of things now, if you are given that ticket and if you are elected President of Nigeria. Do you think that it is the same methods that you used when you came as head of government in 1983 that you would still use this time around?
Buhari: The system is different. That one a military administration. Although we had the Supreme Military Council, the National Council of States, and the Federal Executive Council. But this is a multi-party democratic system. But there are constitution in place. 1999 Constitution as amended, and one has to go through that. And that Constitution does not allow for corruption. The problem is that the Government, the Central Government and some of the State Governments were not applying sanctions. While the constitution recommends that corruption should be checked. If such should have been applied, I sure embarassed that hearing conducted by the National Assembly, something would have happened. And probably, we'll know the actions taken by Government for those who'v e short-changed the Government.

ChannelsMan: Because, you know. What we see most of the time is how courts scuttle or frustrate the efforts of fighting corruption. Would you be frustrated by this kind of situation?
Buhari: I think the office of the Attorney-General and Minister of Justice will have to work hand in hand with the police, and do their constitutional role properly. We don't believe they are not properly trained, or not experienced. But there was no determination by the leadership to really check corruption. Because actually hearing, I referred earlier on, some of what has happened. But nothing has happened as far as we know.

There's more to the interview, interesting perspectives if i may say.
Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by Skillz02(m): 3:14am On Dec 09, 2014
undecided,,, Well for me i don't care
about his communication incapability
all i know is he is a man of JUSTICE

Pls NIgerians let face the fact & shun sentiment

9 Likes

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by dunkem21(m): 3:36am On Dec 09, 2014
Oh! Why make this political mistake with some hours to the primaries.

Truth be told, the general has lost touch with current trends.

We deserve better.

2 Likes

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by Splashme: 4:01am On Dec 09, 2014
[size=13pt]Does this Buhari smoke?

I watched the video - his dark lips, dark gum, teeth, dark inner mouth . . . . hmmm[/size]

1 Like

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by Uchan4u(m): 4:06am On Dec 09, 2014
GMB didn't show how he intends to move Nigeria forward in this interview. so many questions were not answered. I just see in this interview, that he is not well acquainted with happenings around the political corridors. He failed to understand that a military administration is autocratic... where the opinions of the head of states are laws and others. Nobody dares question him. In democracy the reverse is the case. From his response, I don't see him blending to the new system of democracy. Corruption has many faces... it takes a technocrat to understand corruption... with the way he is going he might land himself into a trap, where he can no longer exonerate himself from corruption.

2 Likes

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by Olayinka8793(m): 4:24am On Dec 09, 2014
Good leadership has little to do with oratorical/communication prowess.Focus,determination,sincerity,discipline and a desire to achieve set goals are wat we need in a leader and the General can not be accused of lacking in those qualities.Sai Buhari

4 Likes

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by PapiWata: 4:58am On Dec 09, 2014
Splashme:
I watched the video - his dark lips, dark gum, teeth, dark inner mouth[/size]

That scarecrow-looking ex-tyrant most likely smokes weed, which really is not advisable for anyone already afflicted with compounding mental debilitation and delusions of grandeur like Buhari the terror gang sponsor who AGAIN hopes to FORCE himself on Nigeria as its born-to-rule Ffffresident, forgetting that his manifest destiny is carved in stone to be FAILURE on all fronts and in all aspirations.

The interviewer did a good job of trying to make the expired dictator and insurgent sponsor stray from his memorized script of canned responses, and those lapses into droning platitudes again showcased beautifully what a buffoon and hopeless dreamer Buhari has been all along, even as the toll of lives claimed by his slave-raiding hordes continues to rise.

2 Likes

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by mrvitalis(m): 5:20am On Dec 09, 2014
buhari biggest problem has always been his speech
....this man didnt consult liar Mohammed before this interview
...sir some of us know what u can do ...but show us u can do it
...pls if we can get atiku to swear he will not loot then that man is the best choice we have
Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by html14java(f): 6:01am On Dec 09, 2014
PapiWata:

That scarecrow-looking ex-tyrant most likely smokes weed, which really is not advisable for anyone already afflicted with compounding mental debilitation and delusions of grandeur like Buhari the terror gang sponsor who AGAIN hopes to FORCE himself on Nigeria as its born-to-rule Ffffresident, forgetting that his manifest destiny is carved in stone to be FAILURE on all fronts and in all aspirations.

The interviewer did a good job of trying to make the expired dictator and insurgent sponsor stray from his memorized script of canned responses, and those lapses into droning platitudes again showcased beautifully what a buffoon and hopeless dreamer Buhari has been all along, even as the toll of lives claimed by his slave-raiding hordes continues to rise.

Hmmmm...cascading grammar sheet.
Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by PassingShot(m): 6:15am On Dec 09, 2014
I didn't see the interview but he has not disappointed with what I've read so far here.

5 Likes

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by qtx(m): 6:41am On Dec 09, 2014
Olayinka8793:
Good leadership has little to do with oratorical/communication prowess.Focus,determination,sincerity,discipline and a desire to achieve set goals are wat we need in a leader and the General can not be accused of lacking in those qualities.Sai Buhari
No sound brain will ever carry out a process decently without being able to offer explanation of the process, Nigerians are no fools. They say ideas rule the world, GMB is short of ideas and since he is not a deaf and dumb we expect explanations as someone who will be our numb one is this how he will go and rule us like a deaf and dumb? To me it is a no because i feel his responses to most questions portray him as being empty. We cannot move from fry pan to fire o. Bc its not just about grabbing power by force but the need for a credible alternative. So am forced to ask myself is this the credible alternative to GEJ? grin

1 Like

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by giwah(m): 6:43am On Dec 09, 2014
He actually didn't say anything bad. Haters are always gon hate. We all know we need a change in Nigeria, forget sentiment, if not him, who else is dat competent? GEJ has ruled for almost 6yrs now with nothing to show for it, he has totally failed us, he really needs to go biko.

3 Likes

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by PapiWata: 9:09am On Dec 09, 2014
qtx:

No sound brain will ever carry out a process decently without being able to offer explanation of the process, Nigerians are no fools. They say ideas rule the world, GMB is short of ideas and since he is not a deaf and dumb we expect explanations as someone who will be our numb one is this how he will go and rule us like a deaf and dumb? To me it is a no because i feel his responses to most questions portray him as being empty. We cannot move from fry pan to fire o. Bc its not just about grabbing power by force but the need for a credible alternative. So am forced to ask myself is this the credible alternative to GEJ? grin

Being unable to speak simple English that others can understand is NOT a requirement for anyone aspiring to become a local government sanitary inspector, so Buhari should consider running at that level of government, in his sandy desert village, where his speech impediment will be less likely to amuse observers.

2 Likes

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by agabaI23(m): 9:23am On Dec 09, 2014
Olayinka8793:
Hmmm, your people havent been this gracious with GEJ. So speaking grammar is no longer important?
Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by unlimitedbosco: 9:27am On Dec 09, 2014
and when i said gej will wallop dis man in a debate certain people wanted to cut my neck. Now they are singing a new anthem saying it not how u speak that matters but aw u work. Any man who cant tell us his ideas does not deserve d votes of right thinking nigerians

1 Like

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by jmaine: 9:31am On Dec 09, 2014
agabaI23:
Hmmm, your people havent been this gracious with GEJ. So speaking grammar is no longer important?

Are you surprised at the shameless hypocritical lot.

1 Like

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by Image123(m): 5:20am On Dec 10, 2014
Splashme:

I watched the video - his dark lips, dark gum, teeth, dark inner mouth . . . . hmmm[/size]

It's not a beauty pageant. We're talking about electing the right people to high places of government.

1 Like

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by akymme(m): 6:51am On Dec 10, 2014
Splashme:

When you are 71, I hope you will be confident enough to post your pinshure
Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by chamboy(m): 7:17am On Dec 10, 2014
unlimitedbosco:
and when i said gej will wallop dis man in a debate certain people wanted to cut my neck. Now they are singing a new anthem saying it not how u speak that matters but aw u work. Any man who cant tell us his ideas does not deserve d votes of right thinking nigerians
Did GEJ tell us his Ideas 2011
Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by tollu: 7:29am On Dec 10, 2014
Splashme:

Better he smokes weed than quaffing ogogoro as is GEJ's hobby.
Weed effects are way better than alcohol's
Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by unlimitedbosco: 8:22am On Dec 10, 2014
chamboy:
yes he did and if u are not blinded by hate u will c the giant nigeria has made
Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by Osakah24(m): 8:51am On Dec 10, 2014
Uchan4u:
GMB didn't show how he intends to move Nigeria forward in this interview. so many questions were not answered. I just see in this interview, that he is not well acquainted with happenings around the political corridors. He failed to understand that a military administration is autocratic... where the opinions of the head of states are laws and others. Nobody dares question him. In democracy the reverse is the case. From his response, I don't see him blending to the new system of democracy. Corruption has many faces... it takes a technocrat to understand corruption... with the way he is going he might land himself into a trap, where he can no longer exonerate himself from corruption.
Until this corruption that have be-deviled this country is extinquished we are not moving any forward.
Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by Amanwulu1(m): 9:25am On Dec 10, 2014
PapiWata:

Being unable to speak simple English that others can understand is NOT a requirement for anyone aspiring to become a local government sanitary inspector, so Buhari should consider running at that level of government, in his sandy desert village, where his speech impediment will be less likely to amuse observers.
but dis is d man some ppl are clamouring dat debate be organized btw him n gej. Na wa 4 some ppl o!

1 Like

Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by Amanwulu1(m): 9:28am On Dec 10, 2014
chamboy:
may b u're just showing interest in politics in 2014.
Re: Transcript Of Buhari's Interview On Channeltv's "Politics Today" by chamboy(m): 9:30am On Dec 10, 2014
unlimitedbosco:

yes he did and if u are not blinded by hate u will c the giant nigeria has made
Is it during his Oliver twist Debate with Dbanj

(1) (Reply)

Video of Nigerian Soldiers driving Boko Haram out of Bama / Acting Nimasa Dg Employs Daughter, Son In-law –pays N4.8million Transfer Allowan / Nigeria Is Doomed. Naira exchange rate with African countries as at 8 Feb, 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.