Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,991 members, 7,821,453 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went (28963 Views)

Bad Encounter;my Current Boss Was The HR Were I Went To For Oral Interview / His current MD was in the panel conducting the interview he went for! / Another Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by viczing(m): 10:58am On Dec 09, 2014
I received the invite for the interview the night before the D-day. The timing wasn’t ethical considering I applied for the job since May.
If I had my way, I would have ignored the invitation but 2015 is fast approaching and I was getting more desperate to be gainfully employed before the year runs out.

The company is located at the outskirts of Ojota. It took me one bus ride, one keke ride and a bike ride which cost a total of N400 to get there. Not to mention the early morning traffic I endured. I arrived at 8:30am against the 10am slated.

To stress how remote the location was, the network signal on my phone vanished when I got to the gate.

The company had no signboard, no cars were parked, the surroundings when unkempt… it could be easily mistaken for a residential building.

This better not be a ritualist den, I prayed silently.

I relaxed when a young lady emerged from a building best described as the company’s boys quarters and led me to the reception.

“The test would start by 10am” she said.

“Test? But I though its just interview?”

“There would be a 1st test, 2nd test and interview today.”

Very well. If they were going to be scrupulous in their recruitment process, it only meant one thing: THEY WERE GOING TO PAY GOOD MONEY!

By 10am, five other candidates joined me.

The exam sheet was sectioned in 30 quantitative reasoning questions aka patterns, 30 English questions and 40 tough GMAT questions.

The mathematics questions were not even multichoice. You have to work your way right to the answer without a calculator.

I solved most of the first two sections and did the little I could in the mathematics. Forty five minutes after, our answer sheets were gotten from us.

We were then assigned to different desktops where our knowledge in Ms tools were tested.

An hour later, the five candidates were screened out except me.

It felt too good to be true.

Then I was called in for the panel interview…

The so called panel was made of up the HR lady, the HR friend or whoever she was (she had no tag), the receptionist girl, one other random female staff and the gateman.

Except for the man, the rest of the team began firing me questions like I snatched their boyfriend or something.

“What are your weaknesses?” The HR said.

“But that’s not a weakness” The receptionist said.

“No No No! You can’t have only two weaknesses.” HR friend said.

“We want to know what are the bad things you secretly do but earnestly want to change?” The HR cut in again.

They were not going to shut up until I tell them my weakness is when I see a man, I start wriggling like an earthworm.

When it was the gateman turn to interrogate me, he said, “Wait o. Why did you study this kind of course in Nigeria?”

“Because I didn’t want to end up as a gateman.” That would have been my reply if I had no atom of humility.

At the end of the session, the HR excused everyone out except her friend.

“Can you resume next week Wednesday?” She said.

I nodded in affirmation.

“Your salary is N30,000. Any questions?”

I held myself from asking her why they tortured me with that sort of difficult exam and still went ahead to bring the company ancestors to interview me for a N30,000 job.

“No questions ma. See you on Wednesday.” I quipped sarcastically as I made my way out.

“One more thing” she added, “Its best you come on Monday so you can start processing your Sure-P internship application. Nobody here will do that for you. That’s where your salary would come from.”

I let out an inaudible sigh.

So technically, I was to do cheap labour in a nameless company for a position that wasn’t going to boost my résumé?

The 419 company wanted the best hands they could get yet they were not ready to spend one kobo of their money to train or motivate me.

I was so mad at myself for being the lab rat of a bullshit interview.

On my way home, I bought three cans of orijin in traffic and downed two carelessly in the bus amidst the stares from the passengers.

Just look at how uncivilised a bad day rendered me. SMH

This morning, an unfamiliar number called me.

“Its 8am. Are you not resuming work?”, a voice I recognised as the HR’s said.

Let’s assume I consider the offer:

Transport Monthly = 16800

2 cans of Orijin daily ( I would be needing this to keep my temper at bay before I go home and start smashing plates in rage) = 8400

One gala per day (abi I no go chop for work?) = 1050

Tithe = 3000

Subtract the total from N30000 and tell me in the comment box.

“Please I am not interested in your sure-Q offer. Thank you” I politely said and ended the call.

I am not the perfect employee, I may be a tad too desperate but that does not change the fact that I know my worth.
Culled from:[url]naijasinglegirl.com/na-wa/[/url]

281 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by Sirfrederick(m): 11:06am On Dec 09, 2014
Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by ITbomb(m): 11:08am On Dec 09, 2014
Lol, dem for do you medicals too nah

Hahaha, aptitude test for SURE-P job that they are not even contributing any kobo

If they have added at least 20k on top, it would have been considered

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by StPete: 11:11am On Dec 09, 2014
very interesting
Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by Nobody: 11:14am On Dec 09, 2014
@Seun We really need a ROTFL smiley o.

This is too funny.

30k job and they put you through the stress SHELL wouldn't even put you through?

28 Likes

Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by eph12(m): 11:27am On Dec 09, 2014
Some banks pay their marketers this you know and they pass thru much stress cry

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by ednut1(m): 11:29am On Dec 09, 2014
grin grin chai

2 Likes

Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by Kingrapha(m): 11:38am On Dec 09, 2014
dm bad ooooo grin

but u should lay of the orijin.... haba it ain't healty

3 Likes

Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by sholay2011(m): 11:49am On Dec 09, 2014
Eh eh grin grin
Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by Nobody: 12:07pm On Dec 09, 2014
You are very gentle.
Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by detutu1: 12:07pm On Dec 09, 2014
Rodfl....this z hilarious!!! too bad sha, u d expect a good remuneration from a company when the 'wahala' z too much...u shld v walked out...Wats d gateman s job in the interview room? the receptionist has no business dia either!...well, a better job is coming just laugh over it...at least u kno ur worth *winks* @viczing

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by agarawu23(m): 12:37pm On Dec 09, 2014
change ur heading to "labour job interview mistaken for a graduate interview "

nigeria n poverty sad

I once lived in tunisia (north africa) and I earn 70k monthly just to wash plate in restaurant.

guess how much i will earn if I was a graduate.

God will help our dear Nation.

modified : I presently earn $2740 monthly as an undergraduate and some fools will say no place like home. yes! its my home when NIGERIA IS BETTER

46 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by temisukanmi(f): 12:39pm On Dec 09, 2014
awwwwww!!! Sowie I feel ur pain shocked cry

1 Like

Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by Nobody: 1:02pm On Dec 09, 2014
I feel you. If you hadn't said no I would have encouraged you to use it as a place for hanging out as you continued your search. I once had a similar offer, I did not mind passing my time there, but the offer included some things tailored to systematically draw me into debt. The more I stayed, the more I would need to keep working off an increasing debt. It took time to hit me. About 5 days. It feels bad to be taken advantage of.

8 Likes

Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by Nobody: 1:03pm On Dec 09, 2014
Hahahahaha

Nobody shall go through this again BBG

You should have done medicals and fitness test too

But seriously how gateman interview person sad

Its just sad

I blame PDP for this tongue cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by ceospecial(m): 1:13pm On Dec 09, 2014
angry вυηċн σƒ єм єм... :-( му мσтнєʀ тσℓɗ мє ησт тσ αвυѕє αgαιη..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by Sleek05(f): 1:19pm On Dec 09, 2014
You write really well. I'm sure you'll get yourself something nice soon.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by Ishilove: 1:25pm On Dec 09, 2014
Hilarious. That's the tragedy of the labour market.
Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by justi4jesu(f): 1:27pm On Dec 09, 2014
It is well....@OP dont give up smiley
Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by condralbede(m): 1:28pm On Dec 09, 2014
its not a beanz to burst sixteen dear....
Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by iwriterng(m): 1:28pm On Dec 09, 2014
Ridiculous! condescending!, derogatory!, what else? Laughing out loud, right now.

2 Likes

Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by miqos02(m): 1:29pm On Dec 09, 2014
nice

Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by ToyozzieTohBad(f): 1:29pm On Dec 09, 2014
ok ooooo
Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by MizMyColi(f): 1:29pm On Dec 09, 2014
Brb
Reading cheesy

***Modified***

Hiohiohiohiohiohiohiohio

Just speechless.

Fine decision OP.

That Orijin part tho undecided undecided undecided undecided

[size=4pt]I just hate the brand name....too local imo[/size]
lipsrsealed
tongue
Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by pekeyim: 1:30pm On Dec 09, 2014
Sure -P, Ahh, Sure-P, Ahh Sure-P!!!

This is too funny.

Nigeria is the only Country a Graduate is suppose to know everything about Everything!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by intergral(m): 1:30pm On Dec 09, 2014
Make I chop lunch b4 I come read am
Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by HonourablePomk: 1:30pm On Dec 09, 2014
ok
Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by Nobody: 1:30pm On Dec 09, 2014
Hahahahahahaha

Very funny___ even gateman follow interview you? Nawa o
Reminds me of one I went for, mine was 12k gaan. I went the first day, by the time I was coming back___ the stress/dusty road done collect all my "fine-girl" finish.
I didn't show up the next day...lmao

Why you go dey drink Origin like that? Are you a drunkard? tongue

Lero15:
Pele

Lerooo
Is that all you can tell a brother ni?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Another Interview Gone Sour.......Wish I Never Went by Lero15(m): 1:31pm On Dec 09, 2014
Pele

Starting from somewhere doesn't translate to starting from anywhere
Imagine a gateman interviewing you. You might jst be employed as an errand boy.
Wetin eye never see for job palava.

May God help u in ur job search.

It is well.

10 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Federal Civil Service Commission Recruitment Extended (photo) / General Electric Africa Early Career Development Program- Finance, Nigeria / Airport Services Agents Job Recruitment At Qatar Airways

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.