Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,114 members, 7,811,133 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:41 AM

Myths And Facts Of Sexual Violence: The Rapists And The Victims - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Myths And Facts Of Sexual Violence: The Rapists And The Victims (1873 Views)

Husband Wants Divorce From Wife Because Of Sexual Starvation / LWTZE Announces War Against Domestic Violence - The Walk For 13th October / 5 Funny Facts Of Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Myths And Facts Of Sexual Violence: The Rapists And The Victims by AfricanApple(f): 12:21pm On Dec 10, 2014
Sexual violence/ rape is one of the scariest aspects of sexual pervasion. The UN General Assembly 1993 defined violence against women as any act of gender based violence that or is likely to result in physical, social or psychological harm including threats, coercion or arbitrary deprivation whether in public or private life.
There are different types of rape: date, acquaintance and marital rape, rape by strangers and gang rape.

AfricanApple:
There are lots of misconception about rape which if the facts are not known to possible victims, the devils will keep having their ways. Guys don't be lazy to read this, it just might help you in knowing how to save yourself against such situations

These are some of  the myths and facts of sexual violence

MYTH: rape victims are guilty of fornications

FACT: rape by definition takes place when force or threat is used to gain sexual penetration of any kind whatsoever, against a person's will. When a woman is forced to submit to a rapist out of terror or disorientation, it does not mean she consented to the act. Consent is based on choice.

MYTH: there is a misconception that rape is provoked by the victim and that a woman can ask to be raped wearing provocative clothing, letting a man pay her way or going to his home

FACT: the way a woman dresses do not give a man the right to force a woman to do something she does not want in reality. Being naive and ignorant does not mean a woman deserves to be raped. Rapists bear sole responsibility for the rape

MYTH: all rapists are not normal, they are maniacs, monsters and sick

FACT: many rapists have steady jobs and consensual relationship with wives, and girlfriends. Rapists are not loners they are capable of forming relationships and leading normal lives

MYTH: it is only strangers in the dark that are raped

FACTS: surveys indicate that about 60% of rapists are known to their victims

MYTH: if a person spends a lot of money on the opposite sex, he/she has right to have sex with the person

FACT: if a man buys you something, its his choice, you do not owe him a damn thing, least of all SEX

MYTH: women mean 'yes' when they say 'no'

FACT: when a woman says no she means no. There is no excuse for disregarding a woman's "no' to sex. If she wanted it, she would not allow herself to be coerced, forced or raped

MYTH: only beautiful women in mini skirts are raped

FACT: rapists choose their victim without regards to physical appearance. The victims are young and old, male and female, married and singles

MYTH: the victim could have stopped the rape

FACT: most rapists use their advantage to prevent victims from resisting successfully. They often threaten victims with weapons, termination of employment, loss of valuable belongings and harm to their children and their loved ones

Extracted from:
Stemming the tide of sexual violence/rape in our society by Oforune Endurance

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Myths And Facts Of Sexual Violence: The Rapists And The Victims by Nobody: 12:33pm On Dec 10, 2014
Kinda agree with most things summarised here, except of course

FACT: when a woman says no she means no. There is no excuse for disregarding a woman's "no' to sex. If she wanted it, she would not allow herself to be coerced, forced or raped

...and not in terms of se.x.

A great percentage of women actually mean "yes" when they say "no", and that can inform a man's insistence. That men extend it to se.x is certainly their (the men's) fault. However, women need to change that general perception of hesitation when deal or interact with men.
Re: Myths And Facts Of Sexual Violence: The Rapists And The Victims by Nobody: 2:45pm On Dec 10, 2014
space booked
Re: Myths And Facts Of Sexual Violence: The Rapists And The Victims by AfricanApple(f): 3:28pm On Dec 10, 2014
goofyuncut:
Kinda agree with most things summarised here, except of course

...and not in terms of se.x.

A great percentage of women actually mean "yes" when they say "no", and that can inform a man's insistence. That men extend it to se.x is certainly their (the men's) fault. However, women need to change that general perception of hesitation when deal or interact with men.
that's not true, this is where you guys get it wrong. if she eventually says yes to something she has been saying no, it doesnt mean that she didn't mean the no. we can always change our minds.

I could remember one guy on this forum long time ago, that requested to send me pm, I told him not to do it, and I meant it, amidst the guy's persistent something occurred that made me finally agreed

one thing is that, whether a person means it or not, what she/he told u is what u should respect, especially when it comes to sex. if what the person want is to say yes and she say no, she is definitely gonna be a loosed, not your own cup if tea.

let people who live in denial face the consequences of if

1 Like

Re: Myths And Facts Of Sexual Violence: The Rapists And The Victims by Nobody: 3:50pm On Dec 10, 2014
AfricanApple:
that's not true, this is where you guys get it wrong. if she eventually says yes to something she has been saying no, it doesnt mean that she didn't mean the no. we can always change our minds.
Therefore, she did not say yes, therefore, she was raaped! smh
Re: Myths And Facts Of Sexual Violence: The Rapists And The Victims by AfricanApple(f): 4:27pm On Dec 10, 2014
Timbuktou:
Therefore, she did not say yes, therefore, she was raaped! smh
even if you did not know the meaning of rape, at least I defined it in my post

or are you a rapist undecided

1 Like

Re: Myths And Facts Of Sexual Violence: The Rapists And The Victims by Nobody: 4:41pm On Dec 10, 2014
AfricanApple:
even if you did not know the meaning of rape, at least I defined it in my post

or are you a rapist undecided
Is your father a rapist or are you mad?

3 Likes

Re: Myths And Facts Of Sexual Violence: The Rapists And The Victims by AfricanApple(f): 4:54pm On Dec 10, 2014
Timbuktou:
Is my father a rapist or am i mad?
eya

2 Likes

Re: Myths And Facts Of Sexual Violence: The Rapists And The Victims by Nobody: 5:17pm On Dec 10, 2014
AfricanApple:
My father rayped me, and I love him for it
Damn.

2 Likes

Re: Myths And Facts Of Sexual Violence: The Rapists And The Victims by 5minsmadness: 6:16pm On Dec 10, 2014
Why do we like deceiving ourselves? The Whiteman comes and brainwashes us and just because the link or source is from the Whiteman then it must be true? Even when we see the situation with our two nak£d eyes and our brains tell us the truth, it is whatever the Whiteman tells us that we start following like zombies?

Damn. Oyibo people really did a number on the black race.

MYTH: there is a misconception that rape is provoked by the victim and that a woman can ask to be raped wearing provocative clothing, letting a man pay her way or going to his home

FACT: the way a woman dresses do not give a man the right to force a woman to do something she does not want in reality. Being naive and ignorant does not mean a woman deserves to be raped. Rapists bear sole responsibility for the rape

MEGABULLSHIT

MYTH: only beautiful women in mini skirts are raped

FACT: rapists choose their victim without regards to physical appearance. The victims are young and old, male and female, married and singles

Another MEGABULLSHIT
Re: Myths And Facts Of Sexual Violence: The Rapists And The Victims by 5minsmadness: 6:39pm On Dec 10, 2014

As for this, I have lost not one or two but three relationships because I acted like a gentleman and took the lady for her word when she said 'no'.
Ladies have a way of 'fronting' and saying no when they really mean yes. I don't know where they learnt it from, and I was falling prey for this trick until the second and third one told me months later that when I made a move on them and they said no and I stopped...they were disappointed! A lady is supposed to show some resistance, they edplained, so the guy doesn't see them as cheap. Silly me, once they said no I respected thier choice and moved on to other things, not knowing what they really meant was 'keep going'!

Ladies cant keep eating their cake and having it. It is either they chose one thing or the other and stop confusing us guys!

1 Like

Re: Myths And Facts Of Sexual Violence: The Rapists And The Victims by cococandy(f): 10:21pm On Dec 10, 2014
What has this got to do with the white man?
5minsmadness:
Why do we like deceiving ourselves? The Whiteman comes and brainwashes us and just because the link or source is from the Whiteman then it must be true? Even when we see the situation with our two nak£d eyes and our brains tell us the truth, it is whatever the Whiteman tells us that we start following like zombies?

Re: Myths And Facts Of Sexual Violence: The Rapists And The Victims by AfricanApple(f): 11:49pm On Dec 10, 2014
5minsmadness:

did the soap water that iya basira poured in your eyes stop u from seeing the name if the author? grin

that book was written by a Nigerian and i got it from the national library of Nigeria in the nigerianna section

you think everything posted here is actually from the net?

FYI, here is a post of mine to someone today
AfricanApple:
I'm well aware that they are copied from a website. but tell me, does that make them facts? does anything posted on the web automatically makes it true?

have u sit to think that the whites will always want the world to view them as the master they think they are? anything goes on the internet, you shouldn't always rush to believe them, give them some benefits of doubts, else they will always squeeze u inside bottle and lock it grin grin

they say they carried out a survey, we don't the people that did it, we don't know where they did it, we don't know the people they used as case study. robots are real u know undecided
I'm not an hypocrite. I don't just believe everything

come to think of it, the fact that not everything a white man said is true does not make everything they say lies. we should just be open minded. okay?
Re: Myths And Facts Of Sexual Violence: The Rapists And The Victims by AfricanApple(f): 11:56pm On Dec 10, 2014
5minsmadness:

As for this, I have lost not one or two but three relationships because I acted like a gentleman and took the lady for her word when she said 'no'.
Ladies have a way of 'fronting' and saying no when they really mean yes. I don't know where they learnt it from, and I was falling prey for this trick until the second and third one told me months later that when I made a move on them and they said no and I stopped...they were disappointed! A lady is supposed to show some resistance, they edplained, so the guy doesn't see them as cheap. Silly me, once they said no I respected thier choice and moved on to other things, not knowing what they really meant was 'keep going'!

Ladies cant keep eating their cake and having it. It is either they chose one thing or the other and stop confusing us guys!
when they say no, let it always remain no, if they leave uvcos of that, they are the loosers

why are u complaining about loosing people who are scared to show their feelings? how will u even cope with them

@emboldened, any woman who tells u that, has one single to herself hypocrite of what difference does it make when he knows you want it and only resisting to pretend decency. you don't want to be perceived as cheap, why not hold yourself till your wedding night. only girls with low mentality do such thing

(1) (Reply)

What's Your Take On This? / Mbok! Tonto Dikeh-Obasanjo? / My Mother Is Gone.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.