Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,151 members, 7,811,292 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:26 AM

Buhari Was A Corrupt Dictator? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Was A Corrupt Dictator? (603 Views)

AIT Reacts To Allegation Of Closing Down Poll Website Because Buhari Was Leading / AIT Takes Down Online Poll Where Buhari Was Trouncing Jonathan / 1985 Newspaper Story Created After Buhari Was Toppled (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Was A Corrupt Dictator? by Frankenstein: 10:03am On Dec 12, 2014
I'm normally a non-partisan, interested only in disproving falsehoods made by supporters of political groups.

But recently, I have been coming across this particular mantra sung by Buhari supporters about the man being the face of anti-corruption. Without any proof provided by these people, I therefore went digging to unearth the facts about his regime and service to Nigeria.

What I discovered is connected to the then accusation of smuggling suitcases out of the country. Take a look...

‘Insurmountable economic problems plagued the Buhari
regime as petroleum prices collapsed in the face of
expanding foreign debt. Buhari instituted austerity
measures that caused severe hardship to the average
Nigerian. In addition, political corruption continued
unabated, with politicians escaping to Western countries
with millions of dollars in government money. In an effort
to stop dissension, Buhari instituted restrictions on the
press, political freedoms, and trade unionists.
By August
1985 even the military had had enough, and Ibrahim
Babangida took control of the government. Buhari was
detained in Benin City but was released at the end of
1988'.

I'll also like to be educated on the details of how Buhari intends to fix a democratic Nigeria with his methods from the 80’s… Mature arguments, no insults
Re: Buhari Was A Corrupt Dictator? by Frankenstein: 10:24am On Dec 12, 2014
Seun... Frontpage please.
Re: Buhari Was A Corrupt Dictator? by holatin(m): 10:26am On Dec 12, 2014
Have u eaten this morning ?
Cus your heading don't go along with your post.
Try to eat man
Re: Buhari Was A Corrupt Dictator? by Infomizer(m): 10:44am On Dec 12, 2014
I'm apolitical too and I know that no one is a saint. I once saw a documentary about Buhari's involvement in Dikko's attempted kidnap from the UK back then. I think many of his supporters are aware, but people just want change! As in, change!!! Whether it turns out good or bad, history will tell. But methinks many Nigerians are fed up with the present political status quo. Any form of change is acceptable.
#CandidOpinion

1 Like

Re: Buhari Was A Corrupt Dictator? by Frankenstein: 11:03am On Dec 12, 2014
Infomizer:
I'm apolitical too and I know that no one is a saint. I once saw a documentary about Buhari's involvement in Dikko's attempted kidnap from the UK back then. I think many of his supporters are aware, but people just want change! As in, change!!! Whether it turns out good or bad, history will tell. But methinks many Nigerians are fed up with the present political status quo. Any form of change is acceptable.
#CandidOpinion
I like the way you put it. But I'll only call for a change if continuity can be maintained in part.
Re: Buhari Was A Corrupt Dictator? by Infomizer(m): 11:41am On Dec 12, 2014
Frankenstein:
I like the way you put it. But I'll only call for a change if continuity can be maintained in part.
It largely depends on what is being continued. Logically, working policies, yes. However, the present atmosphere is rife with ineptitude in so many areas. These things are known, and that's what many people don't want to continue.

(1) (Reply)

Yourba's/hausa(muslims) Are Calling For "CHANGE", Igbo's/ss Folks Want "CHANGE" / Nigerians Are Like The Isrealites! / Godwin Alabi-isama Blast Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.