Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,919 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

Highlight On Muhammadu BUHARI - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Highlight On Muhammadu BUHARI (1225 Views)

ْ / Rtd. Gen. Aliyu Gusau's Reply On Muhammadu Buhari's WASC / IBB Endorses Muhammadu Buhari For President - SaharaReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Highlight On Muhammadu BUHARI by Whalewale(m): 1:24pm On Dec 12, 2014
Good day Nairalanders,

"Having been reading a lot of comments on this forum about the on-going political campaign, I decided to do a summary of Mohammed Buhari's history in Politics so nairalanders are more enlightened. Since now we clearly know the candidates for next year... GEJ and GMB!!

"Muhammadu Buhari (born December 17, 1942) is a Nigerian politician and a retired Major General in the Nigerian Army who was the military ruler of Nigeria from December 31, 1983 to August 27, 1985. The term Buharism is ascribed to the Buhari military government. He also ran unsuccessfully for the office of the President of Nigeria in the 2003, 2007 and 2011 elections. His ethnic background is Fulani, and his faith is Islam; he is a native of Daura in Katsina State of Nigeria.

His actions towards discipline

"His administration subsequently initiated a public campaign against indiscipline known as "War Against Indiscipline" (WAI). Aspects of this campaign included public humiliation of civil servants who arrived late for work whilst guards were armed with whips to ensure orderly queues at bus stops

His actions towards economic stability

"His government is revered for its ability to keep the country afloat by making progress through sheer economic ingenuity even when it rejected IMF loan and refused to adopt IMF conditionalities to devalue the Naira. His government is praised for its gain in reducing inflation by refusing to devalue the nation's currency, the Nigerian Naira, curbing imports of needless goods, curtailing oil theft and using counter trade policy to barter seized illegally bunkered crude oil for needful goods like machineries, enabling it to export above its OPEC quota

His actions towards corruption

"Corruption was said to have been at its lowest ebb in the Buhari/Idiagbon regime), Buhari's political notion was based on an anti-corruption platform and struggled to remove immunity protections from government officials

"Buhari's admirers believe that he was overthrown by corrupt elements in his government who were afraid of being brought to justice as his policies were beginning to yield tangible dividends in terms of public discipline, curbing corruption, lowering inflation, enhancing workforce and improving productivity
The public fully backed their assault on the corrupt elite, if not their methods. The trials and WAI (War against Indicipline) campaign also had a psychological impact on other “don’t know how he got rich” individuals in Nigeria. For the first time in Nigeria’s history it became unwise for those with ill gotten to flaunt their wealth – for fear of attracting the attention of Buhari’s anti-corruption drive.
Among those convicted were prominent politicians such as Anthony Enahoro and Jim Nwobodo. The tribunals effectively put Nigeria’s political elite in jail.

Later years as PTF Chairman

"Buhari served as the Chairman of the Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF), a body created by the government of General Abacha, and funded from the revenue generated by the increase in price of petroleum products, to pursue developmental projects around the country. A 1998 report in New African praised the PTF under Buhari for its transparency, calling it a rare "success story"

His view on Bokoharam

"In May 2014, in the wake of the 2014 Chibok kidnapping, Buhari strongly denounced the Boko Haram insurgency. He "urged Nigerians to put aside politics and all other divisions to crush the insurgency he said is fanned by mindless bigots masquerading as Muslims"

Buharism
"Buharism rejected the forceful approach of the Washington Consensus, but rather held that for a crisis-wrecked country to successfully improve its Balance of Payments through devaluation, there must first exist a condition that the price of every country’s export is denominated in its own currency. As such condition do not exist, Buharism believed that, for any country that Washington Consensus conditions do not exist clearly enough, there are alternate and superior approaches to solving the problem of its economic crisis. Therefore, instead of applying devaluation to get the then crisis-wrecked Economy of Nigeria back on track, Buharism rather employed a policy of curbing imports of needless goods, curtailing oil theft and improving exports through counter trade policy of bartering seized illegally bunkered crude oil for needful goods like machineries, enabling it to export above its OPEC quota"

Source Wikipedia

Thank you
Re: Highlight On Muhammadu BUHARI by DesChyko: 1:27pm On Dec 12, 2014
#following#..

I can see numbers in the post. Should we expect references also?
Re: Highlight On Muhammadu BUHARI by Whalewale(m): 1:29pm On Dec 12, 2014
DesChyko:
#following#..

I can see numbers in the post. Should we expect references also?

Corrected..
Re: Highlight On Muhammadu BUHARI by balash(m): 1:45pm On Dec 12, 2014
I will vote him but W.A.I creation again can't be appereciated O! If any madman wear green uniform use whip beat me because I no line up well for bus stop, one person go die between us that day..

Take care of the country well and make us proud to say we are nigerians and enjoying dividends of been a nigerian and we will respect ourself.. But a madman whip me for street unto say he be W.A.I ?? The beat I go give am ehn? Na buhari go come collect am for my hand last last..
Re: Highlight On Muhammadu BUHARI by Whalewale(m): 2:02pm On Dec 12, 2014
balash:
I will vote him but W.A.I creation again can't be appereciated O! If any madman wear green uniform use whip beat me because I no line up well for bus stop, one person go die between us that day..

Take care of the country well and make us proud to say we are nigerians and enjoying dividends of been a nigerian and we will respect ourself.. But a madman whip me for street unto say he be W.A.I ?? The beat I go give am ehn? Na buhari go come collect am for my hand last last..

I feel your pain bro.
Re: Highlight On Muhammadu BUHARI by Whalewale(m): 2:03pm On Dec 12, 2014
I think everyone should read this write-up by Max Siollun

http://www.dawodu.com/siollun3.htm

Buhari and Idiagbon:
A Missed Opportunity for Nigeria

Mods please can we move this to front page so people are informed. Thanks
Re: Highlight On Muhammadu BUHARI by WORLDPEACE(m): 2:53pm On Dec 12, 2014
Whalewale:
I think everyone should read this write-up by Max Siollun

http://www.dawodu.com/siollun3.htm

Buhari and Idiagbon:
A Missed Opportunity for Nigeria

Mods please can we move this to front page so people are informed. Thanks
Thanks for the link. It was an interesting read.
Re: Highlight On Muhammadu BUHARI by Whalewale(m): 3:28pm On Dec 12, 2014
WORLDPEACE:

Thanks for the link. It was an interesting read.

You are welcome
Re: Highlight On Muhammadu BUHARI by DesChyko: 6:08pm On Dec 12, 2014
Doesn't he have any 'bad' side?
Re: Highlight On Muhammadu BUHARI by Dannyset(m): 6:15pm On Dec 12, 2014
Let's sweep out corruption.
We need CHANGE.

Re: Highlight On Muhammadu BUHARI by Whalewale(m): 6:01pm On Dec 31, 2014
DesChyko:
Doesn't he have any 'bad' side?

Sorry for the late reply.

My reply to your question is; Yes and Know.

I would say that cos "no one is perfect"... Click on the link i posted earlier in the thread to read a detailed article about the People's General
Re: Highlight On Muhammadu BUHARI by Whalewale(m): 6:05pm On Dec 31, 2014
Dannyset:
Let's sweep out corruption.
We need CHANGE.

YES OOOOO!!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Sweetjoy:buhari claim he attend US war college,he should obey international law / Obanikoro Can't Be Minister, Has Dual Citizenship - Group / A Must See Photo(very Funny)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.