Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,446 members, 7,812,353 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:10 PM

Obanikoro Can't Be Minister, Has Dual Citizenship - Group - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obanikoro Can't Be Minister, Has Dual Citizenship - Group (1222 Views)

A Nigerian In Germany Wanted To Renounce His Nigerian Citizenship & Got This / Kemi Adeosun Declared Not Fit To Be Minister / Tinubu Doesn’t Want Fashola To Be Minister – PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obanikoro Can't Be Minister, Has Dual Citizenship - Group by Nobody: 3:10am On Feb 24, 2015
A civil society group, All Nigeria Save Democracy Movement, has kicked against the ministerial nomination of former Peoples Democratic Party Lagos State governorship aspirant, Senator Musliu Obanikoro, by President Goodluck Jonathan.

The group, in a petition to the Senate President, David Mark, through Senators Gbenga Ashafa and Obafemi Ojudu, listed several reasons Obanikoro was not qualified to become a minister, a statement said on Sunday.

According to the group, Obanikoro is of dual citizenship-USA and Nigeria - and going by the provisions of the constitution, he should be disqualified for the post.

It said, "Section 147 (5) of the Constitution, as amended, provides that no person shall be appointed as a minister of the government of the federation unless he is qualified for election as a member of the House of Representatives.

"Section 66 (1) (a) of the Constitution also states that no person shall be qualified for election to the Senate or the House of Representatives if - subject to the provisions of Section 28 of the Constitution, he has voluntarily acquired the citizenship to a country other than Nigeria or, except in such cases as may be prescribed by the National Assembly, has made a declaration of allegiance to such a country

"These provisions are so clear as to remove any ambiguity as to the spirit and letter of their constitutional/legal implications. By these provisions alone, Musiliu Obanikoro was not even qualified in the first instance to run for the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, but managed to manipulate the system to get himself elected into the Senate in 1999, which in itself was fraudulent and criminal. As a matter of fact, his title of senator should be nullified having obtained same fraudulently."

Obanikoro had on October 15, 2014 resigned his ministerial appointment from the present administration in a bid to contest the governorship primary of the PDP in Lagos, which he lost to his rival, Jimi Agbaje.

After the loss, he was nominated the second time by the President for another ministerial position.
http://odili.net/news/source/2015/feb/23/846.html
Re: Obanikoro Can't Be Minister, Has Dual Citizenship - Group by GboyegaD(m): 3:13am On Feb 24, 2015
In as much as I do not support Obanikoro been appointed a minister, the dual citizenship thing holds no weight for me. Is he the 1st Nigerian to hold a dual citizenship in power? I
Re: Obanikoro Can't Be Minister, Has Dual Citizenship - Group by Nobody: 3:16am On Feb 24, 2015
Thank God
Re: Obanikoro Can't Be Minister, Has Dual Citizenship - Group by Nobody: 3:17am On Feb 24, 2015
GboyegaD:
In as much as I do not support Obanikoro been appointed a minister, the dual citizenship thing holds no weight for me. Is he the 1st Nigerian to hold a dual citizenship in power? I
are u daft? Didnt you read the part where the constitution says u must not be of dual citizenship?
Re: Obanikoro Can't Be Minister, Has Dual Citizenship - Group by Nobody: 3:20am On Feb 24, 2015
The constitution also forbids Governors and Deputy governors from holding dual citizenship.
For the records, Governor Ajimobi of Oyo state is merely a permanent resident (green card holder) of the United States. He isn't a US citizen.
Re: Obanikoro Can't Be Minister, Has Dual Citizenship - Group by nduchucks: 3:29am On Feb 24, 2015

Section 66 (1) (a) of the Constitution also states that no person shall be qualified for election to the Senate or the House of Representatives if - subject to the provisions of Section 28 of the Constitution, he has voluntarily acquired the citizenship to a country other than Nigeria or, except in such cases as may be prescribed by the National Assembly, has made a declaration of allegiance to such a country.

It is noteworthy that Section 66 above apllies conditionally to wit subject to the provisions of Section 28 of the Constitution. na here wey ogbanje lawyers go dabaru everything.

You see, section 28 applies only to people who are not citizens of Nigeria by birth.

Let the lawyering begin! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Obanikoro Can't Be Minister, Has Dual Citizenship - Group by Nobody: 3:43am On Feb 24, 2015
nduchucks:

It is noteworthy that Section 66 above apllies conditionally to wit subject to the provisions of Section 28 of the Constitution. na here wey ogbanje lawyers go dabaru everything.

You see, section 28 applies only to people who are not citizens of Nigeria by birth.

Let the lawyering begin! cheesy

If Obanikoro isn't a Nigerian citizen by birth, then section 28 doesn't apply to him. His nomination should be withdrawn.
Re: Obanikoro Can't Be Minister, Has Dual Citizenship - Group by nduchucks: 3:45am On Feb 24, 2015
I agree, but Obanikoro is a citizen by birth.
Re: Obanikoro Can't Be Minister, Has Dual Citizenship - Group by Nobody: 3:48am On Feb 24, 2015
nduchucks:
I agree, but Obanikoro is a citizen by birth.
Yes. That means sections 66 and 145 are applicable to him.
Re: Obanikoro Can't Be Minister, Has Dual Citizenship - Group by nduchucks: 3:50am On Feb 24, 2015
CFCfan:

Yes. That means sections 66 and 145 are applicable to him.

My mistake. Since Koro is a citizen by birth, section 28 does not apply to him, hence section 66 doesn't either. no?
Re: Obanikoro Can't Be Minister, Has Dual Citizenship - Group by lomaxx: 4:36am On Feb 24, 2015
nduchucks:

My mistake. Since Koro is a citizen by birth, section 28 does not apply to him, hence section 66 doesn't either. no?

You mind Nigerians?

I've never seen a group of people with a passion to fault finding and pull-him-down syndrome.
Re: Obanikoro Can't Be Minister, Has Dual Citizenship - Group by GboyegaD(m): 4:39am On Feb 24, 2015
soe:
are u daft? Didnt you read the part where the constitution says u must not be of dual citizenship?

No, I am not daft and thank you for asking this question because it shows you are objective if I judge you right.

Truth is as it is, many of our technocrats cum governors, commissioners, ministers, senators, amongst others have dual citizenship and any group who feels the constitution should be followed to the latter in this case should list them all. Stop supporting groups who from the basis of their arguments are biased. If they think Obanikoro has a dual citizenship and shouldn't be made a minister, they should make a list of others that are guilty and call for their resignation and then, I will take them more serious.
Re: Obanikoro Can't Be Minister, Has Dual Citizenship - Group by tit(f): 4:42am On Feb 24, 2015
Even the office of president has this "loop-hole".
We may get a president who is also a citizen of another country.

1 Like

Re: Obanikoro Can't Be Minister, Has Dual Citizenship - Group by Orunto: 6:09am On Feb 24, 2015
NASS makes Laws Not Interprete Laws. The Protesters of Obanikoro should go to Court to get a Declaration that Obanikoro is guilty of dual citizenship and cannot be a Minister of Nigeria, the Land of his Parents. The Court's Declaration, they shall send to NASS to support their protest.

2 Likes

Re: Obanikoro Can't Be Minister, Has Dual Citizenship - Group by Nobody: 9:12am On Feb 24, 2015
GboyegaD:

No, I am not daft and thank you for asking this question because it shows you are objective if I judge you right.

Truth is as it is, many of our technocrats cum governors, commissioners, ministers, senators, amongst others have dual citizenship and any group who feels the constitution should be followed to the latter in this case should list them all. Stop supporting groups who from the basis of their arguments are biased. If they think Obanikoro has a dual citizenship and shouldn't be made a minister, they should make a list of others that are guilty and call for their resignation and then, I will take them more serious.
it is like saying, befor you arrest one thief, its only fair to catch all the thieves at the same time .

There is always a thing called precedence.

Deal with Obanikoro..and that creates a platform for scrutiny of the others (especially that Fani Fani who may be eyeing a miniaterial slot).

Besides, the law might have been snubbed because we value the other technocrats...but Obanikoro has proven to be totally uncouth

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Photograph: Governor Rotimi Amaechi Pictured Making A Woman's Hair / FINALLY! President Jonathan, Buhari Accept Town Hall Meeting Debates / March 29 - May 29, 2015: Our Hope, Fear And Jubilation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.