Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

Shocking:english Words You Didn't Know Were Borrowed From Other Languages. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Shocking:english Words You Didn't Know Were Borrowed From Other Languages. (1191 Views)

15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. / Nigerian Words You Thought Were English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shocking:english Words You Didn't Know Were Borrowed From Other Languages. by Esdb(m): 8:50pm On Dec 12, 2014
The english language is filled of borrowed words from other languages. Some have been so long part of the language since the Norman Conquest, that they are no longer thought of as being foreign words. The process however goes on, and recent borrowings include glasnost and perestroika from russian. Below are languages, and words borrowed from them.

The english language is filled of borrowed words from other languages. Some have been so long part of the language since the Norman Conquest, that they are no longer thought of as being foreign words. The process however goes on, and recent borrowings include glasnost and perestroika from russian. Below are languages, and words borrowed from them.

Italian
Words relating to music and art, food etc are mostly borrowed from this language they include: piano,libretto, opera, soprano, tempo, corridor, fresco, niche, parapet, macaroni, pasta, semolina and spaghetti.

Dutch
Words acquired relates to ships and sea since they ferry a lot. These include: yatch, cruise, deck, skipper.
Through the Dutch/Afrikasns connection we have borrowed apartheid,boss and trek.

German
We have borrowed dachshund, hamster, frankfurter, kindergarten and waltz. As well as words relating to ww2, blitz flak and strafe.

Norse and the scandinavian

Includes: egg, dirt, glitter, kick, law, odd, skill, take, they, though, ski slalom.

Celtic
Bannock, bog, brogue, cairn, crag, slogan, whisky.

Arabian
Algebra, alkali, ghoul, hazard, mohair, safari,scarlet, assassin, apricot,almanac,talisman.

Indian
Bungalow,chutney,dinghy,dungarees,gymkhana,jungle,pundit,shampoo,pakora,poppadom,samosa etc.

South american
From here as come: avocado,chocolate,chilli,potato, tobacco and tomato.

Hebrew
Alphabet,camel,cinnamon,maudlin.

Yiddish
Shmuck, chutzpah,schmaltz,bagel.

[B]North American[/b]
Kayak,anorak, raccoon, toboggan. From the aboriginal language have come: kangaroo, boomerang.

Japanese
Judo, bonsai,tycoon.

Rattan from malay and kungfu, ginseng and sampan from chinese.

With britain becoming more of a cosmopolitan and multi-cultural nation, the borrowing is increasing.
Re: Shocking:english Words You Didn't Know Were Borrowed From Other Languages. by Beesluv: 8:52pm On Dec 12, 2014
There will soon be a Nigerian dictionary
Re: Shocking:english Words You Didn't Know Were Borrowed From Other Languages. by IKJ66(m): 8:53pm On Dec 12, 2014
Ok sir !!!!
Re: Shocking:english Words You Didn't Know Were Borrowed From Other Languages. by Movesz(m): 8:57pm On Dec 12, 2014
Beesluv:
There will soon be a Nigerian dictionary
na you wan produce ham? :p
Re: Shocking:english Words You Didn't Know Were Borrowed From Other Languages. by Beesluv: 9:05pm On Dec 12, 2014
Movesz:
na you wan produce ham? :p
Looking for a partner. Hope you wouldn't mind to join me
Re: Shocking:english Words You Didn't Know Were Borrowed From Other Languages. by Nobody: 9:09pm On Dec 12, 2014
with the population of africans in America and Europe they failed to forcefully gve them words to burrow.
I think u need to dig more. wrds like IRA, EWE
Pure yoruba wrds
Re: Shocking:english Words You Didn't Know Were Borrowed From Other Languages. by amunkita(m): 9:13pm On Dec 12, 2014
America military university borrow d name frm d igbo word AMU......
Re: Shocking:english Words You Didn't Know Were Borrowed From Other Languages. by Movesz(m): 9:14pm On Dec 12, 2014
Beesluv:

Looking for a partner. Hope you wouldn't mind to join me
only if you were a chick,..
Re: Shocking:english Words You Didn't Know Were Borrowed From Other Languages. by Beesluv: 9:38pm On Dec 12, 2014
Movesz:
only if you were a chick,..

What do chick or chicken have to do with publishing of dictionary? I'm hermaphrodite.. tongue
Re: Shocking:english Words You Didn't Know Were Borrowed From Other Languages. by Maccoy1(m): 9:48pm On Dec 12, 2014
You forgot this ones
[b]
Nigeria
[/b]
"Adonbilivit"
"Akanbi" ur hero
my mummy "iyaf"
Re: Shocking:english Words You Didn't Know Were Borrowed From Other Languages. by motherlode: 11:01pm On Dec 12, 2014
Thanks @op to be sincere i never knew as much as this before! cheesy i only know of schandefreude and okra grin
Re: Shocking:english Words You Didn't Know Were Borrowed From Other Languages. by missdebs(f): 8:03am On Dec 13, 2014
most english words where actually gotten from greek
Re: Shocking:english Words You Didn't Know Were Borrowed From Other Languages. by Movesz(m): 8:41am On Dec 13, 2014
Beesluv:

What do chick or chicken have to do with publishing of dictionary? I'm hermaphrodite.. tongue
sorry ..i only do girls..buh if you have a fine sister we can still partner sha..if she is willin 2 hangout.

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Cultism Situation Like In Your School / Guess Which Subject??? / How I Escaped Through A Deadly Riot Along FUTA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.