Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,501 members, 7,812,552 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:14 PM

Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) (5135 Views)

PHOTOS: See What They Did To An Ambrose Ali University Graduate / Humiliation Of A University Graduate On Graduation Day (Pictures) / National Open University Of Nigeria 2011/2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by bilms(m): 9:18am On Dec 13, 2014
I decided to write my story to encourage other National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) graduates share their experience.
Feel free to share and write yours.

UNTIL THE END
(An account of my life and struggle while studying at the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN))

My names are Abdulrazaq Oyebanji Hamzat popularly known as Mr.rights. Am called Mr.Rights not because am always right, but because am always standing for truth and human rights.

Although, it is almost impossible to give the complete account of my life as a student of Open university without writing a book, this is so because of my multitasking and multi-engaging activities. However, I shall try to give summary of major events in the course of my study.
It all started in 2007, i heard about the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) in Abuja and without doubting the integrity of the institution, I enrolled right away.
The school also didn’t disappoint me, as after few months of my application, here comes my admission letter. You are offered a provisional admission to study B.Sc. Communication Technology my letter reads and i said to myself, congratulations.
I applied for Communication Technology and I was offered my admission without any stress or help from any quarters. It is almost unbelievable. That’s the quality of the institution, making you do the unbelievable.
In other schools across the country, students pay bribe to get admission, making them start on a faulty foundation, but in Open University, we start with truth and sincerity. This is a major credit and way to start with the right mind set. No lobbying, no begging, you don’t have to know anyone, you chose your desired course and gbam, you get it. The process is 100% open, fair and credible. This is the kind of spirit that can build a good and prosperous society.
Unlike many other students at that time, NOUN is the first higher institution I ever enrolled in to study after my secondary school. I never did Jamb or applied to any school prior to NOUN, I knew from day one, NOUN is first of its kind and by being a student in the institution, I am positively and uniquely special.
Although, many people discouraged me. Some family members and even friends. I also have learned people who are Doctors, accountants etc who tried to convince me to drop the idea of studying at the Open university, but my mind was made up, its NOUN or nothing.

To be continue

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by Nobody: 6:07pm On Dec 13, 2014
bilms:
Coming soon

meaning ??
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by amakufrancis(m): 6:10pm On Dec 13, 2014
bilms:
Coming soon
i smell nollywood movie

1 Like

Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by bilms(m): 10:22pm On Dec 13, 2014
here
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by ellalina(f): 10:23pm On Dec 13, 2014
Forget the story and make youe point
There are many noun students on this forum

1 Like

Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by bilms(m): 11:26pm On Dec 13, 2014
its just a story, there is no point.

1 Like

Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by bilms(m): 7:56am On Dec 14, 2014
K
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by ednut1(m): 8:25am On Dec 14, 2014
Students pay bribe to get admissions indeed, see generalization.
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by bilms(m): 9:31am On Dec 14, 2014
Don't they?
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by Wisepac: 11:14am On Dec 14, 2014
alaye write d tin wey u wan jawey. make I no maybe person go gain knowledge from it or I should move to another thread

1 Like

Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by ednut1(m): 11:29am On Dec 14, 2014
bilms:
Don't they?
some pay some dont, some use runs. Sum use merit. Some by God. Which ever way u use. If u work hard in school u go make am. This ur NOUN u guys dey see jobs from big firms?
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by bilms(m): 12:46pm On Dec 14, 2014
Why not
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by rioemmanuel(m): 2:03pm On Dec 14, 2014
bilms:
Why not
Where do you work
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by ednut1(m): 3:34pm On Dec 14, 2014
rioemmanuel:
Where do you work
grin
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by 100Cents: 3:35pm On Dec 14, 2014
So this thread has turned argument ?

He is my decision.

Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by Kazrem(m): 3:56pm On Dec 14, 2014
Wisepac:
alaye write d tin wey u wan jawey. make I no maybe person go gain knowledge from it or I should move to another thread
Abi. All these bla bla bla no concern us.
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by Kazrem(m): 4:11pm On Dec 14, 2014
Wisepac:
Abi oooo. All this bla bla bla no concern us.
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by bilms(m): 9:59pm On Dec 14, 2014
huh
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by bilms(m): 10:13pm On Dec 14, 2014
Some people might ask me, why Communication Technology?
While I was a child, I attended Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria (F.A.A.N) Staff School in Kano state, and as a result of my constant encounter with airport,pilots and aeroplane, I had developed interest in being a pilot. But as I grew up, I learn that there are many ways to fly without being a pilot. Gradually, my interest in pilot faded away. I later thought of studying petrol Chemical Engineering, but it also didn’t see the light. I eventually find myself in computer related activities and i was enjoying it. I thought studying Computer Science is my way.
Before applying to NOUN, I along with some friends had established a small I.T firm (IDE-links Ltd). So, when I saw the list of courses being studied at Open University, 3 courses caught my attention. 1. Computer Science. 2. Information Technology. 3. Communication Technology.
Upon inquiry, Information Technology was reserved for only Masters student, though I saw it as unique and interesting. But when I saw that Computer science is already a popular course, I feel going for Communication Technology would be the best,coupled with my I.T firm, its going to be a good match. Since i have an IT firm, i should be studying ICT. I believe after studying Communication Technology for degree, I would study Information Technology for Masters. For me, it’s a wise choice.
On my provisional admission letter, there are steps to be taken to register myself as a NOUN student. I have to prepare some of my documents, make 3 photocopies of each and then proceed to Abuja Study centre for screening. I did all that and here I am, before NOUN counselor, Mrs Omuya, I forgot her saw name.
She took my documents and after looking for some time, she said no, this is not correct.
She turned to me and said, you are qualified. Mrs Omuya explained that, you were not offered a full degree in this admission letter, you were offered Access, more like a pre-degree. Access in Open university is a situation where a student want to study a particular course without having the required Olevel credit passes needed to study it. Instead of turning you down or rejecting you admission out-rightly, NOUN will offer you admission on access (pre-degree). As a Jonny Just Come (JJC), I didn’t notice the access thing, though I saw it, but didn’t know its meaning. You will have to do the access for 1 year to cover the courses in which you had deficiency in your O level before proceeding with your full degree. This is related to the foundation year courses being done in United Kingdom. If you have deficiency in any course in your O level, you will have to do a foundation year course for 1 year to remedy your deficiency before proceeding to your full degree. The same happens in Open university. The school doesn’t deny people admission because of a deficiency, rather, they help you remedy that deficiency by giving them opportunity to improve. I wish all Nigerian schools are like that.
In my O level result, I passed all courses except Mathematics. The result was missing, though i had B in further maths. Before my application, I inquire if further maths can be used in place of Maths and I was told yes, since further maths is even more admiring I was told. But based on my admission, the school obviously didn’t accept my further maths in place of maths which warrant me being given admission on access basis,but the counselor felt it shouldn’t be so. She said you are qualified for full degree, your result is fine, though maths was missing, but you had good grade in further maths. Don’t worry she said, I will register you for full degree. Take, she gave me a form to fill to indicate to the school that I was wrongly given access, I took it. Filled and returned it within seconds. I was registered for full degree, paid some fees and the study began.
To be continued

1 Like

Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by bilms(m): 10:21am On Dec 15, 2014
Hum
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by bilms(m): 7:48pm On Dec 15, 2014
cheesy
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by bilms(m): 7:05am On Dec 16, 2014
I came into NOUN proud,purposeful and visionary. While there are challenges obstructing mine and the school’s vision, I knew we (I and the management) can solve it together. I meet many interesting young lads and we all have one purpose, to do what we can to better our lives and that of our country. Ordinarily, I registered late and I wasn’t expected to be part of any student leadership, but because in me, there exist a relentless struggle towards seeking a perfect atmosphere of learning. I love to struggle for my own seek and for the seek of others. I invested a lot of time and energy in knowing about the school and many other information i believe could be helpful to students. I give out these info to ensure that students don’t make mistakes. I carry everyone along and in my little way and soon, lots of my colleague rely on me for any vital guidance or information about school, instead of going to the school for information, they come to me. While there already exist a class governor known by the management, everyone seems to be connected to me due to my natural ability to take responsibility. Soon, I was made the assistant class governor. But as if that wasn’t enough, virtually every student in school of Science and Technology seems to be connected to me and some how, i can’t really remember how, i was known as the governor of the school of science and technology after just few months in the school.
Additionally, sharing information with my colleagues in school is not my only hobby, instead, I took it upon myself to educate Nigerians through the various online medium.
I became active and vibrant online, dishing out vital information to the public and recruiting students for NOUN. I was always online, correcting wrong perception about the school, answering questions from people both prospective and existing students. I have my phone number and email address all over the internet. Many people through the largest African website, www.nairaland.com most have came across my number, we may have spoken. Since 2008 till date, hardly can one day pass without me receiving at least 1 call, seeking information about NOUN. Some times, I get up to 10 calls in a single day, they call me day and night. Some flash me and only to call back and they said they want ask question about NOUN. Without trying to exaggerate, I would say that, I have through my numerous engagements online, directed over 1000 students to become NOUN students. This apart from providing vital information to existing students. In fact, I recall that through my online activities, many who had earlier withdrew from the school due to many complains and lack of adequate information and response from the school re-enrolled back and they mostly rely on me for guidance rather than go to the school counselor. Many of them would say, it seems I know more about the school than their study centre counselor.
Since 2007, we didn’t do any exam until September 2008. It was a very difficult experience for many students. Often times, exams were scheduled, but failed to hold. Student were angry, wondering when they would graduate if it takes 1 full year to write 1 exams. But despite this challenge, I keep giving people hope both online and off-line.
Furthermore, lack of writing exams is not the only problem. There was also inadequate course materials. Many courses registered were not examinable due of lack of course material and there was virtually nothing anyone can do about it. Students were restless and frustrated, but we have to keep faith.
Also, in my personal capacity, I had problems. Since I was registered for full degree against the access given by the management, I was expecting the school to change my status on the school portal, but it never happened. I was unable to do my full registration online, but because the counselor was sure it would be done, I was allowed to write the exam. But after holiday that we resume, the change was not effected and I became more restless. I continue to inquire how to go about the whole thing and there was no positive response. Even the counselor don’t know what to tell me any more. She seems not to understand the situation any more. The last time I went to her about my condition, she simple told me, I don’t know what to say anymore. My heart was broken.
According to her, it seems the school had changed the policy of not accepting further maths in place of maths. But she don’t know the way out.
In my mind, I reasoned that, the counselor is the only mouth piece of the management, so if the counselor is saying she don’t know, where else can I get clarification about my status or what to do? I was so disappointed and felt being betrayed by the school. Reluctantly, I asked the counselor again, ma, what should I do now and she said, just do whatever you like. I left school, a sad person, but I was not going to give up. My destiny is not in the hand of my school or anyone else, rather, its right in my own hands.
While I can blame the counselor or the school for the misdirection, I chose not to blame anyone too much, instead, I devise a solution by myself.
To be continued

You can also follow the discussion on Congress of Noun Students on facebook.

https://www./346177985458918/
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by onojemma: 11:09am On Dec 16, 2014
Hi Bilms,
Why not conclude your story once and for all to enable us know what you trying to pass across.
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by AngelJennifer: 11:57am On Dec 16, 2014
Edited
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by AngelJennifer: 11:58am On Dec 16, 2014
All these ...
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by bilms(m): 7:33pm On Dec 16, 2014
cheesy cheesy
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by onojemma: 9:50am On Dec 17, 2014
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by bilms(m): 10:03am On Dec 17, 2014
I went to Lagos, the headquaters of NOUN to have first hand information to ensure I have the right information. Upon getting to lagos, I was told the counselor who registered me for full degree did it in error and for that reason, there was nothing the school can do about it. Instead, I was advised to start afresh, i.e, go back to start from access. This is a very sad news. I was admitted in 2007 and we were in 2009, how can I go back to start from access after 2 good years I asked? But there was no other way, it has to be done I was told.
I left lagos not sure what next to do, but I was surely in charge of my destiny.
During the same period, a devastating incident happened to our I.T firm. The situation was so bad that I fogot about my challenges in school. Our company was destroyed due to greed and selfishness of humans with flesh. We receive for the very first time, a contract worth celebrating. Because of this contract which worth about N14.9million, friends turn foe, friendship turn sower, life was lost and my life was shattered. It was sad, but it was true.
I could no longer bear living in the same environment in which such a tragic incident had happened, it is affecting my mental state. I always feel unstable knowing a very close friend had died as a result of struggle with another friend, both whom are desperate to outshine other members of the company on one hand, and also trying to outshine each other on the other hand. Both guys collided to outshine and betray me and other members of the company and we didn’t fight back considering their despiration, but after getting through with us, they decided to outshine and betray each other. But because both of them are desperate and none is willing to let go for the other, one had to poison the other. A young promising tree was cut down prematurely. How can friends be so mean to each other because of money? Why can’t we just execute the job together as a team and share the proceed? Why would some people be so cruel that they deny other people that labored the fruit of their sweat? Why should one person take what ordinarrily belong to many? Why the threat, why the desperation, why the sudden change because of money? I can’t still understand till date.
It was hard for me to bear, the experience strange and life seems like hell.
As a result of this experience, i decied to relocate from Abuja to Ilorin to recover from the tragic and traumatising experience. I took transfer from Abuja to Ilorin Study Centre. Since there is nothing I would be doing back in Ilorin, I quickly registered for the access as advised by NOUN.
While in Ilorin, I developped my writing skills to be a writer, empower myself with wide range of information for activism and learn about human rights law for human rights advocacy. I used this to keep myself busy. I became engaged in both civil society and human rights activities and I was linked to Student World Assembly (SWE). SWE is an association of students from all across the world. I became NOUN representative in the association.
While doing my access programme, I made a plan B since i was beginning to enjoy my human rights activities, I enrol for another O level with different combination and the result was perfect. Towards the same period, I did my access exams and am set for full programme despite all challenges.
At that point, I was beginning to doubt if was ready to continue with Communication technology due to the change in my life. First, our I.T firm is gone and I am not ready to remember anything that happened back then. Secondly, I wouldn’t be able to give the course the kind of concentration needed due to my new engagements. I felt I should chage field. I was contemplating, what should I do now? I listed out other likely courses I may persue. Courses like International Relation, Political Science, Law and few others were considered, but International Relation was top on the list.
I begin to doubt if I should continue in NOUN despite my wasted time, energy and resources. Many thoughts came to my mind,but I couldn’t just decide to quite my dear NOUN. I checked to see if NOUN has the new courses I intended to persue, but unfortunately, International Relation which I place much priority on wasn’t available. It seems I was destined to quit NOUN afterall, I took JAMB form, did it for the first time and scored 271. I applied to Bayero University Kano (BUK) and Ibrahim Babangida University lapai.
To be continued
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by bilms(m): 10:03am On Dec 17, 2014
While doing all these, my human right engagements is taking me places. Within a very short while, I had become a member of several civil society organizations both within and outside Nigeria. I had also co-founded other organizations such as Nigeria Development Movement, Transform Nigeria Movement and others in which I serve in various leadership positions.
I had become a writer who contribute to national issues in public and social media. I wasn’t going to stop any time soon, human rights advocacy is my hobby. I had become a transformational speaker who is being invited to conferences and other youth events to deliver paper.
Through my numerous human rights engagements and associates outside the country, I was nominated to the International Human Rights Commission (IHRC) and I was appointed a Goodwill Ambassador For Peace. It occur to me that finally, it seems i am destined to be in the human right field.
Don’t forget, I had already gone for post jamb and did well in all, but the admission is not forth coming. So, i went back to NOUN prospectus to check other courses i may consider and suddenly, i saw the course that was destined for me. It’s a perfect course that fits my new status and vision. I didn’t bother to go back to BUK or Lapai, they can’t offer my destined course, only NOUN offer such a beautiful course in the entire Nigeria. Even till date, only NOUN is bold enough to offer the course in first degree.
The course is unique, its in high demand, every home needs it, every nation seeks it, every religion want it and every person aspire for it. Its wide, encompassing and global. It is the combination of LAW, International Relation and Diplomacy, Political Science and Criminology. I had earlier enrolled many people to NOUN to study the course without taking my time to think about it. I enrolled Buhari Gumel to study the course while I was in Abuja Study Center, I had also enrolled some people to the same course while in Ilorin, yet, that’s the course I had to study now. You may be wondering which course it is, well its what you desire. PEACE.
Without peace, Lawyers can’t practice, Doctors can’t do their jobs, Engineers had to stay back home, no one can come out in a violent condition. Law can’t bring peace, Police force can’t keep peace, no one can build a peaceful society, only the peace personnel.
The one and only major reason of establishing the United Nations in 1945 is to ensure global Peace to prevent re-occurrence of World wars which may threaten humanity. Since the establishment of that global body where all nations of the world converge to find ways to ensure peace, they have constantly been searching for better ways of meeting up with the aims and objectives of the organization. Boutrous Ghali, Former United Nation Secretary general in early 90’s wrote extensively on the Agenda for Peace, this was inline to provide mechanism for future engagements.
Having identify such a beautiful course, Peace Studies & Conflict Resolution, I knew from day one that I am covered in peace. Only NOUN offer the course in first, second and third degree, other Nigerian universities now offer it in second degree.

I applied for a change of programme in 2011, supplied my new O level result with the appropriate conbination and my course was changed from B.Sc Communication Technology to B.Sc Peace Studies & Conflict Resolution. Gbam….I am good to go for peace.
To be continued

2 Likes

Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by bilms(m): 10:04am On Dec 17, 2014
Contrary to popular believe, many things have improved in NOUN since its establishment. Those who had earlier withdrew from the school due to various challenges would certainly jump back at it if they are aware of the numerous improvement it has recorded since their departure. Although, there are still much challenges that should to be worked upon, but the school is indeed improving every day. While most students in NOUN today may not appreciate the current situation, those who experienced the tougher and rougher period in NOUN back then would certainly commend the management for such a giant stride within a very short while.
For example, when i first came in 2007, there was nothing like instant admission. You have to wait for some months before getting your admission, but today, everything has been made more easier. You get admission immediately after your application. That is an improvement. Before,there was nothing like E-exams or online TMA, students do encounter various challenges while writing the POP exams and also in their result, but today, we have E-exams and online TMA where students get instant result to their TMA and exams. Also,there was nothing like Course-ware- the online course material that students can download in case they couldn’t get the printed course material before, but due to the improving nature of the school, NOUN now has online course material as a remedy for those who couldn’t get the printed material. Again, back then,NOUN do take 1 full year or more to write first semester examination, but now, the school calender is stable as students complete their two semesters in a year and even did 3 semesters a certain year. You will agree with me that NOUN is certainly improving. Although, more needed to be done by the management. Issues of NYSC and Law school are prominent on the list of to do’s by NOUN management, it must also ensure adequate availability of course materials, empower the various study centers to be more responsive and timely and finally, NOUN management need to officially ensure the formation and recognition of a student association in line with best practices in other Open universities across the world.
Despite having some challenges in NOUN at a point, I never stopped responding to student queries or questions from prospective students. I continue to encourage people to come to NOUN.
While offering consultancy services which ordinarily should be the job of the management, it occurred to me more than ever, that the students need a voice and a platform to develop themselves. The students can’t continue in silence. Students need a platform to meet and share ideas. We need people to talk to about our problems and challenges, yes, students must create a voice for themselves.
As a result of constant thinking of how best to create a platform for NOUN students, this platform, Congress of Noun Students emerged. It was a perfect solution to my concern.
As a peace students, I had little time with studies. I am always engaged in one activities or the other. From writing articles for publications in various newspapers, to writing short pieces on national issues in online publications. Attending human right events here and there and delivering speeches in conferences and summits. Some times, I would be busy traveling around to persue human rights cases, or at other times, engaged in educating people. Its part of my duty as a Goodwill Ambassador For Peace. Having been doing this so well and enjoying it, I was given another role by the International Human Rights Commission. In July 2011, I was appointed as the Nigerian Ambassador for International Human Rights Commission.
With my new appointment, I am responsible to formulate policies, create and manage events as well as coordinate the general activities of the commission in Nigeria. It’s a 5 years voluntary assignment as my tenure in that capacity would expire in 2016 which is subject to renewal. Due to this new role, I hardly have time to study. It would interest you to know that, since I started my course till I graduated, I never checked my result grade or G.P for once. In fact, I never bothered to check my result, I always believe I would pass, though, I didn’t bother about what grade I would have or try to improve on them. At a point, I mostly rely on result status usually posted on our portal, where it would be indicated if you fail or pass any course. Once I saw that I had passed my courses as displayed in my portal, I never bothered to know the grade. And through out my study, I never failed any course except constitutional law (LAW243) which I strongly believed I passed, but was recorded otherwise. I had to write a letter to the management demanding for my exam paper. Lol.
To be continued
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by bilms(m): 10:06am On Dec 17, 2014
When I resolved to start the Congress of Noun Students (CONS), I talked to two of my fellow Nounite. Mr. Segun Jobi and Kazeem Olatunde, they both encouraged me to start the group. Their reason for supporting the idea was that, they are aware of how people often call me everyday demanding for information about Noun. I was also their compass to Noun and so they knew, many would benefit from such a group. Another major reason was that, I believe with a group such as Cons, I can always direct those calling me for information to come to Cons page to interact with other students. That, I believe would help a lot of students and prospective students.
Finally, the Congress of Noun Student (CONS) was established in 2012 and ever since, the story hasn’t remained the same.
Although, I was aware that the management discouraged students from students association. In fact, both students and the management often regard that discouragement as banning student association in NOUN. But of course, the management are very much aware that they have no right or power to ban students from association through a student association. That is against the Nigerian law.
The Nigerian constitution enshrined in it, a section of the universal declaration of Human Rights. That section is what guarantee every human, a right to free speech, a right to free movement and a right to association. No local law can deny any human these rights. We have freedom to express ourselves, freedom to move to where we want and freedom to constitute ourselves into an association to pursue our interest. That rights is universal and constitutional, it can’t be denied by any authority. Noun managements are very aware of this, they didn’t ban students from forming an association. They didn’t make any law regarding it because if they do, it would go contrary to the constitution of Nigeria, and any by-law from any agency within Nigeria, that goes contrary to the constitution of Nigeria is null and void by law.
So, what they simply did was that, they discourage students from forming an association and in case we do, just like we have Cons, they didn’t recognize it officially. Yes, the management have power not to recognize the association, but they don’t have power to stop us from forming it, neither do they have the right to stop any of our activities.
We and the management knew that, if we start the group and grew to a stage, management would have no choice than to formally recognize it unless they are willing to face legal tussle. Even right now, if we decided to drag NOUN to court for failing to recognize or permit us from forming our association, we will certainly win the case, but things doesn’t work that way. What is better, is for us to engage the management through diplomacy and pressure them to make certain concession. They know its our rights, and when we are organized enough to make the demands, they have no choice than to grant it. It is my believe that, all the management wanted is to be assured that our student association wouldn’t be used to disrupt academic activities and engage in unnecessary protest that may affect the working of the school. Once students demonstrate such in their organization, management have no choice than grant the request if we persist, but we all know, nothing comes easy. Student must be firm and upright, we must be sure and assertive, and they must see the understanding and capability in us.
So, when we started, many students that were aware that the institution frown at student association started by condemning us. Many joined our group to criticize us, they call us names and describe us as people violating the school’s directives that let no student association exist in the school. While many of them truly wanted the association to exist, they are scared of the consequences that may follow and often advice us to desist from going ahead with the group to avoid being punished by the management or being expelled from school. But we are focused, dedicated and determined. We know the nations law, we read the school’s act and we know we are not violating any law. We know that though, the school might frown at us for creating the CONS, but we didn’t break any law by creating it and so, we cannot be unduly punished. Even if we are punished unduly, we are certain that such punishment wouldn’t hold, law court shall reverse it without any question. So, we didn’t mind the critics as we understand their concerns, we instead concentrate on our vision for creating a voice for Noun students.
Gradually, we began to grow, from strength to strength. Cons which started with one member grow to 100 within a very short period. At a point, we begin to award titles to most active members. We awarded titles like, Cons member of the day, member of the week,Cons person of the month etc. Our membership continue to grow. From 100 to 200, 300, 400, 500. The pressure is mounting, criticism is intensifying, but we are not bothered. We thought that, if the managements are against us, the law is behind us. So, provided the law is with us, we have no cause to panic. As our membership continue to grow, various study centers were being represented and we decided to constitute a temporary exco to coordinate the affair of the CONS. People from various study centres were represented and it helped us to spread our wings. One of those exco still active on Cons is ID Collins, some had graduated. I was then nominated as the president of the group. Although, most of those constituted then failed to function as planned, but we didn’t allow that to affect us or draw us back, we continue to match forward. Students were being helped, information is circulating, people are getting direction, we are solving our own problems, we are sharing information about our difficulties and studying in NOUN is becoming more easy.
More members are joining from various study centers and we are assuring students that we are not doing anything wrong by having such a group. It’s a platform to learn and be guided.
Unknown to us, the management are already aware of our group and activities, they even have eyes and hears as our members. But instead of being scared of such development, we believe it is a positive development. When we get that information and some key members are scared, I wasn’t bothered a bit. Why should we be scare of having the management representatives among us? It only shows we are progressing I reasoned. Since we are not doing anything wrong, we can’t be scared. We should rather demonstrate our capabilities to gain the confidence of those management staffs among us. Although, I must agree that they often try to discourage us from going forward, but we can’t be stopped or dragged backward. Its forward ever.
Iyinkaye Al-Ameen came and became a very resourceful contributor. Through him, many things were accomplished.
When we had grown to a certain stage, we knew there must be more proactive action towards advancing our cause. We knew students need more than just talking about their problems online without helping them solve it. We knew we can’t continue to be online, we need to do more and become a more formidable force. We must transform from online platform to real life, but this can’t be easy.
First, since we are not recognized by the management, it is almost impossible for us to be publishing about our activities in the over 25 study centres we are well represented. It is also impossible for us to be holding physical meetings in school with the name of this group, the school would move against it. That was a difficult situation, we explored various means to find away out, but there was no way. But instead of holding ourselves back, we decided to engage the management through constant letter writing. Thanks to Al-ameen who is always there to deliver our resolution.
To be continued.
Re: Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) by Zedicusdgreat: 12:00pm On Dec 17, 2014
Continue sir...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Join Me In Celebrating My First Class Degree / Photos; Checkout This Luxurious Student Hostel. / OOU 2018/2019 Aspirant Whatsapp Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.