Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,621 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:18 PM

GLO - CAF Awards 2008 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / GLO - CAF Awards 2008 (4543 Views)

Live Updates 9 Jan: Winners At The 2013 Glo CAF Awards!!! / Mikel To Be Flown To GLO/CAF Awards In Chelsea Jet / 2013 Glo-CAF Awards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by Cristalz(f): 2:15pm On Dec 05, 2008
Its here again.  .  .Naija's Glo-CAF Awards 2008. The main award event is slated for February 2009, but its not too early to get our analytical minds going.

The Confederation of Africa Football (CAF) has unveiled the shortlist for the Glo-CAF Awards 2008.
CAF Director of Communications, Sulemana Habuba also announced innovations in the event with the aim of making it prestigious. This he said has led to the creation of the Glo-CAF Best Player on the Continent and the Glo-CAF Best Player across the World (African Footballer Of The Year).

The shortlist for the Glo-CAF Best Player on the Continent:
  Mohamed Aboutrika (Al- Ahly, Egypt)

Ahmed Hassan (Al-Ahly, Egypt)

Flavio Amado (Al-Ahly, Angola)

Tresor Mputu Mabi (T.P. Mazembe, DR Congo)

Stephen Worgu (Enyimba, Nigeria)

The shortlist for the Glo-CAF Best Player across the world (African Footballer Of The Year):
Mohamed Aboutrika (Al-Ahly, Egypt)

Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal, Togo)

Amr Zaki (Wigan Athletic, Egypt)

Didier Drogba (Chelsea, Cote d’Ivoire)

Michael Essien (Chelsea, Ghana) 

The final three of the two categories will be named before the Awards Gala fixed for Cotonou, Benin in December 2008.
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by mukina2: 4:08pm On Dec 05, 2008
The shortlist for the Glo-CAF Best Player on the Continent: it will most likely go to

Mohamed Aboutrika (Al- Ahly, Egypt) - Nations cup , Egyptian league

The shortlist for the Glo-CAF Best Player across the world (African Footballer Of The Year): this one is tricky, in as much as i want Adebayor to win it, it will be most likely be given to Zaki for his contribution to both club and country. tongue tongue
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by Cristalz(f): 5:01pm On Dec 05, 2008
Adebayor ke? Who dash monkey banana grin E sha try make shortlist.  .  .but I doubt he'll make the final three.

Aboutrika is a really good player; he was quite outstanding during Afcon. I'm sure he'll win the Best Player on the Continent.
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by mukina2: 5:08pm On Dec 05, 2008
wetin? grin Adebayor can still win it grin

Aboutrika wins that hands down, IMO the others are not really outstanding tongue
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by debosky(m): 5:13pm On Dec 05, 2008
Adebayorrrrr!!! grin

Zaki ko, Zokous ni tongue

No one will vote that white boot wearing wannabe. tongue
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by Sauron1: 5:16pm On Dec 05, 2008
Mohammed Aboutrika should win this EASILY.
He is the best player in Africa as we speak.

What did Adebayor win last season?? Eduardo's crutches and Moderazza's wonderbra grin
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by Jarus(m): 6:23pm On Dec 05, 2008
ACROSS THE WORLD CATEGORY: Adebayor beats anybody hands down. . . . Zaki tries sha, but I doubt if he can win it
IN AFRICA: Indisputably Aboutreika. Flavio also tied though.

What about Young African player of the year. Shortlist not yet out, but Nigerians have been winning it recently[Martins 2002,2003 Mikel 2005, Taiye Taiwo 2006]
I think Alexander Song should win it this year!!!
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by MrCrackles(m): 6:26pm On Dec 05, 2008
Jarus:

ACROSS THE WORLD CATEGORY: Adebayor beats anybody hands down. . . . Zaki tries sha, but I doubt if he can win it
IN AFRICA: Indisputably Aboutreika. Flavio also tied though.

What about Young African player of the year. Shortlist not yet out, but Nigerians have been winning it recently[Martins 2002,2003 Mikel 2005, Taiye Taiwo 2006]
I think Alexander Song should win it this year!!!

Nah i don't agree with the highlighted!

It would be a close one between Mo Aboutrika and Adebayor!!
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by A40(m): 6:59pm On Dec 05, 2008
debosky:

Adebayorrrrr!!! grin

Zaki ko, Zokous ni tongue

No one will vote that white boot wearing wannabe. tongue
ROFLMAO!! It is Adebayor's award all you bad belle people are just speaking grammar his performances in the UCL and goals in the EPL would win him that award easily
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by Sauron1: 12:25am On Dec 06, 2008
A-40:

ROFLMAO!! It is Adebayor's award all you bad belle people are just speaking grammar his performances in the UCL and goals in the EPL would win him that award easily

Adebayor?? Puhleeeeeeaze. . . .
What did he win last season? He would prolly get an award for this most moronic goal celebrant with his makossa moves. . . .
Essien played in Moscow, played in Wembley(Carling Cup) and nearly won the PREM. . . . . .
Then we have Kanoute, Uche Ikechukwu et al. . . . . .
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by A40(m): 1:17am On Dec 06, 2008
~Sauron~:

What did he win last season? He would prolly get an award for this most moronic goal celebrant with his makossa moves. . . .
Essien played in Moscow, played in Wembley(Carling Cup) and nearly won the PREM. . . . . .
Kanoute ko Kunta Kinte ni!! we all know nearly does not kill a bird Essien cannot win that award Adebayor was the most lethal african striker in Europe last season everyone and their grandma knows that so the award is Adebayorrrrr's!!
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by Jarus(m): 10:36am On Dec 06, 2008
MrCrackles:

Nah i don't agree with the highlighted!

It would be a close one between Mo Aboutrika and Adebayor!!
You didn't seem to get me. I nominated Song for Young African POtY, not the two categories we are talking about.

~Sauron~:

Haba, this is nationalism taken too far. Uche tried no doubt, but he can't even make the TOP 10. When,aside from the TOP 5 already nominated, we have other high performers like Muntari,Eto'o(pitiably he picked form back after CAF list out),Zidan etc.
I doubt if any Nigerian can win that award in the next five years. Well, maybe Nsofor or Obasi, when the likes of Drogba,Essien,Eto'o have left the stage!!!
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by Jarus(m): 10:41am On Dec 06, 2008
Cristalz:

Adebayor ke? Who dash monkey banana grin E sha try make shortlist.  .  .but I doubt he'll make the final three.
Aboutrika is a really good player; he was quite outstanding during Afcon. I'm sure he'll win the Best Player on the Continent.
Are you kidding me? Adebayor will not make TOP 3. Who else will? It's a straight fight between him and Zaki, and the pendulum tilts to his side.
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by Cristalz(f): 9:49pm On Dec 06, 2008
@Jarus

Chill dude. . .I was teasing Mukinazza grin

Of course the burnt mop will definitely be in the top 3. . .but I would pick Zaki over him.
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by Sauron1: 9:56pm On Dec 06, 2008
Jarus:

Haba, this is nationalism taken too far. Uche tried no doubt, but he can't even make the TOP 10. When,aside from the TOP 5 already nominated, we have other high performers like Muntari,Eto'o(pitiably he picked form back after CAF list out),Zidan etc.
I doubt if any Nigerian can win that award in the next five years. Well, maybe Nsofor or Obasi, when the likes of Drogba,Essien,Eto'o have left the stage!!!

Mohammed Aboutrika should win it. . . . . . .He won all the major titles in Africa.
CAN, CAF Champions League and the Egyptian league.

In the player across the world category. . . . .Michael Essien can take that.
Amr Zaki has also done well. . . .
Adebayor?? I am not sure.
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by A40(m): 10:09pm On Dec 06, 2008
Aboutrika did not win the CAF Champions league last season he only won the CAN and wining the CAN is not always a sure bet for becoming CAF African player of the year just ask Dos Santos of Tunisia in 2004
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by Sauron1: 10:33pm On Dec 06, 2008
A-40:

Aboutrika did not win the CAF Champions league last season he only won the CAN and wining the CAN is not always a sure bet for becoming CAF African player of the year just ask Dos Santos of Tunisia in 2004

Aboutrika is the best player in Africa.
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by Cristalz(f): 10:41pm On Dec 06, 2008
See Nigerians. . .nobody even mentioned Stephen Worgu embarassed grin
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by A40(m): 11:01pm On Dec 06, 2008
Naah its Adebayor
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by ayusman16(m): 12:48pm On Dec 08, 2008
Worgu is thrash. Abi no him play for Flying Eagle for WAFU? d dwarf guy playing like a pregnant woman! Abegeee Adebayo all the way!
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by Cristalz(f): 1:24pm On Jan 20, 2009
It's been confirmed that the awards event will be taking place in Lagos on the 10th of February. If you want to attend see me for tickets cheesy

Mohammed Aboutrika, Emannuel Adebayor and Michael Essien have emerged the shortlisted 3 for the very prestigious Glo/CAF African Player of the Year award.

Super Eagles of Nigeria, who fumbled and fell out of Ghana 2008 but rose back into reckoning through the 2010 World Cup Qualifiers, made the shortlist for the best national teams of 2008 grin
The other two teams are the Pharaohs of Egypt and the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon.

Other listings that have Nigerian names include the category for the Young Player award (under-23), with Obinna Nsofor the Inter Milan player in contention against Salomon Kalou (Chelsea and Cote d’Ivoire) and Stephen Bier of Cameroon.

The Coach of the Year award has Hassan Shehata of Egypt, Jose Manuel of Al Ahly and Allain Obledon of Coton Sport of Cameroon in contention.

Well, sorry Dakar for missing out on hosting the event.  .  .
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by mukina2: 2:20pm On Jan 20, 2009
Cristalz:

It's been confirmed that the awards event will be taking place in Lagos on the 10th of February. If you want to attend see me for tickets cheesy

yahoosseeeeeeee grin grin grin grin
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by Cristalz(f): 4:10pm On Jan 20, 2009
Yahoozee? Na wetin be that? grin

But Muki are you sure you don't want to come to Lagos to hug Adebayor? cheesy I'm sure you do.
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by Cristalz(f): 6:03pm On Feb 10, 2009
Awards show live tonight.  .  . 7.30pm I think undecided

Heard Adebayor came to town with a 35-man entourage grin
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by Jarus(m): 6:31pm On Feb 10, 2009
Cristalz:

Awards show live tonight. . . 7.30pm I think undecided

Heard Adebayor came to town with a 35-man entourage grin

Not surprised. Adebayor had been dreaming that award for long. I read his interview about 3 years ago and he said winning APOtY award was hsi dream. His dream is about coming through.

Nigerian newspapers are tipping Aboutrika but for Adebayor to have come in with such entourage, it appears he was confident he was going to win, probably having heard from reliable source. It appears winners usually know beforehand as I can't remember winner missing the event.

Still wondering why JJ never won this award. . .
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by dayokanu(m): 7:24pm On Feb 10, 2009
@Jarus,

Jayjay never deserved the award
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by DrKitaun(m): 8:18pm On Feb 10, 2009
let the awards begin . . . cool

Adebayorrrrrr ! grin
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by Cristalz(f): 8:21pm On Feb 10, 2009
Long time Kit. Howdy cheesy

Aboutrika's taking it jo grin Ade should try again later this year grin

Young Player of the Year - SOLOMON KALOU

Na which kin' canoe houdini shoe the guy dey wear sef grin Cool trad though.
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by MrCrackles(m): 8:25pm On Feb 10, 2009
So na Adebastard wey win the thing?

Kalou, young player? shocked shocked shocked

Fucking hell, hez old enough to be my big uncle!
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by Cristalz(f): 8:28pm On Feb 10, 2009
Is Kalou older than 23?
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by Cristalz(f): 8:32pm On Feb 10, 2009
Inter-club player of the year - Mohammed Aboutrika

Egyptians nor dey wear trad? Nice suit.
Re: GLO - CAF Awards 2008 by DrKitaun(m): 8:36pm On Feb 10, 2009
@Cristalz

was with Ade earlier on . . .HE ALREADY KNEW HE WAS TO BE CROWNED AFRICAN FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR . . .wanna place a fast bet ? tongue grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fifa Authorises Two Goal-line Technology Systems / Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. / How Often Do You Watch Nigeria Premier League?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.