Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,177 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:52 AM

A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt (24121 Views)

Which Is The Tallest Building In Lagos? / Burning Building In Warri Today (Photos) / Checkout The First Storey Building In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by abdulwastecx(m): 3:14pm On Feb 05, 2015
workmanship
formwork workmanship = #150,000
concrete work = 120,000

1 Like

Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by abdulwastecx(m): 3:22pm On Feb 05, 2015
work progress

Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by abdulwastecx(m): 3:25pm On Feb 05, 2015
more pics

Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by abdulwastecx(m): 6:20am On Feb 10, 2015
work progress

Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by abdulwastecx(m): 6:25am On Feb 10, 2015
more pics

Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by abdulwastecx(m): 6:08pm On Feb 10, 2015
precast concrete facial: the precast concrete facial is cheaper than the conventional method of the elimination of form work which cost about 30% of the total cost.
picture of concrete facial coming up soon
Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by Bugatie(m): 8:44pm On Feb 24, 2015
abdulwastecx:
precast concrete facial: the precast concrete facial is cheaper than the conventional method of the elimination of form work which cost about 30% of the total cost.
picture of concrete facial coming up soon

You are just good at the work you do.
Well done.
Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by EndiaSami: 10:48pm On Feb 24, 2015
abdulwastecx:

No: 08169492682

email : jwastecx@gmail.com
@abdul. I will send a mail to you regarding another issue. Please do reply
Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by irokop(m): 2:08am On Feb 25, 2015
But oga engineer it looks as if the mixture of the concrete is too dry, I think it's supposed to be a little bit watery pls I stand to be corrected ooo.
Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by abdulwastecx(m): 5:01am On Feb 25, 2015
irokop:
But oga engineer it looks as if the mixture of the concrete is too dry, I think it's supposed to be a little bit watery pls I stand to be corrected ooo.

we actually make our concrete too wet in Nigeria because of our method of placing concrete, which is done manuAlly most times.
water to cement ratio of 0.55 is ideal nut due to workability of concrete we tends to put more water....from research, the more the quantity of water the weaker the concrete and that is why you need a vibrator to help the concrete work very well

2 Likes

Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by FastShipping: 5:13am On Feb 25, 2015
abdulwastecx:

we actually make our concrete too wet in Nigeria because of our method of placing concrete, which is done manuAlly most times.
water to cement ratio of 0.55 is ideal nut due to workability of concrete we tends to put more water....from research, the more the quantity of water the weaker the concrete and that is why you need a vibrator to help the concrete work very well

Very true to some extent. I have witnessed the way they apply water to concrete in the U.S and the water they apply is not much and the concrete always come out great.

Can you explain to me why when we do concrete in Nigeria, we tend not to spend time making it look well finished like the ones in the pictures below? Anytime I see concrete shown on nairaland and I wonder why more time is not spent making the concrete look very nice like it is done in other countries. Can you compare these concrete pictures to the one we do in Nigeria?

Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by abdulwastecx(m): 5:53am On Feb 25, 2015
FastShipping:

Very true to some extent. I have witnessed the way they apply water to concrete in the U.S and the water they apply is not much and the concrete always come out great.

Can you explain to me why when we do concrete in Nigeria, we tend not to spend time making it look well finished like the ones in the pictures below? Anytime I see concrete shown on nairaland and I wonder why more time is not spent making the concrete look very nice like it is done in other countries. Can you compare these concrete pictures to the one we do in Nigeria?

I wrote vib.rat.or not romance machine.
as regard to those pictures below, there are more fine aggregate ( sand) than coarse aggregate ( gravel) because of the intended uses.

As can be seen, the concrete used as floor screeding.
method of concrete production also play an important role in the strength and appearance of concrete. In developed society, concretes are mostly produced in a batching plant where all the parameters like mix ratio, water to cement ratio, finest of aggregate, conditions of aggregate, quality of water are controlled. In Nigeria, concrete are manually mixed using hand or a concrete mixer, the result been that quality and quantity of cement constituents are not well cintrolled.

size of gravel also affect the appearance of concrete
ratio of cement

things like clay in sand or gravel,
dirty water
very high water in concrete, result to considerable lost of strength.

workmanship is another factor, skilled concreters are lacking in Nigeria and the formwork here are not as good as what is obtainable in the west
Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by FastShipping: 3:17pm On Feb 25, 2015
abdulwastecx:

I wrote vib.rat.or not romance machine.
as regard to those pictures below, there are more fine aggregate ( sand) than coarse aggregate ( gravel) because of the intended uses.

As can be seen, the concrete used as floor screeding.
method of concrete production also play an important role in the strength and appearance of concrete. In developed society, concretes are mostly produced in a batching plant where all the parameters like mix ratio, water to cement ratio, finest of aggregate, conditions of aggregate, quality of water are controlled. In Nigeria, concrete are manually mixed using hand or a concrete mixer, the result been that quality and quantity of cement constituents are not well cintrolled.

size of gravel also affect the appearance of concrete
ratio of cement

things like clay in sand or gravel,
dirty water
very high water in concrete, result to considerable lost of strength.

workmanship is another factor, skilled concreters are lacking in Nigeria and the formwork here are not as good as what is obtainable in the west

I have witnessed it here that they use more sharp-sand and cement more than we do in Nigeria. The ratio of sharp sand or stone dust to granite is like 2:1. The amount of cement they use here is unprecedented. That enables it to look well done when finished. In Nigeria, we tend to use a lot of granite.
Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by abdulwastecx(m): 5:15pm On Feb 25, 2015
FastShipping:

I have witnessed it here that they use more sharp-sand and cement more than we do in Nigeria. The ratio of sharp sand or stone dust to granite is like 2:1. The amount of cement they use here is unprecedented. That enables it to look well done when finished. In Nigeria, we tend to use a lot of granite.

actually concrete are made with different mix ratio, size of aggregates and water to cement depending on what property we are looking for.
concrete is a composite material of cement, aggregates ( coarse and fine aggregates), water and sometimes pozolanic materials etc. cement act as a binder when mixed with water to bind the aggregates together. coarse aggregates ( gravel) is responsible for the strength while fine aggregates help to fill the void space between the gravel since gravel are of irregular shape, fine aggregates also help to increase the volume of concrete.

most mix ratio are are design based on the above principle, that i the reason we normally have coarse aggregates ( gravel) in our concrete. examples includes, 1:2:4 ( one bag of cement:four head pan of sand and eight head pan of gravel) or 1:3:6
Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by emmadejust(m): 7:43pm On Feb 25, 2015
eng abdulwastecx. I dey hail you wella., I wil be expecting to hear from you About your project windows works...

am closer to u wit just a call...
Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by abdulwastecx(m): 7:51pm On Feb 25, 2015
emmadejust:
eng abdulwastecx. I dey hail you wella., I wil be expecting to hear from you About your project windows works...

am closer to u wit just a call...

ok sir...though I'm not an engineer yet. i will get in touch when I get any window work ir

1 Like

Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by Dieumerci(m): 10:03pm On Feb 26, 2015
abdulwastecx:
DPC:

the mix ratio = 1:2:4 (one bag of cement/ four head pan of sharp sand/ eight head pan of 3/4 gravel)
Area of DPC = 154m2
thickness of concrete =150mm (6'')
Volume of concrete = ( 154 x 0.15 x 1.25) = 30m3 (approx.)

number of bags of cement = (30 x 1/7 x 1506/50) = 130 bags of cement
140bags of cement for the DPC.

in the actual casting, 136bags of cement was used
Pls what does 1.25 stand for?

1 Like

Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by abdulwastecx(m): 10:35pm On Feb 26, 2015
Dieumerci:

Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by abdulwastecx(m): 10:44pm On Feb 26, 2015
Dieumerci:

1.25 means 25% increase, an allowance for losses, shrinkage, wastage etc

1 Like

Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by Dieumerci(m): 6:09am On Feb 27, 2015
abdulwastecx:

1.25 means 25% increase, an allowance for losses, shrinkage, wastage etc
Thanks so much.
Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by Dieumerci(m): 6:58am On Feb 27, 2015
abdulwastecx:
I traveled home for two weeks, when i returned back to port Harcourt, the first floor block work had already been completed by my colleague (Arc. Emanuel).
i will post the picture here

No of planks for the floor beams
beam along x-axis = 14 x 4 =56m2
beam along y- axis = 13x4 52m2
since the beam will required boarding from both side = (( 56 + 52) x 2 x 0.3))/(0.3 x 3.3) = 65 planks

Hello Abdulwastecx, I found out that some people don't add floor beam in their slab.
They would rather do lintels through the entire perimeter of the house. How safe is it?

Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by abdulwastecx(m): 9:19am On Feb 27, 2015
Dieumerci:

Hello Abdulwastecx, I found out that some people don't add floor beam in their slab.
They would rather do lintels through the entire perimeter of the house. How safe is it?

this is very unsafe practice since when we build suspended floor we assumed that our building is frame hence the block walll are non load bearer.

the strength of out sancrete block at maximum is 4N/mm2 coompared to cooncrete strength of minimum 20N/mm2. Most blocks sold commercially have lower strength of between 0.5 - 1.5N/mm2, hence it always better to build any high rise building as a frame.

the building you just posted above sir will most llikely collapsed in the near future leading to lost of life and properties

2 Likes

Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by abdulwastecx(m): 9:23am On Feb 27, 2015
Dieumerci:

this is very unsafe practice. when we build suspended floors we assumed that our building is frame hence the block wall are non load bearer.

the strength of our sancrete block at maximum is 4N/mm2 coompared to concrete strength of minimum 20N/mm2. Most blocks sold commercially in Nigeria has lower strength of between 0.5 - 1.5N/mm2, hence it always better to build any high rise building as a frame where partion walls don't carry load

the building you just posted above sir, will most llikely collapsed in the near future leading to lost of life and properties
Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by mufutau55(m): 4:26pm On Feb 27, 2015
abdulwastecx:

this is very unsafe practice. when we build suspended floors we assumed that our building is frame hence the block wall are non load bearer.

I don't get it, can you show me a picture of floor beam? Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by Dieumerci(m): 8:19pm On Mar 02, 2015
abdulwastecx:
DPC:

the mix ratio = 1:2:4 (one bag of cement/ four head pan of sharp sand/ eight head pan of 3/4 gravel)
Area of DPC = 154m2
thickness of concrete =150mm (6'')
Volume of concrete = ( 154 x 0.15 x 1.25) = 30m3 (approx.)

number of bags of cement = (30 x 1/7 x 1506/50) = 130 bags of cement
140bags of cement for the DPC.

in the actual casting, 136bags of cement was used
@Abdulwastecx, I would like know whether this calculation is only for the casting of the 6" concrete.
Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by abdulwastecx(m): 8:39pm On Mar 02, 2015
Dieumerci:

@Abdulwastecx, I would like know whether this calculation is only for the casting of the 6" concrete.

it is a template for the calculation of materials required in the production of concrete using mix ratio of 1:2:4. you can always use it for other operation like column, beam, slab etc by changing parameters like the length, width and thickness
Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by Dieumerci(m): 8:47pm On Mar 02, 2015
abdulwastecx:

it is a template for the calculation of materials required in the production of concrete using mix ratio of 1:2:4. you can always use it for other operation like column, beam, slab etc by changing parameters like the length, width and thickness
Thanks so much broda.
Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by cleric(m): 8:35am On May 16, 2015
shocked
Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by cleric(m): 8:44am On May 16, 2015
Why did this thread stop? This is one of the most technically advanced thread I have visited in the property section. I stand to be corrected by Hajj aka mufutau55.

FastShipping:

I think because it is not the final finishing. After all, no one will know how it looks after we finish it with tiles, etc. I must state however that this necessitates plastering of other sections with no such finishings.
Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by abdulwastecx(m): 11:05pm On May 17, 2015
cleric:
Why did this thread stop? This is one of the most technically advanced thread I have visited in the property section. I stand to be corrected by Hajj aka mufutau55.

I think because it is not the final finishing. After all, no one will know how it looks after we finish it with tiles, etc. I must state however that this necessitates plastering of other sections with no such finishings.

Actually the building has been completed. I left the site after the completion of the plastering work.
Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by abdulwastecx(m): 11:05pm On May 17, 2015
here are some updates of the project: pre cast concrete facial

Re: A Propossed Six Bedrooms Duplex Building In Port Harcourt by abdulwastecx(m): 11:18pm On May 17, 2015
roofing work

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? / My Experience With Building Approval In Lagos / Is Anything Wrong In Painting A House Black?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.