Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,283 members, 7,818,959 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:56 AM

Catholicism And Use of Images/statues: Clearing The Air. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholicism And Use of Images/statues: Clearing The Air. (917 Views)

Are Roman Catholicism And Christianity The Same Thing? / Worship Of Mary And The Use Of Images In The Catholic Church / Important Lesson To Christians About The Use Of Images In Worship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholicism And Use of Images/statues: Clearing The Air. by DesChyko: 11:22am On Dec 14, 2014

First Passage* Deut 4:15-18.

Here, God warns the Israelites against fashioning an idol to represent any figure, whether it be the form of a man or woman, or of any other creatures.

Reaction: This makes Christians insist that all statues of religious subjects are forbidden.

Second Passage* Ex 25:10-22

Here, the Lord actually instructed the Israelites to store those very commandments, carved in stone, within a sacred container (ark) to be decorated with golden images of angelic beings called cherubim.

Also examine* Ex 25:33-36; 26:1, 1st Kgs 6:23-7:51, 2nd Chr 3:10-4:22

Here, he commanded the people to decorate the places they worshipped with gold, bronze and wooden images of plants and animals.

Deduction: Thus, we must note, however, (as the first passage implies and the second passage above clarifies) that God has forbidden ONLY the making of such images with the intention of worshipping them, as the pagans did. He has, by no means, banned the creation of all religious images.

Question: Why then do Catholic churches, schools and homes display religious statues and other images?

Answer: Such images are an aid to remembering and honouring our Lord, his mother, the saints and the angels. No Catholic who knows anything about the Catholic faith has ever worshipped a religious image.

When Catholics kneel to pray before a statue or burn candles or place flowers before it, they aren't worshipping the image. They are simply expressing love and honour for the person represented by that image.

Reality: Think of how most people display the pictures of their loved ones in their workplaces or carry them on their person. They may occasionally even kiss a picture.
When they do this, are they worshipping these images? Of course not! The affection they show to the images is actually directed toward those the images portray.
Does venerating saints and angels in this way somehow 'steal' honour from God? NO!! They are his handwork.(Eph 2.10). Our praise of the masterpiece rebounds to the glory of the Artist who creaed them.

Footnote: If we cherish the memory of statesmen, war heroes, and even sport celebrities by making statues of them, then, what can be our objection to honouring the heroes of the faith? (Sir 44:1-15).

REFLECTION: Endeavour to be patient while bearing the defects and infirmities of others of whatever kind, for you have many things which others have had to bear patiently as well.

Culled from: Know Your Faith.
Third Sunday of Advent, Year B.

1 Like

Re: Catholicism And Use of Images/statues: Clearing The Air. by Nobody: 11:55am On Dec 14, 2014
Hmm in mi's voice:its allowed

1 Like

Re: Catholicism And Use of Images/statues: Clearing The Air. by madmadu(m): 12:40pm On Dec 14, 2014
wen ppl make images/ statues of sango, amadioha, etc, are dey worshipping d image or d god represented by d image?.... so wats d difference??
Re: Catholicism And Use of Images/statues: Clearing The Air. by Nobody: 12:51pm On Dec 14, 2014
no one will easily accept his understanding is false while his/her consciense is already contorted to the acceptance of a supposed truth of which he/she now bears testimony of. indeed I have learnt by understanding never to speak against ones religion but rather I may reprove doctrines detrimental to life. there is no point in appealing to hypocrisy.And if it's beneficial of me to criticism, I would indeed censure, but seeing that I may not censure and reproving would be of no importance to the stumbler who stumble in sophisticated deceptions I would hold silence
Re: Catholicism And Use of Images/statues: Clearing The Air. by charlsecy(m): 12:56pm On Dec 14, 2014
But some (or all) of those images of Christ are mere art work, but some bow before them in reverence.

Some of the pictures are male actors who acted as Jesus in the movies, and you put such photos calling them Jesus!
Re: Catholicism And Use of Images/statues: Clearing The Air. by Nobody: 1:21pm On Dec 14, 2014
DesChyko:

Question: Why then do Catholic churches, schools and homes display religious statues and other images?

Answer: Such images are an aid to remembering and honouring our Lord, his mother, the saints and the angels. No Catholic who knows anything about the Catholic faith has ever worshipped a religious image.

When Catholics kneel to pray before a statue or burn candles or place flowers before it, they aren't worshipping the image. They are simply expressing love and honour for the person represented by that image.

indeed ye believe Christ lives in you(Eph3:17-21). the son of man by whom is the existence of all things, so what more if he can't be honour therein rather than being a statue. of course there is no doubt that I must intense my mind with joy before praying as the human mind is evil. so therefore I know I Am not good but rather good at hypocrisy
Re: Catholicism And Use of Images/statues: Clearing The Air. by Mobi47(m): 2:06pm On Dec 14, 2014
OP WELDONE.
For those who are comparing christian images to that of Idol whoshippers, just know that its a two different thing all together. What is for God, is for God and anything not of God, is from the devil. So in conclussion, idol images is far from Godly images, therefore, when one makes idole image like that of sango, etc, it is bad. Take note;madmadu

1 Like

Re: Catholicism And Use of Images/statues: Clearing The Air. by dolphinheart(m): 9:24pm On Dec 14, 2014
If you have to build an image to remind you that you have a God u must worship.!......then I wonder.

Funny thing is, even some pagans who use images have exact copy or image of the God they worshiped.
Re: Catholicism And Use of Images/statues: Clearing The Air. by Nobody: 9:49pm On Dec 14, 2014
Mobi47:
OP WELDONE.
For those who are comparing christian images to that of Idol whoshippers, just know that its a two different thing all together. What is for God, is for God and anything not of God, is from the devil. So in conclussion, idol im ages is far from Godly images, therefore, when one makes idole image like that of sango, etc, it is bad. Take note;madmadu
after the hunting of pagans especially the Gnostics it then suit that without any reprimand as to the fact that all things are buried under a cover, the adoption of pagan customs by sophisticated teachings would be indubitably appealing to the satisfaction of all hypocrisy
Re: Catholicism And Use of Images/statues: Clearing The Air. by Mobi47(m): 9:59pm On Dec 14, 2014
efedua:
after the hunting of pagans especially the Gnostics it then suit that without any reprimand as to the fact that all things are buried under a cover, the adoption of pagan customs by sophisticated teachings would be indubitably appealing to the satisfaction of all hypocrisy
Good nyt.
Re: Catholicism And Use of Images/statues: Clearing The Air. by Nobody: 10:08pm On Dec 14, 2014
Mobi47:

Good nyt.
thank bro, wish u too a splendid night
Re: Catholicism And Use of Images/statues: Clearing The Air. by Anomnity: 10:37pm On Dec 14, 2014
OP, You didn't clear the air.You stuffed the air the more.You are giving idol worshippers excuse to keep their images and you are deliberately scripture twisting to pave way & create good excuse for catholic idolatory.
#Idols)

Exodus 20:4 and 5 states plainly:-
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them:

#idols)
And DesChyko states thus:-
DesChyko:

He has, by no means, banned the creation of all religious images.

#idols)

Jesus has answer for you here:-
Matthew 5:1-6 >>
6............ Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.

#idols)

And God himself replies you here:-
Ezekiel 14:1-4>>
3 Son of man, these men have set up their idols in their heart, and put the stumblingblock of their iniquity before their face: should I be enquired of at all by them?
4 Therefore speak unto them, and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God ; Every man of the house of Israel that setteth up his idols in his heart, and putteth the stumblingblock of his iniquity before his face, and cometh to the prophet; I the Lord will answer him that cometh according to the multitude of his idols;
Re: Catholicism And Use of Images/statues: Clearing The Air. by Anomnity: 10:49pm On Dec 14, 2014
Besides, multitude of genuine christians for generations since the time of Christ have proved by their mode of worship that God can be worshipped without any form of image representation whatsoever yet roman catholics are hell bent on pushing their man made(maybe devil made) image worship model.Lets not talk about their goddess Mary which for them is a concluded matter whether God likes it or not.
Re: Catholicism And Use of Images/statues: Clearing The Air. by DesChyko: 7:19am On Dec 15, 2014
Anomnity:
..You didn't clear the air.You stuffed the air the more.You are giving idol worshippers excuse to keep their images and you are deliberately scripture twisting to pave way & create good excuse for catholic idolatory...

Blind ignorance doth mislead thee - Leonardo da Vinci.

Pouring more water into a filled cup is a waste. For a true scholar never studies with a filled mind.

If I see a topic I already have an established biased opinion on, I avoid it. I suggest you learn to do the same.

(1) (Reply)

Why Islam Section / Help Someone Who Can't Pay You Back (pictures) / Opinion Pls My Friend Falls And Shakes Anytime She Prays

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.