Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,540 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:03 AM

Thread For PHD Students - Education (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thread For PHD Students (325924 Views)

Which University In Nigeria or abroad Accepts 3.0 Msc Grade For Phd Admission? / 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (105) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For PHD Students by youthofnaija: 3:25pm On Aug 30, 2015
Happy Sunday...
Re: Thread For PHD Students by youthofnaija: 3:41pm On Aug 30, 2015
jayceeabdulwasiu:

To my understanding, 60% on a scale of 5.0 is 4.0. However, 3.5 will qualify for M. Phil while 4.0 will qualify for PhD programs.
Anybody with other understanding can correct me.
jeebz:

I think that you are correct.

Thanks for your responses. Please you guys should take a look at this.
First picture is the PhD admission requirement for UNIBEN : 60% or cgpa of 3.5 on a scale of 5.0
Second picture is the PhD admission requirement for UNN: cgpa of 3.5 on a scale of 5.0 or weighted average of 60%

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by jayceeabdulwasiu(m): 5:25pm On Aug 30, 2015
youthofnaija:

Thanks for your responses. Please you guys should take a look at this.
First picture is the PhD admission requirement for UNIBEN : 60% or cgpa of 3.5 on a scale of 5.0
Second picture is the PhD admission requirement for UNN: cgpa of 3.5 on a scale of 5.0 or weighted average of 60%

That shows that some departments accept 3.5 while some accept minimum of 4.0. UNN has clearly defined it. Some schools accept graduates with 3.5 GPA into their M.Phil programme like probation and whenever the students pass the required course work, they will continue as a PhD student.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by youthofnaija: 6:55pm On Aug 30, 2015
Thanks
Re: Thread For PHD Students by jayceeabdulwasiu(m): 11:58pm On Aug 31, 2015
youthofnaija:

Thanks Jayceeabdulwasiu. It is very possible for an applicant to score less than 60% but make a cgpa of more than 3.5. Do you think such applicant will be given admission considering the admission criteria outlined by UNIBEN

I will advice you to get in contact with the department for more enquiries. Unilag as a case study, I normally know of 60% or cgpa of 3.5. However, it was recently that a lecturer said 3.5 is the benchmark but in department of educational foundation, graduate with 3.5 will qualify for M.Phil while 4.0 will qualify for PhD.
Do not rely on the general requirements, contact the programme coordinator or PhD students in your proposed department for clarification

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by ayokunlei(m): 10:55am On Sep 01, 2015
Cy4cent.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by cy4cent(f): 11:25am On Sep 01, 2015
[quote author=ayokunlei post=37554251]Cy4cent. [/qu
Re: Thread For PHD Students by HZwriters: 5:17pm On Sep 07, 2015
You guys are doing a great work. Keep it up!
Re: Thread For PHD Students by rudian(f): 10:19pm On Sep 07, 2015
I jst found this link and I love it , I would ve loved to strt my PHD in counseling psychology this year at the University of Benin bt I need a cash base for that, dnt want my parents funding the prog. I'm gonna stick to this link, counting on U guys for more info, next year I'm definitely doing my PHD.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by jayceeabdulwasiu(m): 11:17pm On Sep 07, 2015
rudian:
I jst found this link and I love it , I would ve loved to strt my PHD in counseling psychology this year at the University of Benin bt I need a cash base for that, dnt want my parents funding the prog. I'm gonna stick to this link, counting on U guys for more info, next year I'm definitely doing my PHD.
If you truely want to start your PhD next year, you have to start the process this year. Just an advice.
More so, I read some of your posts where you said you had good grades in both degrees. Then, why can't you just search for schools abroad. That is what I intend doing.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by rudian(f): 9:43pm On Sep 14, 2015
jayceeabdulwasiu:

If you truely want to start your PhD next year, you have to start the process this year. Just an advice.
More so, I read some of your posts where you said you had good grades in both degrees. Then, why can't you just search for schools abroad. That is what I intend doing.
thanks for ur input, I would love to try schs abroad, will kip in touch with ya on that, thanks again
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 3:54am On Sep 15, 2015
B.Sc Finance
M.Sc Finance
PhD Finance (in view)
Sector: Banking

Please House, can one apply and successfully complete a PhD while working in a commercial bank in Nigeria? I am thinking of registering next year.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by endy231: 3:15pm On Sep 16, 2015
DrWise:
B.Sc Finance
M.Sc Finance
PhD Finance (in view)

Please House, can one apply and successfully complete a PhD while working in a commercial bank in Nigeria? I am thinking of registering next year.
Dat may be possible in some schools, but I can categorically say it is 99% impossible in university of ibadan except perhaps you work in the marketing department of the bank.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by jayceeabdulwasiu(m): 3:40pm On Sep 17, 2015
DrWise:
B.Sc Finance
M.Sc Finance
PhD Finance (in view)

It is possible but it depends on your proposed school and department. department determine the flexibility of the program either full-time only, part-time only or both.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by JustKeen(m): 9:12pm On Oct 22, 2015
Wow! Great thread.
Have only a Bsc for now. Definitely starting my msc next year. Currently working in the banking sector now as an operations staff.
I've got two pressing questions:

1) How flexible/possible is it to run an Msc program being an ops staff that spends most of the day on his desk? Will a part time msc give me much elbow room to juggle both?

2) Due to proximity, I hope to run the people program in a State Uni. First degree was in a Fed Uni. Aiming to go into lecturing soon, hope an msc from a state uni won't be ridiculed when one applies for a lecturing position?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by jeebz: 2:23am On Oct 23, 2015
JustKeen:
Wow! Great thread.
Have only a Bsc for now. Definitely starting my msc next year. Currently working in the banking sector now as an operations staff.
I've got two pressing questions:

1) How flexible/possible is it to run an Msc program being an ops staff that spends most of the day on his desk? Will a part time msc give me much elbow room to juggle both?

2) Due to proximity, I hope to run the people program in a State Uni. First degree was in a Fed Uni. Aiming to go into lecturing soon, hope an msc from a state uni won't be ridiculed when one applies for a lecturing position?

1. I believe that you can work and school together. Though it can be very exerting.
2. A university remains what it is whether state, federal or private. Just ensure you graduate will stellar grades.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 3:29pm On Oct 30, 2015
Hello guys...
I have a BS degree in Computer Science from a federal university in Nigeria.
I am preparing to start a PhD program (5 years) in Computer Science come August.
I have research interests in requirements engineering, and modeling and simulation.
I would like to deepen my knowledge in research methods between now and next year
when I will start graduate school.
I would like all my senior researchers to give me advice on what to do in order to have
a successful time in graduate school? Any pitfalls?

Also, anyone who is doing research in IT and Computer Science should please let us interact.
I am really open to new ideas and believe we have one or two things to learn from each other.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by na1ra: 5:59pm On Oct 30, 2015
practice jamb cbt on mobile or pc
http://jambcomputerbasedtest.com/?advert=free.cbt
Re: Thread For PHD Students by jeebz: 10:10pm On Nov 08, 2015
sirRiddy:
Hello guys...
I have a BS degree in Computer Science from a federal university in Nigeria.
I am preparing to start a PhD program (5 years) in Computer Science come August.
I have research interests in requirements engineering, and modeling and simulation.
I would like to deepen my knowledge in research methods between now and next year
when I will start graduate school.
I would like all my senior researchers to give me advice on what to do in order to have
a successful time in graduate school? Any pitfalls?

Also, anyone who is doing research in IT and Computer Science should please let us interact.
I am really open to new ideas and believe we have one or two things to learn from each other.
Sent you a PM.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by padeolu: 6:52pm On Nov 09, 2015
fapcrook:
can u link up wt my mama at prof Bankoles office at Unaab if possible next week,
Hi @Fapcrook, please I sent you a DM.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by padeolu: 6:55pm On Nov 09, 2015
adioolayi:
Are u a PhD student too?
Hi bro, I sent you a DM.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by adioolayi(m): 7:16pm On Nov 09, 2015
padeolu:
Hi bro, I sent you a DM.
I've responded. ...awaiting the full DM grin
Re: Thread For PHD Students by padeolu: 8:04pm On Nov 09, 2015
adioolayi:
I've responded. ...awaiting the full DM grin
I've seen it. Thanks alot.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 2:43pm On Nov 16, 2015
Hello guys,
Please I need this paper:

Directions and Methodologies for Empirical Software Engineering Research
R. Harrison, N. Badoo, E. Barry, S. Biffl, A. Parra, B. Winter, J. Wuest
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023%2FA%3A1009877923978
Thank you
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 2:59pm On Nov 16, 2015
sirRiddy:
Hello guys,
Please I need this paper:

Directions and Methodologies for Empirical Software Engineering Research
R. Harrison, N. Badoo, E. Barry, S. Biffl, A. Parra, B. Winter, J. Wuest
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023%2FA%3A1009877923978
Thank you

find attached the requested paper.

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 3:06pm On Nov 16, 2015
Thank you sir smiley

masperano:

find attached the requested paper.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 3:24pm On Nov 18, 2015
Hello guys. Please, I need this paper:

1. Certifiably safe software-dependent systems: challenges and directions
John Hatcliff
Alan Wassyng
Tim Kelly
Cyrille Comar
Paul Jones
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=2593882.2593895

Thanks in advance smiley
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 5:02pm On Nov 18, 2015
sirRiddy:
Hello guys. Please, I need this paper:

1. Certifiably safe software-dependent systems: challenges and directions
John Hatcliff
Alan Wassyng
Tim Kelly
Cyrille Comar
Paul Jones
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=2593882.2593895

Thanks in advance smiley
it is too big to upload u may want to drop your mail.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 5:17pm On Nov 18, 2015
Right away smiley!
Please do not quote as I would want to erase it later.
Thanks for your usual assistance

masperano:

it is too big to upload u may want to drop your mail.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by jeebz: 1:39am On Nov 19, 2015
@masperano, very good job. Keep it up.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 3:29am On Nov 19, 2015
jeebz:
@masperano, very good job. Keep it up.
Thanks
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 3:29am On Nov 19, 2015
sirRiddy:
Right away smiley!
Please do not quote as I would want to erase it later.
Thanks for your usual assistance

I have sent it

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (105) (Reply)

2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread / Apply for 2018/2019 PTDF Scholarship in Germany/France/China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.