Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,668 members, 7,809,521 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:50 AM

Thread For PHD Students - Education (44) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thread For PHD Students (325923 Views)

Which University In Nigeria or abroad Accepts 3.0 Msc Grade For Phd Admission? / 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (105) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For PHD Students by guiddoti: 4:55pm On Jun 17, 2018
wip7:

Yes CO2 capture, storage and conversion is a very good research now. I love that due to industrial implication.
Just your insight now, can you add some likely nuggets as you have done before. I just need contributions to present problem. Thank you
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 5:57pm On Jun 17, 2018
guiddoti:
Just your insight now, can you add some likely nuggets as you have done before. I just need contributions to present problem. Thank you

Possible research on CO2 capture, Utilization, management and conversion via various streams:

1. Robust CO2 capture and photocatalytic conversion by a hybrid photocatalyst material

2. Dual function material for capture and catalytic conversion to synthetic natural gas: Gas phase reactions and performance stability

3. Techno-economic assessment for pure H2 production with CO2 capture in underwater pipelines

4. Green plant sensitized photoanode for solar water splitting (green energy production) and CO2 conversion

5. Hybrid electrochemical sensor for detection of Underwater CO2 Using Functionalized Electrode

For Synthesis of Materials for CO2 capture: MOF, LDH and Silica-based materials are emerging materials for the capture and do have commercial viability. In fact in KAUST ( Saudi Arabia University), there is a group that have designed a microvolume CO2 capture and re-utilization system based MOF (Metal-organic Frameworks) and LDH (Layered double Hydroxides) and this system is suitable in both oil and cement industries.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by guiddoti: 6:06pm On Jun 17, 2018
wip7:

Possible research on CO2 capture, Utilization, management and conversion via various streams:

1. Robust CO2 capture and photocatalytic conversion by a hybrid photocatalyst material

2. Dual function material for capture and catalytic conversion to synthetic natural gas: Gas phase reactions and performance stability

3. Techno-economic assessment for pure H2 production with CO2 capture in underwater pipelines

4. Green plant sensitized photoanode for solar water splitting (green energy production) and CO2 conversion

5. Hybrid electrochemical sensor for detection of Underwater CO2 Using Functionalized Electrode

For Synthesis of Materials for CO2 capture: MOF, LDH and Silica-based materials are emerging materials for the capture and do have commercial viability. In fact in KAUST ( Saudi Arabia University), there is a group that have designed a microvolume CO2 capture and re-utilization system based MOF (Metal-organic Frameworks) and LDH (Layered double Hydroxides) and this system is suitable in both oil and cement industries.
God bless you for taking out time to write and inspire us. I appreciate. It's like development of carbon storage management will be a good one, lol, have a good insight on this one. Happy father's day to you.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Diamond294(f): 8:18pm On Jun 17, 2018
ejibaba:

Complete your MSC first na! Try out writing publications in reputable journals. Join Author said and researchgate you will get. However, allow your work identify you
I'm planning ahead sir. Will start PhD immediately after MSC. Thanks so much for the input.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Diamond294(f): 8:19pm On Jun 17, 2018
wip7:

RESEARCH FUNDING

Getting Funding is not easy but is very very possible. Applying for a research grant can be a long and painful process and there are no guarantees it will end in success. The useful tips shared below could prove just the boost you need to secure financial support.

This will largely depend on your academic profile, nature of research, type of solution your research will provide, who will benefit from the research, is the research nationalistic or of international usage, how easy and practicable the research can be reproduced, does it have commercial value? The experience of the investigator, the innovation and significance of the research outputs.

You can access one of the resources here: https://researcheracademy.elsevier.com/research-preparation/funding/successful-research-grant-applications-getting-right

Also, you can write a grant and I can advise and mentor!

Best wishes
Thanks for your inputs sir.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by pricelessjosy: 2:32am On Jun 18, 2018
wip7:

First in your MSc, which research area did you focus on? did you succeed? To what extent? DO you have any specific interest?

my research was on design of an automated personel appraisal system.

my research interest are design of information systems, internet of things and human computer interaction.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by bilal4riid(m): 7:54am On Jun 18, 2018
Good morning prof. Please suggest some research topics on "Bioethanol Production " (phd) thanks
Re: Thread For PHD Students by purplekayc(m): 8:39am On Jun 23, 2018
Please, who knows the schedule of the national open university? Are they on break or holidays right now?
Re: Thread For PHD Students by yak(m): 8:17pm On Jun 23, 2018
purplekayc:
Please, who knows the schedule of the national open university? Are they on break or holidays right now?

they are about to write exams. I think the exams are starting in a week or two.

on the other hand, am still wondering if NOUN masters can earn someone a PhD in conventional universities
Re: Thread For PHD Students by purplekayc(m): 9:54pm On Jun 23, 2018
yak:

on the other hand, am still wondering if NOUN masters can earn someone a PhD in conventional universities
I was told the curriculum schedule is different depending on the courses one puts in for.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by yak(m): 10:06pm On Jun 23, 2018
purplekayc:
I was told the curriculum schedule is different depending on the courses one puts in for.

that means it can't be used
Re: Thread For PHD Students by purplekayc(m): 10:37pm On Jun 23, 2018
yak:

that means it can't be used
don't understand
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 12:00am On Jun 24, 2018
yak:

Yes it can be used so long you meet the criteria for admission. UNN, UNIABUJA, ATBU NSUK,ESUST the list endless. Though some schools have their reservations
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Chynwe(f): 1:00am On Jun 24, 2018
Prof. Wip7,thanks for the great job you have been doing on this forum. Please could you help me with a good research area in Applied mathematics where I can get research funding. I am a PhD student in applied Mathematics in Nigeria,though still seeking for admission abroad. Looking forward to your response Sir.

1 Like

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 6:39am On Jun 24, 2018
Chynwe:
Prof. Wip7,thanks for the great job you have been doing on this forum. Please could you help me with a good research area in Applied mathematics where I can get research funding. I am a PhD student in applied Mathematics in Nigeria,though still seeking for admission abroad. Looking forward to your response Sir.

Good day,

In the majority of mathematics area of research, the researchers don’t need to buy any equipment or gadget or laboratory accessories to get a research done.

So what will you need the research funding for during your Phd? How will the output be justified regarding the funding. These are some of the questions you should have answers to or planning to answer when you are researching for funding.

Based on my experience, Items funded under maths, might include, but are not limited to, travel to research conferences and workshops, computer equipment and software, short-term academic visits.

So, to access foreign funding for above listed, your CV matters a lot in terms of quality and internationally acceptable publications you have.

Kindly have a look at the link, I provided below on how to apply for research funding. Have you had an acceptable SCI academic papers? How many
and whic field of research you have in mind or have you searched for?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 7:28am On Jun 24, 2018
purplekayc:
don't understand
I've replied ur email.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by toolluu: 1:08pm On Jun 30, 2018
research areas in telecommunications
Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jun 30, 2018
Drsheddy:
I'm doing my PHD in Economics here in FRANCE nd d tin is going on smoothly.
Did you do French for one year before proceeding
Re: Thread For PHD Students by tataiwo09(m): 9:50pm On Jun 30, 2018
Hello respected men.

Kindly recommend the best school one can run PhD programme in Nigeria, based on:

1. Low school fee
2. No delay. Maximum of 5 years
3. Supervsiors that are humane
4. Internet access
5. Good environment

Thanks
Re: Thread For PHD Students by guiddoti: 11:52pm On Jul 03, 2018
tataiwo09:
Hello respected men.

Kindly recommend the best school one can run PhD programme in Nigeria, based on:

1. Low school fee
2. No delay. Maximum of 5 years
3. Supervsiors that are humane
4. Internet access
5. Good environment

Thanks
4. Internet access.? That sound private university, though.
3. Humane? Heart of man is desperately wicked, who can know it.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by priyankpandey42: 5:58am On Jul 05, 2018
UGC NET (UGC National Eligibility Test) is an entrance examination controlled and maintained by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) on behalf of University Grants Commission (UGC) for the candidates seeking their career in the research field in India.

Every year CBSE conducts the research entrance examinations for determining candidates eligibility for Assistant Professor or for Junior Research Fellowship & Assistant Professor. Junior Research Fellowship awardees will be eligible to pursue research in their postgraduate subject from IITs or other national organizations.

Ph.D. students can visit the official page of UGC NET here at https://www.resulted.in/exams/research/ugc-net/ for more details regarding the research program offered.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by slydog(m): 1:06pm On Jul 05, 2018
Wip7, thumbs up for what you've been doing here. I recently completed my doctorate in Economics here in Nigeria. I want to find out from you; what's the main aim of a Postdoctoral Fellowship? You can also do well in directing us on how to apply for such opportunities. Thank u!

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 5:59pm On Jul 05, 2018
slydog:
Wip7, thumbs up for what you've been doing here. I recently completed my doctorate in Economics here in Nigeria. I want to find out from you; what's the main aim of a Postdoctoral Fellowship? You can also do well in directing us on how to apply for such opportunities. Thank u!

Congratulations on your recent doctorate degree. Best wishes!

slydog:
I want to find out from you; what's the main aim of a Postdoctoral Fellowship?

The postdoctoral fellowship has two-way aim/goal; one directed towards the Postdoc or fellow and the second is towards the benefit of the host. What this position means varies depending on countries and institutions.

For the Postdoc:
The Fellowship is crafted for the postdoc to strengthen, refine and expand the postdoc skills in specific areas of research techniques, enhancing specific analytical skills or acquiring novel skills. The overall or ultimate goal is for the fellows to develop the skill set required to pinpoint novel high impact areas of investigation and then obtain resources to pursue answers to these questions.

So what are the common reasons that scientists or recent PhD graduate seek for Postdocs?
There are many reasons but I will just point to few I can personally relate to.

1. For many PhD graduates, they couldn't find a satisfactory job that meets their education level. For some, they know that a postdoc (or even multiple postdocs) are necessary to eventually run their own lab.

2. For some, they lack competitive research experience during their PhDs, hence want to advance or could not publish top-quality academic papers or do not have increasingly demanding skills in the job markets. Hence, tend to enhance themselves.

3. For some, it is the formative experiences that plant the seeds for a lifetime of discovery and adding it to their CV makes them more competitive.

4. For some, to make money and to acquire new skills or to change the field of their research.

For the Host:
Postdoc research is usually considered important while advancing the scholarly mission of the host institution; it is expected to produce relevant publications in peer-reviewed academic journals or patents. In some countries/universities, postdoc research may lead to further formal qualifications or certification, while in other countries it does not. Particularly, in the western countries like the USA, a postdoc fellow engage in mentored research or scholarly training for the purpose of acquiring the professional skills needed to pursue a career path of his or her choosing. This position may lead to tenure for the fellow in the host institution. In most cases, the postdoc positions are paid either by the funding from the principal investigators or the host universities/labs/industries.

slydog:
You can also do well in directing us on how to apply for such opportunities. Thank u!

The postdoc positions are usually advertised by the university, the website of the principal investigator, in academic media like Mendeley.com, Researchgate, Nature jobs, Jobs in UK, Harvard Postdoc Jobs etc, Some like Turkish Government offers the position yearly funded by the government to support local and international applicants, some like Canadian Universities or Czech Repub universities search for postdoc yearly as part of scholarly missions.

To apply for Postdoc these days is very competitive. The applicants must possess some of these:

1. Have relevant skills that are directly close to the advertised postdoc positions.

2. Have high-level competitive skills majorly based on internationally acceptable published papers of good quality (SCI/SSCI/AHI) and suitable impact factors.

3. Demonstrate the ability to undertake the advertised project backed with verifiable previous experiences in the field of research

4. Sound statement of research that aligns with the goals and mission of the host or principal investigator.

5. You have novel and sustainable modern ideas that will warrant you to be funded

So you can visit some of the above-mentioned links to search.

I benefitted from the Turkish Government funded Postdoc and my research was funded for almost 15 million naira at that time and I was receiving around 500k naira monthly inclusive of publication cash award. The major issue is finding host university and having novel ideas that will warrant the host to accept you.

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 6:37pm On Jul 05, 2018
Here is a New question posted on researchgate regarding postdoc

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by slydog(m): 7:03pm On Jul 05, 2018
wip7:

Congratulations on your recent doctorate degree. Best wishes!

The postdoctoral fellowship has two-way aim/goal; one directed towards the Postdoc or fellow and the second is towards the benefit of the host. What this position means varies depending on countries and institutions.

For the Postdoc:
The Fellowship is crafted for the postdoc to strengthen, refine and expand the postdoc skills in specific areas of research techniques, enhancing specific analytical skills or acquiring novel skills. The overall or ultimate goal is for the fellows to develop the skill set required to pinpoint novel high impact areas of investigation and then obtain resources to pursue answers to these questions.

So what are the common reasons that scientists or recent PhD graduate seek for Postdocs?
There are many reasons but I will just point to few I can personally relate to.

1. For many PhD graduates, they couldn't find a satisfactory job that meets their education level. For some, they know that a postdoc (or even multiple postdocs) are necessary to eventually run their own lab.

2. For some, they lack competitive research experience during their PhDs, hence want to advance or could not publish top-quality academic papers or do not have increasingly demanding skills in the job markets. Hence, tend to enhance themselves.

3. For some, it is the formative experiences that plant the seeds for a lifetime of discovery and adding it to their CV makes them more competitive.

4. For some, to make money and to acquire new skills or to change the field of their research.

For the Host:
Postdoc research is usually considered important while advancing the scholarly mission of the host institution; it is expected to produce relevant publications in peer-reviewed academic journals or patents. In some countries/universities, postdoc research may lead to further formal qualifications or certification, while in other countries it does not. Particularly, in the western countries like the USA, a postdoc fellow engage in mentored research or scholarly training for the purpose of acquiring the professional skills needed to pursue a career path of his or her choosing. This position may lead to tenure for the fellow in the host institution. In most cases, the postdoc positions are paid either by the funding from the principal investigators or the host universities/labs/industries.

The postdoc positions are usually advertised by the university, the website of the principal investigator, in academic media like Mendeley.com, Researchgate, Nature jobs, Jobs in UK, Harvard Postdoc Jobs etc, Some like Turkish Government offers the position yearly funded by the government to support local and international applicants, some like Canadian Universities or Czech Repub universities search for postdoc yearly as part of scholarly missions.

To apply for Postdoc these days is very competitive. The applicants must possess some of these:

1. Have relevant skills that are directly close to the advertised postdoc positions.

2. Have high-level competitive skills majorly based on internationally acceptable published papers of good quality (SCI/SSCI/AHI) and suitable impact factors.

3. Demonstrate the ability to undertake the advertised project backed with verifiable previous experiences in the field of research

4. Sound statement of research that aligns with the goals and mission of the host or principal investigator.

5. You have novel and sustainable modern ideas that will warrant you to be funded

So you can visit some of the above-mentioned links to search.

I benefitted from the Turkish Government funded Postdoc and my research was funded for almost 15 million naira at that time and I was receiving around 500k naira monthly inclusive of publication cash award. The major issue is finding host university and having novel ideas that will warrant the host to accept you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For PHD Students by slydog(m): 7:07pm On Jul 05, 2018
Thank you. I recently applied for such position in a South African university, though the responses I've received are: my field is not their area of expertise, write to the HOD to appoint a mentor.
I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong, cos it requires one lecturer to mentor, I wrote to all the lecturers.
Re: Thread For PHD Students by wip7: 3:50am On Jul 06, 2018
slydog:
Thank you. I recently applied for such position in a South African university, though the responses I've received are: my field is not their area of expertise, write to the HOD to appoint a mentor.
I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong, cos it requires one lecturer to mentor, I wrote to all the lecturers.

Follow the advise given up there � and also check other links to search for the advertised postdoc positions.

For a mentor to accept you in his/her lab/center, lots of the mentor will want postdoc that is working or have similar research interest, while some are flexible.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 8:10am On Jul 07, 2018
good morning everyone. glad to be here. I'm a relatively new Ph.D student, 2017/18 session. I'm full time, I've got no job yet. I would appreciate links to local scholarship schemes please. I ran my MSc without a scholarship because I didn't know there were any until my classmates started cashing out, lol. I want to lessen the burden for my parents this time around please.... and I'm female. thanks in advance smiley
I hope to learn some other things from the thread and contribute to it as time passes
Re: Thread For PHD Students by drhammed: 9:06am On Jul 07, 2018
HotMayo:
good morning everyone. glad to be here. I'm a relatively new Ph.D student, 2017/18 session. I'm full time, I've got no job yet. I would appreciate links to local scholarship schemes please. I ran my MSc without a scholarship because I didn't know there were any until my classmates started cashing out, lol. I want to lessen the burden for my parents this time around please.... and I'm female. thanks in advance smiley
I hope to learn some other things from the thread and contribute to it as time passes

I think you should start by contacting Supervisor in your intended School/Country. And see if there's a match. There's always funding for PhD than M.Sc. Although you may need to write some exams like GRE, TOEFL, etc. But I advise you jump on Internet and do some search.

You may also consider Commonwealth PhD Scholarship, Trudeau Foundation Scholarship in Canada, and Vanier Graduate Scholarship in Canada.

All the best sis.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by Nobody: 9:42am On Jul 07, 2018
drhammed:

I think you should start by contacting Supervisor in your intended School/Country. And see if there's a match. There's always funding for PhD than M.Sc. Although you may need to write some exams like GRE, TOEFL, etc. But I advise you jump on Internet and do some search.

You may also consider Commonwealth PhD Scholarship, Trudeau Foundation Scholarship in Canada, and Vanier Graduate Scholarship in Canada.

All the best sis.
thank you but I want to run it here in Nigeria for some personal reasons

2 Likes

Re: Thread For PHD Students by squad1: 9:32pm On Jul 08, 2018
Hello Wip7 , Hello Everyone.
I am new here and need your contribution(s). I did my MSc (Civil Engineering) in Water and Environment Engineering (WEE) option but due to the nature of my job and my experience over the years, i now have a flair for Highway Engineering and will love to take it further by pursuing a PhD in Highway Engineering.

Is it possible to be admitted using my Msc (WEE) into PhD(Highway Engineering) or i MUST go for another MSc in Highway Engineering before i proceed to my Phd Studies?

I will be expecting your reply(ies).

Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (105) (Reply)

2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread / Apply for 2018/2019 PTDF Scholarship in Germany/France/China

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.