Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,314 members, 7,860,761 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 03:46 PM

APC Meeting Over Choice Of VP Hit Deadlock - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APC Meeting Over Choice Of VP Hit Deadlock (1173 Views)

PDP Governors Hold Emergency Meeting Over Wike’s Removal / Senators In Emergency Meeting Over Saraki- Daily Trust / APC, PDP Set To Clash Over Choice Of Fayose As NGF Deputy Chairman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

APC Meeting Over Choice Of VP Hit Deadlock by wallex1983(m): 4:45am On Dec 16, 2014
National leaders of the All Progressives Congress (APC) party have hit a deadlock at the Rivers State government lodge in Abuja in a meeting convened to choose a Vice Presidential candidate for the 2015 presidential election.

Sources at the meeting said the deadlock arrived after state governors within the party rejected the candidature of former Lagos governor, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, as well as Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, a former Lagos State Attorney General under Tinubu.

SaharaReporters also learned that Mr. Tinubu did not attend the meeting after he sensed the hostility of the governors at the venue towards him, choosing to send emissaries to submit his nominees.

The newly-chosen presidential candidate of the party, Muhammadu Buhari, was in attendance but did not utter a word throughout the rowdy meeting, the sources confirmed.

After the meeting reached a deadlock, a committee of six leaders chosen from the geo-political zones was set up to resolve the logjam, but after several hours of meeting, it also failed to agree on a candidate. Some members of the committee are Chief Bisi Akande (Southwest), Dr. Chris Ngige (Southeast), Danjuma Goje (Northeast) and Bukola Saraki (Northcentral).

The meeting then dispersed with a final directive to Buhari to go ahead and choose whomever he deems fit as his VP.

SaharaReporters learnt that Buhari would most likely revert to Tinubu to nominate a candidate for him as a mark of respect and in order to keep his promise to obtain his input.

http://saharareporters.com/2014/12/15/apc-meeting-deadlocked-over-choice-vp-candidate
Re: APC Meeting Over Choice Of VP Hit Deadlock by mistabiola: 4:49am On Dec 16, 2014
I am a Nigerian. And a patriotic one. No amount of blackmail and name - calling will make me look back on my choice of a new president. A president I know will fight corruption. A president I know will not steal my money. A president I know will not promote violence. If the Jonathanians like, let them hug transformer. Buhari your only hope!

#iThink | #iBelieve | #iNewNigeria

#TakeBackNigeria | #iStand4NewNigeria

7 Likes

Re: APC Meeting Over Choice Of VP Hit Deadlock by wallex1983(m): 5:01am On Dec 16, 2014
Obviously the choice of the right VP isn't as easy as the choice of the Presidential candidate himself. APC cannot afford to make any mistakes at this point. Perhaps they should look outside the box now to pacify all. They can't afford to be careless here. They have come this far, and can't afford to sell it out cheaply here.
I so submit
Re: APC Meeting Over Choice Of VP Hit Deadlock by thaoriginator: 5:10am On Dec 16, 2014
R
Re: APC Meeting Over Choice Of VP Hit Deadlock by Nobody: 5:12am On Dec 16, 2014
Does it matter who stands as VP? will it affect the rate of the dollar?
Re: APC Meeting Over Choice Of VP Hit Deadlock by SweetJoystick(m): 5:12am On Dec 16, 2014
Hmm
Re: APC Meeting Over Choice Of VP Hit Deadlock by wallex1983(m): 5:13am On Dec 16, 2014
clemhova:
A marathon meeting by the leaders of the All Progressives Congress ended in the early hours of Tuesday(today) without a consensus on the running mate for the party’s presidential candidate, Maj.Gen. Muhammadu Buhari.

Unlike the national convention/ primary which produced Buhari on Thursday without much rancour, the meeting which started at about 10.30pm on Wednesday and ended at about 1.58am on Tuesday was said to have been characterised by intense horse-trading.

Different caucuses of the APC had started a series of meetings which culminated in a larger one that had all the party’s governors and leaders in attendance.

The National leader of the party, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, did not attend the enlarged caucus meeting.

Before the enlarged meeting which held at the Rivers State Governor’s Lodge in Asokoro, Abuja, rose, former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar and Imo State Governor Rochas Okorocha had left.

They did not return as of 12. 50am when Buhari and some other participants, including seven governors, started filing out of the lodge.

Although the reason for their action could not be ascertained, The PUNCH learnt that the National Working Committee of the party would ratify one of the shortlisted vice-presidential aspirants on Tuesday.

The aspirants being considered are Governors Rotimi Amaechi(Rivers), Babatunde Fashola(Lagos), Adams Oshiomhole(Edo) and a former Lagos State Commissioner for Justice, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo.

Others whose names came up were former governors Dr. Kayode Fayemi (Ekiti State), former Governor Olagunsoye Oyinlola (Osun State) and former governor Adeniyi Adebayo (Ekiti State)

A seven-member committee headed by Chief Tony Momoh was set up to prune down the number of aspirants. It has representatives from each zone of the country.

They include Chief Bisi Akande (South-West), Senator Chris Ngige (South-East), Senator Danjuma Goje (North-East), Chief Audu Ogbe (North-Central), Chief Sam Jaja (South-South) and Governor Yari Abubakar (North-West).

The enlarged meeting will reconvene by 12pm today.

The caucus arrived at two major decisions which included the rejection of Muslim-Muslim ticket.

It was gathered that Abubakar, Okorocha, Kwankwaso and Nda-Isiah would lend their voices to the choice of the vice-presidential candidate. This would be followed up by input from Buhari.

One of the governors, who attended the meeting said, “We are still meeting. It is not as easy as you see it. We are still meeting.”

Another leader of the party also confirmed the stalemate, saying “We have not picked anybody yet.”

He explained that the NWC which would meet on Tuesday(today) was expected to “ratify whoever is picked if there’s a stalemate tonight(Monday). “

Earlier on Monday, another top ranking member of the APC privy to the meeting said, “The meeting is going on now to draw up the general principles of (the) choice.

“It has been agreed that no Muslim/ Muslim ticket. The choice is also not restricted to the South-West; any zone in the South could produce our candidate’s running mate.”

The APC chieftain said the governors and Tinubu, were engaged in serious calculations about the viability of aspirants being proposed.

The meeting had in attendance, the party’s National Chairman, John Odigie-Oyegun; the National Secretary, Mai Malabuni; ex-Minister of the FCT, Nasir el-Rufai as well as Governors Rauf Aregbesola (Osun), Oshiomhole (Edo) and Yari.

Others were Governors Babatunde Fashiola (Lagos), Magatakarda Wamakko (Sokoto), Ibrahim Geidam (Yobe), Kashim Shettima (Borno), Senators Bukar Abba Ibrahim, Atiku Bagudu, Chris Ngige and Ahmed Sani.

Also in attendance were the party’s national publicity secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed and a former presidential aspirant, Sam Nda- Isaiah.

Abubakar and Okorocha left the meeting midway and were yet to return as at the time of the time participants starting filing out of the lodge.

When contacted, Mohammed said, “We are still consulting.”

Source: http://www.punchng.com/news/apc-leaders-fail-to-agree-on-buharis-running-mate/

1 Like

Re: APC Meeting Over Choice Of VP Hit Deadlock by Greatken007(m): 5:14am On Dec 16, 2014
NIGERIA POLITICS IS ALL ABOUT INTEREST AND NOT SERVICE I REPEAT....WE CAN ONLY SOLVE THE NIGERIA PROBLEM INDIVIDUALLY

1 Like

Re: APC Meeting Over Choice Of VP Hit Deadlock by 1Dray(m): 5:28am On Dec 16, 2014
mistabiola:
I am a Nigerian. And a patriotic one. No amount of blackmail and name - calling will make me look back on my choice of a new president. A president I know will fight corruption. A president I know will not steal my money. A president I know will not promote violence. If the Jonathanians like, let them hug transformer. Buhari your only hope!

Who asked you? Why all these rants?

1 Like

Re: APC Meeting Over Choice Of VP Hit Deadlock by mistabiola: 6:00am On Dec 16, 2014
1Dray:

Who asked you? Why all these rants?

Wuraola ni, is it a crime

1 Like

Re: APC Meeting Over Choice Of VP Hit Deadlock by Nobody: 7:05am On Dec 16, 2014
mistabiola:
I am a Nigerian. And a patriotic one. No amount of blackmail and name - calling will make me look back on my choice of a new president. A president I know will fight corruption. A president I know will not steal my money. A president I know will not promote violence. If the Jonathanians like, let them hug transformer. Buhari my only hope!

Fixed
Re: APC Meeting Over Choice Of VP Hit Deadlock by mistabiola: 7:06am On Dec 16, 2014
[quote author=hizroyalflynes post=28920291][/quote] our cheesy grin
Re: APC Meeting Over Choice Of VP Hit Deadlock by Nobody: 7:26am On Dec 16, 2014
If they really want to contest. And not just make appearance... Tinubu must be pacified go against this and he would happily make another deal with GEJ
Asiwaju is a correct political -businessman
The strong hold APC is banking on:the SW
If u think Tinubu can't boycott APC goodluck to u
GMB just dey mellow he sabi wetin dey ground fhuck with Tinubu and he is long gone

It will help APC controlled states to start treating their citizens right
And make 2015 an eclassico
Field any other than Tinubu's candidate and it will be like
Playing Liverpool : players dey buh no team
Re: APC Meeting Over Choice Of VP Hit Deadlock by castancassy2(m): 8:00am On Dec 16, 2014
mistabiola:

. my dear dont allow PDP to kill u. if ur mother's soup spoil, u apc will call PDP. focus on apc fall in feburary and leave PDP alone
Re: APC Meeting Over Choice Of VP Hit Deadlock by mistabiola: 8:04am On Dec 16, 2014
castancassy2:
. my dear dont allow PDP to kill u. if ur mother's soup spoil, u apc will call PDP. focus on apc fall in feburary and leave PDP alone

Thanks dear!!! We are not a violent type cheesy you can also join the movement grin

Let's #TakeBackNigeria...#‎iNewNigeria‬

NIGERIA is where She is Today because WE have Consciously and UnConsciously Refused to Participate Towards Building of a NEW NIGERIA.

Walk the Walk with ME #iStand4NewNigeria.

Get Your PVC....and Let's #TakeBackNigeria.

~ Adeoye "iNewNigeria" Abiola , 16/12/2014.
Re: APC Meeting Over Choice Of VP Hit Deadlock by NeilOssai(m): 8:04am On Dec 16, 2014
wallex1983:
Obviously the choice of the right VP isn't as easy as the choice of the Presidential candidate himself. APC cannot afford to make any mistakes at this point. Perhaps they should look outside the box now to pacify all. They can't afford to be careless here. They have come this far, and can't afford to sell it out cheaply here.
I so submit
...bless U.

(1) (Reply)

Magnus Abe, Amaechi, Peterside Pictured Together At Guber Rally / Buhari's Many Evils Tail After Him. / LIKELY AFTERMATH OF 2015 General Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.