Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,132 members, 7,821,871 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Firstfruits - To Pay Or Not To Pay - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Firstfruits - To Pay Or Not To Pay (832 Views)

Before You Pay That Firstfruits Offering! / Should I Give My First Salary As Firstfruits Offering? / What's This About Firstfruits? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Firstfruits - To Pay Or Not To Pay by kilokeys(m): 6:11am On Dec 17, 2014
personally, i am a believer in thanksgiving. i believe in Firstfruits.
but the question is, what is permissible?

Leviticus 23:9-14 institutes the firstfruits offering. The people were to bring a sheaf of grain to the priest, who would wave it before the Lord. A burnt offering, a meal offering, and a drink offering were also required at that time. Deuteronomy 26:1-10 gives even more detail on the procedure of firstfruits.

my points

1. A sheaf of grain is handy enough to be waved by the priests. when compared to a wheat field owned by the giver.

2. It was required at every harvest season ( put in mind d sheaf to field comparison)

so would it be logical to say,

1. our salaries are harvested every month, what's d sheaf there?
2. are we required to give the whole field ( a month's harvest), a month's salary in the name of firstfuits?

3. as kings and priests in d new testament. Priests are provided for with the firstfruits (sheaves collected from the worshippers)

4. are pastors now higher priests than us in christ?

thanksgiving is very important, it could be yearly monthly.. as u wish.
i worship in the north. i see reasons why we should give to d church, these funds are used to help, and preach d gospel in cash and kind to pple in need. my church caters for some displaced villagers in d north east.
ill give gladly to that cause.

1 Share

Re: Firstfruits - To Pay Or Not To Pay by Dereformer(m): 6:28am On Dec 17, 2014
kilokeys:
personally, i am a believer in thanksgiving. i believe in Firstfruits.
but the question is, what is permissible?

Leviticus 23:9-14 institutes the firstfruits offering. The people were to bring a sheaf of grain to the priest, who would wave it before the Lord. A burnt offering, a meal offering, and a drink offering were also required at that time. Deuteronomy 26:1-10 gives even more detail on the procedure of firstfruits.

my points

1. A sheaf of grain is handy enough to be waved by the priests. when compared to a wheat field owned by the giver.

2. It was required at every harvest season ( put in mind d sheaf to field comparison)

so would it be logical to say,

1. our salaries are harvested every month, what's d sheaf there?
2. are we required to give the whole field ( a month's harvest), a month's salary in the name of firstfuits?

3. as kings and priests in d new testament. Priests are provided for with the firstfruits (sheaves collected from the worshippers)

4. are pastors now higher priests than us in christ?

thanksgiving is very important, it could be yearly monthly.. as u wish.
i worship in the north. i see reasons why we should give to d church, these funds are used to help, and preach d gospel in cash and kind to pple in need. my church caters for some displaced villagers in d north east.
ill give gladly to that cause.

If I am certain that the fruit will be used to propagate the gospel or help the poor and needy in our mist, I will give.

However, if it will be used to maintain the lavish lifestyle of the pastor, i will never give a dim.

1 Like

Re: Firstfruits - To Pay Or Not To Pay by sexy74(m): 6:40am On Dec 17, 2014
The mistake most people make is that they think their first fruit is all their January salary.
Let me ask one question" when you give all your January salary what will you survive on with your family that month?.
The bible makes me to understand that;
Wisdom is profitable to direct.
The people that gave their first fruit as you quoted, did they give all their crops or a small portion of it.
You should understand that the essence of the first fruit is that all should bring a small portion of what they have and gather them together. And it will become many. Not giving all they have.
If everyone gives all he or she has the priest in question has more than what is needed for his up keep.
You explained your self that it is the sheaf ( a portion) of his harvest he gives to the priest.
Just like you have a yam farm, it is the first head of yam you harvest that you give not the whole farm.
Does it mean when you have different farms you give all your farm produce as first fruit?
You should know that different farm produce are harvested at different time of the year, so it is a portion of what you produce you give.
Don't be deceived by such teaching to bring all your January salary. If I may ask is it only January you harvest ( receive salary).
Please be guided with wisdom and not doctrine.

1 Like

Re: Firstfruits - To Pay Or Not To Pay by lonelydora: 4:04am On Jan 05, 2015
Dereformer:

If I am certain that the fruit will be used to propagate the gospel or help the poor and needy in our mist, I will give.

However, if it will be used to maintain the lavish lifestyle of the pastor, i will never give a dim.
Seconded.

(1) (Reply)

Jesus Is God Revealed / My Pastor And A Sister In The Church / Which Is Really A White Wedding, Is It The Church Or The Court Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.