Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,862 members, 7,821,010 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

Ghana As An African Model - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ghana As An African Model (2069 Views)

Tension Mounts At Dumso, Ghana, As Irate Youth Kill 80 Cattle F The Fulanis / Power Outages To Worsen In Ghana As Nigeria Stops Gas Supply / Accommodation For Nigerians In Ghana As Costly As Gold (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana As An African Model by azorjiu(m): 9:59am On Dec 08, 2008
Seeing Ghanaians queuing patiently to vote in an election, I think Africa has finally got a giant.
Kenya and Nigeria can't say they haven't got a role model.
Can we not study their system and learn from it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7769695.stm
Re: Ghana As An African Model by chidichris(m): 11:00am On Dec 08, 2008
the shameless professor iwu ill tell ghana to learn from nigeria's election like he told the usa.
our problem is not ignorance rather corruption.
if u wanted to be a successful press man in nigerian during obj's regime, u need to be on his side or u expect the visit of sss and for details contact ait public ralations officer.
ghanians and south africans have shown how great they are and how able and willing they are to be called african giants. indeed they are my african giants.
the only areas we pass them na nigerian movies and nites of a thousand laughs because we are used to suffering and smilling
Re: Ghana As An African Model by chidichris(m): 11:02am On Dec 08, 2008
the shameless professor iwu ill tell ghana to learn from nigeria's election like he told the usa.
our problem is not ignorance rather corruption.
if u wanted to be a successful press man in nigerian during obj's regime, u need to be on his side or u expect the visit of sss and for details contact ait public ralations officer.
ghanians and south africans have shown how great they are and how able and willing they are to be called african giants. indeed they are my african giants.
the only areas we pass them na nigerian movies and nites of a thousand laughs because we are used to suffering and smilling
Re: Ghana As An African Model by auwal87(m): 11:45am On Dec 08, 2008
Shame on Najeriya!
Re: Ghana As An African Model by Jakumo(m): 11:49am On Dec 08, 2008
Ghana can teach Nigeria quite a few lessons on civilized living.

1. Electrical power outages hardly if ever occur in Ghana, while in Nigeria, electricity only exists today as the abstract subject of wistful nostalgia by grey-haired old-timers, who refer to the good old days of yore when electrical power came via overhead transmission lines, and not from smoky, roaring portable generators in the back yard.

2.  Crime is so low in Ghana that it is perfectly safe to travel the highways or walk city streets at ANY hour of the day or night, whereas in Nigeria , road travel at night carries a 90% risk of armed ambush.

3. Vehicles plying the roads in Ghana look as new and roadworthy as those on UK roads, thanks to rigidly enforced car registration laws, in contrast to Nigeria where any moving object with turning wheels is deemed street-legal, just as long as the requisite bribes are paid to the men in uniforms.  

4.  Corrupt government officials are prosecuted and jailed in Ghana after being forced to cough up the loot, but in Nigeria, public officials who do NOT steal from the state treasury are regarded as eccentrics to be ridiculed and reviled for the rest of their natural lives, while successful embezzlers become the toast of the town, provided they are generous in spreading the loot about as they go.

5. Ghanaians, along with citizens of other CIVILIZED nations of the world will peacefully form neat, orderly lines in bus terminals, train stations and airports, as opposed to Nigerians who will cram up into each other crotch to butt-crack while screaming curses at line-jumpers, even as they scan for openings to jump the line themselves.
Re: Ghana As An African Model by Muza(m): 12:48pm On Dec 08, 2008
Nigeria cover you face,you should be ashamed embarassed
Re: Ghana As An African Model by Seun(m): 12:54pm On Dec 08, 2008
All these small African countries.   One day they are models, the next day they are fighting civil wars.

1 Like

Re: Ghana As An African Model by Jakumo(m): 1:23pm On Dec 08, 2008
True words Seun.  Not long ago Sierra Leone and the Ivory Coast were regarded as shining beacons of hope and stability in a troubled continent, but those names now bring to mind images of war and chaos.

To Ghana's credit though, war hasn't once so far come close to breaking out there,  over all the decades that have passed since that country gained its independence from the British, even as several neigboring nations imploded into civil war.  During this same time period, the day-to-day risks associated with residing in Nigeria have multiplied despite the proclaimed benefits supposedly made possible by the country's fabled oil income.

Projecting into the future,  Ghana's fortunes as a regional economic powerhouse will most likely grow rather than diminish over the coming decade, while one can only look forward to a future when such a bright prognosis can realistically be made about Nigeria.
Re: Ghana As An African Model by Nobody: 2:08pm On Dec 08, 2008
the only thing Chidicris sabi na to point fingers

Wetin you don do to make Nigeria better

Even though you bring Kofi Anan or Ban Ki moon to come conduct election for Nigeria, he no go succeed unless people change their attitude.

Iwu no go monitor election for 36 states at the same time, and PDP no dey civilized too.

John Kuffor is a gentle man. The ghanaian people are humble and patient and less greedy than Nigerians. period!!!!!

This no be matter of Maurice Iwu.
Re: Ghana As An African Model by cre8tivity(f): 2:29pm On Dec 08, 2008
every country has her own issues, it would be a waste of time to attempt to compare anything. i think it would be more productive if we concentrate on great things that is happening in nigeria and find a way to improve other things that aren't so great. i'm happy for ghana, but i wouldn't give up my green passport for any other country in africa. as long as nigerians are rejecting quick fix and paying more attention to long term fix, it is a matter of time, nigeria will come alive pretty soon.
Re: Ghana As An African Model by JustGood(m): 2:30pm On Dec 08, 2008
Jakumo:

4.  Corrupt government officials are prosecuted and jailed in Ghana after being forced to cough up the loot, but in Nigeria, public officials who do NOT steal from the state treasury are regarded as eccentrics to be ridiculed and reviled for the rest of their natural lives, while successful embezzlers become the toast of the town, provided they are generous in spreading the loot about as they go.

5. Ghanaians, along with citizens of other CIVILIZED nations of the world will peacefully form neat, orderly lines in bus terminals, train stations and airports, as opposed to Nigerians who will cram up into each other crotch to butt-crack while screaming curses at line-jumpers, even as they scan for openings to jump the line themselves.

This is the main gist here.
Nigerians themselves dont like progress. they only embrace progress with their lips. They will rile you and mock you if you do things that will bring progress to the entirety of the nation
Re: Ghana As An African Model by princekevo(m): 3:03pm On Dec 08, 2008
cre8tivity:

every country has her own issues, it would be a waste of time to attempt to compare anything. i think it would be more productive if we concentrate on great things that is happening in nigeria and find a way to improve other things that aren't so great. i'm happy for ghana, but i wouldn't give up my green passport for any other country in africa. as long as nigerians are rejecting quick fix and paying more attention to long term fix, it is a matter of time, nigeria will come alive pretty soon.

I dont think anyone is talkin about giving up his or her passport as a Nigerian. The truth need to be told, i believe 90% of the nairalanders are Nigerians.Some time we have to tell ourself the truth abt our sear Nation. I think there are so many basic national issues tht Ghana is better than us, which the election is not an exception.

i think it would be more productive if we concentrate on great things that is happening in nigeria and find a way to improve other things that aren't so great.

There is nothing else great for a developing country to concentrate on as chosing the right leaders for themselve. Poor conduct of elections is the architect of all Nigerian problem and will continue to be until we learn how to elect our leaders by ourself. Once you made the wrong choice it can never be corrected along the way. Please wht great things do u expect from someone who is not qualified to move a country forward rather than 4 yrs of backwardness. I have been one of the supporters that we have a lot to learn from Ghana election since they are 100% black nation like us and also a developing nation like us.Lets jst forget about the Us.
Re: Ghana As An African Model by adconline(m): 7:19pm On Dec 08, 2008
Seun
@--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All these small African countries.   One day they are models, the next day they are fighting civil wars.

Keep living in a delusional fantasy island. You sound like you are preempting  a civil war in Ghana so that they will not be compared to Nigeria. It aint gonna happen

You are wrong to think that Nigeria is not fighting civil wars. Go ask Almajiris who killed over 300 people in JOS. Or ask MEND. There is war going on every day it’s only that folks like you choose to ignore them. What facts do you have to believe that Ghana may be heading toward a civil war? I have not read of sectarian or political violence in Ghana. My Ghanaian friend was surprised to hear that thugs hired by politicians kill and maim people in order to win elections in Nigeria.

Check out Foreign Policy Magazine on failed states and see how Nigeria ranks closely with Somalia, Sudan not Ghana
Re: Ghana As An African Model by tpia: 8:08pm On Dec 08, 2008
Re: Ghana As An African Model by kosovo(m): 8:22pm On Dec 08, 2008
i am beginning to fall in love with Ghana!
Re: Ghana As An African Model by Backslider(m): 8:50pm On Dec 08, 2008
@post

In my over a decade in Ghana I can say that Ghana has got nothing but value for Human beings. The truth is that Ghanaians are not as MONEY SEEKING AS NIGERIANS.

Where this stems from is that there is a core of Ghanaians that are not and never will be MATERIALISTIC (there is a historical reason for this). Ghanaians Just want their very simple life. (though this trend started to change with the entry of John Kufour)

It is not that Ghanaians are NATURALLY like that but they saw alot of big men in the past die and the money they stole was a waste. The core Ghanaian is not sleeping unlike Nigeria we dont have a core.

Our Parties are not based on any idealogy.

My ONLY problem with OBJ was that he never created the[b] core of THE NEW NIGERIAN[/b].  Imagine if he(obj) had raised 1.5 million 15 year olds, train them fed  housed them and taught them that they should love their nation this will be 1 out of every 200 nigerians blessed directly by a nation. The children will never forget their nation. some may forget. The ones that will not forget will infect others with OPTIMISM.

I will tell you why Ghana is what it is today.

Nkrumah had Core Ghanaians in his times and that is why Ghana did not go to war after the overthrow of Dr Nkrumah because a core Ghanaian was very powerful and satisfied. for you to know what i am talking about Nkrumah had inteligence agents at one time SPYING ON THE USA! The CIA agents in ghana tried to use tribalism to destroy Nkrumah's Government but it was not working. He was never a NEPOTIST or TRIBALIST.

When Nkrumah was finally overthrown after series of attempts on his life we saw that the CPP aparatus was disbanded. if you watch very well alot of peasants that were on the boys brigades and the verandahs boys (CORE GHANA) were severly affected and the military at that time were very indisciplined. The government of the Dankwa busia tradition came to power and was overthrown. The remanant Peasants (CORE GHANAIAN) of the CPP that had now grown and matured some in the military were now very unhappy with the Army hierachy.

The Juniors officers disagreed with the army high command and they found a voice in a naive young man called Flight luitenant Jerry John Rawlings. Rawlings was never interested in ruling and the political Elites allied to the CIA found it hard to get rid of the military high brass at the time.

Rawlings spoke his mind against the injustice of the Military high command. He had some respect amongst the military young officers because of an incident that occured. I will give the details

Rawlings was court martialed and when he was asked that he should name his accomplice he told the court martial that he was ready to die alone and that all his men were innocent and they should not be bothered.

Then word got arround the military barracks that Rawlings was about to be executed and that he did not mentioned anyone. The rare gut of this soldier is what had not been seen in the military and the young soldiers broke rawlings free out of prison and arrested most of the top military brass and were later executed.

Rawlings conducted an election in 3 months which the PNC won and   he came back to overthrow the government of Hila liman. The country at the time of Hila was a civil government.  Rawlings had to overthrow Liman because there the signs that some soldiers wanted to overthrow and that would mean if Rawlings did not do a coup He will be killed.

The Core of the Patriotic Ghana is to my estimation was about 30% to 40%. They are not Silent or pessimistic. Rawlings gave them a back their power as Dr. NKRUMAH Created them.

In all God has been with Ghana even with very few education they have here. I believe that we need Optimist or we are doomed forever.
Re: Ghana As An African Model by lucabrasi(m): 8:53pm On Dec 08, 2008
@post
ghananians  did all the shit jobs in nigeria once upon a time and moved back to their country either voluntarily or chased during the ghana must go saga,and they have given their all to better their nation unlike us,  a former minister in ghana once remarked that"they skim 10% off the top of contracts and ghananians complain,what about nigeria where a polititican skims the total 100% without nigerian saying anything"this is just a sample of how much we allow our politicians to get away with stuffs.

ghana is on the way to economic/political recovery and they are making damn sure they r not making the same mistake nigeria has made,while our own inec is in shambles and couldnt sucessfully organise an election without killings ,riots and looting they are doing"agbaya" in ghana donating vehicles to ghana's electoral body
Re: Ghana As An African Model by grafikdon: 8:53pm On Dec 08, 2008
Only people who smoke cashew leaves believe Nigeria is the African Giant. When they snap out of that fantasy world conjured by their cashew leaves tainted minds, they will that  in terms of quantity, we are the ''Giant", but when QUALITY comes into play. . . we are waaaaaaay shorter (and uglier) than Beetlejuice the midget. . .
Re: Ghana As An African Model by tpia: 8:55pm On Dec 08, 2008
Re: Ghana As An African Model by Angybabe(f): 9:11pm On Dec 08, 2008
'
Re: Ghana As An African Model by Angybabe(f): 9:14pm On Dec 08, 2008
tpia:

The only exceptions being when they meet Nigerians- it seems to bring out their worst side sometimes, because some of them start hating when they see a Nigerian. They pull out the 419 stereotypes and whatnot.

But a lot of them are easy to get along with, for the main part.
They hated Nigerians like mad but will be our friend when they need us.
Re: Ghana As An African Model by tpia: 9:27pm On Dec 08, 2008
Re: Ghana As An African Model by dayokanu(m): 10:08pm On Dec 08, 2008
@ seun,
What do you call the killings in Jos Kano and in the Niger Delta on a regular basis?

When a sitting president declared an election a do or die affair so why won selections be terrible.

Nigeria elections has been flawed since independence didnt we have wet eh in the west in 1964?

Or which election was without flaw except for June 12.

And the worst of all times April 2007 conducted by OBJ and Iwu
Re: Ghana As An African Model by Seun(m): 10:12pm On Dec 08, 2008
What do you call the killings in Jos Kano and in the Niger Delta on a regular basis?
What we're experiencing today is nothing compared to a war.  They are incomparable.
Re: Ghana As An African Model by ikeyman00(m): 11:42pm On Dec 08, 2008
dnt know anywhere else rather speak for the Uks

never, ever, trust a Ghanaian, true born nigerian haters lipsrsealed

hmmm me gone
Re: Ghana As An African Model by concrete: 3:45am On Dec 09, 2008
Ghana can teach Nigeria quite a few lessons on civilized living.

1. Electrical power outages hardly if ever occur in Ghana, while in Nigeria, electricity only exists today as the abstract subject of wistful nostalgia by grey-haired old-timers, who refer to the good old days of yore when electrical power came via overhead transmission lines, and not from smoky, roaring portable generators in the back yard.

2. Crime is so low in Ghana that it is perfectly safe to travel the highways or walk city streets at ANY hour of the day or night, whereas in Nigeria , road travel at night carries a 90% risk of armed ambush.

3. Vehicles plying the roads in Ghana look as new and roadworthy as those on UK roads, thanks to rigidly enforced car registration laws, in contrast to Nigeria where any moving object with turning wheels is deemed street-legal, just as long as the requisite bribes are paid to the men in uniforms.

4. Corrupt government officials are prosecuted and jailed in Ghana after being forced to cough up the loot, but in Nigeria, public officials who do NOT steal from the state treasury are regarded as eccentrics to be ridiculed and reviled for the rest of their natural lives, while successful embezzlers become the toast of the town, provided they are generous in spreading the loot about as they go.

My initial reaction to this was laughter but in reality, I should be cry

Nigeria will is a sorry excuse for a country
Re: Ghana As An African Model by Sammy107d(m): 6:34am On Dec 09, 2008
Its funny and respectable how adulations are always showered from the Nigerian side- when most of em ghanians online are just disparaging cynics regardless of the issue.

Respect to y'alls objectivity!
Re: Ghana As An African Model by smurf1(f): 6:47am On Dec 09, 2008
Can't say much about Ghana though, undecided so much for Nigeria showing their leadership role too, lipsrsealed
Re: Ghana As An African Model by JustGood(m): 1:13pm On Dec 09, 2008
tpia:

all this stress over a BBC report?

whats the big deal?

Only thing I noticed about BBC and Ghana is they tend not to run any negative articles on the country.

However, they're not afraid to do so when its Nigeria or some other places.

This may also be reflecting the general attitudes of the citizens of the respective countries in real life. Nigerians tend to badmouth Nigeria. Ghanaians don't badmouth Ghana.
There are Nigerians and Ghanaians working at the BBC. Go figure.

VERY TRUE INDEED
Re: Ghana As An African Model by otokx(m): 1:28pm On Dec 09, 2008
Did you see their election figures? Not the millions that IWU is fond of declaring but some small small thousands. Not where Mr. A will get 2 million and then Mr. B will get 20000.
Re: Ghana As An African Model by Sammy107d(m): 6:57pm On Dec 09, 2008
jus giv it up
Re: Ghana As An African Model by adconline(m): 10:09pm On Dec 09, 2008
tpia

all this stress over a BBC report?

whats the big deal?

Only thing I noticed about BBC and Ghana is they tend not to run any negative articles on the country.

However, they're not afraid to do so when its Nigeria or some other places.

This may also be reflecting the general attitudes of the citizens of the respective countries in real life. Nigerians tend to badmouth Nigeria. Ghanaians don't badmouth Ghana.

There are Nigerians and Ghanaians working at the BBC. Go figure.

Maybe you should  ask Europeans and Americans  why they are more critical of their govts than Nigerians. The point is that there is really nothing good in politics to talk about in Nigeria if the frame of reference is GHANA. Ghana beats Nigeria in every thing. Check Foreign Policy Magazine of failed state.
Check Transparence International, Check world bank and IMF Stats on economy, Check best ruled African countries by ranking,
Check Human Development Index. Check world University rankings. So what do you say about these indicators? Maybe they are occupied by Nigerians in order to bad mouth their country. Time to face the truth. Nigeria sucks and Ghana has more values for democracy than Nigeria.

Seun,  maybe we need to kill 3000 people in order to value human life.  Isnt Ghana better given the fact that it values human life than Nigeria. At least it has not killed a soul let alone over 300 folks over religion.

(1) (2) (Reply)

DONALD TRUMP!!! -----Trending pictures Of The Most Powerful Man In The World. / President Donald Trump Fires Back At Eminem; "I'm The NEW Slim Shady" / Murderer Of Soleimani Killed In US Plane Downing In Afghanistan: Sources

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.