Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m (10268 Views)

FG Finally Sells Nitel/mtel For $252m / Finally, NITEL Gets New Buyer. / Reversal Of Nitel/mtel's Sale To Transcorp: What Do U Think? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by Nobody: 9:23am On Dec 19, 2014
Can you please help us sell GEJ to Otuoke market square

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by GlorifiedTunde(m): 9:23am On Dec 19, 2014
bugs1:
The National Council on Privatisation (NCP) on Thursday approved the sale of the liquidated Nigeria Telecommunication Plc. and its subsidiary, Mtel, to NATCOM Consortium for $252million.

The Chairman of NCP’s Technical Committee, Mr Atedo Peterside, told State House correspondents in Abuja that the approval was one of the decisions taken at a meeting of the council presided over by Vice-President Namadi Sambo.

According to Vice-President Namadi Sambo, the ratification of the sale by the NCP marks the end of the entire bidding process and what is now left is to conclude the necessary documentation.

He noted that the NITEL/Mtel transaction was different from what happened with sale of power plants because Nitel was not ongoing concern, but a liquidated one and no longer in business.

“In view of this, the liquidator will through the court pay some verified claims of creditors of NITEL/Mtel, which, therefore, sidesteps the issue of third party creditors.

“But it does not preclude the government from settling any obligations it feels like,“ he further explained.

Read Full Story
http://monitor9ja.com/2014/12/fg-approves-sale-nitelmtel-252m/

This is good
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by tonididdy(m): 9:24am On Dec 19, 2014
Firefire:
Good move to reposition Nigeria...
hyprocrite

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by onatisi(m): 9:25am On Dec 19, 2014
Dabss:
I am not sure nitel is even worth $100million.
nitel has huge market potentials but resurrecting it will cost billions,I think this is the best option for it. I know many ppl will be surprised they eventually got a buyer for it. I think the buyers have their eyes on nitel licenses .
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by Firefire(m): 9:25am On Dec 19, 2014
tonididdy:
hyprocrite

If I am hypocrite what is APC and U
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by AAlozie(m): 9:27am On Dec 19, 2014
A time will come when GEJ and his cohorts will give accounts of their loots. Buhari is watching in 3D

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by tonididdy(m): 9:28am On Dec 19, 2014
Is this man turning Nigeria into a capitalist economy?
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by Greater9ja: 9:29am On Dec 19, 2014
bugs1:
The National Council on Privatisation (NCP) on Thursday approved the sale of the liquidated Nigeria Telecommunication Plc. and its subsidiary, Mtel, to NATCOM Consortium for $252million.

The Chairman of NCP’s Technical Committee, Mr Atedo Peterside, told State House correspondents in Abuja that the approval was one of the decisions taken at a meeting of the council presided over by Vice-President Namadi Sambo.

According to Vice-President Namadi Sambo, the ratification of the sale by the NCP marks the end of the entire bidding process and what is now left is to conclude the necessary documentation.

He noted that the NITEL/Mtel transaction was different from what happened with sale of power plants because Nitel was not ongoing concern, but a liquidated one and no longer in business.

“In view of this, the liquidator will through the court pay some verified claims of creditors of NITEL/Mtel, which, therefore, sidesteps the issue of third party creditors.

“But it does not preclude the government from settling any obligations it feels like,“ he further explained.

Read Full Story
http://monitor9ja.com/2014/12/fg-approves-sale-nitelmtel-252m/

How can a country sell its telcom backbone ? This Government is clueless
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by Elueski(m): 9:32am On Dec 19, 2014
kestolove95:
gej knows his leavin next year so his selling evritin very soon he will sell aso-rock..dix man don tire mi nd my unborn children.

You will live and see GEJ voted again in 2015. Mind you he is the commander in chief. It's not easy to defeat incumbent Presido.....
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by happyzed0(f): 9:32am On Dec 19, 2014
kestolove95:
gej knows his leavin next year so his selling evritin very soon he will sell aso-rock..dix man don tire mi nd my unborn children.
is tym u face reality he is d next president. Cm 2015
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by tonididdy(m): 9:33am On Dec 19, 2014
Firefire:

If I am hypocrite what is APC and U
don't be carried away by the crumbs of the National cake u're currently enjoying.

Think bout the future of Nigeria(ns).

Adieous...do that which u know is right.
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by iamord(m): 9:33am On Dec 19, 2014
And who negotiated this.. Its too cheap !! At least 800m to a billion.
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by 100Cents: 9:34am On Dec 19, 2014
Oil refineries should also be sold.

I am sure some of these moribund government corporations were almost sold in the past but personal interests and labour generated controversies stalled them..

I wish they could contract NNPC to a foreign oil company like Mobil Unlimited.

Majority of Nigerian officials are just destroyers and value eroders..

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by zionexcellence: 9:35am On Dec 19, 2014
I ll not vote jonah again. I am very dissapointed
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by 100Cents: 9:38am On Dec 19, 2014
princetigris:
Which way nigeria?

Are you the owner of Sambisa forest ?

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by lordmayor4(m): 9:40am On Dec 19, 2014
Only nitel assets alone is more than $1 billion... who is fooling who in this country? SMH... and some Nigerians will support this here on nairaland? Am not against privatization of nitel but am against the price it was sold off!
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by iamord(m): 9:40am On Dec 19, 2014
100Cents:

I am sure some of these moribund government corporations were almost sold in the past but personal interests and labour generated controversies stalled them..

Majority of africans are just destroyers and value eroders..
we only know one thing.. CONSUME! No saving for rainy season Or caring about the unborn .. Its all about now!!..so short sighted!! Blacks have said times without number that they can do it.. And handle affairs. They have failed over and over again.. Until we structure our environment , education, culture, character in a way that will remove the negative attitudes that have evolved in us and plagued africa for centuries. And emancipated from mental slavery . We are not going anywhere!!!

3 Likes

Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by erico2k2(m): 9:46am On Dec 19, 2014
SuperModerator:
Privatisation is the only thing PDP lead Government know how to do.

later, they will say GEJ performed than all our previous leaders... I will always ask who built those infrastructures he is privatising if not the previous leaders

he keeps selling what Nigeria spent years and money to build to his proxies

here is one of my previous posts;

try n thimk like an Economist for a sec.name one of the bigest telicom company in the world and who owns it.I got two names in the Uk. VIRGIN MEDIA .BT privatly owned even Royal Mail was sold

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by Pavarottii(m): 9:48am On Dec 19, 2014
Nigerians sha! You do something, they complain, you do nothing, they complain, you try to do the two, they say stick to one!
My OP! Is that this will create jobs, and will also boost the economy of Nigeria, their rates can't be that expensive because we have other telecommunications, and this will bring competition to the the telecommunication sector, and will push others to cut down their price, and this will also help in our diversification from oil dependency because the money from the sales, if managed well will generate more revenue also, in US, do u know how many private telecommunication company exists there, so we need more, somebody said something about reviving it, My brother for how many years, even if you give it to a Nigerian, he will use small and eat the rest, and still give us cheap results, meaning we will still be on the same page but few pockets will be enriched!
And the truth be told, when last did any of us use a Nitel line
This is a welcome development!!!

God bless Nigeria!
God bless FG!

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by Pavarottii(m): 9:53am On Dec 19, 2014
zionexcellence:
I ll not vote jonah again. I am very dissapointed
Why? All this organisations should have been privatised b4 now, but because of selfish interest of past leaders because of the allocations they collect on this, that's why we are here today!
So tell me why u r dissapointed and provide a SOLUTION to Nitel!
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by SuperModerator: 10:00am On Dec 19, 2014
erico2k2:

try n thimk like an Economist for a sec.name one of the bigest telicom company in the world and who owns it.I got two names in the Uk. VIRGIN MEDIA .BT privatly owned even Royal Mail was sold
that is because government owned telecommunication companies don't go international.
the biggest telecommunication company in China is owned by the government.
you can't expect to see NITEL in Ghana, it is government owned
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by Nobody: 10:01am On Dec 19, 2014
op pls inform me when MR president is going to sell nigeria
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by SuperModerator: 10:04am On Dec 19, 2014
100Cents:

Majority of Nigerian officials are just destroyers and value eroders..
if you don't know anything about economics, please keep shut.
it is not by force to comment
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by princetigris(m): 10:08am On Dec 19, 2014
100Cents:

Are you the owner of Sambisa forest ?
I own few plots of land there
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by LORDI(m): 10:12am On Dec 19, 2014
kestolove95:
did you read the post?,NITEL is liquidated,why not sell it private individual who can rebuild the company.
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by LORDI(m): 10:18am On Dec 19, 2014
I see ignorant people blaming GEJ for the liquidation of NITEL,NITEL has been liquadated since the time of obasanjo,since the introduction of MTN,GLo and rest into nigeria,obviously NITEL couldn't survive the competition from these private firms.
Why spending money into reforming NITEL when you can sell it to priviate individual who would develop the company,however creating JOB for more nigerians.
GEJ TILL 2019
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by Kelly32: 10:20am On Dec 19, 2014
kestolove95:

Its quite unfortunate that this is the best way you can interpret this information, very third world and myopic view.
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by Nobody: 10:21am On Dec 19, 2014
Dear All,

About two years ago, I commented about marginalization, parochial and narrow minded behavior of GEJ government toward the South West people.
Later last year, after the house of reps public hearing on Oduah scandal, I did brief analysis on the collective will of two regions in Nigeria to collectively ruin Nigeria through corruption and mis-governance as a way of getting back the wealth of the nation they claimed has eluded them for years. Yet, they need votes from the remaining four regions to win the presidential election. The Navy cannot prosecute any illegal bunkering activities being perpetrated by people from these regions. Later, the bunker will be released and the activity termed legal. They formed a network
covering judiciary to pro government activists carrying out pro - government rally. Pro - government rally attacking issues based rally with the support of law enforcement agency. Now, all major activists and labour groups are silent having known the direction of the present government.

For the first time in the history of Nigeria, Minister of Petroleum is shielded from any public and parliamentary interrogation. Stella Oduah, having been indicted by the house of reps in public hearing involving the Minister of Finance, Controller General of Customs and relevant agencies was prevented from appearing at the Senate three times. Mrs Bolaji Osomo, the Minister for Housing under Obj was unceremoniously removed from office by Obj for for FG houses sold to PDP members by complaints from some PDP members who lost in the deal, SHE APPEARED TWICE BEFORE THE SENATE COMMITTEE HEADED BY SENATOR IKECHUKWU OBIORA. Senator David Mark was still the senate president at this period. When she was removed, she wept openly for committing no crime.

Prof. (Mrs) Adenike Grange, the Minister of Health under Yar'adua was humiliated out office for giving 20 million naira to the health committee of both the Senate and House of Reps. Despite her immense contribution to the health sector locally and internationally, she was humiliated out of office, she wept openly.

Now, concerning privatization issue under discussion and an area I am well versed, Bola Onagoruwa, another female from South West was unceremoniously removed by Goodluck Ebele Jonathan as the DG of BPE for being indicted by Senate Committee over the sales of FG shares at Eleme Petrochemical company. As I said in my earlier protest immediately she was removed, she has no power whatsoever to sell or even advise FG on the issue. I said only Mr. Atedo Peterside (a financial expert) and chairman of the technical committee and the VP Namadi Sambo have such power and the level of connections and contacts require for such deal are far beyond Bola Onagoruwa. They only used the opportunity to remove a South West person and replace with person from another region for smooth corrupt operation. The same National Assembly through House of Reps indicted Aruma Otteh, the DG of SEC, but because she is not from South West GEJ retained her but still removed Harold Demurin over indictment by NA over Diana Plane crash.

Anybody travelling from South East and South South South to Lagos will observe that good roads stop at Ore (Ondo State) the entry point to South West.Whenever I travelled to the East or South South and I get to Ore on my way back to Lagos, I do cry bitterly internally. GEJ awarded the roads and tied the reconstruction to his second term in office and to loans by infrastructure bank ( Lagos - Ibadan) to be collected back through toll gates. Our (south West) roads are to be constructed when the oil price has fallen and little money available for capital projects. The spirit of South west will not allow Doyin Okupe, Reuben Abati, Musiliu Obanikoro, Mimiko and the rest of them to have peace. Even I may include Yinka Odumakin into the list.
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by LORDI(m): 10:23am On Dec 19, 2014
Greater9ja:

How can a country sell its telcom backbone ? This Government is clueless
has NITEL been operational?.why not sell it.
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by 100Cents: 10:28am On Dec 19, 2014
SuperModerator:

if you don't know anything about economics, please keep shut.
it is not by force to comment

Yes sir, you know economics online..

We know what works..
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by Nobody: 10:32am On Dec 19, 2014
Dear All,

About two years ago, I commented about marginalization, parochial and narrow minded behavior of GEJ government toward the South West people.
Later last year, after the house of reps public hearing on Oduah scandal, I did brief analysis on the collective will of two regions in Nigeria to collectively ruin Nigeria through corruption and mis-governance as a way of getting back the wealth of the nation they claimed has eluded them for years. Yet, they need votes from the remaining four regions to win the presidential election. The Navy cannot prosecute any illegal bunkering activities being perpetrated by people from these regions. Later, the bunker will be released and the activity termed legal. They formed a network
covering judiciary to pro government activists carrying out pro - government rally. Pro - government rally attacking issues based rally with the support of law enforcement agency. Now, all major activists and labour groups are silent having known the direction of the present government.

For the first time in the history of Nigeria, Minister of Petroleum is shielded from any public and parliamentary interrogation. Stella Oduah, having been indicted by the house of reps in public hearing involving the Minister of Finance, Controller General of Customs and relevant agencies was prevented from appearing at the Senate three times. Mrs Bolaji Osomo, the Minister for Housing under Obj was unceremoniously removed from office by Obj for for FG houses sold to PDP members by complaints from some PDP members who lost in the deal, SHE APPEARED TWICE BEFORE THE SENATE COMMITTEE HEADED BY SENATOR IKECHUKWU OBIORA. Senator David Mark was still the senate president at this period. When she was removed, she wept openly for committing no crime.

Prof. (Mrs) Adenike Grange, the Minister of Health under Yar'adua was humiliated out office for giving 20 million naira to the health committee of both the Senate and House of Reps. Despite her immense contribution to the health sector locally and internationally, she was humiliated out of office, she wept openly.

Now, concerning privatization issue under discussion and an area I am well versed, Bola Onagoruwa, another female from South West was unceremoniously removed by Goodluck Ebele Jonathan as the DG of BPE for being indicted by Senate Committee over the sales of FG shares at Eleme Petrochemical company. As I said in my earlier protest immediately she was removed, she has no power whatsoever to sell or even advise FG on the issue. I said only Mr. Atedo Peterside (a financial expert) and chairman of the technical committee and the VP Namadi Sambo have such power and the level of connections and contacts require for such deal are far beyond Bola Onagoruwa. They only used the opportunity to remove a South West person and replace with person from another region for smooth corrupt operation. The same National Assembly through House of Reps indicted Aruma Otteh, the DG of SEC, but because she is not from South West GEJ retained her but still removed Harold Demurin over indictment by NA over Diana Plane crash.

Anybody travelling from South East and South South South to Lagos will observe that good roads stop at Ore (Ondo State) the entry point to South West.Whenever I travelled to the East or South South and I get to Ore on my way back to Lagos, I do cry bitterly internally. GEJ awarded the roads and tied the reconstruction to his second term in office and to loans by infrastructure bank ( Lagos - Ibadan) to be collected back through toll gates. Our (south West) roads are to be constructed when the oil price has fallen and little money available for capital projects. The spirit of South west will not allow Doyin Okupe, Reuben Abati, Musiliu Obanikoro, Mimiko and the rest of them to have peace. Even I may include Yinka Odumakin into the list.
Re: FG Approves Sale Of NITEL/MTEL For $252m by Larryhoover(m): 10:38am On Dec 19, 2014
donmalcolm21:
I always derive joy when nigeria govt privatise all this elephant assets, it allows the govt to channel scarce resources into. Productive ventures and the money accrued from it will go a long way to cushion the effect of crude oil slide. "This man Gej dey do work wey I take my korkoro eye see" Gej till 2019
Had it been u were among the over 60% of Nigerian population living below a dollar per day, am very sure u shouldn't b uttering this arrant nonsence.... U better wake up and face the reality... people are clamouring for change, can't just wait to see next year valentine's day when your own political mentor will b sent packing.......BUHARI/OSIBANJO 2015

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Atedo Peterside On COVID-19: 'Nigerian Women Are Not More Responsible Than Men' / Investors Dump 40% Stocks Over Poor Corporate Governance / How Much Will It Cost To Start A Very Decent Barbing Salon?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.