Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:03 AM

Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter (48596 Views)

Nigeria’s UN Mission Embarrasses President Buhari - Sahara Reporters / Thug Embarrasses Tinubu During Accreditation / Doyin Okupe Blasts Buhari Again On Twitter – Nigerians Fires Back – Read Tweet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by zoomzu(f): 10:52pm On Dec 19, 2014
They are all in confused state of mind.....APC don break their back bone. It is time for change.

1 Like

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by gawu1: 10:55pm On Dec 19, 2014
mikeansy:
Those criticising the president are the very people trivialising stealing and the seriousness of what goes on in Nigeria

Stealing is not corruption

Public officials diverting public money are thieves, that's the point the president is making
My friend, no body trivialises stealing other than the president himself who said ''common stealing people called it corruption'' on national TV some time ago. That was the beginning of the whole issues.
So stop blaming those that take exception with this his mind set that ''stealing is common'' and not even qualified to be called a corrupt act or categorized as corruption at all.
At any rate, no matter how hard one may try to distinguish the two, the fact remains that all two must be frowned upon by any reasonable society because their effects are not distinguishable. What stealing does, corruption does. There is no mid away about this. Take for instance, the issue of poor infrastructure facilities

3 Likes

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by Nobody: 11:07pm On Dec 19, 2014
Stealing is not corruption n also corruption is not stealing..Jonathan till 2014.5....
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by Osode: 11:17pm On Dec 19, 2014
mikeansy:

In the scheme of things calling a man corrupt when he is a common thief trivialises the seriousness.

That's the point the president is making

Dont mind the jannjaweeeds,
Stealing is an individual act of one man... (the things that costumary court judges sentence people to twenty strokes of the cane for)
Corruption however is the SYSTEM that allows people to steal... the former fertilizer Subsidies that the northern elite loved so much.... the oil subsidy that we have kept (..ironically against GEJs better intentions ...and still turn around and accuse him of benefiting from Something he himself detests and wants removed 'yesterday' !!)
Nairaland and armchair Presidents
Nairaland and armchair Commander in Cheifs..
Nairaland and 'Hot Air'.
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by coldFLARES1(m): 11:21pm On Dec 19, 2014
tuborme:

I am not a partisan politician, but truth be told...nigerians do not deserve good leaders because of our attitude towards politics. We call a spade a spade when it favours us. These two words are clearly defined in english language and they mean very different things. It is just like saying that fornication and adultery are thesame thing. The president was trying to make distinction on the different approaches being used to fight theft and corruption in government. The approach you use in caching a thief is purely different in the approach you use in caching a ghost worker. We should not politicise everything in this country.
Ogbeni, deploy your scholarship the much you can in making the distinction between stealing and corruption, Na your own wahala be that. But when you view this tweet and have the benefit of analysing it with a transcript of the related Presidential Media Chat (assuming you just surfaced from an extended hibernation), then you'l know that the guy, Okupe, aint loyal!

2 Likes

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by JurassicPark: 11:27pm On Dec 19, 2014
Lol..

I have never seen a government this clueless, surrounded by clueless advisers and aides.

Trust Nigerians, Okupe was served classic replies grin

I am tired of talking 9ja issues btw.

Oil price is on the decline now, so whatever dem like, make dem do

Even self, a Nigerian passport can't even attract the cheapest of favours anywhere in the world, so *wtf* undecided

2 Likes

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by BlackBaron: 11:34pm On Dec 19, 2014
To the Okupe defenders trying to cop out from an obvious self created crater

Under what instance of corruption were Ibori and Alams convicted?

Did they steal public funds or not... undecided

There's also something called a Thesaurus btw

1 Like

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by rexoluj(m): 12:07am On Dec 20, 2014
TheMadame:
If a PHD holder does not know that stealing is corruption,then he should go back to all the schools he attended and ask for a refund.
Vote wisely,your vote is your power.

PhD in Zoology grin

1 Like

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by ogtavia(m): 12:20am On Dec 20, 2014
mikeansy:
In the real sense of the word "some" forms of stealing can qualify as corruption. Some cant.

E.g. A public officer diverting public funds to private accounts qualify as both stealing and corruption

A public officer using his office to ease the process of getting his relative employed qualifies as corruption but that's not necessarily stealing

But an armed robber waiting for vehicles with guns and robbing people is pure stealing but that is not corruption.

The essence of the word corrupt or corruption assumes some level of responsibility and dignity that is being tarnished or adulterated due to some malpractices. Nobody looks up to a thief with some dignity or expect them to operate on a higher moral pedestal that is why it is out of place to describe a thief with the word corrupt.

Hence those who try to distinguish between the word stealing and corruption are not in anyway trivialising corruption. If anything they are emphasizing the enormity of what is going on in public offices in Nigeria when they try to draw a distinction between stealing and corruption. They are arguing that the seriousness of siphoning public funds into private accounts gets downplayed with the word corruption when in truth what is happening is outright stealing.

In 2006 Nuhu Ribadu made a similar argument about Sani Yerima of Zamfara State while accusing Governors of Corruption. In the case of Zamfara he emphasized that what is going on there is outright stealing without the involvement of any 3rd parties because in his words Sani Yerima was simply diverting State funds directly from State Accounts to private accounts. He is not even disguising it by setting up contactors with fronts like you currently have in Lagos where Tinubu's proxy companies do all sorts of work for the Lagos State Government and inflating cost without being subject to competition.

So eventhough in terms of technicalities of English language "Stealing is not corruption" may be wrong. I understand the sentiments behind the argument. There is some truth in it.
What goes on in public offices in Nigeria is stealing but in most developed countries you have corruption in public offices!

So u mean,Stealing is corruptn but nt all corruptn is stealing hence should be treated in context.....whether it is stealing or corruptn...we don't want any...

3 Likes

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by oliy24(m): 12:50am On Dec 20, 2014
mikeansy:
In the real sense of the word "some" forms of stealing can qualify as corruption. Some cant.

E.g. A public officer diverting public funds to private accounts qualify as both stealing and corruption

A public officer using his office to ease the process of getting his relative employed qualifies as corruption but that's not necessarily stealing

But an armed robber waiting for vehicles with guns and robbing people is pure stealing but that is not corruption.

The essence of the word corrupt or corruption assumes some level of responsibility and dignity that is being tarnished or adulterated due to some malpractices. Nobody looks up to a thief with some dignity or expect them to operate on a higher moral pedestal that is why it is out of place to describe a thief with the word corrupt.

Hence those who try to distinguish between the word stealing and corruption are not in anyway trivialising corruption. If anything they are emphasizing the enormity of what is going on in public offices in Nigeria when they try to draw a distinction between stealing and corruption. They are arguing that the seriousness of siphoning public funds into private accounts gets downplayed with the word corruption when in truth what is happening is outright stealing.

In 2006 Nuhu Ribadu made a similar argument about Sani Yerima of Zamfara State while accusing Governors of Corruption. In the case of Zamfara he emphasized that what is going on there is outright stealing without the involvement of any 3rd parties because in his words Sani Yerima was simply diverting State funds directly from State Accounts to private accounts. He is not even disguising it by setting up contactors with fronts like you currently have in Lagos where Tinubu's proxy companies do all sorts of work for the Lagos State Government and inflating cost without being subject to competition.

So eventhough in terms of technicalities of English language "Stealing is not corruption" may be wrong. I understand the sentiments behind the argument. There is some truth in it.
What goes on in public offices in Nigeria is stealing but in most developed countries you have corruption in public offices!

brother you are not justified. all stealing are corruption but not all corruption are stealing. but gej said stealing is not corruption.

3 Likes

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by Nobody: 12:51am On Dec 20, 2014
docadams:

It's a cross we must bear till the end of this era of ignomy.
Of course my brother

1 Like

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by kyrianomang(m): 12:55am On Dec 20, 2014
BossAyuk:

The same Doyin Okupe that was abusing Amaechi on his appointment as Campaign Director for APC is now indirectly Campaigning for APC?? shocked Welcome to the Irony of Life grin
ur nt academically sound so u wont understand.same to buhari bt d prof wil put him on d knw.i bliv jona govt of technocrats
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by seedorfg(m): 2:21am On Dec 20, 2014
Clueless is not daftness = Jonathan

2 Likes

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by VellyG(m): 2:25am On Dec 20, 2014
When Buhari comes in I pray you can get the freedom of speech with which you have been insulting your president with. I Have never seen a president been abused with the way he has been abused . well that's naija for you. If u ask me GEJ is practicing true democracy . tomorrow we will start blaming other African countries for disrespecting us after using derogatory message on our president on a public forum.
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by judiciarypalava: 2:41am On Dec 20, 2014
OP '1stcitizen' Why do you guys like sending wrong impression? Can you please explain what is embarrassing in asking a question and the link to GEJ. Yes he is an aid to the most abused president and somebody like you will always not see any good he has done because you refuse to see it or probably you are blindfolded. Lets keep abusing ourselves and we think we are abusing GEJ, after all we have megabytes and can write.
And l tell you, Atiku sharing between $2,000 and $5,000 and Tinubu/Amechi sharing between $4,000 and $10,000 just in primaries doesn't send a signal to you. Then you are a hypocrite.
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by Imoy(m): 3:52am On Dec 20, 2014
ofala:
What else do we all expect from "Bastard" Doyin Okupe!?

Do u have a father at home? Is dis how u insult ur father?

Have some respect boi.

Criticize but don't resort to insult.

Thank u.
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by ofala(m): 3:56am On Dec 20, 2014
I expect you to have read some of my posts before quoting me and if you don't see well...why did I put bastard in brackets?

Because Mr Okupe himself asked Nigerians to call him BASTARD if APC survives 6 Months.

Enough of this but I am for issue based discuss
Imoy:

Do u have a father at home? Is dis how u insult ur father?

Have some respect boi.

Criticize but don't resort to insult.

Thank u.

2 Likes

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by tuborme: 4:49am On Dec 20, 2014
philips70:

My friend GEJ was not asked about robbers in the streets. He was rather asked questions bothering on corruption in government. Call SPADES SPADES. What he did is what is called artful dodging not knowing he was undoing himself defending corruption in his government. We sound stupid when we defend the indefensible.
the president said that some people are doing outright stealing in the government and not just being corrupt. Get it into your tick skull. In 1984, Buhari regime did not know the difference between the two and bundled everything as corruption....the legal position of the two are different.
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by tuborme: 4:51am On Dec 20, 2014
oliy24:

brother you are not justified. all stealing are corruption but not all corruption are stealing. but gej said stealing is not corruption.
use your dictionary or ask a lawyer.
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by bayulll01(m): 5:24am On Dec 20, 2014
mikeansy:
Those criticising the president are the very people trivialising stealing and the seriousness of what goes on in Nigeria

Stealing is not corruption

Public officials diverting public money are thieves, that's the point the president is making
so on the contrast stealing is still not curruption,and these are future fathers,hold on seat tight and watch ur life becomes more miserable than before
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by bayulll01(m): 5:32am On Dec 20, 2014
judiciarypalava:
OP '1stcitizen' Why do you guys like sending wrong impression? Can you please explain what is embarrassing in asking a question and the link to GEJ. Yes he is an aid to the most abused president and somebody like you will always not see any good he has done because you refuse to see it or probably you are blindfolded. Lets keep abusing ourselves and we think we are abusing GEJ, after all we have megabytes and can write.
And l tell you, Atiku sharing between $2,000 and $5,000 and Tinubu/Amechi sharing between $4,000 and $10,000 just in primaries doesn't send a signal to you. Then you are a hypocrite.
looser infact a very bad one,u are among the delegates abi,oloshi keep on defend the indefensible and telling lies to dumb people like u that will believe,me aint eating that

1 Like

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by Nobody: 6:07am On Dec 20, 2014
MyNameIsMyName:
Well according to the oxford dictionary, stealing is not corruption
U can c....thieves alike....u shuld hav checked wikipedia also to back ur ogas

1 Like

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by philips70(m): 6:13am On Dec 20, 2014
tuborme:
the president said that some people are doing outright stealing in the government and not just being corrupt. Get it into your tick skull. In 1984, Buhari regime did not know the difference between the two and bundled everything as corruption....the legal position of the two are different.

Your skull might not be as thick as mine to realize Mr President was inadvertently defending his corrupt clan. It's not rocket science. These things only happen here. I work in a global corporation where integrity and compliance is taken more seriously than making more profits for the company. You could get promotion immediately after your actions burn down a whole building but get sacked for misappropriating 5 Naira. Its as crazy and serious as that.
GEJ must have turned a 5 minute lawyer just because he was asked a simple question bothering on monumental stealing going on in his government. You guys really take Nigerians for fools.

4 Likes

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by Gordieshegz(m): 6:13am On Dec 20, 2014
Dbboy:
Let make this clear can you define stealing explicitly as corruption or the other way round is corruption stealing?

We argue without making any meaning of what we are arguing about.

That popular singer,African china,had debased your position long ago...poor man wey thief maggi,them go show him face for crime fighter,,,rich man wey ....a man was sentenced to 10years imprisonment for stealing a fowl for christmas,,how much punishment had been meted on demeji bankole for his corruption charges..if I should conclude,I would say stealing is punishable while corrpution is justifiable in nigerian presidential connotative meanings..so I don't blame GEJ finding a resounding
difference to the two clearly interchangeable terminologies...well,they have said; "the laws are like chains in the hand of the poor but cobwebs in the hands of the power that be"...This nation must be rescued before its inevitable doom...

1 Like

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by abdulhaziz: 6:28am On Dec 20, 2014
They will soon begin to expose themselves before the whole Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by DaBullIT(m): 6:29am On Dec 20, 2014
The Barsteurd has spoken, its the first sign of decamping to APC , but guess what, We are not accepting new applicants grin

1 Like

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by FelaLives(m): 6:41am On Dec 20, 2014
With the Likes of Doyin Oku gbe,BaManga Tukur,Bode George o,Great Grand Dad Pa Tony Anenih o,Labran Maku,Mr 360* turned-around R'Abati o,etc etc..still GIVEN Positions of influence & Power in d Polity,or so Called Corridors of Power'? mehnn! we deff' got a 'Looong way to UHuru'
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by Louisville141(m): 6:52am On Dec 20, 2014
[quote author=Alexk2 post=29027946]this is a shame....God will rescue this country from the hand of selfish, greedy and corrupt set of people....be it in pdp or apc.

pls., be wise with your vote this time...don't vote for a thief holding an umbrella or sweeping with a broom...vote for people who have the right history to give us the change we all need.

[/q
uote]

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by Motolank: 7:01am On Dec 20, 2014
mankand:

Already I'm progressive. I became progressive when I stopped believing in the government. Both parties represent the same corporation, they lead to the same slaughter house.

At this point I support the other side of the coin
grin
Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by oliy24(m): 7:28am On Dec 20, 2014
calaway:

[size=8pt]corruption is prostitution for grades in school in school or promotion at work, corruption is police collected bribe and allowing a traffic offender go. A corrupt person as for inducement to do his job, a corrupt person is morally bankrupt.

Stealing is taking what is not your own with out permission of the owner or owners,

a thief is a criminal there is a big difference!!!!
[/size]

I can vow, you school in Igbo land. I did my nysc there, I said it, Education should be scrap in Igbo land. they should travel to Lagos to get education if they desire. thank God most of my friend arguing with me are on naira land, hope they are reading all this. if PEJ was a lecturer and my 2 years old neighbour English is far better. and good Jonathan did a mistake, its not a crime. but someone defending it is main reason why the igbos education be scrap

1 Like

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by Nobody: 7:42am On Dec 20, 2014
MyNameIsMyName:
Well according to the oxford dictionary, stealing is not corruption
Don't be too smart man! GEJ was asked about STEALING in government offices which he said isn't corruption. Wat do u call using one's office to enrich oneself Don't defend what isn't defendable! I'm getting angry!

1 Like

Re: Doyin Okupe Embarrasses GEJ On Twitter by wiseguy(m): 8:01am On Dec 20, 2014
mikeansy:

In the scheme of things calling a man corrupt when he is a common thief trivialises the seriousness.

That's the point the president is making

It trivialises it because we have sunk so low that stealing has become normal and even celebrated. Any political appointee is xpected by his family and community to steal as much as he can using his position. So it has become normal. Otherwise, there is nothing trivial about stealing. A thief is a corrupted individual. Our forefathers never trivialized stealing. It was a serious offence in most communities and offenders are often seriously dealt with, even killed or banished from the community.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Kano Elections: People On The Run As Thugs Disrupt Polls (Photos) / 'I Am Doing Fine' - Atiku Speaks From Dubai, Pictured With Ben Bruce / Protest Against IPOB As Nnamdi Kanu Appears In Court Today (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.